Movies We've Seen Thread

The revenant -10 academy award nominations for this?  Lol

I agree. 

I liked the movie.  For a 2.5 hour movie, it was not boring even though it was not an action packed thriller.

I have read he is now the Oscar front runner. If he wins, I do not know what it says about him and the Academy as he did not have much dialogue, can barely speak for a good portion of the movie and was being carried around a for a good portion of the movie.

I agree. 

I liked the movie.  For a 2.5 hour movie, it was not boring even though it was not an action packed thriller.

I have read he is now the Oscar front runner. If he wins, I do not know what it says about him and the Academy as he did not have much dialogue, can barely speak for a good portion of the movie and was being carried around a for a good portion of the movie.

The whole thing is pretty lame at this point. They did to him exactly what they did to Scorsese, where they now have to award him for something, even if its not his best work, just because he got screwed over a bunch of other times.

Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas. That sh*t is unforgivable. Or Redford winning over Raging Bull with that boring ass flick with Mary Tyler Moore.

Most overplayed thing in Hollywood right now... and that's saying a lot. I'm actually astonished that he's still willing to do this as part of his roles... and I'm surprised Tarantino still gets a kick out of himself for asking for it so much.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the movie... but yea, not surprised that Tarantino is going back to the well on this.

Usually, after seeing a Tarantino movie, I'm thinking about it for a few days after, whether it's a piece of dialogue, or a performance, or a theme. But with this one, I instantly forgot all about it right away. The only character that was even a little bit interesting was Mannix, and even he wasn't all that likeable. The whole thing just felt like a movie that some hacky Taranatino fanboy slapped together. Disappointing.

I respect the effort put in for The Revenant. But the story is just kind of not good, and the characters are really poorly developed. And I don't get going into all those extremes to get the shots and lighting right, yet not shooting on film or doing any sort of special showings in different formats. Watching it on a good digital screen with a digital projector was fine, but at the end of the day, if that's the only way they're offering it, the finished product is nothing more than a film with interesting lighting.

Started to watch Sisters the other night.  Did not like.  We turned it off.  Ended up watching Catch-22.  Interesting, but hard to follow and obviously total sh*t compared to the book.   About the only moment that wasn't significantly better in the book was Hungry Joe.  I'll probably have to read the book again because other than the characters, I didn't remember much. 

Usually, after seeing a Tarantino movie, I'm thinking about it for a few days after, whether it's a piece of dialogue, or a performance, or a theme. But with this one, I instantly forgot all about it right away. The only character that was even a little bit interesting was Mannix, and even he wasn't all that likeable. The whole thing just felt like a movie that some hacky Taranatino fanboy slapped together. Disappointing.

The roadshow is still playing at the AFI Silver Spring.  If it is there much longer maybe I will end up catching it.  Tarantino is one of the few guys that gets me to go to the movies, but I'm not sure this one interests me that much.  Mannix?

manix.jpg

The whole thing is pretty lame at this point. They did to him exactly what they did to Scorsese, where they now have to award him for something, even if its not his best work, just because he got screwed over a bunch of other times.

Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas. That sh*t is unforgivable. Or Redford winning over Raging Bull with that boring ass flick with Mary Tyler Moore.

Which role do you think Leo should of won an Oscar for?

While the Batman v Superman trailer releases are predictably depressing people worldwide, the Suicide Squad trailers look pretty fantastic.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2016/01/second-suicide-squad-trailer

Yes.

Awesome use of music in the trailers so far, "I started a joke" and now "Bohemian Rhapsody"... just great. Movie better live up to the trailers.

Started to watch Sisters the other night.  Did not like.  We turned it off.  Ended up watching Catch-22.  Interesting, but hard to follow and obviously total sh*t compared to the book.   About the only moment that wasn't significantly better in the book was Hungry Joe.  I'll probably have to read the book again because other than the characters, I didn't remember much. 

The roadshow is still playing at the AFI Silver Spring.  If it is there much longer maybe I will end up catching it.  Tarantino is one of the few guys that gets me to go to the movies, but I'm not sure this one interests me that much.  Mannix?

manix.jpg

The Roadshow is the only way to see it. Half the time I just found myself staring at other sh*t on the screen rather than any of the actors. 70mm rocks.

While the Batman v Superman trailer releases are predictably depressing people worldwide, the Suicide Squad trailers look pretty fantastic.

Who would have ever guessed that a Ben Affleck played Batman movie would suck?  For **** sake.  And I'm a Batman nut job too.  So depressed about this movie but I will inevitably be in the movie theater watching at some point with my only expectations is that I'll want to cry because he ruined my favorite character ever.

Suicide Squad looks rad. 

Who would have ever guessed that a Ben Affleck played Batman movie would suck?  For **** sake.  And I'm a Batman nut job too.  So depressed about this movie but I will inevitably be in the movie theater watching at some point with my only expectations is that I'll want to cry because he ruined my favorite character ever.

Suicide Squad looks rad

Rad?  An 80s teenage California girl called and wants her word back.  ;)

Suicide Squad does look real good.  I even liked Leto's brief Joker appearance in the trailer.

so i finally saw fury road.  overall meh

the opening scene seemed like a dream but it wasn't kinda set a weird tone.   30 small cars can't catch the tanker.  they gave max's car a death like boba fett.  just not cool enough

when furiosa falls on her knees and screams I laughed, which is not what miller was going for there, lol

a few cool moments but actually boring

I'm not happy about them using Harley's origin story from the rebooted comics. You can tell that's where they're probably going because Leto is holding her in a vat of chemicals. The most badass thing about when Harley's origin was first revealed in the animated series was that she chose to become a villain. If they're going with the New 52 story, it's just kind of lame and cliche.

Mark Hamill at his best, right here. IMO he's the best Joker ever, that's including Ledger.

• Upvote 1

Straight Outta Compton was really good. I don't agree that it got screwed out of any Oscar nods, but it's as good a music biopic as any of the others that have been made the past couple decades. My only problem is they completely skipped over Eazy's solo stuff, they made it seem like he just didn't even fight back at all when Dre went to Death Row and that's not what happened at all. Like his solo stuff is legit classic sh*t, and they didn't even mention it. I found that weird.

Straight Outta Compton was really good. I don't agree that it got screwed out of any Oscar nods, but it's as good a music biopic as any of the others that have been made the past couple decades. My only problem is they completely skipped over Eazy's solo stuff, they made it seem like he just didn't even fight back at all when Dre went to Death Row and that's not what happened at all. Like his solo stuff is legit classic sh*t, and they didn't even mention it. I found that weird.

I have to say, that establishment has done a pretty good job of erasing Eazy's solo stuff.

Nobody moves, nobody gets hurt. 

Why you wear your pants like that?  Eazy access, baby.

That sh*t where they called in the JDL and then the JDL blackmailed them would probably be a good movie, whether it's true or not.

Edited by #27TheDominator

I have to say, that establishment has done a pretty good job of erasing Eazy's solo stuff.

Nobody moves, nobody gets hurt. 

Why you wear your pants like that?  Eazy access, baby.

That sh*t where they called in the JDL and then the JDL blackmailed them would probably be a good movie, whether it's true or not.

That scene where they show Eazy driving in LA with The Chronic billboards and the dude looks completely disheveled. Like are you kidding me? That's not what happened! The guy went out and made It's On when The Chronic dropped, which sold a sh*tload in its own right. That she-thang line he dropped on Dre remains one of the all-time great disses. Not sure why they went all in on showing how Cube went berserk with his first two solo albums but Eazy didn't get the same respect. Instead we just get Eazy crying by a pool while Heller is constantly trying to console him. I mean come on.

On a lighter note I didn't know that Yella did Bone's first album. That's pretty cool.

Watched Straight Out of Compton this weekend.  Good flick.  Definitely entertaining and if you're like me and grew up on the music, you'll definitely enjoy it. The acting might be the worst I've ever seen but the movie was good enough that it really didnt matter.  Might not be that great if you werent a fan of the music.

Also watched Martian and fell asleep in the middle of it.  I hear its good, didnt really think it was all that before I passed out but I'll give it a try again sometime. 

I enjoyed Everest much more than I thought I would. It's actually a pretty accurate climbing movie, and though some of the events of '96 are sensationalized, I think any reasonable viewer can accept that you have to do that a little bit within the context of a 2-hour feature movie.

This is a flick that I avoided like the plague when it was in theaters, and I'm kind of regretting it now. It probably was something great in IMAX. At the time I felt that it would perpetrate a stereotype about climbers and climbing that we're all reckless and seconds away from death on any mountain, which is at least my experience in discussing what I do with friends or family. What I've always tried explaining with situations like '96 is that those are instances of human error. Really bad judgement that good guides and good climbers should never be making out of respect for putting everyone's lives at risk, not just in the moment but also in the event of having to mount a potential rescue. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the makers of Everest did not try to hide any of that at all. Fischer should have set a timetable for how long it would be acceptable to wait at the Hillary Step, and his allowance of Boukreev to guide clients without oxygen is to this day one of the dumbest things a guide has ever done in history. Hall blatantly disregarded weather reports and summitted way too late. He knew better. I could go on and on about this. It's a series of events that are unbelievably infuriating to discuss. That's really the crux of what happened and I think the movie did a good enough job of displaying that was the case.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Early reviews for Deadpool are through the roof. I'm psyched for Thursday. If this movie does well that means we're all in for some more R-rated goodness from Hollywood. 

My son and his friends are bugging over this.  Bout 8 of us going this weekend. 

• Upvote 1

On February 7, 2016 at 5:50 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Early reviews for Deadpool are through the roof. I'm psyched for Thursday. If this movie does well that means we're all in for some more R-rated goodness from Hollywood. 

They finally found the perfect role for Ryan Reynolds: instead of his obnoxious quips ruining the movie, they're tailor-made for this one. 

• Upvote 1

I saw Son of Saul in the theater, really disturbing film. It's the odds on favorite to win Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars. Here's a synopsis: 

During World War II, a Jewish worker (Géza Röhrig) at the Auschwitz concentration camp tries to find a rabbi to give a child a proper burial.

The way the film was shot is pretty original, there are no wide shots, everything is real tight which makes the viewer feel like they are right there with Saul. Powerful stuff.

Went and saw Deadpool last night.  Everyone should see this movie.  It has everything.  Comedy, blood, violence, nudity.  You name it, it's got it.  The biggest disappointment was the scene after the credits.  I don't know what I was expecting really but it wasn't that.  

4 hours ago, Alk said:

Went and saw Deadpool last night.  Everyone should see this movie.  It has everything.  Comedy, blood, violence, nudity.  You name it, it's got it.  The biggest disappointment was the scene after the credits.  I don't know what I was expecting really but it wasn't that.  

I think the problem with that is the studio already made the announcements about both the sequel and Cable a few weeks ago, so it wasn't a surprise. It would have been awesome if that was a surprise bombshell. Or at the very least have Jackman do the announcement given Logan and Deadpool's relationship.