Polygamy ok or wrong?

mrfield16

Morally if that is what people want to do I don't have a problem with it. Legally I can see why insurance companies don't want it (health care and stuff like that). But even if it were legal the thought of adding a 2nd family in the mix isn't very appealing to me, lol.

Morally if that is what people want to do I don't have a problem with it. Legally I can see why insurance companies don't want it (health care and stuff like that). But even if it were legal the thought of adding a 2nd family in the mix isn't very appealing to me, lol.

You're one to talk. Keeping an entire family of birds in your shed. :P

Fine. So let a guy marry six women.

So what happens 25 years later and he decides he wants to divorce them. Each one will have their own case, their own lawyers, their own trials, etc. Think that might clog up the court system just a tiny little bit?

Anyone OK with a line marriage...as suggested by Robert Heinlein in The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress...

In a line marriage, with multiple wives and husbands...new younger members to the group marriage are added in as the median age of the group grows older. Everyone can sleep with anyone else in the group, and all are responsible for raising the children and bringing income to the family.

Anyone OK with a line marriage...as suggested by Robert Heinlein in The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress...

In a line marriage, with multiple wives and husbands...new younger members to the group marriage are added in as the median age of the group grows older. Everyone can sleep with anyone else in the group, and all are responsible for raising the children and bringing income to the family.

you hit on a key point...

depending on the circumstances...

everything is ok ... or nothing is ok

for example

polygamy is awful, unless you are in a situation where your society needs to grow population, very quickly. Like Utah 100 years ago.

Homosexuality is awful, unless your in the cities of ancient Greece and need to stem population growth.

society has this funny way of making these arrangements ok or terrible, depending on what it needs to do. right now we dont need population therefore Polygamy is awful and being a JN mod is great.

Short version: Polygamy is silly.

Long version: While males are certainly 'wired' for polygamy, our society really isn't. An anthropologist told me years ago that monogamy probably came about because human brains are huge and we must be born prematurely to support our large heads. The benefit of intelligence requires (in general) a 2-person team of parenting, at least early on. Nowadays, our society hands us a list of consumer toys, colleges, retirement and homes that demand a dual-income family and as much $$ as we can bring in. I suppose this means that a woman could marry 5 men and it could work, as long as you want 5 guys in your house (and wife). But one guy feeding 5 wives and their kids? He better enjoy mobile homes, homemade soap, and Ramen noodles.

polygamy is awful, unless you are in a situation where your society needs to grow population, very quickly. Like Utah 100 years ago

Why would polygamy have anything to do with higher populations? If each woman got married separately and had kids, it would be the same result, but with less variety in their sex lives. If you want to repopulate and keep the kids popping out, then you can do that, with multiple wives or not.

Homosexuality is awful, unless your in the cities of ancient Greece and need to stem population growth.

You mean like today, where there's 7 billion people in the world? How about this. Homosexuality is awful if you're not a homosexual. Better?

Long version: While males are certainly 'wired' for polygamy, our society really isn't

I can see that. In America, it's practically expected that everyone gets married and has kids one day. The family values and all that are strict and people feel that you HAVE to be loyal to one person and one person only.. If we lived in a society where this wasn't the case, people would be in here saying the opposite, claiming that monogamy is inefficient and immoral because you love less people... It's all relative. You can't really say one way is wrong and the other is right. People should do what makes them happy, as long as it doesn't negatively affect anyone else.

I can see that. In America, it's practically expected that everyone gets married and has kids one day. The family values and all that are strict and people feel that you HAVE to be loyal to one person and one person only.. If we lived in a society where this wasn't the case, people would be in here saying the opposite, claiming that monogamy is inefficient and immoral because you love less people... It's all relative. You can't really say one way is wrong and the other is right. People should do what makes them happy, as long as it doesn't negatively affect anyone else.

My statement, beyond what you quoted, was to demonstrate that polygamy is impractical in our society, not necessarily immoral. But let's think a bit about 'doesn't negatively affect anyone else'. One guy raising 20 kids in a mobile home, feeding them all by selling shower curtain rings door-to-door, is creating victims: The 20 kids who live in near poverty just so that selfish person can bang 5 queens in his double-wide.

Why would polygamy have anything to do with higher populations? If each woman got married separately and had kids, it would be the same result, but with less variety in their sex lives. If you want to repopulate and keep the kids popping out, then you can do that, with multiple wives or not.

if you don't have alot of men (due to war for example) polygamy is a way of growing population fast.

My statement, beyond what you quoted, was to demonstrate that polygamy is impractical in our society, not necessarily immoral. But let's think a bit about 'doesn't negatively affect anyone else'. One guy raising 20 kids in a mobile home, feeding them all by selling shower curtain rings door-to-door, is creating victims: The 20 kids who live in near poverty just so that selfish person can bang 5 queens in his double-wide.

Definitely. I agree with that, but if you have 5 wives, hopefully at least 3 of them would be working to support all these children. It's not like all 5 would stay at home each day, so poverty shouldn't be an issue, unless they're stupid as hell. It's also no different than the 5 wives marrying separate men and each having kids, except there are less men involved. Safe sex is important, whether you have 1 girlfriend or 20 (cough Cromartie). Some people have 10+ kids with just one wife. I feel that the responsibility would be the same, but simply having a crapload of kids, just to have more sex is pretty stupid. People should always put finance into account before having children. This is personal responsibility and it applies regardless. Plus people are also forgetting that polygamy can be multiple men, not just women. So instead of 2 people taking care of 3-4 kids, you have 5 people taking care of 10-15 kids, it's not much different financially or responsibility wise. I could see it being less personal, but maybe not. I guess it depends. The kids have more parents, so maybe more attention.

if you don't have alot of men (due to war for example) polygamy is a way of growing population fast.

Ah I see. Good point.

Archived