Nnamdi Asomugha Thread: MERGED

MikeJetsWord

Per Rotoworld:

SI.com's Peter King "hears" that free agent Nnamdi Asomugah's preference is to play with the Jets.

King still lists the Jets as a "longshot," presumably for financial reasons. The Cowboys, Eagles, and Texans top King's lists despite multiple reports out of Dallas and Philadelphia that those teams aren't exactly gung-ho. King also suspects the "cash-strapped" Ravens are more likely to re-sign Josh Wilson, and the Bucs are not a realistic option.

SI_PeterKing Peter King

RT @Just_Nehpets: Where are the most likely places you see Nnamdi ends up? ... Guesswork: Dall, Phil, Hou, NYJ longshot. Hear he wants Jets.

I know the chance of him coming here is VERY slim due to the cap, but who knows... If he wants to be here, you never know what can happen. I trust in Mike Tannenbaum to make the best decisions for this team.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this rumor is persistent and I for one think it's realistic

here's why:

Holmes already has 2 rings, he wants cash. Cro probably doesn't care about a ring, he has 9 kids (that he knows of) and obviously wants cash. Both guys are on their rookie deals still (as is Braylon) Let's say they lose all of those players... for argument's sake. (or maybe they keep Braylon on that "hometown discount")

without those big FA they have like 20+ mil in cap room. they can bring back Brad Smith, Eric Smith, Pool, Turner and other role players. Maybe even Shaun Ellis.

but meanwhile Nnamdi has been paid. He was a franchise player for several years for a terrible team. The dude must have a ton of cash in the bank. is He really gonna sign with Tampa Bay or Houston for more cash? that would be pretty crass. He's already 29 the window is closing... he could take a little less (not way less, but less than Revis obviously, and less than he'd get playing for a mediocre team) and join up with Revis to make the best CB tandem possibly ever. Nnamdi wouldn't have to be "the guy" he would have help... Revis and Nnamdi is a huge upgrade on Revis and Cro. Tanny loves to make splashes, the Jets could lose all 3 FA and if they got Nnamdi no one would care. they could sign a Randy Moss or Plexico and be fine.

and one more thing, the Jets defense PRIORITIZES cornerbacks. We know this already. with Revis, Nnamdi and a year 2 Kyle Wilson they could run crazy blitzes and leave those dudes out on islands. Rex loves cornerbacks way more than he loves Wide Receivers. Looking at the draft they didn't take any cornerbacks yet they are probably gonna lose Cro and Drew Coleman. something is brewing on the CB front... if it isn't Nnamdi it might be Carlos Rogers. JMO

Tanny loves to make splashes, the Jets could lose all 3 FA and if they got Nnamdi no one would care. they could sign a Randy Moss or Plexico and be fine.

Yeah, Sanchez is so good that I'd trust him to make any WR we throw out there into a Pro Bowler.

You can't spend that much money on 2 corners! You have to use that money to bring back Braylon! Blah blah blah.

Give me the best CB tandem in history, Tanny. Think anyone will ever pass on us again? Think we'll need to find an upgrade at safety? Pssh.

Wow... I can't even imagine what that would be like. I know this talk came up over the past couple of years after him and Revis became buddies at the Pro Bowl, but nobody in their right mind ever thought it was something legit. Sounds like Asomugha really was dead serious when he said it though. For starters, getting off of the Raiders and going to a team that actually has a legit chance to do something has to have some serious appeal, and clearly this guy is very serious about his statement of wanting to try to put together the best CB in league history. I still can't see how the Jets would be able to manage to pull this off, no matter how badly both sides wanted it, because some crazy a$$ team out there is probably going to hand him a $20 mil / year offer and even if the Jets didn't resign a single one of their pending FAs, I'm still not sure they could pull off anything close to that.

and clearly this guy is very serious about his statement of wanting to try to put together the best CB in league history.

If he REALLY wants that he'll have to reduce his price tag significantly. Tanny could get him to take the team discount by letting him meet Rex and see what its like to play for him rather than be part of the sh**-show in Oakland. The vast difference between the two could get him to take Cromartie money instead of Revis money.

Until the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure there's at least one guy out there who would care long before that, and his name is Mark Sanchez.

"Oh yeah, that's great, you have Asomugha on defense now. Fantastic. Yeah, but it's completely fine that Logan ******* Payne is my #2 WR. God, I hate you guys."

I'm pretty sure there's at least one guy out there who would care long before that, and his name is Mark Sanchez.

"Oh yeah, that's great, you have Asomugha on defense now. Fantastic. Yeah, but it's completely fine that Logan ******* Payne is my #2 WR. God, I hate you guys."

As if he could move the ball with Holmes, Braylon, Tomlinson and Keller. The offense is going to suck regardless until Sanchez figures it out and/or Schottenheimer is canned. Bringing back one of the 2 WR's and getting Aso would increase our chances at winning games than getting Holmes and Braylon both back and replacing Cro with Kyle Wilson.

If he REALLY wants that he'll have to reduce his price tag significantly. Tanny could get him to take the team discount by letting him meet Rex and see what its like to play for him rather than be part of the sh**-show in Oakland. The vast difference between the two could get him to take Cromartie money instead of Revis money.

It would be one thing if he might be taking a little less to play for the Jets, but with some of the insane amount of cap room teams have out there, you could be talking about a $5+ million PER YEAR difference in offers. Taking a discount is one thing, but I don't know how that's a reasonable request to make of anyone. There's just no way the Jets are going to offer him a cent more than whatever Revis is making, because the last thing they need right now is another Revis hissy fit to deal with.

And while Asomugha may not get a chance to form the best CB tandem anywhere else, it's not exactly like there won't be other teams out there with big money to spend and a pretty damn good team for him to be on. Think about a team like the Bucs, who showed some major strides last year and have an obscene amount of money to spend. Or of the other teams King mentioned, the Eagles and Cowboys aren't exactly bottom of the barrel either (although the Cowboys are in the worst cap shape in the league, so no idea how they'd pull it off).

And while Asomugha may not get a chance to form the best CB tandem anywhere else, it's not exactly like there won't be other teams out there with big money to spend and a pretty damn good team for him to be on. Think about a team like the Bucs, who showed some major strides last year and have an obscene amount of money to spend. Or of the other teams King mentioned, the Eagles and Cowboys aren't exactly bottom of the barrel either (although the Cowboys are in the worst cap shape in the league, so no idea how they'd pull it off).

True, and in Tampa he'd get to play across from Aqib Talib, who's no slouch himself. It's all a matter of how much playing for a potential winner is to Aso, and whether or not other successful teams offer more than we could. Its a longshot, but its fun to dream.

Peter King: Nnamdi wants to play for the Jets. Maybe. Could be a longshot that he does. I give it 30% or so that perhaps there's a 50/50 chance that he wants to be a Jet. I also hear Nnamdi makes a great latte and likes microbrews. But maybe he doesn't.

You can't spend that much money on 2 corners! You have to use that money to bring back Braylon! Blah blah blah.

Give me the best CB tandem in history, Tanny. Think anyone will ever pass on us again? Think we'll need to find an upgrade at safety? Pssh.

This.

I am against paying Cromartie like a #1 CB to be our #2 CB... but would happily support this. Aso and Revis are 2 of the best 5 defensive players in all of football.

As if he could move the ball with Holmes, Braylon, Tomlinson and Keller. The offense is going to suck regardless until Sanchez figures it out and/or Schottenheimer is canned. Bringing back one of the 2 WR's and getting Aso would increase our chances at winning games than getting Holmes and Braylon both back and replacing Cro with Kyle Wilson.

Well I was commenting on the idea of neither Holmes or Edwards coming back which would mean the Jets would have Cotch and........ yeah, Cotch. I certainly agree Sanchez needs to step it up, but the team has a responsibility to get him the weapons to help him do that. Wouldn't it be nice if Sanchez got to have the same set of starting WRs for more than a 10 game stretch? The Jets have at least tried to address the Schotty situation with the Moore hire.

While I agree with your premise that Asomugha could potentially have the biggest impact, on the flip side I think it's pretty clear that the Jets defense still has the potential to be very good without him, while the Jets already inconsistent offense is destined for disaster with a WR corps of Cotchery, Kerley, McKnight, Payne and Turner.

CRO is going to command what on the open market? $10-$12 million?

I would think Aso could be had for near that, but he would want a 5 year deal vs Cro taking a 2-3 year deal...

So the total #'s would be much different...

This.

I am against paying Cromartie like a #1 CB to be our #2 CB... but would happily support this. Aso and Revis are 2 of the best 5 defensive players in all of football.

Absolutely agree, but I suppose I trust our defense a hell of a lot more without Aso than I would trust our offense without any WRs. If its a Cro for Aso trade without a major impact on the rest of the roster I'd sign up for that every day of the week and twice on Sunday, but for the foreseeable future the most important player on this team is Mark Sanchez and the Jets priority needs to be to make sure they give him the best possible chances to improve and succeed, because it's going to have a lot more impact on the Jets long term success than any level of CB play ever will. That said, I hope more than anything Tanny can work his magic and bring back at least one of Holmes/Edwards (or maybe go and snag Rice) and still have enough room to fit in Aso. That would be unbelievable.

Nnamdi also drives a 1997 Nissan Maxima, so its safe to assume he isnt too worried about money.

Revis just got over 16.5 mil a year. he got that to top what Nnamdi was getting to be the highest paid CB. You think suddenly Nnamdi is gonna be content with a Cromartie level contract for the benefit of being stuck in it for 5 years instead of 2 or 3? No chance. Nnamdi is going to get at least 15 mil per year.

Absolutely agree, but I suppose I trust our defense a hell of a lot more without Aso than I would trust our offense without any WRs. If its a Cro for Aso trade without a major impact on the rest of the roster I'd sign up for that every day of the week and twice on Sunday, but for the foreseeable future the most important player on this team is Mark Sanchez and the Jets priority needs to be to make sure they give him the best possible chances to improve and succeed, because it's going to have a lot more impact on the Jets long term success than any level of CB play ever will. That said, I hope more than anything Tanny can work his magic and bring back at least one of Holmes/Edwards (or maybe go and snag Rice) and still have enough room to fit in Aso. That would be unbelievable.

Aso + Revis = 14 sacks this year from Pace.

2 corners like that automatically upgrades the stiffs we have as pass-rushers.

Regarding the offense, I see us putting Holmes or Edwards on the field with J-Co (people seem to have forgotten about him), Keller, and a whole helluva lot of our 4 RBs... smashmouth football.

Revis just got over 16.5 mil a year. he got that to top what Nnamdi was getting to be the highest paid CB. You think suddenly Nnamdi is gonna be content with a Cromartie level contract for the benefit of being stuck in it for 5 years instead of 2 or 3? No chance. Nnamdi is going to get at least 15 mil per year.

I was semi kidding. I was hoping for a segue into Jeff Van Gundy's 95 civic getting blown off the tarmac.

Interesting. Its definitely feasable at the expense of Cro (obviuosly) and Holmes. I dont think it completely eliminates BE from the discussion, but for the sake of it, lets say it does. That leaves us with probaby the worst WR core in the NFL playing with a turd at QB. Is it worth it?

Well, you have the defensive minded Rex Ryan who could do some amazing sh*t with that tandem. Its not like the offense wins us games and since we are a ground and pound team to begin with, does this really hurt our chances to win? I think you could make a case it might actually improve our chances to win...even in the playoffs, who we would most likely see the Patriots for the 3rd time. Considering you have this franchise QB, who kind of sucks and isnt exactly going to light up the score board with good WR's...so whats the difference?

IMO - do it. Sign Randy Moss, or Plexico and a Lance Moore on the cheap. Cultivate some young WR's and make that a priortiy in the upcoming drafts...not 4th rounders and beyond. Plus there's some decent WR's that are set to hit FA that would be cheap and really arent bad players.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/wr.html

I was semi kidding. I was hoping for a segue into Jeff Van Gundy's 95 civic getting blown off the tarmac.

I quoted the wrong post, meant to quote ECurb stating Nnamdi would play for Cro money (12m a year) as long as he got the "courtesy" of being paid Cro level money for an extra couple years. That's like saying "yes, please underpay me, and you know what why don't you go ahead and underpay me for a couple extra years because I'm such a nice guy". :blink:

When Nnamdi was the only CB getting anything over 16m it was considered a ludicrous contract given by a senile old man. When Revis got it, it then legitimized the amount for the top tier CB's. Nnamdi won't sign for a dime less than 15 a year, probably even more.

Regarding the offense, I see us putting Holmes or Edwards on the field with J-Co (people seem to have forgotten about him), Keller, and a whole helluva lot of our 4 RBs... smashmouth football.

We need better pass rushers.

As long as the Jets feel confident with Kerley, Turner or one of the other nobodies playing the slot, I'd honestly have no issue with the Jets moving Cotch back up to #2 WR as long as they can retain one of Holmes or Edwards. For as much crap as Sanchez gets, and much of it deserved, the guy hasn't had a consistent set of WRs to throw to his entire career, as he's had his starting WRs changed midseason in both years. While one only one of them and Cotch won't be as good as what he had last year, I think that familiarity and additional experience for Sanchez should offset that. My issue will be is if the Jets pour all of their money onto the defensive side, keep neither of their WRs, and think they can get away with handing Sanchez a bunch of middle of the road FAs he's never played with before and think this isn't going to start a whole new set of problems.

Archived