Nnamdi Asomugha Thread: MERGED

MikeJetsWord

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word. Nnamdi's going to get $16 mil+. You can get Mike Huff, Matthias Kiwanuka and Cullen Jenkins signed for a combined $16 mil.

Yeah

You can get an average FS, an often injured passrusher, and a solid yet unspectacular DL...or you can get a future HOFer and form the greatest CB tandem in history.

I'll take the latter.

Yeah

You can get an average FS, an often injured passrusher, and a solid yet unspectacular DL...or you can get a future HOFer and form the greatest CB tandem in history.

I'll take the latter.

Who was the previous greatest CB tandem in history? Frank Minnifield and Hanford Dixon?

Who was the previous greatest CB tandem in history? Frank Minnifield and Hanford Dixon?

Minnifield and Dixon are certainly up there, but Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes are definitely at the top of the list.

Revis and Aso would eclipse all of them.

Asomugha is already Top 10 all-time and Revis could quite possibly achieve GOAT status before it's all said and done.

Minnifield and Dixon are certainly up there, but Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes are definitely at the top of the list.

Revis and Aso would eclipse all of them.

Asomugha is already Top 10 all-time and Revis could quite possibly achieve GOAT status before it's all said and done.

How about in the salary cap era?

Word. Nnamdi's going to get $16 mil+. You can get Mike Huff, Matthias Kiwanuka and Cullen Jenkins signed for a combined $16 mil.

when nnamdi signed that 3 year deal in oakland,all 31 other teams were laughing at davis.now they are going to think like him because nnamdi if a free agent?i dont see him getting 16 per.12m-13m more likely.he isnt the only quality cb on the market this year.

There's no reason on Earth to have a #2 CB making $10-12M a season. None. Put Kyle Wilson and/or some zone coverage on teams' #2 WR's, and I think Rex and Pettine will ba able to take care of the rest.

The Jets dee would be better served with a few less expensive guys that could help with the slot receivers and TE's that regularly kill them.

The Jets as a whole would be better off (re-?)signing one elite WR for their offense, then bringing in a second elite CB who would be relegated to covering scrubs more than half the time.

Oh bullsh*t. The Jets aren't having an elite offense even if they get everybody back and add a few guys. There is every bit as much reason to pay Aso $10M as there is to pay Holmes or Edwards that money. You don't even know if Kyle Wilson is up to playing nickel. He was behind Drew Coleman on the depth chart in the playoffs.

Do you guys who are bitching about Aso ever remember how horrible the pass rush was at times last season? It was hard to watch. We have 1 decent pass rusher on the whole team!

You aren't getting one so get over it. Who are they going to sign? One of the Giants guys? Those ******* guys are on the IR at least 1 out of every 3 seasons. You want to sign them to big money long term deals? Who else is out there? A pass rusher will cost more than a CB and the other teams aren't giving them away. A pass rusher will move Bryan Thomas to the bench, a CB will move a guy we have never seen play capable D there. (I could argue we haven't seen Thomas play capably, but that's neither here nor there).

Three very good players will beat one great player every time.

What 3 very good players are there? The Jets are pretty solid. They are only filling in holes of their own losses. One is Cromartie. Others will be at WR. It just has to do with what contracts these guys are seeking.

I'd rater have 2 very good pass rushers than 1 great CB.

My hero. Who is available? 2 very good pass rushers will cost twice what a great CB will.

Who's the Nnamdi and does he cover Tight Ends?

You want to add a LB that can cover TEs? Fine, but nobody has mentioned that all offseason. Life is tough when you have 270 lb LBs.

Yeah

I'll take the latter.

+1

Is your point that Minnifield and Dixon couldn't make it to the super bowl? IF they didn't have a Schottenheimer at head coach and Chad Pennington Sr at QB they would probably have been in three. Hayes and Haynes did pretty well.

Oh bullsh*t. The Jets aren't having an elite offense even if they get everybody back and add a few guys. There is every bit as much reason to pay Aso $10M as there is to pay Holmes or Edwards that money. You don't even know if Kyle Wilson is up to playing nickel. He was behind Drew Coleman on the depth chart in the playoffs.

Actually, he had Nnamdi at $12M, and any other option at $10M:

it is all about the money.the jets need to sign a corner any which way you look at it.cro is an option as is a few other guys.nnamdi's contract will set the tone for the rest.after that,the others wont make as much as nnamdi,but i doubt the figures will be way off.i would rather pay nnamdi 12m than any other guy at $10m.pay a little more and get twice the player.a guy like cro hurts the teams run defense.a guy like nnamdi makes it better.or the jets sign a mid level guy and have some extra cash for a receiver

But I digress...

Anyway, there are plenty of reasons to pay that money to Holmes over Aso. There's simply zero justification for having a #1 CB making elite #1 CB money covering the league's #2 WR's. It's just a poor business decision. Meanwhile, the Jets have a $50M QB who should be their #1 priority. Will they have an elite offense with Holmes? Probably not, but it will be a much better offense than the one theyd have without him. They have a top WR in Holmes who's already started to develop some chemistry with Sanchez, and continuing that chemistry should be paramount. Cotch, Keller, and the choice of Randy Moss or Plaxico Burress does not compare to having Holmes under contract for the next five years.

The Jets have Revis under contract as their #1 CB and Cotchery under contract as their #1 WR. Resigning or signing a #1 WR and bringing in a second tier CB seems like the smart way to proceed from there.

Is your point that Minnifield and Dixon couldn't make it to the super bowl? IF they didn't have a Schottenheimer at head coach and Chad Pennington Sr at QB they would probably have been in three. Hayes and Haynes did pretty well.

The point being that no team has put two elite corners on the field in thirty years because, after QB, CB is the most highly-paid position in football and in the cap era, it's implausible to put two on one roster. And yet, teams still win Super Bowls. Aso isn't getting $10 mil. Aso is getting closer to $20 mil. He's far and away the most coveted UFA in an offseason where most teams are actually forced to spend millions upon millions in salary cap space.

Actually, he had Nnamdi at $12M, and any other option at $10M:

But I digress...

Anyway, there are plenty of reasons to pay that money to Holmes over Aso. There's simply zero justification for having a #1 CB making elite #1 CB money covering the league's #2 WR's. It's just a poor business decision. Meanwhile, the Jets have a $50M QB who should be their #1 priority. Will they have an elite offense with Holmes? Probably not, but it will be a much better offense than the one theyd have without him. They have a top WR in Holmes who's already started to develop some chemistry with Sanchez, and continuing that chemistry should be paramount. Cotch, Keller, and the choice of Randy Moss or Plaxico Burress does not compare to having Holmes under contract for the next five years.

The Jets have Revis under contract as their #1 CB and Cotchery under contract as their #1 WR. Resigning or signing a #1 WR and bringing in a second tier CB seems like the smart way to proceed from there.

just saying,thats all.the jets need to sign a corner back when they lose cro.if the jets are looking to spend lower to average money on a corner,then they could have more money for receivers.on the other hand,if the jets are going to spend good money on a corner(like i said before,aso will set the tone for cb's,other will sign cheaper,but they wont for half of aso's)better off getting twice the player at 20% more.

The point being that no team has put two elite corners on the field in thirty years because, after QB, CB is the most highly-paid position in football and in the cap era, it's implausible to put two on one roster. And yet, teams still win Super Bowls. Aso isn't getting $10 mil. Aso is getting closer to $20 mil. He's far and away the most coveted UFA in an offseason where most teams are actually forced to spend millions upon millions in salary cap space.

20m?i would have to disagree.the cb market isnt going to double overnight.what was the last big contract given to a free agent cb?10m? with nnamdi,it will definetely go up,but not double

At the end of the day Nnamdi will have to sign somewhere, and no team is going to give him that kind of money he would hope to get. So with that said, the ball is in his court as to what he does; he will either sign with a team foolish enough to give him a ridiculous contract, or opt to take less money to go somewhere else if no one will give him the money he wants. And if this is the case I can definitely see him taking a little bit less than the other teams are offering to play with the jets rather than teams like the texans, redskins or the bucs. He has openly said he wants to play for rex ryan and along side revis, this guy has clearly had enough of the losing that he had in oakland, and he wants to get paid but not if it excludes winning. This isn't like the revis situation where Revis was trying to upgrade his rookie contract, Nnamdi has already had his huge payday and might be content with less money if it means winning. So with that said, if we let Edwards, Santonio, and Cromartie walk, and sign asomugha, and plaxico and Tanny works his magic to trade for steve smith, I think we came out great.

Which is why it boils down to the money. I would be the last guy to pay the guy $20M and neglect the rest of the team, but they'd be morons not to kick the tires.

Revis makes $16.5 mil. That's the market.

It's a completely new market. That's the point. Nobody has any ******* idea what these guys are going to go for.

Of course he wants to go to the Jets and play on a real defense. It doesn't mean it's happening. I'm so sick and tired of this dude's name coming up on here every couple days. Give it a rest, he ain't coming here unless we drop Revis or cut most of the team and lose all FAs. Not happening, please stop the wet dreams about him.

Of course he wants to go to the Jets and play on a real defense. It doesn't mean it's happening. I'm so sick and tired of this dude's name coming up on here every couple days. Give it a rest, he ain't coming here unless we drop Revis or cut most of the team and lose all FAs. Not happening, please stop the wet dreams about him.

Why would Nnamdi list us as his premium destination if he wasn't willing to take somewhat of a discount?

He has to be aware that guys like Holmes, Braylon, and Cromartie are up for new deals and we're not just going to let all of them walk.

Like I said before, if it came down to us offering him $10-12 million a year versus a team like the Texans or Bucs offering him $13-15 million a year, I think he would be inclined to sign with us.

Aso said over a year ago that he and Revis have frequently talked about playing together. Those guys would immediately become the greatest CB tandem in league history and there's no doubt that we're in better position to win a Superbowl than Houston or Tampa Bay.

It's not like Nnamdi has been playing on a rookie deal and is looking to cash in beyond all else (like Holmes and Cromartie). The guy has been one of the highest paid players in the league during his tenure in Oakland and has yet to experience a single winning season in his entire professional career.

And lets be serious, would a huge move like this honestly surprise any of us with Mike Tannenbaum at the helm?

There just aren't enough teams out there with two elite WR's to warrant the Jets spending on two elite CB's. It's a waste of resources that could be put to better use elsewhere.

I'd rather have an elite WR than a second elite CB.

Or an elite pass rusher.

Or an elite safety.

Or a couple decent pass rushers.

Or a a starting safety and a nice third or fourth CB.

Or an elite TE and maybe a little OL depth on the side.

Or etc., etc., etc.

The more I think about Nnamdi to the Jets, the less I like it.

What this comes down too slats is not what were going to be facing in the regular season but what were going to be facing in the playoffs. 2 shut down corners will make life for Brady, Manning, Rivers, Flacco and Rapist very difficult. Our defense is designed to put pressure on the QB with less talent . Rex's schemes create havoc and its hard for the QB and Oline to read that pressure at times. Also having that in the back of your mind hurries a QB and you saw that with Both Brady and Manning last year in the playoffs neither one was comfortable in the pocket and they also looked totally confused when we dropped so many into coverage. What Namndi would bring is the option to drop less into coverage and rush more and get even more carzy with the blitz packages and you know Rex will of both WR's are accounted for.

I think we should ship Cro and Holmes the hell out and fill the void with Namndi and Lance Moore . What would we gain ? A better all around corner by far and a better all around WR who is not afraid to make the tough catch over the middle to move the chains. Cro is going to be looking for a couple of million less than namndi and if thats the case we either dont get a CB at all and rely on Wilson OR we sign Namndi in record time.

didnt revis sign for 4 years under 50m?

Revis gets a check for $18 mil handed to him on the first day of camp this year, which nets him an average take of $16.25 mil for the first two years. He has two more years on the deal at $7.5 mil and $6 mil that should be re-worked. If Revis manages to not hold out the next two years, he turns UFA after 2013. Unless he breaks both legs before then or Kyle Wilson turns into Darrell Green, he'll be renegotiated after next season to get him locked up.

if holmes signs somewhere else & the jets let cro walk, how is it not doable??

i think an argument can be made cro will sign for the same kinda money as aso..

unless you think aso is talking spit about wanting to play for the jets, (at a fair price, of course) tanny can get this done..

What this comes down too slats is not what were going to be facing in the regular season but what were going to be facing in the playoffs. 2 shut down corners will make life for Brady, Manning, Rivers, Flacco and Rapist very difficult. Our defense is designed to put pressure on the QB with less talent . Rex's schemes create havoc and its hard for the QB and Oline to read that pressure at times. Also having that in the back of your mind hurries a QB and you saw that with Both Brady and Manning last year in the playoffs neither one was comfortable in the pocket and they also looked totally confused when we dropped so many into coverage. What Namndi would bring is the option to drop less into coverage and rush more and get even more carzy with the blitz packages and you know Rex will of both WR's are accounted for.

I think we should ship Cro and Holmes the hell out and fill the void with Namndi and Lance Moore . What would we gain ? A better all around corner by far and a better all around WR who is not afraid to make the tough catch over the middle to move the chains. Cro is going to be looking for a couple of million less than namndi and if thats the case we either dont get a CB at all and rely on Wilson OR we sign Namndi in record time.

I don't agree.

All of those QB's have TE's and/or slot guys and/or RB's that they can throw to all day while we have $30M worth of CB's covering their top two WR's. Nnamdi does not bring the option to drop less people into coverage because most #2 CB's should be able to handle most #2 WR's. It's not the same as Revis being able to shut down #1's all by himself.

The Jets dee is way ahead of the offense. Has been for a while. You want to tip that imbalance further by downgrading at WR and upgrading at CB? I don't. As a general rule, championship teams have potent to explosive offenses. Go down the list, the 2000 Ravens are the rare exception, and the Jets don't have that kind of defense today, and still won't with Aso on board. The Jets understood that when they traded up for Sanchez. They need to continue to understand it next week. The team's #1 WR needs to be the priority way before the team's #2 CB. Tom Moore is great, but they need the horses on the field.

And does this plan of yours include holding onto Braylon? You think the team can sign Edwards, Aso, and Lance Moore? Or are we replacing both starting WR's with one 5'9" guy? :blink:

I don't agree.

All of those QB's have TE's and/or slot guys and/or RB's that they can throw to all day while we have $30M worth of CB's covering their top two WR's. Nnamdi does not bring the option to drop less people into coverage because most #2 CB's should be able to handle most #2 WR's. It's not the same as Revis being able to shut down #1's all by himself.

The Jets dee is way ahead of the offense. Has been for a while. You want to tip that imbalance further by downgrading at WR and upgrading at CB? I don't. As a general rule, championship teams have potent to explosive offenses. Go down the list, the 2000 Ravens are the rare exception, and the Jets don't have that kind of defense today, and still won't with Aso on board. The Jets understood that when they traded up for Sanchez. They need to continue to understand it next week. The team's #1 WR needs to be the priority way before the team's #2 CB. Tom Moore is great, but they need the horses on the field.

And does this plan of yours include holding onto Braylon? You think the team can sign Edwards, Aso, and Lance Moore? Or are we replacing both starting WR's with one 5'9" guy? :blink:

i believe we hold on to edwards..

i also believe you're downplaying what rex would do with the two best corners in football, on the field at the same time..

rex would add blitz packages & coverages (say revis in the slot) he had only dreamed of being able to pull off..

i believe we hold on to edwards..

i also believe you're downplaying what rex would do with the two best corners in football, on the field at the same time..

rex would add blitz packages & coverages (say revis in the slot) he had only dreamed of being able to pull off..

Was David Barrett playing corner opposite Revis last year?

if the cap is going to be $125 mill, why would the jets put $30 mill into 2 corners ? you already have sanchez, mangold, pace, scott and brick with big deals, and the defense isn't the problem.

teams would do the "death by a thousand cuts" and throw on our LB's and 3rd corner anyway. coleman/wilson would give up 12 passes a game by himself.

I say put any spending money into a RT and WR's

the jets need to score in the passing game

Was David Barrett playing corner opposite Revis last year?

no, a freak of nature athlete, who just happens to be a NFL corner..

aso is pro's pro still in his prime..

that makes him the second best corner in football..

rex would be epic with aso & revis..

If the Jets are thinking about spending big money for an outside FA defender, they should sign Eric Weddle 10x before they sign Aso. A younger (possibly better) player, who fills a much bigger need on this team. Revis can handle #1's, Wilson/Coleman can handle #2 duty, and a guy like Weddle could help with the aforementioned TE's, slot receivers, and RB's.

It looks like the Ravens entire secondary is up for grabs, and any of Dawan Landry, Chris Carr, or Josh Wilson would help the Jets as well. There are a lot of CB's available. A good portion of them would make a decent #2 here if the Jets don't have confidence in their own guys to get it done.

Santonio Holmes, meanwhile, is the top FA WR in the NFL this year, and the Jets have the inside track on him. They shouldn't even consider dicking around with other teams defenders until the shore up Sanchez' arsenal.

If the Jets are thinking about spending big money for an outside FA defender, they should sign Eric Weddle 10x before they sign Aso. A younger (possibly better) player, who fills a much bigger need on this team. Revis can handle #1's, Wilson/Coleman can handle #2 duty, and a guy like Weddle could help with the aforementioned TE's, slot receivers, and RB's.

It looks like the Ravens entire secondary is up for grabs, and any of Dawan Landry, Chris Carr, or Josh Wilson would help the Jets as well. There are a lot of CB's available. A good portion of them would make a decent #2 here if the Jets don't have confidence in their own guys to get it done.

Santonio Holmes, meanwhile, is the top FA WR in the NFL this year, and the Jets have the inside track on him. They shouldn't even consider dicking around with other teams defenders until the shore up Sanchez' arsenal.

Boo Weddle. Mike Huff. Faster and just starting to figure it out. Could break out in our defense.

Boo Weddle. Mike Huff. Faster and just starting to figure it out. Could break out in our defense.

The only thing Mike Huff figured out last season was that he was in a contract year. :lol:

if the jets lose holmes, do cotch & keller not become factors again??

keller looked like a pro bowl TE when holmes suspended..

if the jets lose holmes, do cotch & keller not become factors again??

keller looked like a pro bowl TE when holmes suspended..

I like both players, but Keller is no pro bowler, and Cotchery is best served as a #3 WR. The Jets need the offense to improve over their 2010 levels significantly. They can't afford to drop off at all.

I like both players, but Keller is no pro bowler, and Cotchery is best served as a #3 WR. The Jets need the offense to improve over their 2010 levels significantly. They can't afford to drop off at all.

but i don't believe sanchez (at least at this point of his career) needs/wants a 1,200 yards a year type WR to feed..

let holmes & cro walk & sign aso..

& yeah, keller is no pro bowler..

Archived