Cromartie returns to Jets (MERGED)

Vicious89x

So the Jets pretty much lost nothing by going after Nnamdi.

I'm guessing I missed a whole Nnamdi shindig here. It was fun, but the move would have been an expensive for the lawlz.

I hope they land a bunch of small name guys now like Antwan Barnes, a TE, and maybe another experienced WR. Oh, and I think they should bring Ellis back.

I'm guessing I missed a whole Nnamdi shindig here. It was fun, but the move would have been an expensive for the lawlz.

I hope they land a bunch of small name guys now like Antwan Barnes, a TE, and maybe another experienced WR. Oh, and I think they should bring Ellis back.

Barnes resigned with the chargers.

4 years, 32 million is what's being thrown around. No mention on what's guaranteed.

So essentially, we got Cro and Plax for less than Nnamdi.

should afford us some coin to get some more depth at TE, S, etc.

Rebounding from the Nnamdi Asomugha snub, the New York Jets moved to fill their vacant cornerback spot, coming to a contract agreement early Monday morning with Antonio Cromartie, according to a league source.

He will sign a four-year, $32 million contract, according to a league source -- $4 million per year less than Asomugha's deal with the Philadelphia Eagles and $1.75 million per year less than Johnathan Joseph's contract with the Houston Texans.

NFL Transactions Analysis

ESPN.com's division bloggers react to all the big NFL free-agent signings and trades throughout the frenzied post-lockout period. Blog

• Insider: Instant analysis

• Scouts Inc.: Free-agent tracker

The Jets appeared to be in a bind after losing out on Asomugha, who shocked many (including the Jets) by signing Thursday with the Eagles. If they had failed to re-sign Cromartie, it would've created a major issue in the defense.

The Jets will go into the 2011 season with the same tandem as last year, Cromartie and All-Pro Darrelle Revis.

Though Cromartie drew strong interest from the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers, teams that would've made him the No. 1 corner, the six-year vet elected to stay in New York and took to Twitter early Monday morning.

"They say Cro is back, Cro is back all #GangGreen fans say is Cro...," Cromartie tweeted. "I'm on my FLT headed home glad 2 b a JET...let's go win a Superbowl."

The Jets have re-signed two of their Big Four free agents, Cromartie and wide receiver Santonio Holmes. They lost the versatile Brad Smith to the Buffalo Bills, and receiver Braylon Edwards is unlikely to return now that wide receiver Plaxico Burress has agreed to a one-year deal with the team.

After missing out on Asomugha, retaining Cromartie became the Jets' best option to place on the other side of Revis. The Jets did not seem to think former No. 1 pick Kyle Wilson, coming off a shaky rookie year, was ready for a starting role.

Cromartie played well in 2010, especially over the first half of the season, but his inconsistency chafed the coaching staff at times.

He finished with three interceptions and recorded a team-high 18 pass break-ups, but he also committed the most penalties on defense and surrendered a team-high seven touchdown passes.

The Jets acquired Cromartie, 27, last year in a trade with the San Diego Chargers. The price was steep -- a second-round pick -- and it would've been embarrassing if they had lost him after only one year.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6822990/source-antonio-cromartie-new-york-jets-agree-new-deal

4 years, 32 million is what's being thrown around. No mention on what's guaranteed.

Yeah that is what I just saw over at ESPN.com.

YAY!!!!

I was just getting ready to shut the cpu down and hit the hay when I said to myself "I should check the newswire before I do just in case something with Cro happened and to my surprise...IT DID!!! Now I can go to sleep a little happier now that I know the Aso/Cro/CB saga has finally come to an end.

As far as the money, it's right around what I was thinking he should get....I was thinking $7 mill, but you know at this juncture, I'll take it.

So now, what's next? I want pass rush.

You know, all things considered, this has been a very good offseason. Getting Cro and Holmes back is pretty remarkable. It'll be interesting to see if Tanny turns his attention to giving Harris a long term deal. I wonder if Thomas still has to be a cap casualty now with all of the restructuring that took place.

helmet.gif

Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork is reporting that the New York Jets have signed defensive back Antonio Cromartie to a 4-year, $32 million dollar deal.  Cimini reports that the contract is $4 million per year less than Nnamdi Asomugha’s contract with the Eagles and $1.75 million per year less than Jonathan Joseph’s deal with the Texans.

With all things considered this is a good move by the Jets as Cromartie played very well for Gang Green last year and he was the best available cornerback on the free agent market.  Cromartie offered the following words on Twitter early Monday morning:

@A_Cromartie31: They say Cro is back, Cro is back all #GangGreen fans say is Cro…lol I’m on my FLT headed home glad 2 b a JET…let’s go win a Superbowl

@A_Cromartie31: Ok guys taking off c u guys at Florham Park…God Bless u all…Jet sailing 2 be a JET…goodnight 2 some and good morning to others I’m out

di</img>di</img>

0ScJk0FjxOk

View the full article

Most of you know my stance on Cromartie, and I'm gonna root like hell for him, and I'm actually very pleased with the contract it's only 4 years at 32 mill and 16 guaranteed so it seems Tanny put himself in position to dump him after year 2 if he turns out to be not what the Jets want in a CB, OR if Wilson turns out to be very good which is still in question.

This was a no brainer for Jets and Cro.

Still hard to believe some were advocating letting Cro walk. That made no senseto me. Obviously Rex and FO had no faith in Wilson and the rest of the CB class is trash.

This was a no brainer for Jets and Cro.

Still hard to believe some were advocating letting Cro walk. That made no senseto me. Obviously Rex and FO had no faith in Wilson and the rest of the CB class is trash.

advocating letting Cro walk Based on salary and what was available. Salary wise it seems the deal is fair on both sides .... what was available ? hard to say since I dont know much about the remaining DB's but didnt expect them to cover like Cro can anyhow. My only real issues with Cro are his really poor tackling ability and his problems picking up on the defense. Cant say that tackling is not important because on Shonn Greenes TD vs Sd in the playoffs that was a pretty big non attempt at a tackle which proves a bad tackling CB can have an impact on a game other than just covering a WR.

Either way I hope he plays as good if not better than last year and ill be happy as will most jets fans.

Tanny got it done. Really good news.

Not just Mr.T..

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta

How much of a full-court press did #Jets have on Cromartie? Just found out owner Woody Johnson had a long chat with him over weekend. #nyj

I really love our owner! Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that he will do what ever it takes to field a winner!

This is very good news. I'm now satisfied with the weekend. I was liking the Todd Heap idea, but oh well. This solidifies our secondary with the addition of strickland again. Let's hope he stays healthy and another year in the system for Cro and Wilson pays off for us. Good Move Jets!

He will sign a four-year, $32 million contract, according to a league source -- $4 million per year less than Asomugha's deal with the Philadelphia Eagles and $1.75 million per year less than Johnathan Joseph's contract with the Houston Texans.

Nice - Cro is a better FIT for us than Jonathan Joseph too, so seeing we got him for less $$$ is a good thing. :D

Archived