Offensive Tackle

RUT

Is it me or does no one seem to be concerned about our Offensive Tackle position. All indicators make McKenzie a goner, Adrian Jones does not appear to be ready... Fred Miller? Or at 26 do we go Alex Baron or Khalif Barnes ?

Personally I feel that OT is much more of a concern than Safety or wide receiver. After all, You can have the greatest skill players in the world, with no O-line, Penny has no time and Curtis has no holes.

Thoughts.....

Is it me or does no one seem to be concerned about our Offensive Tackle position. All indicators make McKenzie a goner, Adrian Jones does not appear to be ready... Fred Miller? Or at 26 do we go Alex Baron or Khalif Barnes ?

Personally I feel that OT is much more of a concern than Safety or wide receiver. After all, You can have the greatest skill players in the world, with no O-line, Penny has no time and Curtis has no holes.

Thoughts.....

McKenzie is almost certainly gone

The one free agent I would like to see that is out there is Jennings from Bills- he is still young and if they trade for Shelton I do not see them in the picture to keep him

McKenzie had a lousy year, but he was solid in 2003. I would love to keep him. No way is Jones ready. Hey, how about we start Marko Crapka??? :cry:

Thoughts.....

Here's the problem, Rut. Any OT we draft at 26 is not going to be ready to play OLT his rokie year anyway. We're going to have a brittle Chad Pennington back there next year, MAYBE, and so, unless we make some bizarre trade for Orlando Pace, Fabini is the LT. Now, if we're going to draft a RT, I'm all for that. But, if we decide we need a rookie ORT to start from Day One, then I think we should try to move up and get Jammal Brown from Oklahoma. Realistically the only tackles that will fall to the Jets will be Adam Terry of Syracuse (who is a project) and MAYBE Khalif Barnes from Washington, who I like, but may be gone.

A real dark horse candidate might be Chris Samuels from the Redskins. Supposedly he's being offered around quietly. He has all the talent in the world, but is a serious head case. I'd take a flyer on him and see if Herm and Dinger can get him to play. It might be expensive, but that's a risk I'd take, personally.

McKenzie had a lousy year, but he was solid in 2003. I would love to keep him. No way is Jones ready. Hey, how about we start Marko Crapka??? :cry:

Be serious GGG

We need an experienced player at left tackle

The Jets are not going to line up Cavka at left tackle-even if Limolady desires it!

With Fabini's chronic sore Back, If I were Bradway I think I definetly sign a FA Tackle, Miller or a Jennings and Draft a Tackle at 26. Jones or Cavka are not the answer.

No one ever gives the big guys up front enough credit, on both sides of the ball but especially offense. We have four 1st round draft choices on our D-Line, Isn't it about time we invest some on the offense line.

I think Cavka is going to the Hall of Fame, personally. All you suckers except me and Limo are missing the boat. :twisted:

I thought Samuels when he came out of Alabama was going to be the next Orlando Pace, Hasn't he been injured alot with the skins? With that being said I still would take him in a heartbeat.

Abraham and draft pick for Samuels and draft pick ?

I hate even suggesting it because trades rarely if ever occur.

Fred Miller, stop gap measure, solid pro, knows Hemindingers sytem, seems like a temporary fix to me.

Wasn't Fred Miller the guy who got beat like a dog by Michael Strahan when Miller was playing for the Rams? Sure, it's Mike Strahan, but that was easily one of the worst OT performances I have ever seen. And I watched Jeff Criswell for years.

I thought Samuels when he came out of Alabama was going to be the next Orlando Pace, Hasn't he been injured alot with the skins? With that being said I still would take him in a heartbeat.

Abraham and draft pick for Samuels and draft pick ?

I hate even suggesting it because trades rarely if ever occur.

Fred Miller, stop gap measure, solid pro, knows Hemindingers sytem, seems like a temporary fix to me.

2004 Scouting Report - Football Scouts Inc.

Name: Chris Samuels

Position: Offensive Tackle

Grade: 83 | Key

Alert: D

Comment:

Samuels the upper body strength to deliver a powerful initial punch, gets adequate pop at the point of attack and does a nice job of maintaining separation from defenders. Generally gets excellent hand placement and rarely loses a battle once locked on. Possesses good bulk and is capable of wearing undersized defenders down over the course of the game. Plays under control in space, has the lateral mobility to block the moving target at the second level and is an upper-echelon downfield blocker. Has the explosive first step to prevent edge rushers from turning the corner and uses long arms to force defenders to take a wider angle to the quarterback. Samuels isn't a physical run blocker and he needs to play with more intensity at times but he rarely allows his assignment to make the play and he is one of the best pass blockers in the league when he is healthy. If he can avoid the nagging injuries that have plagued him over the last two seasons, he should return to the Pro Bowl and reestablish himself as one of the best in the league.

This is from Scouts Inc on Samuels- he definitely has not been able to stay healthy and on the field(sound familiar to Abe)

Alex Barron is who I am pushing for to take over for McKenzie but if he doesn't fall to 26 we should really take a look at Fred Miller and Jonas Jennings.

Jonas Jennings ought to be our top choice on the market at the moment. Has there been any news on him negotiating with Buffalo? If he get's cut lose, or Chris Samuels, either way, we need to make a push for him. I do not think we should be trusting Jason Fabini, a rookie, or Adrian Jones to be protecting our $64 million man's blind side.

Archived