JETS offense takes a major step backwards

visajets

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/08/jets_offense_mark_sanchez_take.html

Jets' offense, Mark Sanchez take a major step backward in practice

Published: Friday, August 12, 2011, 8:41 PM Updated: Friday, August 12, 2011, 8:50 PM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Follow 0

Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark Reddit

Email

Print

Andrew Mills/The Star-LedgerJets quarterback Mark Sanchez shakes hands with wide receiver Michael Campbell after a touchdown at practice this week.

Even with Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason in the fold for more snaps than usual, the Jets' offense took a major step backward today after building up over the previous two practices.

By an unofficial count, Mark Sanchez finished 10 of 23 with two interceptions. Holmes was charged with three dropped passes, also by an unofficial count.

With Holmes blanketed by Darrelle Revis, the field was opened up for Dustin Keller who, in a saving grace for Sanchez, had his best offensive day of camp so far with five catches in 11-on-11 play.

More coverage:

• Complete Jets coverage on NJ.com

• Jets videos

• Jets photos

Jim Leonhard and Revis had the interceptions. Revis' came on a diving grab out front of Jeremy Kerley right along the sideline.

The team announced that C Taylor Boggs and LB David Herron have been waived.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, sh*t happens... it's training camp. Not to mention, the Jets D is pretty f'n good.

Honestly, the only thing I found particularly interesting about this, is that has anyone else noticed that this isn't the first time that there's been references to the Jets putting Revis on Kerley in coverage? Sure as hell sounds like they're doing everything they can to really push this kid. I like it.

Ah, sh*t happens... it's training camp. Not to mention, the Jets D is pretty f'n good.

Honestly, the only thing I found particularly interesting about this, is that has anyone else noticed that this isn't the first time that there's been references to the Jets putting Revis on Kerley in coverage? Sure as hell sounds like they're doing everything they can to really push this kid. I like it.

Homer.

Fire Schottenheimer.

Yes it is all Schotty's fault.

Sanchez's inability to post adequate completetion % so far....Schotty!

Having a # 2 WR who has sat in jail for almost two years...Schotty u moron!

Not giving Braylon a strong one year offer....damn you Schotty!

Having a # 3 WR who is 37 years old....Schotty you bastard!

I didn't see Kerley's name mentioned in the article. Didn't it say Revis was on Holmes?

Never mind It was the last sentence in the article :P

I would be more worried if Sanchez lit up the defense actually.

I agree, I just think it's funny how the Jets offense took a "major step backwards" all because we failed to dominate one of the best D's around. It's called practice. Truthfully, I hope our defense continues to dominate our offense heading into the regular season. I'm expecting the Jets to feature and rank as the leagues #1 defense this up coming season, so I'll take our offense struggling against our defense as a sign of good things to come. It's also nice to see Sanchez and our offense becoming 'battle tested' against a great defense as of right now. You learn from mistakes and Mark Sanchez still has plenty of learning to do. Last but not least, what better way for Sanchez to learn, than learning against our defense led by Rex Ryan himself?

What happened to Braylon? Why doesn't Mark just it throw to him?

Don't worry, Holmes is dropping enough passes for both of them combined. Good thing we got this guy locked up for 5 years with #1 receiver money. I can see why teams would be after his passes defended skills.

Don't worry, Holmes is dropping enough passes for both of them combined. Good thing we got this guy locked up for 5 years with #1 receiver money. I can see why teams would be after his passes defended skills.

Awesome news! Thanks!

Is Kerley in the slot? Pure guess, but maybe Revis is playing the slot to practice shutting down Welker? Does anybody know how Cro has done against Ocho? It seems that 85 would be a good matchup for Cro. That would let Revis handle Branch and let everybody else blast Welker. Of course that leaves a TE and back, but still there's a decent amount of bodies to cover those 2. I'd expect more Smith at LB against the Pats.

He can say whatever he want but does anyone think that a qb or even a questionably competent oc is going to challenge a Revis all afternoon?

Last year Revis was dinged and didn't play extremely well. The year before the Jets supposedly rolled coverages to encourage teams to throw at him. Maybe they are doing that again.

I went to practice for a bit today. The offense was dreadful. Sanchez was pretty bad. He definitely threw at least two picks in 11 on 11 play and it may have been 3. One was a great pick by Revis, diving at the sideline. Brunell looked pretty bad and was clearly rattled by the play of the guys in front of him. Its hard to get a good shot as to who was messing up the most, but it seemed like the RT position was very poor today. Sanchez did have one really nice pass down the seam that, I believe, Scotty McKnight dropped. It was one of those passes that somehow just missed the outstretched hands of two defenders and I think McKnight just lost the ball with the defenders. Im not sure if it was by design or due to just taking what the defense gave, but it seemed like they were working alot on passes to the running backs. As a running back Joe McKnight looks really slow. I know its only one practice but I think his only chance to make the team is specials. Of the guys carrying the ball I thought he was the least impressive.

Jets' offense, Mark Sanchez take a major step backward in practice

Published: Friday, August 12, 2011, 8:41 PM Updated: Friday, August 12, 2011, 8:50 PM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Andrew Mills/The Star-LedgerJets quarterback Mark Sanchez shakes hands with wide receiver Michael Campbell after a touchdown at practice this week.

Even with Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason in the fold for more snaps than usual, the Jets' offense took a major step backward today after building up over the previous two practices.

By an unofficial count, Mark Sanchez finished 10 of 23 with two interceptions. Holmes was charged with three dropped passes, also by an unofficial count.

With Holmes blanketed by Darrelle Revis, the field was opened up for Dustin Keller who, in a saving grace for Sanchez, had his best offensive day of camp so far with five catches in 11-on-11 play.

All I have to say is :face:

So the "O" had a bad day at the office, A lot of teams with better Offences than ours are going to have bad days against our "D".

This our D argument is a little silly. Our D is no better then at least two D's we will have to beat to make it to the post season. Pitts and Baltimore both have D's like ours if not better. That being said, I think it's unrealistic to expect too much in early practices and games because of the lock out.

title should be jets fans take huge step backwards.... what happend to you people! a couple months ago we were talkin about goin to dallas... rex is tryin to change the doom and gloom mentality but it starts in the grassroots!

+1

This place is unreadable.

This our D argument is a little silly. Our D is no better then at least two D's we will have to beat to make it to the post season. Pitts and Baltimore both have D's like ours if not better. That being said, I think it's unrealistic to expect too much in early practices and games because of the lock out.

Against top Ds you just want minor competence. It's been that way in the NFL for decades. QBs that can dominate top Ds are extremely rare, even the great Peyton Manning struggled heavily in his lone SB run. He came alive a few times when the team really needed it, but otherwise generally the D will dictate the pace.

I'm sure this O will improve. Ok maybe not, Schitty does suck, but I think maybe Tom Moore will take over OC duties at mid-season if it doesn't improve.

All I want out of this offense is maybe a TD or two a game, and a FG or two a game. Really just 10 points should win it if our D is THAT good and against a top D as well. 20 offensive points should get us a blowout. Obviously the key is no turnovers. I'd rather see a 3 and out than 5 plays and then a turnover or worse giving up a defensive TD. Meanwhile I'd like to see our defense score every once in awhile, anybody remember back when the Steelers D would score a TD a game? That's dominant defensive football right there.

Really, let's at least wait for 4 regular season games to be played before rushing to judgment. Honestly I think we should be okay as a team.

Explain why...

Camp started on time

Sanchez had the players doing more than they would have in OTA's quite frankly

Please tell me your logic.

Offense is always behind the defense in every camp this time of year. Offenses are trying to get their timing down, while defenders are simply reacting. It's amplified here because the defense will be ahead of the offense at the end of the year here, too.

The offense here always worries me. Hopefully the return of Plaxico makes a difference.

Ok maybe not, Schitty does suck, but I think maybe Tom Moore will take over OC duties at mid-season if it doesn't improve.

A boy can dream...

But the guy is 72 years old, and his job is going to be breaking down film of the Jets future opponents from his home in S. Carolina. I don't think he's going to be taking over the OC duties here anytime soon.

Explain why...

Camp started on time

Sanchez had the players doing more than they would have in OTA's quite frankly

Please tell me your logic.

If not for the lockout, the Jets FA additions would've been on the team before the draft. So guys like Mason and Plaxico would've had the entire offseason to work with coaches and get up to speed with the offense. Every player says while it's nice to have a playbook, it doesn't do them nearly as much good as having a coach going over it with them. All the rookies would've got to work with coaches. Vlad Ducasse would've had a full offseason to work on his technique.

Sanchez stepped up in running his camps, but the real benefit there is that Mark took a genuine leadership role. He's not a coach.

Rex has been raving about Cumberland 2 days in a row now. I really haven't seen Cumberland mentioned in any of these camp reports, except by Rex.

Is he just trying to push Keller's buttons?

From the post:

Quarterback Mark Sanchez did not look sharp and was intercepted twice, though one was a beautiful, diving play by star cornerback Darrelle Revis. The Jets dropped a ton of passes. The culprits were tight end Jeff Cumberland, running back Joe McKnight, running back LaDainian Tomlinson and wide receiver Michael Campbell.

Got to love how one practice session can be called a MAJOR step backwards. Who writes this sh1t?

If not for the lockout, the Jets FA additions would've been on the team before the draft. So guys like Mason and Plaxico would've had the entire offseason to work with coaches and get up to speed with the offense. Every player says while it's nice to have a playbook, it doesn't do them nearly as much good as having a coach going over it with them. All the rookies would've got to work with coaches. Vlad Ducasse would've had a full offseason to work on his technique.

Sanchez stepped up in running his camps, but the real benefit there is that Mark took a genuine leadership role. He's not a coach.

Without the lockout they might not have ever signed either of those guys... Plax would not have had the entire offseason... unless he got inked while behind bars... Vlad had a full offseason to work on his technique... there are hundreds of good Oline coaches that he could have and I am sure he did work with that were not NFL employees...

The rookies would not have worked much more with the coaches... you are over estimating the time they spend with players in regular offseason... not much was lost

OTA's are short and not very intense in classroom or field work... so the rookies missed a few weeks essentially... really that makes or breaks nothing...

Without the lockout they might not have ever signed either of those guys... Plax would not have had the entire offseason... unless he got inked while behind bars... Vlad had a full offseason to work on his technique... there are hundreds of good Oline coaches that he could have and I am sure he did work with that were not NFL employees...

The rookies would not have worked much more with the coaches... you are over estimating the time they spend with players in regular offseason... not much was lost

OTA's are short and not very intense in classroom or field work... so the rookies missed a few weeks essentially... really that makes or breaks nothing...

Make or break? No, but it's important nonetheless.

Those camps are when the coaches install their systems, and players are expected to show up to camp knowing their assignments. This is especially critical for rookies and FA's.

The lockout may've changed the dynamics, but the Jets were making changed at the WR position this year. Smith and Edwards were out, and replacements were going to be in. Had that taken place by the time of the draft, they would've had much more time and work with the coaches to get up to speed.

You think Vlad working with his old HS coach (or whatever the hell he was doing) is a suitable alternative to spending the spring with Bill Callahan? I don't.

Archived