JETS offense takes a major step backwards

visajets

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And during the season. So what's your point?

my point is the team has barely practiced, plax hasn't even been on the field, and so I don't care what our team looks like until 9/11 rolls around. Because last season Sanchez looked absolutely dreadful in the preseason, and the offense itself was pitiful, and it seemed to be confirmed in week one vs baltimore, but over the course of the rest of the season it wasn't nearly as bad as it looked in the pre season. I was at the jets redskins pre season game last year and that was as bad as it got, sanchez was tossing ridiculous passes 1-2 of which were intercepted and everyone around me was ready to jump off the side of the stadium in despair. And if you told me that this offense would stage 5 4th quarter/OT comebacks/last second wins (some in the very last seconds) I would have thought you were crazy, so what I am trying to say is the team has barely practiced, they don't take the field for real for an entire month, so we should all step back off the ledge for the time being.

Is Kerley in the slot? Pure guess, but maybe Revis is playing the slot to practice shutting down Welker? Does anybody know how Cro has done against Ocho? It seems that 85 would be a good matchup for Cro. That would let Revis handle Branch and let everybody else blast Welker. Of course that leaves a TE and back, but still there's a decent amount of bodies to cover those 2. I'd expect more Smith at LB against the Pats.

Last year Revis was dinged and didn't play extremely well. The year before the Jets supposedly rolled coverages to encourage teams to throw at him. Maybe they are doing that again.

Cro was pretty much on OchoCinco exclusively when we played them. Revis was on TO. I remember Cro was pretty physical with him actually. Although, Chad did have a nice should have been TD that went our way because the line ref called it out.

Against top Ds you just want minor competence. It's been that way in the NFL for decades. QBs that can dominate top Ds are extremely rare, even the great Peyton Manning struggled heavily in his lone SB run. He came alive a few times when the team really needed it, but otherwise generally the D will dictate the pace.

I'm sure this O will improve. Ok maybe not, Schitty does suck, but I think maybe Tom Moore will take over OC duties at mid-season if it doesn't improve.

All I want out of this offense is maybe a TD or two a game, and a FG or two a game. Really just 10 points should win it if our D is THAT good and against a top D as well. 20 offensive points should get us a blowout. Obviously the key is no turnovers. I'd rather see a 3 and out than 5 plays and then a turnover or worse giving up a defensive TD. Meanwhile I'd like to see our defense score every once in awhile, anybody remember back when the Steelers D would score a TD a game? That's dominant defensive football right there.

Really, let's at least wait for 4 regular season games to be played before rushing to judgment. Honestly I think we should be okay as a team.

10 pts? Jeez dude. Have that much faith in your boy Sanchez?

I went to practice for a bit today. The offense was dreadful. Sanchez was pretty bad. He definitely threw at least two picks in 11 on 11 play and it may have been 3. One was a great pick by Revis, diving at the sideline. Brunell looked pretty bad and was clearly rattled by the play of the guys in front of him. Its hard to get a good shot as to who was messing up the most, but it seemed like the RT position was very poor today. Sanchez did have one really nice pass down the seam that, I believe, Scotty McKnight dropped. It was one of those passes that somehow just missed the outstretched hands of two defenders and I think McKnight just lost the ball with the defenders. Im not sure if it was by design or due to just taking what the defense gave, but it seemed like they were working alot on passes to the running backs. As a running back Joe McKnight looks really slow. I know its only one practice but I think his only chance to make the team is specials. Of the guys carrying the ball I thought he was the least impressive.

wait, but klacko told me he'd be a stud cause he tore up a buffalo team that had checked out..

Really hope Greene stays healthy

I went to practice for a bit today. The offense was dreadful. Sanchez was pretty bad. He definitely threw at least two picks in 11 on 11 play and it may have been 3. One was a great pick by Revis, diving at the sideline. Brunell looked pretty bad and was clearly rattled by the play of the guys in front of him. Its hard to get a good shot as to who was messing up the most, but it seemed like the RT position was very poor today. Sanchez did have one really nice pass down the seam that, I believe, Scotty McKnight dropped. It was one of those passes that somehow just missed the outstretched hands of two defenders and I think McKnight just lost the ball with the defenders. Im not sure if it was by design or due to just taking what the defense gave, but it seemed like they were working alot on passes to the running backs. As a running back Joe McKnight looks really slow. I know its only one practice but I think his only chance to make the team is specials. Of the guys carrying the ball I thought he was the least impressive.

What was your take on the rookies?

Against top Ds you just want minor competence. It's been that way in the NFL for decades. QBs that can dominate top Ds are extremely rare, even the great Peyton Manning struggled heavily in his lone SB run. He came alive a few times when the team really needed it, but otherwise generally the D will dictate the pace.

I'm sure this O will improve. Ok maybe not, Schitty does suck, but I think maybe Tom Moore will take over OC duties at mid-season if it doesn't improve.

All I want out of this offense is maybe a TD or two a game, and a FG or two a game. Really just 10 points should win it if our D is THAT good and against a top D as well. 20 offensive points should get us a blowout. Obviously the key is no turnovers. I'd rather see a 3 and out than 5 plays and then a turnover or worse giving up a defensive TD. Meanwhile I'd like to see our defense score every once in awhile, anybody remember back when the Steelers D would score a TD a game? That's dominant defensive football right there.

Really, let's at least wait for 4 regular season games to be played before rushing to judgment. Honestly I think we should be okay as a team.

Maybe the plan all along. Put his replacement in place a consultant and apply pressure to see if Schotty smartens up. Have him place to still salvage the season. Great point.

Explain why...

Camp started on time

Sanchez had the players doing more than they would have in OTA's quite frankly

Please tell me your logic.

So the lock out has no effect on chemistry because Sanchez thru a family picnic and envited a handful of wo's of which his # 2 and 3 not even on the team yet. not even Jets back then. It effected EVERYTHING,

So the lock out has no effect on chemistry because Sanchez thru a family picnic and envited a handful of wo's of which his # 2 and 3 not even on the team yet. not even Jets back then. It effected EVERYTHING,

TC started on time, why does everyone seem to ignore that?

Most vets are on vacation until TC starts and show up to BS with eachother for OTA's (which are a joke)

It changed NOTHING

TC started on time, why does everyone seem to ignore that?

Most vets are on vacation until TC starts and show up to BS with eachother for OTA's (which are a joke)

It changed NOTHING

They didn;t even travel to REAL camp. Camp was thrown together. No OTA, no use of facility, no contact with the coaches. Nothing normal. CHANGES EVERYTHING So is your point no one talks to the coaches before training camp in a normal year?

They didn;t even travel to REAL camp. Camp was thrown together. No OTA, no use of facility, no contact with the coaches. Nothing normal. CHANGES EVERYTHING So is your point no one talks to the coaches before training camp in a normal year?

Of course they talk, and you are kidding yourself if you think they didn't this off season.

No use of the facility? Most of the good players took it a step further and went to special training facilities... I would go on a limb and say some players are better prepared.

Camp was not thrown together, they had a specific plan and you know it. They were ready to roll the moment they could... sign out front... rookies in a hotel... camp playbooks ready and schedules made.

Of course they talk, and you are kidding yourself if you think they didn't this off season.

No use of the facility? Most of the good players took it a step further and went to special training facilities... I would go on a limb and say some players are better prepared.

Camp was not thrown together, they had a specific plan and you know it. They were ready to roll the moment they could... sign out front... rookies in a hotel... camp playbooks ready and schedules made.

Your kidding yourself if you think they had normal communication during the lock out. Players and coaches like it or not where on different sides.

What about our two receivers that where not in camp? I think the late FA hurt them. This was a big deal.

I think people train harder when they have someone supervising and guiding them. I know their are exceptions, but the average guy would do less if they had the choice..

I agree they had a plan but no where near as comprehensive that it is during a normal year. Even Rex said the isolation and family feeling wasn't their like a normal year. Nick Mangold said it was the first time in like 8 years he didn;t go to camp. It's not the same man. Just isn't.

Crusher buddy I think what you are forgetting is these guys are professional athletes and its thier job. If you worked at a burger joint flipping burgers and you took off for a year and then returned would you forget how to flip burgers?

Meh...this says nothing as of yet.

We have not even played one pre-season game as yet. Not only for the JETS but I expect most teams offense to struggle in the few couple of weeks for the pre-season due to a shortened training camp. You will see a lot more drops, fumbles and timing issues. Plus in training camp teams try out a lot of plays, matchups and things that probably they don't in real game situations.

What was your take on the rookies?

I didnt really watch close enough to have a big take on them as I was more in picture taking mode than really paying close attention to specific players. Wilkerson and Ellis are pretty big. They did D-line drills close to us and they were working a bit with Ellis on technique. He looked slower than other guys at the position when being asked to move laterally. Didnt see much of Kerley or Powell. There was one pick by the defense (though it may have been Rex Ryan playing QB at this point) during drills that was purely the fault of the receiver. Might have been Kerley, but it was definitely a rookie. He just parked and waited for the ball allowing the DB to just jump right in front and grab the pass. He got yelled at for that one and its was a clear college speed vs NFL speed mistake. McElroy looked ok out there at QB. McKnight looks somewhat quick though he is small. He almost ran into us on the sidelines and Id be surprised if he is 5'10" and 180 lbs. He did drop a pass right in his hands which was a concentration drop and he got lost with all the hands in the air in front of him. They did have some big receivers in camp. It seemed like every undrafted guy must have been 6'3" or bigger. None really stood out and most looked kind of slow.

also.. offenses are of course going to be behind defenses with all the missed and we're facing off against a top 3 defense... I would expect this to be happenning

I dont think its the 11 on 11 thats the biggest concern, it was the overall QB play during drills. Both Sanchez and Brunell seemed really erratic out there. Just completely missing guys that were open. There was one pass during the receiver/corner drills where the guy got open deep and Sanchez overthrew him by a good 5 or 6 yards. That kind of stuff went on most of the time I was there. The worst one that Sanchez did was reverting back to rookie form off a broken play where he basically threw off his back foot across his body while falling down. Didnt get picked but it was a mess of a throw. The offsides stuff is a matter of missing OTAs and having backups in there. Id be really worried about the right side of the line on Monday. If Ducasse plays at all with Sanchez or is protecting Brunells blindside watch out. I thought he still looked like a complete project. Hes massive though. That side of the line was just getting overwhelmed by the defense. In both drills and full 11s the defense dominated. Calvin Pace looked really impressive, but I think that had as much to do with the bad line play as anything else.

I dont think its the 11 on 11 thats the biggest concern, it was the overall QB play during drills. Both Sanchez and Brunell seemed really erratic out there. Just completely missing guys that were open. There was one pass during the receiver/corner drills where the guy got open deep and Sanchez overthrew him by a good 5 or 6 yards. That kind of stuff went on most of the time I was there. The worst one that Sanchez did was reverting back to rookie form off a broken play where he basically threw off his back foot across his body while falling down. Didnt get picked but it was a mess of a throw. The offsides stuff is a matter of missing OTAs and having backups in there. Id be really worried about the right side of the line on Monday. If Ducasse plays at all with Sanchez or is protecting Brunells blindside watch out. I thought he still looked like a complete project. Hes massive though. That side of the line was just getting overwhelmed by the defense. In both drills and full 11s the defense dominated. Calvin Pace looked really impressive, but I think that had as much to do with the bad line play as anything else.

Was Mangold part of the groups that were having problems? Were they playing people out of place?

Your kidding yourself if you think they had normal communication during the lock out. Players and coaches like it or not where on different sides.

What about our two receivers that where not in camp? I think the late FA hurt them. This was a big deal.

I think people train harder when they have someone supervising and guiding them. I know their are exceptions, but the average guy would do less if they had the choice..

I agree they had a plan but no where near as comprehensive that it is during a normal year. Even Rex said the isolation and family feeling wasn't their like a normal year. Nick Mangold said it was the first time in like 8 years he didn;t go to camp. It's not the same man. Just isn't.

wtf are you even talking about? Camp started on time...

Plax lost NO time... none he would have reported to camp the same day he did... and Mason would have as well...

The rookies missed some BS classroom time and route running during a brief OTA... it is a joke... just like Rex calls the walkthroughs now a joke.. that is OTA's in a nutshell...

According the majority here there isnt much slack to pick up Braylon and JCo didnt do all that much :rolleyes:

What majority might that be?

I don't think anyone ever said BE and JCo didn't do all that much.

I understand it's easier to wage battles against straw men, though, so by all means carry on.

According the majority here there isnt much slack to pick up Braylon and JCo didnt do all that much :rolleyes:

They did something. Edwards, Cotchery and BSmith combined for 98 catches, 1,381 yards and 9 Tds. That is exactly what they contributed. I honestly believe that Burress, Mason and Kerley will combine for better numbers. I think oddsmakers would agree. That's despite the fact that Holmes will (we hope) be there for all 16 and that means 4 games where he'll be taking numbers from the other 3.

I never said that at all dick boy, but, whatever.

Oh? Maybe not.. but understand, when I supported your canidacy for captain, it was because you are the face of the extree Jet homer to me. I know someone said it, and it's usually a good bet it was you

They did something. Edwards, Cotchery and BSmith combined for 98 catches, 1,381 yards and 9 Tds. That is exactly what they contributed. I honestly believe that Burress, Mason and Kerley will combine for better numbers. I think oddsmakers would agree. That's despite the fact that Holmes will (we hope) be there for all 16 and that means 4 games where he'll be taking numbers from the other 3.

You are also assuming that Plax and Mason are a lock to remain on the field for a whole season.

At age 34 after missing what 2 seasons and age 37 the probability of that happening would not be very high. I think oddsmakers would agree.

And even if one on them is not available Kerley becomes our #3WR. A guy who has as yet to play a single down in the regular season!

VISAJETS takes a major step backwards

Jetnation member, VisaJets, takes a major step backward today, when he literally backed up and stuck his anus in the air.

When VisaJets shakes hands he certainly doesn't just shake hands. "Touchdown" is what he refers to when he meets up with fellow hater, Smashmouth.

Even with slats and Smashmouth, they got more "snaps" than usual, their offensive remarks took a major step backward today after building up over the previous two weeks.

By an unofficial count, Visajets finished 10 of 23 men in less than 47 seconds. Slats was charged with three dropped rectal thermometers, also by an unofficial count.

With Slats blanketed by VisaJets, his field was certainly opened up for Smashmouth, giving him a dirty Sanchez, and therfore had his best offensive day thus far.

You are also assuming that Plax and Mason are a lock to remain on the field for a whole season.

At age 34 after missing what 2 seasons and age 37 the probability of that happening would not be very high. I think oddsmakers would agree.

And even if one on them is not available Kerley becomes our #3WR. A guy who has as yet to play a single down in the regular season!

Derrick Mason hasn't missed a game since 2002. That includes years when he was 36, 35, 34... etc. I can get some concerns about Plax, but anyone who can't stop their incessant whining about Mason is clearly doing it for the purpose of nothing more than to have something else to whine about, because there is literally zero evidence whatsoever to support any sort of health issues or inability to play for Mason.

wtf are you even talking about? Camp started on time...

Plax lost NO time... none he would have reported to camp the same day he did... and Mason would have as well...

The rookies missed some BS classroom time and route running during a brief OTA... it is a joke... just like Rex calls the walkthroughs now a joke.. that is OTA's in a nutshell...

WTF Im talking about is a comment Nick Mangold made.

By Rich Cimini

They're not in Cortland, N.Y. There are no two-a-days. There are no dorm rooms. There's no after-hours team bonding. This training camp is ... well, listen to Antonio Cromartie.

"Honestly, it doesn't even feel like camp," he said Tuesday.

Such is life in the post-lockout world. Because the lockout lasted into July, the Jets had to skip their annual trip to Cortland. Instead of training for three weeks in a small town in upstate New York, they're conducting camp at their year-round facility in Florham Park, N.J.

It has its pros and cons. Rex Ryan prefers Cortland.

"All you have there is football and each other," he said. "It's more of a bonding thing and you don't have that as much here."

In Florham Park, the rookies and young vets are required to stay in a nearby hotel. But the older vets are allowed to go home every night, usually around 10 p.m. Nick Mangold said this is the first time in 10 years that he hasn't packed a bag to training camp.

"It's a little different," he said.

The last two years, the Jets credited the Cortland experience with developing team chemistry. Not only are they missing that, but they didn't have the get-acquainted time during the offseason because, well, there was no offseason due to the lockout.

On the plus side, the Jets have access to their state-of-the-art facilities in Florham Park. In Cortland, they had to deal with a makeshift weight room. Not here.

Because two-a-days are prohibited, per the new CBA, the Jets are having "meetings on top of meetings," according to Ryan. They also have a daily walk-through for 60 minutes. Ryan admits the walk throughs are tedious, but he said the team is accomplishing a lot from a mental standpoint.

But the togetherness aspect is missing.

"I miss that part of it," Ryan said. It's not the same.

You can talk about how ECURB thinks it's the same. but you don;t matter cause your just a fan. Nobody cares what you think.

It's ******* different, no m]how much you say it isn't your not. All your proving is how hard your head is. Congrats you win rockhead.

Archived