Winners and Losers From Monday Night

flgreen

Winners and losers from Jets preseason opener

| More Print

7:42 AM, August 16, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

With a few hours to digest Monday's 20-16 preseason loss to the Texans, here is who I see as the Jets' winners and losers from the game:

WINNERS

1. MARK SANCHEZ – Sure it's just the preseason, but if he had come out and gone 1-for-7, he would be getting roasted. Instead, he completed 6 of the 7 passes he threw over two drives. He worked in new receiver Derrick Mason, going to him three times. The only failure was getting into the end zone. Sanchez and Santonio Holmes looked like they picked up where they left off last year, connecting twice on short, timing routes. Sanchez also defused the whole GQ situation after the game, joking about fighting Rex Ryan and dropping a great line about that being akin to Oscar De La Hoya fighting George Foreman.

2. KENRICK ELLIS – The third-round pick has spent most of training camp in the shadow of first-rounder Muhammad Wilkerson, but he outplayed Wilkerson against the Texans. Ellis had a big tackle near the goal line, knifing through the line to make a stop. Later, the big nose tackle deflected a ball that resulted in a Josh Maugua interception. Coming from such a small school like Hampton, there were questions of how Ellis would handle his first game in front of a big crowd and on national TV but he looked like he might be able to contribute as a rookie.

3. GREG McELROY – The Jets are not looking for big things from the seventh-round pick this season. They'd like him to be their No. 3 quarterback, learn from Sanchez and Mark Brunell and then become Sanchez's backup next year. McElroy showed he's a gamer against the Texans, which should not be surprising after watching his career at Alabama. Behind an offensive line with more holes than a Krispy Kreme, McElroy got beat up. He was sacked five times and hit a bunch more. He hung in there, though, and made some nice throws. It looked like he might lead the Jets to a win, but a Michael Campbell drop in the end zone hurt him.

LOSERS

1. VLAD DUCASSE – Ryan made some excuses for the second-year lineman from UMass, saying it was tough because they had to use him at both guard and tackle. Come on, Rex. He nearly got two quarterbacks killed, and by getting beat by J.J. Watt he forced Sanchez to step up in the pocket and Rob Turner ended up getting his leg rolled up on. The Jets talked this offseason about allowing Ducasse to start at right tackle, but ultimately re-signed Wayne Hunter. Smart move. Still, the Jets are relying on Ducasse to be one of their primary reserves on the line. With Turner possibly out, Ducasse would be their top backup. He needs to show some improvement quickly.

2. REX RYAN – Remember when Tom Coughlin would rant and rave and run up and down the sideline? He got crushed in this town and eventually changed his ways. Ryan needs to get the same treatment. That was an immature display during the second quarter when he ran on the field and slammed his headset to the ground. Ryan's passion is one of his best traits, but would he want one of his players showing such a lack of poise?

3. MICHAEL CAMPBELL – The undrafted free agent receiver has played well in training camp, but he made a brutal drop in the fourth quarter on a would-be touchdown pass from McElroy. When you're trying to make the team, you can't have moments like that. I believe Ryan when he says he wants to win, even in the preseason. If Campbell makes that catch, the Jets probably would have won.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/winners_and_losers_from_monday_night_bSydKTlHIRctVVnTkFZquN#ixzz1VCYHDzzq

Winners and losers from Jets preseason opener

| More Print

7:42 AM, August 16, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

With a few hours to digest Monday's 20-16 preseason loss to the Texans, here is who I see as the Jets' winners and losers from the game:

WINNERS

1. MARK SANCHEZ – Sure it's just the preseason, but if he had come out and gone 1-for-7, he would be getting roasted. Instead, he completed 6 of the 7 passes he threw over two drives. He worked in new receiver Derrick Mason, going to him three times. The only failure was getting into the end zone. Sanchez and Santonio Holmes looked like they picked up where they left off last year, connecting twice on short, timing routes. Sanchez also defused the whole GQ situation after the game, joking about fighting Rex Ryan and dropping a great line about that being akin to Oscar De La Hoya fighting George Foreman.

2. KENRICK ELLIS – The third-round pick has spent most of training camp in the shadow of first-rounder Muhammad Wilkerson, but he outplayed Wilkerson against the Texans. Ellis had a big tackle near the goal line, knifing through the line to make a stop. Later, the big nose tackle deflected a ball that resulted in a Josh Maugua interception. Coming from such a small school like Hampton, there were questions of how Ellis would handle his first game in front of a big crowd and on national TV but he looked like he might be able to contribute as a rookie.

3. GREG McELROY – The Jets are not looking for big things from the seventh-round pick this season. They'd like him to be their No. 3 quarterback, learn from Sanchez and Mark Brunell and then become Sanchez's backup next year. McElroy showed he's a gamer against the Texans, which should not be surprising after watching his career at Alabama. Behind an offensive line with more holes than a Krispy Kreme, McElroy got beat up. He was sacked five times and hit a bunch more. He hung in there, though, and made some nice throws. It looked like he might lead the Jets to a win, but a Michael Campbell drop in the end zone hurt him.

LOSERS

1. VLAD DUCASSE – Ryan made some excuses for the second-year lineman from UMass, saying it was tough because they had to use him at both guard and tackle. Come on, Rex. He nearly got two quarterbacks killed, and by getting beat by J.J. Watt he forced Sanchez to step up in the pocket and Rob Turner ended up getting his leg rolled up on. The Jets talked this offseason about allowing Ducasse to start at right tackle, but ultimately re-signed Wayne Hunter. Smart move. Still, the Jets are relying on Ducasse to be one of their primary reserves on the line. With Turner possibly out, Ducasse would be their top backup. He needs to show some improvement quickly.

2. REX RYAN – Remember when Tom Coughlin would rant and rave and run up and down the sideline? He got crushed in this town and eventually changed his ways. Ryan needs to get the same treatment. That was an immature display during the second quarter when he ran on the field and slammed his headset to the ground. Ryan's passion is one of his best traits, but would he want one of his players showing such a lack of poise?

3. MICHAEL CAMPBELL – The undrafted free agent receiver has played well in training camp, but he made a brutal drop in the fourth quarter on a would-be touchdown pass from McElroy. When you're trying to make the team, you can't have moments like that. I believe Ryan when he says he wants to win, even in the preseason. If Campbell makes that catch, the Jets probably would have won.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/winners_and_losers_from_monday_night_bSydKTlHIRctVVnTkFZquN#ixzz1VCYHDzzq

As to Ryan tossing the headset-it's past time that that kind of bullsh*t "too many men" nonsense stops. Hen wouldn't do it in a real game, but doing it last night might just send a message that mental msitake like that are never acceptable.

I agree with 5 out of 6. I don't know how you can kill Rex on that. Something happened before that to trigger the blowup.

Anyway, Cambpell cost himself a chance at an NFL roster IMO. Sucks for him. Hope he can land on someone's PS.

I agree with 5 out of 6. I don't know how you can kill Rex on that. Something happened before that to trigger the blowup.

Anyway, Cambpell cost himself a chance at an NFL roster IMO. Sucks for him. Hope he can land on someone's PS.

Yeah, when you're on the bubble as it is, there's just certain things you can't do. Drops will always be a killer for a WR in preseason, dropping a game-winning TD is a potential career-killer. He'll probably stick around until one of the last two cutdowns simply because WR is one of those positions you always need tons of bodies around throughout all of camp and preseason, so he may have a chance to redeem himself, but he'd have to pretty much play lights out from here on out in order to make up for that one.

When you combine it with the performances we saw out of guys like Turner, DePalma and Payne, and there isn't even enough roster room to keep all of them, he just made a tough situation that much tougher for himself.

Yeah, when you're on the bubble as it is, there's just certain things you can't do. Drops will always be a killer for a WR in preseason, dropping a game-winning TD is a potential career-killer. He'll probably stick around until one of the last two cutdowns simply because WR is one of those positions you always need tons of bodies around throughout all of camp and preseason, so he may have a chance to redeem himself, but he'd have to pretty much play lights out from here on out in order to make up for that one.

When you combine it with the performances we saw out of guys like Turner, DePalma and Payne, and there isn't even enough roster room to keep all of them, he just made a tough situation that much tougher for himself.

Maybe he can call Paul Raymond for advice.

Excellent points all around, especially in bringing up the play of Turner, DePalma and Payne last night. When you're main competition shows incredible hands, then you can't be the one with dropsies.

There was a lot of things a came away with from this game, and one of them was that Turner has to make this team.

Excellent points all around, especially in bringing up the play of Turner, DePalma and Payne last night. When you're main competition shows incredible hands, then you can't be the one with dropsies.

There was a lot of things a came away with from this game, and one of them was that Turner has to make this team.

Absolutely. I've never felt better about this year's Jets WR corps than I do right now. I'm still not sure about Plax, but despite his age I felt Mason was a good insurance policy against that as he showed just last year he's still got the talent to be a hell of a #2 WR. But with how Kerley has performed so far in camp and the way those guys showed up last night (not to mention Cumberland and the RBs), the Jets definitely have a lot of guys who have come to play. The Jets honestly probably have at least 4 guys on this roster who are #4 or lower on the WR depth chart that would be a substantial upgrade over last year's #4 (and at times #3) WR.

A loss is a loss regardless if its a preseason loss or a regular season loss. Didnt you notice Rex Ryan going beserk trying to call a timeout.....with your logic a penalty is a penalty and Rex should have laughed it off. The NYJETS lost to the Texans in preseason NFL football...........Dont WE PLAY TO WIN THE GAME....... :o

A loss is a loss regardless if its a preseason loss or a regular season loss. Didnt you notice Rex Ryan going beserk trying to call a timeout.....with your logic a penalty is a penalty and Rex should have laughed it off. The NYJETS lost to the Texans in preseason NFL football...........Dont WE PLAY TO WIN THE GAME....... :o

The logic is you play your young guys most of the game to see who can make the team as a viable backup. You always play to win, but that is not the reason for the preseason. If it were that important Rex would have inserted some starters at the end as did the Texans to ensure victory. Rex went crazy last night because of stupidity from a veteran player (dixon) not knowing what the hell was going on and having to burn a time out. Also, there was still some residual anger from the sack/fumble minutes earlier.

Your passion is great but winning is really not that important right now. 9/11, it becomes the only thing. ;)

"the Jets have about as much depth as an Adam Sandler movie"

- Saw that in the paper today.

On the offensive line sure. At RB, WR, DL and CB, absolutely not; we have plenty of depth at those positions. We also have some depth at safety, but only because we have four pretty "meh" safeties rather than 1 or 2 solid ones and a couple decent backups.

The logic is you play your young guys most of the game to see who can make the team as a viable backup. You always play to win, but that is not the reason for the preseason. If it were that important Rex would have inserted some starters at the end as did the Texans to ensure victory. Rex went crazy last night because of stupidity from a veteran player (dixon) not knowing what the hell was going on and having to burn a time out. Also, there was still some residual anger from the sack/fumble minutes earlier.

Your passion is great but winning is really not that important right now. 9/11, it becomes the only thing. ;)

Agreed. But in the end the NYJETS still LOST the game.

Josh Mauga should be listed somewhere as a winner, in my opinion.

I share that same opinion. He was the most productive Jet, so for him not to get praise for that is kinda gay.

I really hope dude continues to make plays and make this team because he looks like he has the potential. If he makes the team that'll be my next jersey. I said it jokingly in another thread but I think that's what im going to start doing. Im going to start repping the guys who dont get love.

I was just thinking about the game and I remembered something: Pace looked much better than he did for most of last season. I don't think he went too long, but he looked like our best LB (at least before Mauga showed up ;) ) That could be a huge deal because with him dinged Taylor had to play every down and he wasn't suited.

Preseason games aren't about winning or losing. They're about giving the young guys a chance to shine and make the team as well as test various combinations of players and schemes. We were one dropped pass away from a win, regardless. We'll be aight.

Archived