Eli Manning and Tom Brady equals?

faba

Aug 17, 2011

Curran: Kicking around some kickoff strategy

PFT: Maybin expected to sign with Jets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Phil Perry

CSNNE.com

Say this about Eli Manning: He's got confidence.

A few months removed from finishing the 2010 season with 25 interceptions, the Giants quarterback told "The Michael Kay Show" on ESPN New York 1050 on Tuesday that he considers himself one of the league's best signal callers.

When asked if he's in the same class as Tom Brady, Manning didn't hesitate.

"I consider myself in that class," Manning said. "And Tom Brady is a great quarterback, he's a great player and what you've seen with him is he's gotten better every year. He started off winning championships and I think he's a better quarterback now than what he was, in all honesty, when he was winning those championships.

"I think now he's grown up and gotten better every year and that's what I'm trying to do. I kind of hope these next seven years of my quarterback days are my best."

The 25 picks last season were an anomaly, according to Manning.

“I’m not a 25-interception quarterback, I know that,” Manning said. “That’s going to be fixed and it should be a good year.”

The most interceptions Brady has ever thrown in a season is 14. Manning does have a Super Bowl ring and MVP, which he won after beating Brady and the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. Brady, however, has three rings, two SB MVPs and two regular season MVPs (2007, 2010). Brady also has two of the top five single-season passer ratings in NFL history.

It would seem Manning has some work to do before catching Brady, or his brother for that matter.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you heard the quote it was totally taken out of context.

But Eli is pretty underrated and also plays in a much more down the field attack than the Pats do.

That's all well and good but Eli also throws a lot of INT's. He has started every game for the Giants since 2005 and in those 96 games he has 150 TDs and 104 INTs

Tom Brady has played in 145 games and thrown 103 INTs.

I excluded Eli's rookie season (9 INTs) and included every game Brady has ever played in.

That's all well and good but Eli also throws a lot of INT's. He has started every game for the Giants since 2005 and in those 96 games he has 150 TDs and 104 INTs

Tom Brady has played in 145 games and thrown 103 INTs.

I excluded Eli's rookie season (9 INTs) and included every game Brady has ever played in.

Right, but Eli plays in a more down field offense, which will always result in more INT's.

Eli is still living off Plax and other Giant receivers making catches of balls that were not well thrown

Eli was victimized by a ton of tipped and dropped passes last year.

As far as a down field passing QB, Eli is very good. He needs to make better decisions, but he's always a guy who's capable of putting up points fast in the passing game.

Right, but Eli plays in a more down field offense, which will always result in more INT's.

Brady didn't throw the ball deep when he had Randy Moss from 2007-2010?

As you know Brady missed 2008.

2007: 8 INTs

2009: 13 INTs

2010: 4 INTs

Brady didn't throw the ball deep when he had Randy Moss from 2007-2010?

As you know Brady missed 2008.

2007: 8 INTs

2009: 13 INTs

2010: 4 INTs

One year...but the Pats system is more reliant on short passes. And Moss kind of skews thing because he's the best deep threat ever. A lot of QB's can make the go up and get it throws to a motivated Randy Moss.

I'm not trying to down play Brady, but he's not the down field passer that Peyton, Eli, Brees or Rivers is.

One year...but the Pats system is more reliant on short passes. And Moss kind of skews thing because he's the best deep threat ever. A lot of QB's can make the go up and get it throws to a motivated Randy Moss.

I'm not trying to down play Brady, but he's not the down field passer that Peyton, Eli, Brees or Rivers is.

I agree with that but why has Eli thrown so many INTs? A lot of his INT's are on short or intermediate routes. I'm not saying that Eli sucks but he needs to get a lot better with his decision making when it comes to those routes.

Some stats...

06-10

Eli

Yards: 17598 YAC:7240

58.9% thru air

41.1% YAC

Brady

Yards:16434 YAC:7636

53.5% thru air

46.5% YAC

Some more stats from 06-10

Eli

TD: 126

INT: 87

Brady

TD: 138

INT: 37

Eli played 16 more games during that time.

Brady has 12 more TDs and 50 less INTs

Some more stats from 06-10

Eli

TD: 126

INT: 87

Brady

TD: 138

INT: 37

Eli played 16 more games during that time.

Brady has 12 more TDs and 50 less INTs

Show even more stats from 06-10

Eli

Super Bowls won: 1

Brady

Super Bowls won: 0

I don't really think Eli's as good as Brady, I just find this stat really funny. :P

The Jets quarterback is talking the talk but he better watch out because in New York you are expected to back it up on the field, otherwise you will look like a fool.

Oh wait, the Giants quarterback I mean...

IMO Sanchez should have a chip on his shoulder. He may be average in the regular season but he steps up in the playoffs. Eli had a 4 game run in 2007 where everything went his way. That is pretty much his claim to fame.

Show even more stats from 06-10

Eli

Super Bowls won: 1

Brady

Super Bowls won: 0

I don't really think Eli's as good as Brady, I just find this stat really funny. :P

GFY you homer :P

Why is Matt39 so in love with Eli? I don't get it.

For a guy like Eli, who has put up very good seasons where int's havent been a huge issue...you realize that turnovers can be extremely flukey.

Even if Sanchez doesnt progress like we hope this year- we can still get really lucky on turnovers like we did in 2004 I think and win on smoke and mirrors(not that I expect that, but it happens)

Don LaGreca just embarrassing himself on 1050 ESPN right now, trying to argue that Eli Manning IS in the class of Tom Brady. That is LUDICROUS. There's not even a discussion to have here. The only QB in the league that is in Tom Brady's class is Peyton Manning. That's it. You wanna debate whether Rodgers belongs there... fine, but that's about it.

Don LaGreca just embarrassing himself on 1050 ESPN right now, trying to argue that Eli Manning IS in the class of Tom Brady. That is LUDICROUS. There's not even a discussion to have here. The only QB in the league that is in Tom Brady's class is Peyton Manning. That's it. You wanna debate whether Rodgers belongs there... fine, but that's about it.

Yeah, I don't get that at all. Even if you want to expand the argument, there's plenty of guys other than the ones you mentioned who enter into the debate long before Eli (Brees, Rivers, etc.).

For a guy like Eli, who has put up very good seasons where int's havent been a huge issue...you realize that turnovers can be extremely flukey.

Even if Sanchez doesnt progress like we hope this year- we can still get really lucky on turnovers like we did in 2004 I think and win on smoke and mirrors(not that I expect that, but it happens)

Turnovers can be flukey but why does Eli have so many?

Turnovers can be flukey but why does Eli have so many?

Other than last year- he hasn't been awful with the INT's. Last year was a fluke, they'll drop this year.

Even with the turnovers last season, the Giants offense was still very good.

Brees threw a bunch of picks last year too.

He's not bad. To be discussed along w/ Tom Brady you have to be better than "not bad"

This is basically the equivalent of debating whether Antonio Cromartie is in the "class" of Darelle Revis.... no... absurd.

He was put on the spot with a loaded question....this argument has been completely media driven.

Brady is a better QB than Eli obviously and is far more accurate...but the only thing I will say is that Eli plays in a riskier passing offense. The Pats do a lot more dinking and dunking and rely on YAC and guys beating 3rd corners and linebackers.

Other than last year- he hasn't been awful with the INT's. Last year was a fluke, they'll drop this year.

Even with the turnovers last season, the Giants offense was still very good.

Brees threw a bunch of picks last year too.

I don't care what Brees did last year. Manning has proven that he will throw the ball to the other team time and time again. Last year was a fluke? He will throw at least 17 INTs this season.

Brees Rivers ?

What a terrible comparison. Eli's tooting his own horn saying that crap. 25 picks? Hello? That's more than Sanchez in his rookie year! What an egomaniac. He's not even in Peyton's class. I'm not saying he sucks or anything, he's a good player, but not elite. He's got the potential to be, however. We'll see how he does this year.

Archived