Plaxico Burress Debut

Morrissey

In fact, he looked quicker than he did on the Giants.

Before Plaxico got banged up, Darrelle Revis made it known that he's never seen a player, of Plaxico's size, as quick as Plaxico is. I guess you seen the same types of things out of Burress tonight that Revis seen in practice. Which was QUICKNESS.

We gotta thank the Jets front office on this one. We just STOLE Burress away from the entire league.

Looked very good out there. Downsides: poor blocking, and shied away from contact a bit. Still you have to like what you saw tonight.

Maybe it was different on tv but in person he seemed not to be afraid of blocking/contact.

He has the potential to be the best wr on the team if he stays healthy.

"We have a great defense -- we know that -- and I'm challenging our offense to score 28, 30 points a game," said Burress, who caught three for 66 yards, including a 26-yard touchdown grab. "I believe it's something we can do. We definitely have all the weapons to do so."

Loved this quote.

"We have a great defense -- we know that -- and I'm challenging our offense to score 28, 30 points a game," said Burress, who caught three for 66 yards, including a 26-yard touchdown grab. "I believe it's something we can do. We definitely have all the weapons to do so."

Loved this quote.

Music to my ears. Falling in love with this guy!

Loved this quote.

Me too. Hope the coaches hear it.

It seems to be the Jets' philosophy to use the offense to play keep away, and let the defense do the heavy lifting. You hear it a lot, that that's what teams with strong defenses should do. I've never agreed with that. I've always felt that having a top level defense should allow you to take more chances on offense. The Jets are always looking to control the TOP to limit the opposition's opportunities, but nothing puts more pressure on an opposing offense than falling behind on the scoreboard by a couple TD's. Quick strike TD's hit right at the opponent's heart. Five play, 80 yard TD drives do the same thing.

If they do that, the stats will come. The defense will lead the league against the run, and pile up the sacks and takeaways. The offense can spend fourth quarters/second halves handing off downhill.

Looked very good out there. Downsides: poor blocking, and shied away from contact a bit. Still you have to like what you saw tonight.

Possibly because its preseason and doesn't matter.

Good to see him show up. However Clowney dominated the preseason too... we are watching practice games, can't wait for the real thing.

It seems to be the Jets' philosophy to use the offense to play keep away, and let the defense do the heavy lifting. You hear it a lot, that that's what teams with strong defenses should do. I've never agreed with that. I've always felt that having a top level defense should allow you to take more chances on offense. The Jets are always looking to control the TOP to limit the opposition's opportunities, but nothing puts more pressure on an opposing offense than falling behind on the scoreboard by a couple TD's. Quick strike TD's hit right at the opponent's heart. Five play, 80 yard TD drives do the same thing.

If they do that, the stats will come. The defense will lead the league against the run, and pile up the sacks and takeaways. The offense can spend fourth quarters/second halves handing off downhill.

Agreed completely.. the problem is that a chance taking offense will result in more points and more yards against the defense (whether successful or not), ruining that #1 defensive ranking that is very important to Rex and some of the players

Possibly because its preseason and doesn't matter.

Good to see him show up. However Clowney dominated the preseason too... we are watching practice games, can't wait for the real thing.

Yeah, but Clowney did it with preseason superstar Brett Ratliff getting him the ball.

Agreed completely.. the problem is that a chance taking offense will result in more points and more yards against the defense (whether successful or not), ruining that #1 defensive ranking that is very important to Rex and some of the players

This is very likely true, but I hope it's not their thinking. Completely defeatist.

And yet, it could easily be their thinking.

hes no Braylon!

Nope, he's better...much much better

Loved this quote.

Hell yeah!!! Thats exactly what we need on offense. Challenging mofo's like it aint no thang.

If the Jets can put up 28-30 a game on offense the defense's numbers are going to be sick. We're talking serious sack and takeway numbers.

I think he played great last night. Hopefully the backs defending him were playing 100%, not sure. I've liked Plaxico ever since he had a breakout game with MSU against Michigan. I listened to the game while painting my (not yet born, now 11) son's new bedroom. Will never forget that day.

What scared me was more subtle...twisting his ballcap to the side on the bench after his TD. I think Sanchez walked by and pulled it forward..then Plax twisted it again. I like football players who are smart, and I've never met anyone into the sideways-hat look who wasn't a complete idiot.

Edit: if you know any genuinely smart people who do the sideways-hat thing, let me know. Then I'll sleep better.

I was impressed. I wanted Edwards back, but I was pretty shocked how good he looked tonight. In fact, he looked quicker than he did on the Giants. I don't think even the biggest supporters of Plaxico thought he would look that good.

So, what you're saying is:

"Perhaps the FO does know what they are doing and complaining about their moves before we actually see the players they brought in perform on the field might have been a mistake"?

I think he played great last night. Hopefully the backs defending him were playing 100%, not sure. I've liked Plaxico ever since he had a breakout game with MSU against Michigan. I listened to the game while painting my (not yet born, now 11) son's new bedroom. Will never forget that day.

What scared me was more subtle...twisting his ballcap to the side on the bench after his TD. I think Sanchez walked by and pulled it forward..then Plax twisted it again. I like football players who are smart, and I've never met anyone into the sideways-hat look who wasn't a complete idiot.

I wanted the Jets to draft Plaxico so bad that year. Pittsburgh was supposed to take Pennington, and then Plaxico was going to fall to us.

Oh, the humanity!

If the Jets can put up 28-30 a game on offense the defense's numbers are going to be sick. We're talking serious sack and takeway numbers.

THIS. As good as the defense has been, they looked worn down at times. That's what three-and-out does to you. Those 99 yard drives make for nice defensive breathers.

I'm not sure that I agree with this. I don't think Rex would allow a Josh McDaniels style spread offense or anything, but I have to believe he would sign up for 28 points a game. He probably thinks that he could have the best d in the league playing from in front all game anyway.

I agree with this. Back in the Ram's SB year they'd just get up big, and then their defense would just go right after you. That defense wasn't even all that great, but with opposing teams absolutely desperate they'd just get turnovers and put games away. Then other teams tried to outscore the Rams and started with onside kicks. The Rams turned around and did it right back, so everyone pretty much rolled over and lost until the Patriots cheated the next year and the Rams decided for some reason to get rid of Warner instead of letting him recover from injury.

When you play tight it's way too easy to make mistakes and then you can't recover anyway. When you play loose you start taking advantage of an opponent's mistakes and the game just gets easier and you look much better. You can't win by expecting to never make any mistakes. You're going to make them, everyone does. The goal is to not be reckless, and just forget a mistake after it happens rather than tightening up because of it.

Considering Sanchez had 20 passes in the first half, we might be on the right direction. Pass the first 3 quarters, then run in the fourth. if opposing defenses start being deathly afraid of the pass and play us nickel for 3 quarters, that's when we run the entire game. That will happen maybe twice a year, opposing defenses don't just play the pass even against top passing teams like the Chargers and Saints. Unfortunately this is where you need a good OC, so we might have a problem.

But Sanchez needs to improve his completion percentage, and to do that he needs more chances to pass. I want to see a 26/33 game from him one day, or thereabouts. He is capable of it.

Looks like Holmes alone needs to change his name. Holmes certainly is not alone. Plex looked good last night. I love the fact that he's big enough to stop jump and grab nomatter who's in the area. He will be a force.

Very impressed. Sanchez seemed to be very comfortable with him too.

The only downside (and I think it was just to get things going... I hope) was Sanchez got caught ignoring other options for Plax a few times... but that can be fixed...

The only downside (and I think it was just to get things going... I hope) was Sanchez got caught ignoring other options for Plax a few times... but that can be fixed...

Sanchez has shown a tendency to do that with his brand new targets. That's why I'm glad they're getting this out of the way during the preseason. Same crap happened the past two years upon Holmes' and Edwards' mid-season arrivals, and it certainly wasn't pretty. At this point, he needs the work with Plax (as well as Mason) a lot more than Holmes, so it's not the worst thing in the world to be doing when the games don't count.

Edit: if you know any genuinely smart people who do the sideways-hat thing, let me know. Then I'll sleep better.

Amen. I hope one of the coaches- like Rex - tells him to knock that off. He looks like a fool and he's got some pretty good history to back that up.

Archived