Roster Projection

SMC

Two preseason games down, it seems like a good time to start predicting who'll make the cut. This is what I think it'll be.

Offense - 26

QB (3) Sanchez, Brunell, McElroy

RB (4) Greene, LT, McKnight, Powell

WR (6) Holmes, Plax, Mason, Kerley, Turner, Payne

C (2) Mangold, Felix

G (4) Slauson, Moore, Ducasse, (Cutdown Pickup)

OT(3) DBrick, Hunter, (Cutdown Pickup) [Turner (PUP)]

FB (1) Conner

TE (3) Keller, Cumberland, Mulligan

Defense - 24

S (4) Leonhard, Smith, Pool, Lowery

CB (5) Revis, Cromartie, Strickland, Wilson, Cole

DE (3) DeVito, Wilkerson, Pitoitua

DT(4) Pouha, Ellis, Tevesau, Dixon

ILB (4) Harris, Scott, Magua, Satele

OLB (4) Pace, Thomas, Westerman, Maybin

Special Teams - 3

K Folk

P Conley

LS Purdum

I think there'll be 2 oline pickups and Turner will be PUP'd. My last selection was between Satele and Gilbert, and I thought Satele would be better on STs. Normally I'd go with a DB, but I can't see Posey making the roster over Satele or Gilbert. I also think Kroul loses out to the vet OLine pickup.

Two preseason games down, it seems like a good time to start predicting who'll make the cut. This is what I think it'll be.

Offense - 26

C (2) Mangold, Felix

OT(3) DBrick, Hunter, (Cutdown Pickup) [Turner (PUP)]

FB (1) Conner

Defense - 24

S (4) Leonhard, Smith, Pool, Lowery

Special Teams - 3

K Folk

P Conley

LS Purdum

I think there'll be 2 oline pickups and Turner will be PUP'd. My last selection was between Satele and Gilbert, and I thought Satele would be better on STs. Normally I'd go with a DB, but I can't see Posey making the roster over Satele or Gilbert. I also think Kroul loses out to the vet OLine pickup.

You think they'll only keep one FB?

I think that list is very good. The only change I would make based on previous season's rosters is limit the back up "off the street" lineman acquisitions to just 1 and add another defensive back to the mix. They may grab a guy off the street because Rex loves having a ton of corners and Westoff loves have speedy wings to choose from on specials.

I think they'll keep Gilbert before they go to six WR's. Turner could be the odd man out if they decide that Cumberland is a bigger receiving threat from the TE position than Turner is as a WR. That's how it looks to me so far.

Actually, they converted Brian Toal from LB to FB - but yes, only 1 FB.

Didn't know that. Thanks! But I don't think Toal makes the roster over the other guys.

I think they'll keep Gilbert before they go to six WR's. Turner could be the odd man out if they decide that Cumberland is a bigger receiving threat from the TE position than Turner is as a WR. That's how it looks to me so far.

Possibility, but I believe the age factor for Mason and Plax comes into play here. And Turner plays STs. Will Rex view Gilbert as more important to specials than Turner? Westhoff (or as Buttle calls him) Westerman will make the call.

Also, just note that it's not clear if RTurner can be PUP'd since he was in camp and practiced. If he can't, then that will just eliminate the oline cutdown pickup

Offense - 25

WR (6) Holmes, Plax, Mason, Kerley, Turner, McKnight

C (2) Mangold, Felix

G (3) Slauson, Moore, Ducasse,

OT(3) DBrick, Hunter, Kroul [Turner (PUP)]

FB (1) Conner, Baker

Defense - 25

S (4) Leonhard, Smith, Pool, Cook

CB (6) Revis, Cromartie, Strickland, Wilson, Cole, Lowery (S/CB)

DE (4) DeVito, Wilkerson, Pitoitua,Dixon

DT(3) Pouha, Ellis, Tevesau,

Special Teams - 3

K Folk

P Conley

LS Purdum

Offense - 25

WR (6) Holmes, Plax, Mason, Kerley, Turner, McKnight

C (2) Mangold, Felix

G (3) Slauson, Moore, Ducasse,

OT(3) DBrick, Hunter, FA Pickup [Turner (PUP)]

FB (1) Conner, Baker

Defense - 25

S (4) Leonhard, Smith, Pool, Cook

CB (6) Revis, Cromartie, Strickland, Wilson, Cole, Lowery (S/CB)

DE (4) DeVito, Wilkerson, Pitoitua,Dixon

DT(3) Pouha, Ellis, Tevesau,

Special Teams - 3

K Folk

P Conley

LS Purdum

McKnight over Payne? Just don't see it. Earlier in camp I would have called it that way, but Payne is just making to many ST's plays. Haven't really seen McKnight at all.

Think he'll be lucky to make the PS

How do you cut Nick Novak if all he does is make kicks?

Good point, although Folk has outperformed Novak in practice of late and last night's game Novak only had 1 attempt.

That said, the list is who I think will make the roster, not who should.

I think you have too many O linemen. I say Gilbert will probably make it fairly easily. IIRC, last year they carried the 5 starters, plus Turner and Hunter. This year they will keep a C/G, probably Felix, and Ducasse. I certainly can see adding an OT, but I do not see adding a T and an interior lineman. I think Logan Payne has looked good on specials, but I'm not a huge fan. I think Cole does the job at least as well and will actually provide some help during regular snaps. Joe McKnight will make it, Scottie? It doesn't look good for him.

For the practice squad I think they will keep Josh Baker and I liked what I saw of Lorenzo Washington (the black #66-Kroul is the other) on rewind last night. He's a huge DE out of Alabama. The rap on him was that he is lazy and gets his pad level too high, but he has an NFL body and held up at the point of attack. He seemed to show some motor on the few plays I saw.

Agree with most of it, although I can't imagine them keeping 9 OL, not counting Turner (more on that in a sec). If they sign 2 OL, its going to be one OT and another who can play all 3 interior lines positions, in which case Felix is a goner.

My other question is, is Turner actually eligible for the PUP? Doesn't a player have to be on there from the beginning of camp? If that's the case, there's no way the Jets are carrying 10 OL on the roster into the regular season. My guess is they'll have, at most, 9 OL including Turner and possibly only 8 if they're confident in his ability to return healthy early enough in the season, considering they only typically have 2 backup OL activated on game day as is.

I think Gilbert makes the roster as well with one of those spots, and I think there could be another switch as well if the Jets decide not to go into the season with 6 WRs. I know a lot of people think Payne makes it because Westhoff is a big fan, but there seems to be a lot of guys who have shown an ability to contribute on ST this year, and that alone might not be enough to make the difference, particularly with Turner clearly showing A LOT more at the WR position.

McKnight over Payne? Just don't see it. Earlier in camp I would have called it that way, but Payne is just making to many ST's plays. Haven't really seen McKnight at all.

Think he'll be lucky to make the PS

I made a slight change, adding Matt Kroul to our OLine

As far as McKnight, he really hasn't been given his shot to shine, but lets not underestimate he;s Mark's friend. A happy Mark is a better QB for us

I made a slight change, adding Matt Kroul to our OLine

As far as McKnight, he really hasn't been given his shot to shine, but lets not underestimate he;s Mark's friend. A happy Mark is a better QB for us

I think McKnight is PS fodder. He gets money,learns this offense and stays in New York around his buddy!

Regarding the second list...

8 OL scares me when one of them is Ducasse. That's like having 7 OL for now. And two of those are Moore and Mangold who are nicked up.

We have been spoiled with no OL injuries for two years, but I feel a little uneasy with that.

WR Plaxico Burress Jeremy Kerley Logan Payne

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG Matt Slauson Matt Kroul

C Nick Mangold Robby Felix

RG Brandon Moore Robert Turner

RT Wayne Hunter Vladimir Ducasse

TE Dustin Keller Matthew Mulligan Jeff Cumberland

WR Santonio Holmes Derrick Mason Patrick Turner

QB Mark Sanchez Mark Brunell Greg McElroy

FB John Conner

RB Shonn Greene LaDainian Tomlinson Joe McKnight Bilal Powell

DE Muhammad Wilkerson Ropati Pitoitua

NT Sione Pouha Kenrick Ellis Martin Tevaseu

DT Mike DeVito Marcus Dixon

OLB Bryan Thomas Jamaal Westerman

WLB Bart Scott Josh Mauga

MLB David Harris Nick Bellore

OLB Calvin Pace Aaron Maybin

CB Darrelle Revis Kyle Wilson Donald Strickland

CB Antonio Cromartie Marquice Cole

S Eric Smith Brodney Pool

S Jim Leonhard Dwight Lowery

K Nick Folk

P T.J. Conley

LS Tanner Purdum

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. On further eval, this is the amended roster I think it will be. I had overlooked Cook before and Rex loves DBs. He'd make it over Satele. I'm torn on Gilbert, but I think Rex would go for 10 DBs over 8 DLineman. I really think Patrick Turner makes the team because of Plax & Mason age and Kerley being a rookie. Payne is strickly special teams. Last, I still think Folk makes the team over Novak, but we'll see.

Offense - 26

C (2) Mangold, Felix

OT(3) DBrick, Hunter, Turner

FB (1) Conner

Defense - 24

S (5) Leonhard, Smith, Pool, Lowery, Cook

ILB (3) Harris, Scott, Magua

Special Teams - 3

K Folk

P Conley

LS Purdum

Also note, Mulligan has lined up at FB in the past, so he'd essentially be Connor's backup. I don't think they'd sign a FB and take a spot away from the others.

Archived