Report: No more Preseason 49ers vs Raiders games

Barcs

I apologize, I messed the title up. It should say "preseason" games, because as far as I can tell they aren't reducing regular season games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6884942/san-francisco-49ers-oakland-raiders-end-preseason-rivalry-report-says

The San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders will end their annual preseason matchup as a result of the violence at Saturday's game, the San Jose Mercury News reported Monday, citing a high-ranking NFL source.

The source told the newspaper that both the NFL and local police are in favor of ending the preseason rivalry game.

Scott Van Pelt

Play Podcast

The San Jose Mercury News' Tim Kawakami talks about Oakland's selection of Terrelle Pryor in the supplemental draft and explains why the 49ers-Raiders preseason series will be discontinued.

More Podcasts »

On Monday San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee denounced the violence at the game at Candlestick Park, saying he witnessed some of the brawls himself as he sat in the stands.

Lee said Monday that he watched with horror as he saw several confrontations among fans. He called the behavior irresponsible.

Two men were seriously injured in the violence during and after the game on Saturday night. One victim was shot several times, while the other was beaten unconscious.

The public information officer at San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center said both patients brought there, a 26-year-old assault victim and a 25-year-old gunshot victim, were upgraded to fair condition Monday.

A number of videos have popped up online showing some of the brawls.

Lee says he's working with police and the 49ers to review the tapes and identify people involved in the fights.

The Bay Area Newsgroup, citing a source familiar with the police investigation, reported that Saturday's violence is suspected to have been sparked by friction between the Nortenos and Surenos gangs.

49ers president Jed York said in an appearance on KNBR radio in San Francisco on Monday that there was more security than usual for Saturday's game and there will be even more security for Saturday's game against the Houston Texans.

Is this retarded or what? A few moron fans are costing the thousands upon thousands of others one of their most fun preseason matchups. I don't understand this primitive reactionist mentality displayed in society today. Why does everyone scapegoat and dodge the real issue? The problem is gang activity in the area, not the football rivalry. Goodell is a goddamned moron and if he thinks this is going to fix the problem, he's either extremely stupid or delusional. Why don't they beef up security? Bring in extra police, screen the people that they allow into the game. NFL = 3 ring circus where the clowns are in control of the whole show.

I apologize, I messed the title up. It should say "preseason" games, because as far as I can tell they aren't reducing regular season games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6884942/san-francisco-49ers-oakland-raiders-end-preseason-rivalry-report-says

Is this retarded or what? A few moron fans are costing the thousands upon thousands of others one of their most fun preseason matchups. I don't understand this primitive reactionist mentality displayed in society today. Why does everyone scapegoat and dodge the real issue? The problem is gang activity in the area, not the football rivalry. Goodell is a goddamned moron and if he thinks this is going to fix the problem, he's either extremely stupid or delusional. Why don't they beef up security? Bring in extra police, screen the people that they allow into the game. NFL = 3 ring circus where the clowns are in control of the whole show.

This pisses me off. I think I need to go beat up a Giants fan now to work it out.

Sure, the 24-year-old wearing the “F---the Niners” T-shirt probably could have picked a better way to show his support for the Oakland Raiders. But it’s beyond comprehension how anyone can be shot several times in the stomach and left to die in the parking lot simply because of his choice of team.

We're talking about two fan bases comprised of degenerates.

I will tell you that despite their level of degeneracy, this problem is not limited to them. Last year's Jets vs. Lions game in Detroit was an eye opener for me, someone who has traveled all over the place as a visiting fan like many of you. My group of fans, including family, was about 20-25 deep and 4 of us were off-duty police officers. Originally, when the Lions changed over from the Silverdome to Ford Field, the crowd switched back from a drunken blue collar crowd to a uptight corporate a-hole collection. While that has mutated back into a 50/50 mix, there is no longer a difference between the two groups. They are all equal a-holes and spent more time harassing our group than watching their own damn game. It was my wife's first NFL game and her last, I'll never get her back to one. The fans, from the tailgate, to the crowd, were nothing but militant a-holes.....and this is from a team which has been a semen dumpster for the NFL since the 1950s.

I've been to 4 Jets games in Cleveland and have watched the changeover there as well.

You're going to get a rash of crap in the opposing team's house, I get it. That's fine. But today, things are going over the top. These incidents are merely in keeping with the ongoing behavioral breakdown of society.

We're talking about two fan bases comprised of degenerates.

I will tell you that despite their level of degeneracy, this problem is not limited to them. Last year's Jets vs. Lions game in Detroit was an eye opener for me, someone who has traveled all over the place as a visiting fan like many of you. My group of fans, including family, was about 20-25 deep and 4 of us were off-duty police officers. Originally, when the Lions changed over from the Silverdome to Ford Field, the crowd switched back from a drunken blue collar crowd to a uptight corporate a-hole collection. While that has mutated back into a 50/50 mix, there is no longer a difference between the two groups. They are all equal a-holes and spent more time harassing our group than watching their own damn game. It was my wife's first NFL game and her last, I'll never get her back to one. The fans, from the tailgate, to the crowd, were nothing but militant a-holes.....and this is from a team which has been a semen dumpster for the NFL since the 1950s.

I've been to 4 Jets games in Cleveland and have watched the changeover there as well.

You're going to get a rash of crap in the opposing team's house, I get it. That's fine. But today, things are going over the top. These incidents are merely in keeping with the ongoing behavioral breakdown of society.

sad but true........good post GOB.

my going to football games and concert days are pretty much over-who needs the aggravation anymore-unless something monumental happens like the Jets going a super bowl and I win tickets or maybe The Beatles re-uniting...and neither of those two things will probably ever happen in my lifetime-one definitely won't the other is doubtful

The SF and Oakland PD both recommended the NFL make the move.

Apparently they are both idiots. What a lazy, defeatist solution. Get on top of your gang violence and crime. You can't just go around banning sports events or any event where any violence happens. It's the gang members, not the average fans or party goers. It's a damn preseason game. Wouldn't you expect the rivalry between fans to be much worse during the regular season games? What are they going to do then?

I was just listening to sports radio in Boston and a woman called in to chime in about the incident in San Fracisco and telling the radio hosts she is rethinking her allowing her 16 and 13 year old son's going to Gillette on their own to see a Pats game. Although I beleive these kids would be fine, you just never know. There are azzholes everywhere and can the 16 year old really take care of his younger brother if need be? Too many drunken fools - and beleive me, Kraft has cleaned the place up...but druken fools tailgating are drunken fools tailgating.

Wow. I couldn't help myself from getting annoyed and pissed off watching this. I felt bad for the one security trying to break up a giant mob assault and the poor guy who looked dead on the ground.

And what do most of the people right there do? Stand there and watch with the beer and smart phone in hand so they can capture it on video to upload it on youtube to get their 10 seconds of fame. I didn't watch it with the sound on, but I wonder if out of all those people that had their phones out taking videos, one of them even thought to call the cops?

Archived