Hurricane Irene

Jetsfan80

Getting ready for the first big hurricane in a while. I live in a coastal town here in NC (Wilmington) so we gotta prepare to evacuate this weekend. Hope everybody stays safe!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/us/24hurricane.html

Hurricane Irene Strengthens as It Moves Toward U.S

By TIMOTHY WILLIAMS

Published: August 23, 2011

Hurricane Irene, with wind speeds of 100 miles per hour, was headed toward the Bahamas on Tuesday as the storm continued to gain strength as it moves in the direction of the East Coast later this week.

Related

Irene, which is now listed as a Category 2 hurricane, is expected to reach the major hurricane or Category 3 stage with speeds of 111 m.p.h. by Tuesday afternoon, said Dennis Feltgen of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. It is expected to become a Category 4 storm, with wind speeds of 131 m.p.h., within 72 hours.

On Tuesday morning, Irene was just north of the Dominican Republic and moving west-northwest at about 12 m.p.h. After passing over the Turks and Caicos Islands and the Bahamas on Tuesday afternoon, it is expected to turn in a northerly direction, traveling parallel to — and about 200 miles off — the Florida coast, Mr. Feltgen said.

The hurricane center’s projections have Irene landing on the eastern coast of North Carolina sometime this weekend, and The Associated Press reported that officials on North Carolina’s Ocracoke Island had issued a mandatory evacuation starting Wednesday morning.

Officials in South Carolina were also preparing for the storm.

“We will never have enough safe shelter space for all of the residents who live here,” Jason Patno, Charleston County’s emergency management director, said on the county’s Web site. “Therefore, we encourage everyone who has the means to leave town to do so and to consider shelters only as a last resort only when they have nowhere else to go.”

Those who have the ability to leave the county were asked to do so as soon as possible.

Mr. Feltgen said that forecasts about hurricane direction, particularly predictions made several days in advance, can lead to variations of “200 miles either way,” meaning an area from Florida to the mid-Atlantic states could be affected by Irene.

“Everybody along the East Coast should be checking in on the hurricane’s path and everyone in the Southeast should be getting prepared and paying very close attention,” he said.

Florida was last struck by a hurricane in October 2005, when Hurricane Wilma caused significant damage and numerous deaths. The last hurricane to make landfall in the United States was Hurricane Ike in 2008, which hit the Gulf Coast along Texas and Louisiana, and caused flooding as far away as Florida.

On Monday, President Obama signed an emergency disaster declaration for Puerto Rico, where Irene had dumped up to 10 inches of rain on parts of the island and caused "extensive flooding along several of the island’s rivers," said Ron Trumbla, a spokesman with the National Weather Service.

No injuries or deaths related to the storm have been reported in Puerto Rico.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be safe brother....everything I'm traking has this thing nailing the Carolinas. However, it looks likes it coming right for Myrtle Beach so hopefully, you guys wont get too much of it, just the outer bands which can be very dangerous.

I for one am completely and utterly STOKED!!! Cant concentrate at all. This is going to bring HUGE surf to the Florida Coast and I'm already taking Friday off to get the most of it I can. Should be pretty epic. Some of the more realistic forecasters are calling for 6-10 feet!!!

I for one am completely and utterly STOKED!!! Cant concentrate at all. This is going to bring HUGE surf to the Florida Coast and I'm already taking Friday off to get the most of it I can. Should be pretty epic. Some of the more realistic forecasters are calling for 6-10 feet!!!

Taking pleasure in our misery, huh? GFY. :lol:

Be safe brother....everything I'm traking has this thing nailing the Carolinas. However, it looks likes it coming right for Myrtle Beach so hopefully, you guys wont get too much of it, just the outer bands which can be very dangerous.

I hear ya. Hopfully it gets pushed much more east than the current forcast so we can get somthing good up here in Jersey. Otherwise it will just be a complete mess. Atleast I can dream of near perfect conditions by watching Teahupoo online.

I hear ya. Hopfully it gets pushed much more east than the current forcast so we can get somthing good up here in Jersey. Otherwise it will just be a complete mess. Atleast I can dream of near perfect conditions by watching Teahupoo online.

Ha! Nice, a Jersey surfer. You guys get some epic barrells up that way. I would figure Friday would be a good day for you guys no? I'm not super familiar with your swell window, I just know when ever there are storms and Surfline does their Hurricane recaps - Jersey is always firing. The latest report is claiming that there is a low forming off the coast of the Carolina's that expects to the push the storm further east. I'll cross my fingers for my northern surfing brethren (plus it will help us too) :P

Side note, the last time I was down in Nicaragua, I met a bunch of Jersery surfers in 2 different spots actually. One of the spots had 3 pro's from Jersey - cant remember their names - surfed for Ergo and were rippers.

As a kid (in the late 70s) we used to vacation north of Hatteras. It had great surf due to a miles-long offshore sandbar that a hurricane took away in the early 80's. There are still some pockets of shoreline with surf but it used to be great for a 50 mile stretch.

I'd sure like to see another storm put the sand back.

As a kid (in the late 70s) we used to vacation north of Hatteras. It had great surf due to a miles-long offshore sandbar that a hurricane took away in the early 80's. There are still some pockets of shoreline with surf but it used to be great for a 50 mile stretch.

I'd sure like to see another storm put the sand back.

Oh yeah brother, some of the best surf on the east coast happens in that area. Hatteras is part of what they call the "Outer Banks". When its on there, its on!!! "S turns" - a famous break - is one of the 50 best waves in the world. Just a pain in the a$$ to get to that area.

10 feet is pretty serious. Dibs on your car.

25 foot waves off Puerto Rico and the islands right now

Cant imagine how good it is down there right now. 10 years ago, I'd been on a plane on my way down a long time ago.

10 feet is pretty serious. Dibs on your car.

Ha! Dont worry brah, I'll pull out my 6'11 JS Pintail and get pitted, so pitted.

Ha! Nice, a Jersey surfer. You guys get some epic barrells up that way. I would figure Friday would be a good day for you guys no? I'm not super familiar with your swell window, I just know when ever there are storms and Surfline does their Hurricane recaps - Jersey is always firing. The latest report is claiming that there is a low forming off the coast of the Carolina's that expects to the push the storm further east. I'll cross my fingers for my northern surfing brethren (plus it will help us too) :P

Side note, the last time I was down in Nicaragua, I met a bunch of Jersery surfers in 2 different spots actually. One of the spots had 3 pro's from Jersey - cant remember their names - surfed for Ergo and were rippers.

Yea, it looks as of now friday is the cleanest day. Looks to build through Saturday and on Sunday peak at about 10-12+ ft, which very few spots can hold that size. But also with the onshore winds it looks like it will be a mess. HOPEFULLY there will be some leftovers on Monday.

As for Jersey Pros, the most recognizable is Sam Hammer but there is also Rob and Chris Kelly, who is happen to be some of the guys you see quite frequently getting shacked on Surfline.

Yea, it looks as of now friday is the cleanest day. Looks to build through Saturday and on Sunday peak at about 10-12+ ft, which very few spots can hold that size. But also with the onshore winds it looks like it will be a mess. HOPEFULLY there will be some leftovers on Monday.

As for Jersey Pros, the most recognizable is Sam Hammer but there is also Rob and Chris Kelly, who is happen to be some of the guys you see quite frequently getting shacked on Surfline.

Nice. Just searched Ergo's website and found one. Brendan Buckley. He actually injured himself going for some sick whirly swirly air move and went home. Some of the footage in the link below is from where we were in Nica - in fact, the scene at 19scs where he's going backside in the multi color shirt and does a big pocket turn with a little air reverse, I'm the guy in paddling in the background with the white shirt.

http://www.ergoclothing.com/team/brendan-buckley/

Too funny, this is all footage from when we bumped into these guys in Nica.

I didnt even watch the whole video above but he talks about his injury. Dude booked a flight that night, got a cab and was out. He was real casual about it, didnt seem like he hurt himself that bad. Said he came down on his board when he was doing a air and his stuck but his leg locked.

Oh yeah brother, some of the best surf on the east coast happens in that area. Hatteras is part of what they call the "Outer Banks". When its on there, its on!!! "S turns" - a famous break - is one of the 50 best waves in the world. Just a pain in the a$$ to get to that area.

I know the entire stretch of hwy 12. We were usually in Rodanthe/Salvo.

When the sandbar was in place, the 'good spot' started at Nag's head and went all the way to the Hatteras lighthouse. I was only about 10, but could walk to the breakers. Today at Rodanthe the water goes straight down, and the waves break on the shore. Still makes me mad.

I'll never forget the first year. They'd just invented this new thing called a 'boogie board' -- Maybe you've heard of them. :) My dad splurged and got us 2 of them. We were there 2 weeks in a tent with the agenda = "all day beach". My brother and I spent 10hrs a day on those boards getting 80yard rides every couple minutes.

The bad part was sleeping on the ground...the boards had rubbed our nips off, and our backs were burned bad. Didn't get much sleep!

Maybe someday a storm will stop removing and put some sand back. It's happened before.

I know the entire stretch of hwy 12. We were usually in Rodanthe/Salvo.

When the sandbar was in place, the 'good spot' started at Nag's head and went all the way to the Hatteras lighthouse. I was only about 10, but could walk to the breakers. Today at Rodanthe the water goes straight down, and the waves break on the shore. Still makes me mad.

I'll never forget the first year. They'd just invented this new thing called a 'boogie board' -- Maybe you've heard of them. :) We were there 2 weeks in a tent with the agenda = "all day beach". My brother and I spent 10hrs a day on those boards getting 80yard rides every couple minutes.

The bad part was sleeping on the ground...the boards had rubbed our nips off, and our backs were burned bad. Didn't get much sleep!

Maybe someday a storm will stop removing and put some sand back. It's happened before.

Hahahahahaha...the "boogie board".

Yeah, even at S-Turns the waves break almost into the houses there on stilts.

We've had some serious beach errosion up here in N. FL and they've recently started dredging. It makes a HUGE difference. I live on the beach, and my back yard was literally only a 50 yards of sand before the ocean...now its like almost 200 yards. And the sandbars are much better.

Hope you break your leg.

Just injured myself on a warm up session. Nothing bad.

It wasnt very good, but you take what you can get as a Florida surfer. Once I was over being a human bobber and not catching any good ones, figured I'd take the next decent one in. Get a little right, do a little turn nothing big, jumped off the board into the water on my back, not realizing how shallow it was, let myself go to the bottom and drill my back. Nice raspberry over the right hip. Stings and hurts, but nothing bad. So glad I didnt ruin the first Hurricane swell on a sh*t day. Cant remember the last time I hurt myself surfing.

Be safe everyone.

I'm on the south shore of Long Island, less than a mile from the beach and a couple marinas, in a house I wanted sold already. I am not happy. Moving all my music gear from my basement studio into the living room. It was gonna have to come up when we sold, anyway, might as well get it up now.

Also, I run the transmission system for LIPA. I'm scheduled 16 hour shifts for a few days starting Sunday, and we'll see what happens from there. Should be good money, anyway.

Also, my ex-bitch is in hyperbitch mode, refusing to let my kids come stay with her while I'm away from my closer to the water house at work. Attempting to stick it to me is apparently more important to her than her children's safety. Unbelievable.

I'm on the south shore of Long Island, less than a mile from the beach and a couple marinas, in a house I wanted sold already. I am not happy. Moving all my music gear from my basement studio into the living room. It was gonna have to come up when we sold, anyway, might as well get it up now.

Also, I run the transmission system for LIPA. I'm scheduled 16 hour shifts for a few days starting Sunday, and we'll see what happens from there. Should be good money, anyway.

Also, my ex-bitch is in hyperbitch mode, refusing to let my kids come stay with her while I'm away from my closer to the water house at work. Attempting to stick it to me is apparently more important to her than her children's safety. Unbelievable.

Stop whining and do what needs to be done to secure safety for you your family and your belongings. I really do wish you luck and hope it all works out for the best.

Archived