Hurricane Irene

Jetsfan80

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rutherford, NJ.

Consider yourself lucky, it didn't miss everyone. I lost count of how many trees are down my block. No power, lots of flooding, and the price tag on my basement is going to be steep.

I had to go outside at midnight to dig a trench it was so much water outside my house. It was pretty brutal.

Couple trees down on my block, my old town a few mins away is on the Passiac River, it's completely flooded, but crappy infrastructure is the main culprit.

When mother nature is on her game there is no infrastructure that can hold her back.

When mother nature is on her game there is no infrastructure that can hold her back.

Not always true. You can't stop mother nature, but you can certainly limit the damage. In New Orleans, if they had proper levees, New Orleans wouldn't of flooded the way it did. Same can be said for many towns on Passiac River, especially Lodi.

Edited by Holmes Alone

Not always true. You can't stop mother nature, but you can certainly limit the damage. In New Orleans, if they had proper levees, New Orleans wouldn't of flooded the way it did. Same can be said for many towns on Passiac River, especially Lodi.

Yes that would help...but ultimately.more of it is out our control than we admit.

Flooding is the biggest problem. all or most of the small bridges are under water. this is worse than floyd in 1999 and that was bad. I was trying to get to Hillsborough today and it was impossible from where I live. rte 18 and easton avenue in new brunswick will be under water for tomorrows rush hour..lol

Consider yourself lucky, it didn't miss everyone. I lost count of how many trees are down my block. No power, lots of flooding, and the price tag on my basement is going to be steep.

I had to go outside at midnight to dig a trench it was so much water outside my house. It was pretty brutal.

Oh man, back breaking work. Best of luck and hope your power in on soon!

26 hours with no power, I got it back @ 6 am. Never wanna experience that again!

Consider yourself lucky -- Back during IKE some folks a mile away from me lost power for 2 weeks -- I got lucky and only lost for 23 hours

my friends on the Island still have no power

Ah sorry. Where do you live?

I did get an estimate of close to 10k to redo everything in my basement. Want my power in exchange for that?

I'm on LI. You don't have homeowner insurance?

I'm normally against insurance, but for a home it really is a good investment. Getting $8k for the roof.

I'm normally against insurance, but for a home it really is a good investment. Getting $8k for the roof.

Unless you actually have a separate flood insurance rider, a homeowners policy does not cover flood damage in or to a home. It's rare people have flood insurance unless they are in a designated flood zone and are forced to have one by their mortgage company. Most of the time the flood insurance costs as much or more than the regular homeowners policy, around $1000 a year in a flood zone. Considering that the damage is 10k, Max would have to assume he will have a devastating flood every 10 years to make it worthwhile to have flood insurance if he is not forced to do so by his mortgage company.

We have insurance, their first answer was this was a flood and we don't have flood insurance. But we are fighting that, because it wasn't a flood that we were hit with, it was a friggin rain storm. As I get some more prices we are definitely north of 10k to get everything back in place. Now insurance won't cover all that because we need to do waterproofing, sump pump, drains etc. I know that wouldn't be covered...just want them to pay for the furniture and carpeting, then I would be happy!