Hurricane Irene

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My power came back late yesterday. I hope things work out for you on the basement Max.

I wish I had known that you're on LI and had an electricity issue, I might've been able to help. Next time you're out of lights like that, shoot me a PM.

I had lights in a few hours, and kept my ex-wife in the dark for six days. Win-win. ^_^

We have insurance, their first answer was this was a flood and we don't have flood insurance. But we are fighting that, because it wasn't a flood that we were hit with, it was a friggin rain storm. As I get some more prices we are definitely north of 10k to get everything back in place. Now insurance won't cover all that because we need to do waterproofing, sump pump, drains etc. I know that wouldn't be covered...just want them to pay for the furniture and carpeting, then I would be happy!

So if every member sends you a donation would that help the cause?

Unless you actually have a separate flood insurance rider, a homeowners policy does not cover flood damage in or to a home. It's rare people have flood insurance unless they are in a designated flood zone and are forced to have one by their mortgage company. Most of the time the flood insurance costs as much or more than the regular homeowners policy, around $1000 a year in a flood zone. Considering that the damage is 10k, Max would have to assume he will have a devastating flood every 10 years to make it worthwhile to have flood insurance if he is not forced to do so by his mortgage company.

MY mom lives in Rockaway, and had about 4 inches of water in the basement. She has flood and homeowners insurance and filed claims under both, which is what I would suggest anyoen do. Certain things like wind damage ar covered bny the homeowners, but water damage from flooding is under flood policy.As an aside, if a pipe breaks or a water heater, boiler or washing machine malfunction that is a homeowners' policy claim; if they are damaged by fllod water, it's a flood claim. No matter-both adjusters figure some things would be covered under both of the policies, though the flood claim figures to be a better return,giving her a whole new sheetrock and molding basement wall, as well as a very limited reimbursement for the various furniture items that are now unusable.

Best advice-make claims under both policies as soon as you can. And take pictures.

Was upstate for a few days. Walkill, Windham and numerous other towns along the various rivers are a complete mess. Seemed like every road was on either side covered with puddles the size of lakes and rotting produce everywhere-pumpkins, corn, tomatoes. Roads and bridges were still washed out all over the place as of yesterday. Rivers look like raging mud, and the water treatment facilities are not working at all. It's odd but they are way wose off than people by the shore.

Yeah as was stated in this claim, mine was officially denied. Again I knew I wasn't going to get it all covered but was hoping for 1-2k to get me started. Now my Jets room is on injured reserve for the season. No way can I pull off waterproofing and sump pump etc this season.

Unless I liter this place with adds....

{insert evil laugh here}

Yeah as was stated in this claim, mine was officially denied. Again I knew I wasn't going to get it all covered but was hoping for 1-2k to get me started. Now my Jets room is on injured reserve for the season. No way can I pull off waterproofing and sump pump etc this season.

Unless I liter this place with adds....

{insert evil laugh here}

MUWHAHAHAHA.........

(or perhaps a simple $55 VIP charge!)

Seriously, though, sorry about the basement damage. Flooding stinks!

MUWHAHAHAHA.........

(or perhaps a simple $55 VIP charge!)

Seriously, though, sorry about the basement damage. Flooding stinks!

Damn I thought the evil laugh was poking fun at my basement. That would have been harsh, haha.

there are still towns in CT out, with an estimate of getting power back wednesday. oy. I've seen power crews from SC, NC and FL. the national guard was brought in to ridgefield because they had a micro burst

and another storm is brewing :-(

Nice. Just searched Ergo's website and found one. Brendan Buckley. He actually injured himself going for some sick whirly swirly air move and went home. Some of the footage in the link below is from where we were in Nica - in fact, the scene at 19scs where he's going backside in the multi color shirt and does a big pocket turn with a little air reverse, I'm the guy in paddling in the background with the white shirt.

http://www.ergocloth...rendan-buckley/

Just found this video of Brendan during Irene... Needless to say it was like this all up and down the Jersey shore... And no im not posting this to bash on the officers just doing their Job.

Edited by Jetsfan1015

Just found this video of Brendan during Irene... Needless to say it was like this all up and down the Jersey shore... And no im not posting this to bash on the officers just doing their Job.

Huh? They let them surf an hour later? What were the parameters of this "law" that wasnt allowing them to surf or for people to go on the boardwalk, which wasnt much of a boardwalk. Weird.

Anyway, the barrel was thick. We got some really fun surf down here. Double overhead a couple of days with a glass off on Friday night that was unreal. Saturday was groomed perfection. It looked like trestles in backyard, not a drop of water out of place.

And we've had surf from Katia for the last 5 days. The last 3 being as good as it gets down here. Love this time of the year. Football and tons of great surf. September is my favorite month for that reason.

Anyway, the barrel was thick. We got some really fun surf down here. Double overhead a couple of days with a glass off on Friday night that was unreal. Saturday was groomed perfection. It looked like trestles in backyard, not a drop of water out of place.

Is there any more annoying lingo than surfer talk? You sound like the tool from that rollerblading movie with Seth Greene and Jack Black.

Is there any more annoying lingo than surfer talk? You sound like the tool from that rollerblading movie with Seth Greene and Jack Black.

Yes, whats more annoying is having some douche who follows you around the interwebz with the sole intent of making fun of everything you post. And I totally remember that movie. The race at the end was epic.

Would you have been more interested if this post was talking about the lastest Cisco routers, switches and VoIP? Because thats not annoying.

Huh? They let them surf an hour later? What were the parameters of this "law" that wasnt allowing them to surf or for people to go on the boardwalk, which wasnt much of a boardwalk. Weird.

And we've had surf from Katia for the last 5 days. The last 3 being as good as it gets down here. Love this time of the year. Football and tons of great surf. September is my favorite month for that reason.

I dont know the reason of the "law" either but in the morning it was like that everywhere from what I heard. I tried to get down there but all roads in seemed to be blocked.

But yea, this morning we peaked with katia (of course Im stuck at work) hopefully I can still get some when i get home. I was watching the Quiksilver pro on the Island and it seemed like some really fun head high+ surf.

I dont know the reason of the "law" either but in the morning it was like that everywhere from what I heard. I tried to get down there but all roads in seemed to be blocked.

But yea, this morning we peaked with katia (of course Im stuck at work) hopefully I can still get some when i get home. I was watching the Quiksilver pro on the Island and it seemed like some really fun head high+ surf.

Nice! Hope you get it. A local Jax Beach guy, Asher Nolan made it out of the trials for the QP. I hope he wins a heat or 2.

Katia has been awesome. We had another morning of super fun surf and just took a little lunch break to get the last of it. It was getting small with the out going tide, I'm hoping for a tide push after work. But I wont complain Katia brought 4 straight days of fun, clean, over head surf...and there's another one coming.

Yes, whats more annoying is having some douche who follows you around the interwebz with the sole intent of making fun of everything you post. And I totally remember that movie. The race at the end was epic.

Slightly hyperbolic, no?

Would you have been more interested if this post was talking about the lastest Cisco routers, switches and VoIP? Because thats not annoying.

Yes, because I often interject my thoughts on how gnarly it is to troubleshoot Draft-Rosen MVPN's, brah.

Slightly hyperbolic, no?

Yes, because I often interject my thoughts on how gnarly it is to troubleshoot Draft-Rosen MVPN's, brah.

Yes. That was the point. And if there was a thread, you'd be the leading poster. Dont lie.

Edited by JiF

Unless you actually have a separate flood insurance rider, a homeowners policy does not cover flood damage in or to a home. It's rare people have flood insurance unless they are in a designated flood zone and are forced to have one by their mortgage company. Most of the time the flood insurance costs as much or more than the regular homeowners policy, around $1000 a year in a flood zone. Considering that the damage is 10k, Max would have to assume he will have a devastating flood every 10 years to make it worthwhile to have flood insurance if he is not forced to do so by his mortgage company.

Even if you have flood insurance they can still deny coverage.

Folks along the Missouri river had flood insurance and the river went over it banks flooding their homes. When they tried to file a claim the insurance company shot them down because the Corp of Engineers opened the levee causing the river to rise. If the Corp didnt open the levee to release water, the levee would have been damaged, so they claim.

Since it was a man made disaster the insurance company wasnt liable.

Even if you have flood insurance they can still deny coverage.

Folks along the Missouri river had flood insurance and the river went over it banks flooding their homes. When they tried to file a claim the insurance company shot them down because the Corp of Engineers opened the levee causing the river to rise. If the Corp didnt open the levee to release water, the levee would have been damaged, so they claim.

Since it was a man made disaster the insurance company wasnt liable.

Crazy. So glad I don't live directly near a river right now. Upstate NY got hit hard again, with the remnants of Lee. Binghamton and surrounding areas got hit real bad.

Lock 9 in Glenville/Schenectady/Amsterdam also gave a good scare when the Mohawk washed away soil and roadway outside of the lock.

And then there's the Gilboa dam. What a disaster that would have caused.

Edited by Lady Jet

Crazy. So glad I don't live directly near a river right now. Upstate NY got hit hard again, with the remnants of Lee. Binghamton and surrounding areas got hit real bad.

Lock 9 in Glenville/Schenectady/Amsterdam also gave a good scare when the Mohawk washed away soil and roadway outside of the lock.

And then there's the Gilboa dam. What a disaster that would have caused.

Yeah, Vermont got it bad too. Covered bridges washed away.