Rex says he was fair to Vernon Gholston

visajets

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/08/rex_ryan_says_he_was_fair_to_f.html

Rex Ryan says he was fair to former Jets first-round pick Vernon Gholston

Published: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 1:01 PM Updated: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 1:22 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Follow 2

Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark Reddit

Email

Print

Ed Murray/The Star-LedgerRex Ryan said he's confused by Vernon Gholston's recent comments.

Rex Ryan disagreed with Vernon Gholston's recent comments, in which the former Jets first-round pick said he wasn't given a fair chance with the Jets.

Gholston, drafted No. 6 overall in 2008, was cut by the Jets this past winter. Now with Chicago, the defensive end told reporters after last night's Giants-Bears game that "being a first-round pick, you would have hoped for more" of a chance, via the New York Post.

"I'm confused because I think I'm fair, I think I'm more than fair," Ryan said in response today. "I think I give plenty of opportunities. But if I wasn’t viewed that way, then that’s it, but again I'm comfortable being who I am."

Gholston, who has not recorded a sack in three professional seasons, said he felt that Ryan pre-judged him, and that the Jets coach favored his players who came up from Baltimore.

"That could be accurate that I prejudged him," Ryan said. "But trust me, when I came here, I was his coach, he was one of us, and I became a Jet. Obviously, I evaluated Vernon when he came out of college; I wasn’t as high on him as maybe others were. But when I got here, we were all in. I wanted Vernon to be successful; I'd still like him to be successful. I think he's a good kid. I don’t care what he said about me, that’s fine, but I think hes a fine young man and I wish him well."

Ryan tried several tactics to maximize Gholston's potential last season, switching him from outside linebacker to defensive end and publicly raving about how good he looked in training camp last year. He even had a teammate instigate a fight with Gholston to bring out toughness.

"My job is not to just make one player better and feature one player," he said. "I thought my job was to build the best defense we can possibly build. When you look statistically if we were successful or not, it's hard to argue we weren’t successful building this defense for the betterment of the New York Jets, not just one player.

"Now, could there have been better defenses called to make Vernon a better player, to make him look like a better player? I'm sure there is. But for us, my concern is to make the New York Jets a better defense, not just one player."

In Ryan's book, released this spring, he didn't offer a favorable review of Gholston, saying he didn't like him coming out of college. He also said "he's a good athlete and a smart guy, but I thought he was a phony."

Gholston said moving on to another team was "a needed move."

"I would have liked to have Vernon back because I thought he was getting better, I really did," Ryan said. "Do I think he's ever going to be Deacon Jones? No. But I'm pretty comfortable in myself. Nobody likes to hear negative comments or whatever, but if that’s how he feels, then that’s how he feels. I'm perfectly comfortable with myself. If there's a problem somebody has or whatever, I'm not going to please everybody. That's not the position I'm in."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/08/rex_ryan_says_he_was_fair_to_f.html

Rex Ryan says he was fair to former Jets first-round pick Vernon Gholston

Published: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 1:01 PM Updated: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 1:22 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Follow 2

Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark Reddit

Email

Print

Ed Murray/The Star-LedgerRex Ryan said he's confused by Vernon Gholston's recent comments.

Rex Ryan disagreed with Vernon Gholston's recent comments, in which the former Jets first-round pick said he wasn't given a fair chance with the Jets.

Gholston, drafted No. 6 overall in 2008, was cut by the Jets this past winter. Now with Chicago, the defensive end told reporters after last night's Giants-Bears game that "being a first-round pick, you would have hoped for more" of a chance, via the New York Post.

"I'm confused because I think I'm fair, I think I'm more than fair," Ryan said in response today. "I think I give plenty of opportunities. But if I wasn’t viewed that way, then that’s it, but again I'm comfortable being who I am."

Gholston, who has not recorded a sack in three professional seasons, said he felt that Ryan pre-judged him, and that the Jets coach favored his players who came up from Baltimore.

"That could be accurate that I prejudged him," Ryan said. "But trust me, when I came here, I was his coach, he was one of us, and I became a Jet. Obviously, I evaluated Vernon when he came out of college; I wasn’t as high on him as maybe others were. But when I got here, we were all in. I wanted Vernon to be successful; I'd still like him to be successful. I think he's a good kid. I don’t care what he said about me, that’s fine, but I think hes a fine young man and I wish him well."

Ryan tried several tactics to maximize Gholston's potential last season, switching him from outside linebacker to defensive end and publicly raving about how good he looked in training camp last year. He even had a teammate instigate a fight with Gholston to bring out toughness.

"My job is not to just make one player better and feature one player," he said. "I thought my job was to build the best defense we can possibly build. When you look statistically if we were successful or not, it's hard to argue we weren’t successful building this defense for the betterment of the New York Jets, not just one player.

"Now, could there have been better defenses called to make Vernon a better player, to make him look like a better player? I'm sure there is. But for us, my concern is to make the New York Jets a better defense, not just one player."

In Ryan's book, released this spring, he didn't offer a favorable review of Gholston, saying he didn't like him coming out of college. He also said "he's a good athlete and a smart guy, but I thought he was a phony."

Gholston said moving on to another team was "a needed move."

"I would have liked to have Vernon back because I thought he was getting better, I really did," Ryan said. "Do I think he's ever going to be Deacon Jones? No. But I'm pretty comfortable in myself. Nobody likes to hear negative comments or whatever, but if that’s how he feels, then that’s how he feels. I'm perfectly comfortable with myself. If there's a problem somebody has or whatever, I'm not going to please everybody. That's not the position I'm in."

Ryan is a very nice man. Otherwise the last sentence of his comments would rightly be "Vernon Gholston sucked donkey balls at NFL football."

There's a reason you cant get any info/highlights on him. ;)

lol. Good one. :lol:

I guess I was hoping that he shows some production. I really dont want the Jets to have the biggest bust in NFL history. I mean sh*t, even ryan leaf threw a TD. I guess Im waiting for Gholston to have a 3 sack 15 tackle season so I can say hey, he's produced! lol.

lol. Good one. :lol:

I guess I was hoping that he shows some production. I really dont want the Jets to have the biggest bust in NFL history. I mean sh*t, even ryan leaf threw a TD. I guess Im waiting for Gholston to have a 3 sack 15 tackle season so I can say hey, he's produced! lol.

That'll happen when Aqua4ever realizes his Dolphins are worse than the Jets.

I have some inside info on Vernone he almost got a sack in practice 3 weeks ago .

That is all, move along.

I find it comical this guy would have any complaints at all, he was the 6th freakin pick in the draft and got every chance to succeed it just turned out he was the worst NFL player Ive ever seen. Maybin who has been here one week has already accomplished as much as Vernone with one sack and forced fumble in a preseason game. Actully it was more Im not sure Vernone ever forced a fumble.

I have some inside info on Vernone he almost got a sack in practice 3 weeks ago .

That is all, move along.

I find it comical this guy would have any complaints at all, he was the 6th freakin pick in the draft and got every chance to succeed it just turned out he was the worst NFL player Ive ever seen. Maybin who has been here one week has already accomplished as much as Vernone with one sack and forced fumble in a preseason game. Actully it was more Im not sure Vernone ever forced a fumble.

If I was an UDFA I would probably punch Gholston in the mouth after listening to his nonsense. UDFA are fighting just to get any playing time. Gholston makes it seem like he wasn't given any chance considering where he was drafted.

Saskatchewan Defensive End Gholston Says Lovie Smith, Bears didn't give him a fair shot

September 13, 2011

Vernon Gholston, the former first-round pick whose career was a bust before the Bears released him during the offseason, slammed Bears coach Lovie Smith on Monday, saying the coach and the Bears organization didn't give him a fair chance.

The Chicago Sun Times reported that the former Ohio State Buckeye -- who had zero sacks in 42 games in his Jets career -- made the comments after his new team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, lost a game to the Toronto Argonauts.

"I heard how he was perceiving me before the [2008] draft, before he knew me, and I was the same way" said Gholston, who was picked sixth overall in the 2008 NFL Draft when Eric Mangini was still coaching the Jets.

Said Smith: "We felt we might be able to get something out of Gholston in our system. We thought wrong, and decided it was in the best interests of both sides to part ways."

"Being a former first-round pick, you would have hoped for more [of a chance]," said Gholston.

Gholston, a backup defensive end for the Roughriders, also accused Smith of playing favorites with players such as Julius Peppers and Brian Urlacher.

"Whenever you have a new coach, you hope everything's fair," Gholston said. "But obviously, he had been in Chicago for a number of years and has a passion for those guys."

Despite his lack of production, Gholston expressed optimism about his new CFL career.

"Teams are always looking for talent, and to say I don't have talent is a far stretch," Gholston said. "It's all about getting a fair shot and time in the system. With the Bears, I never felt like I got the same kind of treatment as I do here in Saskatchewan."

Saskatchewan Defensive End Gholston Says Lovie Smith, Bears didn't give him a fair shot

September 13, 2011

Vernon Gholston, the former first-round pick whose career was a bust before the Bears released him during the offseason, slammed Bears coach Lovie Smith on Monday, saying the coach and the Bears organization didn't give him a fair chance.

The Chicago Sun Times reported that the former Ohio State Buckeye -- who had zero sacks in 42 games in his Jets career -- made the comments after his new team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, lost a game to the Toronto Argonauts.

"I heard how he was perceiving me before the [2008] draft, before he knew me, and I was the same way" said Gholston, who was picked sixth overall in the 2008 NFL Draft when Eric Mangini was still coaching the Jets.

Said Smith: "We felt we might be able to get something out of Gholston in our system. We thought wrong, and decided it was in the best interests of both sides to part ways."

"Being a former first-round pick, you would have hoped for more [of a chance]," said Gholston.

Gholston, a backup defensive end for the Roughriders, also accused Smith of playing favorites with players such as Julius Peppers and Brian Urlacher.

"Whenever you have a new coach, you hope everything's fair," Gholston said. "But obviously, he had been in Chicago for a number of years and has a passion for those guys."

Despite his lack of production, Gholston expressed optimism about his new CFL career.

"Teams are always looking for talent, and to say I don't have talent is a far stretch," Gholston said. "It's all about getting a fair shot and time in the system. With the Bears, I never felt like I got the same kind of treatment as I do here in Saskatchewan."

Word is hes about to be cut by the roughriders but they offered him a chance to compete aganist this guy for the waterboy spot. he lost

waterboy1.jpg

September 13, 2011

This post is about a former NYJETS player and teams that arent the NYJETS. You said "no one cares about former players". Contradictory to say the least. :rolleyes:

Archived