NYJETS add guard and S from supplemental draft

visajets

Jets claimed G/T Nevin McCaskill off waivers from the Steelers.

They also signed former Northern Illinois S Tracy Wilson, who was not picked in Monday's supplemental draft. McCaskill is a practice squad-caliber player, but the Jets are desperate for depth and versatility on the O-Line.

Jets claimed G/T Nevin McCaskill off waivers from the Steelers.

They also signed former Northern Illinois S Tracy Wilson, who was not picked in Monday's supplemental draft. McCaskill is a practice squad-caliber player, but the Jets are desperate for depth and versatility on the O-Line.

Did we sign him like we would an UDFA? Or do we lose a pick? I seriously don't know by the way

McKaskill was in camp with the Jets in 2009. The OP calls him practice squad caliber, but I'm not sure he's eligible anymore. He has been bouncing around practice squads since 2007.

From Sports Illustrated: My link

Tracy Wilson

S, Northern Illinois

6-0/200/4.55

Bio: Played in just eight games during his junior campaign, starting three after suffering through the 2010 season with a hamstring injury. Totals last season included 35 tackles and one interception. Led Northern Illinois with 93 tackles as a sophomore.

Pros: Tough, run defending safety with marginal size/speed numbers. Displays a good head for the ball, fast up the field and squares into tackles. Effective open-field tackler. Shows an aggressive nature to his game.

Cons: Marginal ball skills and struggles in coverage. Ineffective covering the slot receiver. Posted just one career interception and broke up only five passes in college.

Analysis: Wilson showed signs of being an NFL prospect as a sophomore then hobbled through his junior season with leg injuries which hampered his development. At the top of his game he's a potential zone safety but a player that must earn his wage as a special teams player. Free Agent.

Looks like another safety that can't cover.

McKaskill was in camp with the Jets in 2009. The OP calls him practice squad caliber, but I'm not sure he's eligible anymore. He has been bouncing around practice squads since 2007.

From Sports Illustrated: My link

Looks like another safety that can't cover.

Or on the bright side, he could be an ace ST coverage man.

Two warm bodies.

If they see something from the safety, maybe they'll consider placing him on the practice squad.

The OT is the very definition of a low level JAG, and will probably be replaced when better players get cut in the next couple weeks. In the meantime, they got an extra guy to get beat up in practice and the last preseason game.

Two warm bodies.

If they see something from the safety, maybe they'll consider placing him on the practice squad.

The OT is the very definition of a low level JAG, and will probably be replaced when better players get cut in the next couple weeks. In the meantime, they got an extra guy to get beat up in practice and the last preseason game.

I think that's a little harsh on McCaskill. He's been sticking around for a few years and guys don't do that without showing something. He has spent some actual roster time and has been with some good teams. It's probably his versatility playing G and T that keeps him around, but he shouldn't necessarily be considered any worse than Clifford or Landolt. I'm sure the Jets will kick the tires, but I'm not so sure they will be siging more offensive linemen.

Archived