*****The Official Gameday Thread of the NY Jets "@" NY Giants*****

JetsFanFromQueens

The offensive play calling in the first half was terrible or is the NYGIANTS defense that good? The NYGIANTS have a terrible secondary and we couldnt complete a pass. Im so impressed with McElroy at this point he is light yeas ahead of KC.

Yeah, we should give the Cowboys film of our best stuff for week 1, what were we thinking?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did everyone like the chat room? I saw a lot of people in there at one point, was that preferable to this game thread?

Meh, not a huge fan. Nothing against the particular chat room here, just the general setup I don't think is great for a football discussion. Even with the limited group of people for a preseason game, things were moving so damn fast that it made discussing points with people extremely difficult, and meanwhile you've got 4 different discussions all overlapping at the same time. Meanwhile as text is flying across the screen you're trying to keep up with that damn thing while still, you know, trying to watch a football game. A big part of what makes game threads managable is when you want to discuss certain things, the quoting function is always your savior.

How did everyone like the chat room? I saw a lot of people in there at one point, was that preferable to this game thread?

I enjoyed it very much, good job. I didnt really pay much attn to the game thread while in there, we had a nice crowd.

Meh, not a huge fan. Nothing against the particular chat room here, just the general setup I don't think is great for a football discussion. Even with the limited group of people for a preseason game, things were moving so damn fast that it made discussing points with people extremely difficult, and meanwhile you've got 4 different discussions all overlapping at the same time. Meanwhile as text is flying across the screen you're trying to keep up with that damn thing while still, you know, trying to watch a football game. A big part of what makes game threads managable is when you want to discuss certain things, the quoting function is always your savior.

Good points. I think the set up we have now will be good. Basically just more options, some people can stay in the chat room, others in the thread.

Can you guys create your own private chat rooms? I should know the answer but I don't. I know if you right click on a name you can do a private chat...not sure if you can set up a room with 10 or so people on your own. That would be pretty cool...a way for friends to connect during the game.

I missed seeing the game last night, but were The Jets as bad as Miami lovin' Rich Cimini said they were?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets

Rapid Reaction: Jets 17, Giants 3

By Rich Cimini

WHAT IT MEANS: So the Jets captured the Snoopy trophy as the winner of the first annual MetLife Bowl. Yawn. Based on the way his team played, Rex Ryan should punt the trophy. Forget about the final score, 17-3; the Jets’ starters were badly outplayed in the first half, outgained 224 yards to 73. The offense was a disaster, and the Jets made dumb penalties. Basically, they played like they didn’t give a hoot about the preseason.

WOE IS O: Mark Sanchez & Co. were brutal. Can you say “regression”? In seven possessions, the Jets’ starting offense punted five times, lost a fumble (Sanchez) and, somehow, saved face with a touchdown -- a 17-yard pass to Santonio Holmes. The Jets probably wouldn’t have scored the touchdown if it weren’t for Antonio Cromartie, who set up the offense at the Giants’ 35 with a 70-yard kickoff return.

Sanchez (8-for-16, 64 yards) was off his game from the outset, appearing indecisive as he made his reads. But this mess wasn’t all his fault. The pass protection was shoddy, and his receivers -- namely Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason -- couldn’t gain separation against the Giants’ cornerbacks. That could be something to watch, as Burress and Mason -- 34 and 37, respectively -- aren’t the fastest guys around.

The starters won’t play in Thursday night’s finale against the Eagles, which means the No. 1 offense scored only three touchdowns in 5½ quarters for the preseason. Blech!

DUMB & DUMBER: The Jets were undisciplined, committing five major penalties. The biggest blunder came from rookie DE Muhammad Wilkerson, who was ejected in the third quarter after taking a swing at RB Brandon Jacobs. Jacobs swung back, so he, too, was tossed. Wilkerson, whom the Jets are counting on to be a starter, deserves an earful from Ryan. That is unacceptable behavior.

But Wilkerson wasn’t the only guilty Jet. RT Wayne Hunter (unsportsmanlike conduct), S Brodney Pool (chop block on a punt), S Emanuel Cook (face mask) and CB Donald Strickland (unnecessary roughness) all committed 15-yard penalties. Shame on them.

All told, the Jets had seven penalties for 79 yards, including a holding call on WR Courtney Smith that nullified a TD run by backup QB Greg McElroy.

THE PLAX EFFECT: Burress doesn’t need to touch the ball to have an effect on the game. You saw that on Holmes’ touchdown reception. Burress lined up in the right slot, with Holmes on the outside, against the Giants’ three-by-two coverage. S Kenny Phillips rolled toward Burress, leaving Holmes in man-to-man against CB Corey Webster. Phillips tried to get back, but it was too late. Holmes ran a post route and got open in the back of the end zone.

Aside from that contribution, Burress’ anticipated matchup against his old team turned out to be a big zero -- as in zero catches. Burress, coming off his sensational debut against the Bengals, was targeted four times. In fact, Sanchez completed only four passes to his wideouts.

OPPORTUNISTIC D: For a team with a very good defense, the Jets made an alarmingly low number of interceptions last season (12). So far, they seem to be reversing the trend. S Jim Leonhard and LB David Harris intercepted Manning passes, giving the Jets six picks in three games (two by Leonhard). Leonhard’s interception was set up by Harris, who came on an inside blitz and slammed Manning.

BEND BUT DON’T BREAK: Aside from the interceptions, the Jets’ No. 1 defense did some nice things in one half of play, holding the Giants to 2-for-8 on third down and 0-for-1 in the red zone. But -- and this is a big "but" -- they were pushed around between the 20s. The Jets allowed 224 total yards in the first half, uncharacteristic for a Rex Ryan-coached defense. Their conventional pass rush was nowhere to be found, and there were a couple of missed tackles in the open field, including a big one by LB Bart Scott.

THE NEW BRAD: The Jets finally unveiled their 2011 version of the Wildcat, with rookie WR Jeremy Kerley -- no surprise -- taking the direct snap and playing the role of Brad Smith. The Jets ran it four times, resulting in 39 yards. Kerley ran twice for 13 yards, handed off to Joe McKnight for 8 and threw a pass -- yes, a pass! -- to Matt Mulligan for 18. That’ll give the Cowboys a little extra to think about as they prepare for the season opener.

I learned long ago not to read much into what Cimini thinks of The Jets, but I really am concerned with the Offense. Do you guys think we will have the same problem that plagued this team last season, in not being able to come out strong and put points on the board in the first half of games?

It's a fact that we won "the game" (both the half with the starters and the second half without them)

Hilarious that people are so down on the team after a win. One way or another, they WON the game and that's the point.

If you really wanna take pre-season so seriously, then the Lions are great and the Pats suck. Yeah, right.

Are we going to be in the game thread or the chat room? I thought the chat room was fine. I don't see any complex discussions in the game threads anyway, so while I agree with what Bleedin says, it didn't bother me. I was just upset that DLJ didn't say hello to me!

I missed seeing the game last night, but were The Jets as bad as Miami lovin' Rich Cimini said they were?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets

I learned long ago not to read much into what Cimini thinks of The Jets, but I really am concerned with the Offense. Do you guys think we will have the same problem that plagued this team last season, in not being able to come out strong and put points on the board in the first half of games?

Yes. They will struggle in the first half. They are a defensive team. They play close to the vest and they aren't pulling out all the stops unless they have to. They will be better, but not good enough to satisfy these people.

just got power back. couldn't even get the game on radio. can someone give me a summary ?

txs

Jets didn't move the ball much. They did seem to have some success with vanilla runs and Greene bulldozing. IIRC near the end of the half and in the start of the first the Jets put together nice drives. The Giants moved the ball well. OTOH, they went on 4th down a few times. The Jets didn't seem to use any of the exotic blitzes but they did move around before the snap and it obviously frustrated Eli who is obsessed with pointing out the Mike LB to set up the blitz pickups. They had a couple of delay of games for it. Still, the Giants moved the ball on us. Remember the turnovers we weren't getting? We got them. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Giants starters moved the ball on the Jets second teamers. Jacobs got chippy with a bunch of guys and ejected with Wilkerson for swinging. Giants got down to the one and got stoned. Nick Bellore had a great night. McElroy had a nice bootleg for a TD called back because of a meaningless hold by since cut WR Courtney Smith.

Basically a typical preseason game. Don't make too big a deal of it.

Archived