Catch The Ball Shonn Greene

Maxman

Catch The Ball Shonn Greene

by Phil Sullivan on August 30, 2011[edit]

in Featured Editorials

ShonnGreene1.jpg

This is a Public Service Announcement aimed at all eligible receivers on the football field; specifically Shonn Greene. When the quarterback throws you the football, please be so kind as to catch it. Thanks in advance.

Yes, we are poking fun at this issue but it is a serious one. A key for the Jets this year is becoming more efficient on offense. That starts with having Mark Sanchez raise his completion percentage significantly. The easiest way to accomplish that is by throwing to the running backs more when nothing is open down field.

Except the running backs need to catch the ball.

LaDainian Tomlinson excels as a receiver out of the back field. Last year he had 52 receptions for 368 yards as a receiver. L.T. once caught 100 passes in a season (2003) and has caught 50 or more in 9 different seasons.

In 2010, Shonn Greene had only 16 receptions for 120 yards. If Greene wants to be the featured back in this offense, he has to catch the ball. Last night he showed that he still has a way to go on the first series as he had another drop. It seemed to be more of a lack of concentration than a physical issue. Whatever it is, Shonn needs to improve. The Jets need a complete running back and right now Shonn isn’t there yet.

Add in the fact that Shonn Greene only had 11 receptions for less than 100 yards in college and you can see the cause for concern. The Jets will have 3rd down backs on the field that will be threats out of the backfield. They need a similar option on 1st and 2nd down and if Shonn wants that to be him, he needs to step up.

Two words: small hands

The guy will never be a natural receiver. He'll always look awkward catching the ball. It's just not what he does.

Jets will need to mix in all of their other RB's (including John Conner) better, because all of them are much better receivers than Shonn Greene will ever be. This is a big reason why I think Powell was brought in to push Greene rather than McKnight.

Two words: small hands

The guy will never be a natural receiver. He'll always look awkward catching the ball. It's just not what he does.

Jets will need to mix in all of their other RB's (including John Conner) better, because all of them are much better receivers than Shonn Greene will ever be. This is a big reason why I think Powell was brought in to push Greene rather than McKnight.

Santonio Holmes finds this statement hysterical.

I have a better idea. Don't throw him the ball. Let him run with it. That is what he is good at. Wasn't Parcells who said put people in a position to succeed at what they do well and avoid what they don't do well. Schotty is a moron.

I have a better idea. Don't throw him the ball. Let him run with it. That is what he is good at. Wasn't Parcells who said put people in a position to succeed at what they do well and avoid what they don't do well. Schotty is a moron.

Its not like we have too many designed pass plays to Greene in the playbook (at least I would think we don't). Its more or less when Greene is the only option available to Sanchez, he needs to be able to make the catch. Otherwise he can no longer be our feature back due to this liability, OR we have to telegraph when we're throwing the ball by putting in LT or McKnight.

Its not like we have too many designed pass plays to Greene in the playbook (at least I would think we don't). Its more or less when Greene is the only option available to Sanchez, he needs to be able to make the catch. Otherwise he can no longer be our feature back due to this liability, OR we have to telegraph when we're throwing the ball by putting in LT or McKnight.

An otherwise good point. But I'll buy it when I see Sanchez first look downfield, have no other open options, and then dump off to Greene or whoever the RB is. The problem is Schotty's designed dumpoffs are often the first and only option Sanchez is given on the play.

• 2 months later...

I know this comes off as my Schitty hate, but how hard is it to understand your personnel? Why is Shonn "Small hands" Greene put in position to catch passes. Same thing in the 1st Pats game where Connor is sent out in passing situation and drops a critical (and easy) 3rd down pass.

Shonn Green shouldn't be catching passes. Neither should Connor. You want a RB catching passes? Put in LT or McFumbler

Do you seriously need this one explained to you? That interception off of his hands was a total game changer.

I dont need anything explained. I watched the F'ing game. He missed a laser at his face.

The game changer was the muffed punt. That was just the icing on the cake.

LT has dropped plenty of passes recently. Fortunate for him, they havent resulted in a turnover.

I know this comes off as my Schitty hate, but how hard is it to understand your personnel? Why is Shonn "Small hands" Greene put in position to catch passes. Same thing in the 1st Pats game where Connor is sent out in passing situation and drops a critical (and easy) 3rd down pass.

Shonn Green shouldn't be catching passes. Neither should Connor. You want a RB catching passes? Put in LT or McFumbler

If you cant catch a pass you shouldn't be playing, period. Putting LT in tips your hand. Greene should be ******* cut on the spot there....he's horrible. Catch the ******* ball.

Oh please. Have your hands ready and catch the ball. I mean I don't think the agenda could be any clearer if you're going to balme Sanchez for that.

I didn't say Greene was without fault, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a terrible throw either. Add in some blame for a playcall where that was apparently the primary read as well.

I didn't say Greene was without fault, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a terrible throw either. Add in some blame for a playcall where that was apparently the primary read as well.

Greene was 100000% at fault for not catching that pass. If he cant catch the ball he shouldn't be playing. He's also not very good at running the ball either.

He turned around to a laser at his face. Even if he was expecting it...thats a tough catch for any RB to make...and even some WR's. Throw that at his chest and take 20 mph off the ball and we're not having this conversation.

He turned around to a laser at his face. Even if he was expecting it...thats a tough catch for any RB to make...and even some WR's. Throw that at his chest and take 20 mph off the ball and we're not having this conversation.

Greene was fully turned around before the ball was even close to him.

Greene was 100000% at fault for not catching that pass. If he cant catch the ball he shouldn't be playing. He's also not very good at running the ball either.

Agree to disagree about the blame... to me, putting a guy who is not known as a pass-catcher in a position to fail by making him the primary read on a play and then throwing a ball directly at his facemask from less than 10 yards away suggests that multiple parties failed to execute in that situation.

Agree to disagree about the blame... to me, putting a guy who is not known as a pass-catcher in a position to fail by making him the primary read on a play and then throwing a ball directly at his facemask from less than 10 yards away suggests that multiple parties failed to execute in that situation.

I agree...but also, you're completely tipping your hand with LT in the game there.

Yeah, it would've bounced off his pads and fallen to the ground, incomplete.

okay, greene needs to spend a few weeks with the JUGS machine this offseason. You cant put LT in there every time you may need to check it down on a passing play. and greene is not getting cut. he is a decent back.

Kyle Wilson....fVck that dood was horrendous last night. Wish he would have showed up. might have been a different game, then again, the way we were giving it away, probably not...

Archived