Will The Jets Offense Continue To Struggle?

JetNation

helmet.gif

Following a disappointing offensive performance Monday night there is a growing concern over the Jet’s inability to consistently move the ball and put points on the board.  With the regular season set to begin on September 11th, will Gang Green’s offensive woes continue?  Lets take a look at some of the contributing factors to the offensive struggles.

Lack of practice time- If you combine the lockout along with the new CBA rules eliminating two-a-days it should really come as no surprise that the Jets offense is running a little behind the defense.   It takes time to get everyone on the same page offensively, especially when you are trying to incorporate new receivers into the system.  Quarterback Mark Sanchez is still learning the tendencies of his playmakers and this is going to lead to mistakes and stalled drives as well.  (The fact that Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason has missed some practice time due to injuries does not help the cause either.)

Preseason game planning- Lost in the discussion of the Jets struggles is that the team does not game plan for the regular season.  The offense enters the game with a very vanilla script with the goal of getting the players some reps, while accumulating some film for evaluations.  This lack of game planning explains why the offense may not take advantage of certain situations or will settle for a punt.

Offensive line- The Jets offensive line, which is considered by many to be one of the strengths of the team, has had to deal with a major injury while incorporating in a new tackle in Wayne Hunter.  The Jets have been without Brandon Moore for the majority of the preseason, which has lead to some reshuffling, while Hunter is still learning the ropes of becoming a starter in the NFL.  The offensive line play should improve now that Moore is back and the unit can practice/play together.

New wide receivers- The Jets have added three very talented wide receivers to their offense (Burress, Mason, Kerley), but it is going to take time for Mark Sanchez to develop chemistry with these playmakers.  The previously mentioned lack of practice time does not help and there is a very good chance that some of these growing pains will continue into the regular season.  Lets not forget that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer also needs to figure out ways to effectively use all of his new weapons, and that can take time as well.

And the answer is? The bottom line is that the Jets offensive struggles are to be expected as the unit is incorporating new pieces in an accelerated environment.  Add to the fact that it is only the preseason and the panic button should be put away.  There is a chance that the Jets offense will struggle early in the first game or two of the regular season, but other than that I think Gang Green will have no problem putting points on the board.

di</img>di</img>

d0pEXiy7r5A

View the full article

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard Dilfer with Cowturd today. He says Jet obsession with running on first and second down makes it difficult to go vertical when it is an obvious passing down. He said that most big yardage in the passing game is made on first and second down. Says the Jets will not win a SB until they can be a pass first offense.

Heard Dilfer with Cowturd today. He says Jet obsession with running on first and second down makes it difficult to go vertical when it is an obvious passing down. He said that most big yardage in the passing game is made on first and second down. Says the Jets will not win a SB until they can be a pass first offense.

He is an idiot... here is the breakdown from the game Monday.. It really is not possible to throw anymore than that and stay somewhat balanced...

1st Down

7 Passes

3 Runs

Pass

Pass

Run

Pass

Pass

Pass

Run

Pass

Run

Pass

2nd Down

5 Passes

5 Runs

Run

Pass

Run

Pass

Run

Pass

Run

Pass

Pass

Run

3rd Down

6 Passes

2 Runs

Pass

Pass

Run

Pass

Pass

Run

Pass

Pass

TOTAL

18 Passes

10 Runs

He is an idiot... here is the breakdown from the game Monday.. It really is not possible to throw anymore than that and stay somewhat balanced...

1st Down

7 Passes

3 Runs

Pass

Pass

Run

Pass

Pass

Pass

Run

Pass

Run

Pass

2nd Down

5 Passes

5 Runs

Run

Pass

Run

Pass

Run

Pass

Run

Pass

Pass

Run

3rd Down

6 Passes

2 Runs

Pass

Pass

Run

Pass

Pass

Run

Pass

Pass

TOTAL

18 Passes

10 Runs

That's one game dude, you and I both know historically the Jets tend to run these 3 plays:

Run up gut loss

Run up gut 2 yard gain

3rd and long pass behind the first down marker

Punt

Then when the Jets are down, I love this so much, the plays change to:

Run up gut loss

Run up gut loss

3rd and long PRAAAY ACTION PAAA----sack fumble/INT pick 6

You see how that play action pass fooled them? Since the Jets run all the time I mean on 1st and 2nd down.

And don't deny it, just watch the AFCC game against the Steelers again and cross reference the game commentary thread, where I call the play action sack fumble defensive TD.

I didn't see the last game and I've said that repeatedly, listened to parts on the radio and asked people for how the team looked. Most people said awful, and Sanchez takes a lot of the blame, maybe all. ESPN radio today says he is hesitant and gives up shots downfield, and what I heard on the radio during the game confirmed that.

And I'll make my comment on the chemistry in another post.

New WRs, lack of chemistry, lack of practice etc. is all a load of bunk.

Exhibit A: Sam Bradford

Exhibit B: Sam's WRs, who all got injured week after week forcing him to throw to a new one.

I think that's more than enough. If Sanchez can't in his third year match a rookie on the worst team in the NFL the two years before he got there, Sanchez should be cut and we need a new QB. No excuses. Start producing, bottom line.

That's one game dude, you and I both know historically the Jets tend to run these 3 plays:

Run up gut loss

Run up gut 2 yard gain

3rd and long pass behind the first down marker

Punt

Then when the Jets are down, I love this so much, the plays change to:

Run up gut loss

Run up gut loss

3rd and long PRAAAY ACTION PAAA----sack fumble/INT pick 6

You see how that play action pass fooled them? Since the Jets run all the time I mean on 1st and 2nd down.

And don't deny it, just watch the AFCC game against the Steelers again and cross reference the game commentary thread, where I call the play action sack fumble defensive TD.

I didn't see the last game and I've said that repeatedly, listened to parts on the radio and asked people for how the team looked. Most people said awful, and Sanchez takes a lot of the blame, maybe all. ESPN radio today says he is hesitant and gives up shots downfield, and what I heard on the radio during the game confirmed that.

And I'll make my comment on the chemistry in another post.

How did they average 20+ pts playing like that? How did they mount a comeback against Pitt playing like that?

How did they average 20+ pts playing like that? How did they mount a comeback against Pitt playing like that?

Exactly. That's why they always need to make comebacks.

Because they do nothing for 3 quarters. Against good teams, wasting a half takes you completely out of the game and you can't come back.

Against the bad teams, you can come back maybe half the time, that's why they're bad teams.

Problem is there are less bad teams this season.

This offense needs work, are you going to deny that?

Because they do nothing for 3 quarters. Against good teams, wasting a half takes you completely out of the game and you can't come back.

Against the bad teams, you can come back maybe half the time, that's why they're bad teams.

My point was the most recent game and ONLY game with the new WR's suggests that the offense has changed... what are you going based off of?

Im sorry but I dont see this offense doing much at all they will have their moments but you can forget about consistency. This team will go as the defense goes and I think we are going to struggle to put a consistent offense on the field.

Our WR's will not get separation, our play calling will fail as it has for years, and Sanchez will once again get the blame. There will be times during the year where the offense might show some signs but thats about all we will get is signs. I dont think there is any way our WR's scare anyone and I doubt Plax and Mason will be able to play a full season without nagging injuries hampering them throughout. That means Holmes is going to draw a lot of coverage. Sorry but I think the Front Office has done a miserable job getting Sanchez the weapons he needs to succeed. If they would have kept Braylon and then signed either a Mason or a Plax it would have taken the every down pressure off of that old receiver.... but to think that those 2 guys can play everydown is absolutely ridiculous. The only way this team wins a SB is if we have one of those "once every 10 years" type of a defense Like the Bears, Ravens, and Giants when they won their SB's. The best comparison I guess would be the Ravens because that team won it with no offense but they did have a 2000 yard rusher hell they won it with Trent Dilfer then dumped him the next year. I hope Im wrong

Im sorry but I dont see this offense doing much at all they will have their moments but you can forget about consistency. This team will go as the defense goes and I think we are going to struggle to put a consistent offense on the field.

Our WR's will not get separation, our play calling will fail as it has for years, and Sanchez will once again get the blame. There will be times during the year where the offense might show some signs but thats about all we will get is signs. I dont think there is any way our WR's scare anyone and I doubt Plax and Mason will be able to play a full season without nagging injuries hampering them throughout. That means Holmes is going to draw a lot of coverage. Sorry but I think the Front Office has done a miserable job getting Sanchez the weapons he needs to succeed. If they would have kept Braylon and then signed either a Mason or a Plax it would have taken the every down pressure off of that old receiver.... but to think that those 2 guys can play everydown is absolutely ridiculous. The only way this team wins a SB is if we have one of those "once every 10 years" type of a defense Like the Bears, Ravens, and Giants when they won their SB's. The best comparison I guess would be the Ravens because that team won it with no offense but they did have a 2000 yard rusher hell they won it with Trent Dilfer then dumped him the next year. I hope Im wrong

GREATEST FOOTBALL MIND EVER!!!

Cant wait till you the GM of the Jets. Tanny sucks. You are going to make this team elite. We'll have 4 #1 WR's under your guidance.

Smash for GM!!!

With young WR's that werew starting to Gel with Sanchez that are now being replaced by old men that he has to get used to if they can stay healthy long enough to make it to the playoffs. Unless our Defense plays out of its mind we're looking at 8-8 and you can forget winning the division and getting some home playoff games which is what we really need to get us to a SB

GREATEST FOOTBALL MIND EVER!!!

Cant wait till you the GM of the Jets. Tanny sucks. You are going to make this team elite. We'll have 4 #1 WR's under your guidance.

Smash for GM!!!

Im sorry for thinking this was a message board where people come to post their opinions JIF WTF was I thinking.

Im not asking for 4 great WR's Im asking for players who can at the very least consistently produce without falling apart. Already your 2 freakin staring WR's have not even been able to practice consistently with your young QB do you think thats going to bode well for the beginning of the season where our schedule is insane ?

With young WR's that werew starting to Gel with Sanchez that are now being replaced by old men that he has to get used to if they can stay healthy long enough to make it to the playoffs. Unless our Defense plays out of its mind we're looking at 8-8 and you can forget winning the division and getting some home playoff games which is what we really need to get us to a SB

Good point. Because its definitely been the Jets passing attack thats got them to the AFCG in back to back seasons.

See what I mean? You're the best. Nobody knows more than you.

Not gonna argue with you JIF . Its obvious defense is what got us where we were . Shotty has way too much power running our offense sometimes Rex dosent even know what the hell is going on on that side of the ball and that is a HUGE mistake the biggest one to be honest. Trust me if this team gets to the playoffs again all it takes is one series of Shotty to bring it all crumbling down just like last year . In a close game remember ONE SERIES is all it takes add that in with the old men at WR and you have a recipie for disaster.

If rex wanted to hand fll control of the offense to a coordinator he should have dumped Shotty a few years ago and handed the reigns to someone capable

Not gonna argue with you JIF . Its obvious defense is what got us where we were . Shotty has way too much power running our offense sometimes Rex dosent even know what the hell is going on on that side of the ball and that is a HUGE mistake the biggest one to be honest. Trust me if this team gets to the playoffs again all it takes is one series of Shotty to bring it all crumbling down just like last year . In a close game remember ONE SERIES is all it takes add that in with the old men at WR and you have a recipie for disaster.

If rex wanted to hand fll control of the offense to a coordinator he should have dumped Shotty a few years ago and handed the reigns to someone capable

Well, our passing attack sucks because of Mark and Schotty. Both to blame. Our WR's are just fine. we are returning 3 of our 4 top WR's targets and added two bad asses. 1 that doesnt need space and another who is awesome at creating space.

You shoud know this having the greatest football mind ever. Prob the best WRs in the league.

Well, our passing attack sucks because of Mark and Schotty. Both to blame. Our WR's are just fine. we are returning 3 of our 4 top WR's targets and added two bad asses. 1 that doesnt need space and another who is awesome at creating space.

You shoud know this having the greatest football mind ever. Prob the best WRs in the league.

best WR's in the league ? You really are a trainwreck also I changed the sig under my avatar weeks ago once I learned your football knowledge was well beyond anything I could hope to know. :) WAY BEYOND, LIGHT YEARS in FAct

best WR's in the league ? You really are a trainwreck also I changed the sig under my avatar weeks ago once I learned your football knowledge was well beyond anything I could hope to know. :) WAY BEYOND, LIGHT YEARS in FAct

When are you going to grow up?

So Sanchez sucks? Yes or no.

Sucks. Bad.

No, but the reason the offense was shaky throughout the first half of the playoffs was Sanchez. Not knocking him, just saying. Did you see how much he was overthrowing every receiver in the first half of each game?

It just seems to me that some games last year the playcalling was so tight assed that it seemed that our coaching staff was gameplanning for a team that had Tom Matte at QB. I know Sanchez makes some plays. I cannot abide his AWFUL completion percentage.

It just seems to me that some games last year the playcalling was so tight assed that it seemed that our coaching staff was gameplanning for a team that had Tom Matte at QB. I know Sanchez makes some plays. I cannot abide his AWFUL completion percentage.

Early this preseason I said the Jets should start games getting Sanchez involved early with some short high percenage passes. In the second Pre Season game they did just that by opening up the game with a short passing attack then mixing in the run. Sanchez was what 6 of 7 to start the game and seemed very comfortable. I was saying to myself wow idiot Shotty might finally be getting it.

So then come the Giants who played up tight on our WR's and droped LB's in the passing lanes taking away the slants. Did Shotty Adjust ? Nope. And Mark threw some balls away and 3 of those passes were dropped or Faggot Keller would not go up to catch one of them afraid to take a hit and one play looked like Plax ran an in when he was supposed to run an out. Not sure how any of this is Sanchez fault . Big reason why Sanchez Completion percentage is low is because in his first 2 years the Jets were run run pass run run pass putting the kid in constant 3rd and longs and I dont care how good a QB you are if your constantly in 3rd and longs your percentage goes way way down. Its the reason when you watch QBs like Brees and Manning with 70 + completion percentage its because they start off games with high percentage passes to get in rhythm. Put either one of those guys in constant run run pass 3rd and longs and you get the same result.

Problem here is idiot Shotty wont mix it up he will continue to let his young QB fail because he fails to see the defensive adjustments to his play calling. The Giants adjusted and we did not adjust. How many times did we have to run between the tackles vs the Giants before we tried to take it outside ?Im sorry but Shotty is an absolute disaster and I dont see this team winning a SB with him at the helm Were good enough to get close because we have a defense that makes up for the inept offense but with having to win 3 playoff games each year on the road is just too much to ask talent to bail you out all the time. At some point your going to be out coached with Shotty at the helm/

I don't believe we scored 20+ points because the WRs were young. Didn't they keep the best of the young WRs anyway?

Archived