Mets acquiring Delgado from Marlins just reported

faba

Mets Reach Deal to Acquire Delgado

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer

29 minutes ago

NEW YORK - The New York Mets reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday to acquire Carlos Delgado and $7 million from the Florida Marlins for first baseman Mike Jacobs and pitcher Yusmeiro Petit, a baseball official familiar with the talks said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal was not final.

It is the second tentative deal struck this week by the payroll-slashing Marlins, who also have a pending agreement to send 2003 World Series MVP Josh Beckett to the Boston Red Sox for three prospects.

New York would receive $7 million from the Marlins as part of the trade to offset the $48 million Delgado is owed over the next three seasons. The first baseman turned down the Mets' offer last January to accept a $52 million, four-year contract from the Marlins. But while New York offered a no-trade clause, Florida did not.

The sides have not yet agreed on how to spread the money, the official said, with the Mets proposing Florida pays $1 million next year, $2 million in 2007 and $4 million in 2008. The Marlins proposed paying $2.5 million in 2007 and $4.5 million in 2008.

The commissioner's office, which must approve the trade because more than $1 million is changing hands, will make the final decision, the official said.

The tentative deal was first reported by Newsday on its Web site after the Daily News reported Wednesday that a trade could be imminent.

In addition to Delgado's salary, the Mets must fulfill a provision in his contract that provides for state tax equalization. The official estimated that would come to between $300,000 and $450,000 next year.

Because he is a veteran player traded during a multiyear contract, Delgado would have the right to file a trade demand during the 15 days following next year's World Series.

Delgado received just $4 million last season and is owed $13.5 million in 2006, $14.5 million in 2007 and $16 million in 2008. His contract contains a club option for 2009 at $12 million with a $4 million buyout but it could become guaranteed at $16 million depending on how he finishes in MVP voting and whether he wins postseason MVP awards.

This is nothing like the Kazmir trade. Kazmir, if he stays healthy, is a potential ace.

The prospect list I posted yesterday for the Mets shows Petit having a ceiling of a #2 starter at best, and Jacobs being a platoon 1Bman.

As fans, we overrate our own prospects, and I think thats the case with Jacobs at least. He's good, but he's not a masher like Delgado.

I like it. Now if Willie is smart, he'll make the batting order Reyes-Beltran-Wright-Delgado-Floyd-Nady-FA Catcher-2nd Baseman. Thats pretty solid.

And they kept Milledge! =D>

The Mets giving up Kazmir was a big mistake- this is different IMO- Delgado is the proven big hitter we need- Petit has won in the minors but even the expets say he has no real great stuff- hard to predict as always but Kazmir had the outstanding stuff

The Mets giving up Kazmir was a big mistake- this is different IMO- Delgado is the proven big hitter we need- Petit has won in the minors but even the expets say he has no real great stuff- hard to predict as always but Kazmir had the outstanding stuff

Correct but Omar Minaya wasn't running the show when the Kazmir mistake took place.

Next up Soriano while we await Wagner decision.

I think with Delgado at first, now more than ever I do NOT want Soriano at 2nd. I think that IF the Mets can sign Hernandez or Molina to catch, with Delgado at 1st, defense at 2nd becomes paramount.

I think with a top 7 of Reyes-Beltran-Delgago-Wright-Floyd-Nady/Diaz-Hernandez/Molina, they could afford to let Anderson Hernandez and Jeff Keppinger fight it out for 2nd - two solid defense, decent BA and OBP guys who could hit 8th.

I love the timing of the Delgado move - makes a bit of a statement to Wagner letting him know they're serious about trying to contend the next couple of years.

The Mets definately helped themselves with this trade. Now we need a good Of, a closer and a 2nd baseman.

LL

Sign a closer - give Wagner 4/40. yes its overpaying. So what?

Sign a catcher - Ramon or Bengie - I prefer Ramon but would be happy with either.

Second base - let Hernandez, Keppinger, Matsui (if not dumped somewhere) fight it out. Or sign Grudzielanek. Right now, Id prefer defense and OBP to pop at second, seeing as they'll probably be hitting 7th or 8th.

OF - By this I assume you mean RF. I would let Nady and Diaz fight it out for 2006. Start Milledge at AAA this year. If he needs a full year, leave him there and put him in RF in 2007. Then shift Nady or Diaz to LF in 2007 when Floyd's contract is up. Start getting them both time in LF in 2006 for the 30-40 games Floyd may miss :D

I think this is the big trade of the offseason for the Mets, other than maybe dumping someone like Matsui by paying most of his salary.

Sign a closer - give Wagner 4/40. yes its overpaying. So what?

Sign a catcher - Ramon or Bengie - I prefer Ramon but would be happy with either.

Second base - let Hernandez, Keppinger, Matsui (if not dumped somewhere) fight it out. Or sign Grudzielanek. Right now, Id prefer defense and OBP to pop at second, seeing as they'll probably be hitting 7th or 8th.

OF - By this I assume you mean RF. I would let Nady and Diaz fight it out for 2006. Start Milledge at AAA this year. If he needs a full year, leave him there and put him in RF in 2007. Then shift Nady or Diaz to LF in 2007 when Floyd's contract is up. Start getting them both time in LF in 2006 for the 30-40 games Floyd may miss :D

I think this is the big trade of the offseason for the Mets, other than maybe dumping someone like Matsui by paying most of his salary.

Can't argue with any of that Blacklabel.

I would be more than happy with Grudzielanek as long as we ensure we upgrade the other positions you mention. I just think Omar has a hard on for Sori and will end up getting him.

What scares me about Omar is exactly what you mention - that he's got a hard on for not only Sori, but guys like Manny and Vasquez and a bunch of other "Omar's guys" and while he'd be fielding a hell of a fantasy baseball lineup, I don't want to see him gut the little farm system they have.

And I hope he keeps in mind that some of the guys they put in the field have to actually catch the ball. Diaz in the OF has always scared me, I have no idea about Nady's defense. I know Delgado ain't great defensively - at least I'm assuming he's no JT Snow. :lol:

Someone at second who can cover a lot of ground and catch the ball would be nice!

This deal for Manny or Soriano makes sense.Those guys produce every year. Delgado doesn't.

Heck, for Josh Beckett too.

But nor for Delgado. Between the whole "flag" flap and the fatc that he seems like a big time player only in a contract year, don't like it at all.

This deal for Manny or Soriano makes sense.Those guys produce every year. Delgado doesn't.

Heck, for Josh Beckett too.

But nor for Delgado. Between the whole "flag" flap and the fatc that he seems like a big time player only in a contract year, don't like it at all.

Even in his worst full seasons, he still hit .260-.270, 30ish HRs and 100ish RBIs. Thats better production than Jacobs would give you. Hell, its better production than any 1st baseman this team has ever had.

The flag thing, to me, is a non issue.

Here are some quotes I saw on another board, from Toronto media who dealt with him daily. If they're accurate, sounds like the kind of guy you might want on your team:

Bob Elliott, of the Toronto Sun

To be honest, that's just crazy," says Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi, actually breaking into laughter at the thought. "Carlos is not like that. He's a smart guy, there's no doubt about it, and he's a worldly guy. You won't see him just reading the funny pages in the paper. But he's not a preacher, not a guy who's going to be on the front and back pages of tabloids for the wrong reasons. That's not his style."

Greg Zaun on Delgado

How did his teammates react to the protest? Gregg Zaun, an ardently pro-war teammate who stated he wouldn't buy any more Dixie Chicks albums after their derogatory comments toward the Bush administration, said the following:

''He's a pretty quiet guy and it's been quiet,'' Zaun said. Delgado has never raised the issue with teammates, Zaun said. ''He has his opinion and he's decided to use that as his platform. ''Whether or not I agree with him, I salute him.'

Actually Delgado has been pretty consistent to hit 25 to 30 homers and drive in 100 runs in his career-not big just in contract years

True - the major inconsistancy has been with the occasional batting average dip, but he's always been a pretty consistant run producer. If he can hit .280-.300 with 30 HRs and 100+ RBI for the next few years, I'll be doing backflips!

Shea Stadium knocks down numbers like crazy. it's a pitchers' park-ask Beltran; ask anyone. He's gonna drop his average into the .260s, his HRs into the 20s and his RBIs into the 80s. I don't think that happens to Manny or Soriano, or at least not as much.

In Florida last year also Delgado and Cabrera were the only guys in the lineup that were lethal.

Pierre and Castillo had off years and injuries and did not set the table for them- so his stats last year are a little more impressive

Unless Carlos is starting to hit a wall, and begins the downside of his career at age 33 (and there is nothing to show that he is deteroating as of yet), then this was a very good trade for the Mets. Sure, Petit may turn into a solid pitcher down the road, but he's probably 2 years away. Jacobs may be very solid also, and showed a lot this past season, even though it was a small sample. But he is not yet a Delgado.

Excellent deal for the Mets. Blows their salary out of proportion, especially if they land Wagner. But with Piazza off the books, this did not really cost anything. With Floyd and Matsui and Glavine dropping off next year, even Wagner won't be that expensive.

It is after 2007, when Wright, Reyes, and company start to become arbitration eligible, that the money issue will surface.

All in all, this Yankee fan thinks the Mets did very well, unless Carlos starts to become less productive.

In Florida last year also Delgado and Cabrera were the only guys in the lineup that were lethal.

Pierre and Castillo had off years and injuries and did not set the table for them- so his stats last year are a little more impressive

His going to a much bigger ball-park will negate this somewhat though.

My lifetime experience of being a Mets fan will tell me that a lefty hitter is not as affected at Shea with the dimensions as a righty. So yes it is a hitters park but past experience tells me a lefty hitter it not as affected there

Excellent deal for the Mets. Blows their salary out of proportion, especially if they land Wagner. But with Piazza off the books, this did not really cost anything. With Floyd and Matsui and Glavine dropping off next year, even Wagner won't be that expensive.

It is after 2007, when Wright, Reyes, and company start to become arbitration eligible, that the money issue will surface.

All in all, this Yankee fan thinks the Mets did very well, unless Carlos starts to become less productive.

I think, all told, they can add Delgado, Wagner, a catcher and some other relievers and come in around 110 million at most. At least I read that on another message board.

My lifetime experience of being a Mets fan will tell me that a lefty hitter is not as affected at Shea with the dimensions as a righty. So yes it is a hitters park but past experience tells me a lefty hitter it not as affected there

I respectfully disagree.

Look up the career of Bobby Murcer. Here was a guy who came up to the Yankees full time in 1969. He was good for 20+ HRs every year. He hit 26 HRs in 1969, his Rookie year, followed by 23,25,33,22 from 1970-1973. His avg. was in the .250 range in 1969 and 1970, going up to .331,.292,.304 from 1971-1973.

In 1974, the Yankees moved to Shea, as the old Yankee Stadium was torn down. They would move back in 1976. Murcer hit a grand total of 10 HRs, with his first Shea HR coming in September. He played a full season, not missing 80 games or something. His avg. slumped to .274, and his slugging went down to .378, almost unheard of for a #3 or #4 hitter in those days. BTW - Murcer was 28 in 1974, th eprime of his career. He was an All Star several times before 1974. He was not some average player.

Yes, lefties are effected by Shea. Maybe not as dramatically as righties, but they are Affected.

This does not mean Delgado will struggle. But it could happen, and has happened before. Even to lefties.

Rusty Staub is another example. He hit 29 and 30 HRS the 2 seasons before he became a Met. His first year as a Met, he was injured, and played only 66 games, with 9 HRs. But he played full seasons the next 3 years, and hit 15, 19, and 19 HRs. His avg. also suffered in Shea.

Rusty played for the Mets from age 28 through 32, or the prime seasons of his career.

Agreed.

Cliff Floyd had a great year last year as a lefty hitter, and his other years in Shea weren't huge dropoffs from his years in MTL and FLA, except for that one huge year he had in FLA.

Righties who have success in other ballparks can come to Shea and get eaten alive. Another reason I vote no on SoriaNO.

Even if Delgado drops off to .275/30/100, he's still far better and far more proven over the next couple of years than anyone else they could have gotten or already had, and doesn't give up or block the advancement of the #1 position player prospect in the system who is targeting the majors in 2007 if not sooner.

I think Jacobs will be a good first baseman. I think Petit will be a good middle of the rotation pitcher, even as soon as breaking in as a 4/5 this year.

But here's my issue with Petit, and Ive posted on this before. Doesnt throw real hard, not real tall, kind of chunky, not real "toolsy" but he's shown the ability to get guys out in A and AA ball. In his admittedly short stint at AAA last year, he got hammered - something like 5 HRs in 14 innings. Was he ready? Maybe not. Was it a sign of things to come, that at higher levels batters will figure him out? Maybe.

They gave up two "potentials" for a "proven" and kept their #1 prospect.

If they can sign this Pelfrey kid and Humber can come back from surgery, you won't miss Petit at all.

I think, all told, they can add Delgado, Wagner, a catcher and some other relievers and come in around 110 million at most. At least I read that on another message board.

I will get back to you shortly. I need to do some calculations, but I think I have the effects of these salaries.

I respectfully disagree.

Look up the career of Bobby Murcer. Here was a guy who came up to the Yankees full time in 1969. He was good for 20+ HRs every year. He hit 26 HRs in 1969, his Rookie year, followed by 23,25,33,22 from 1970-1973. His avg. was in the .250 range in 1969 and 1970, going up to .331,.292,.304 from 1971-1973.

In 1974, the Yankees moved to Shea, as the old Yankee Stadium was torn down. They would move back in 1976. Murcer hit a grand total of 10 HRs, with his first Shea HR coming in September. He played a full season, not missing 80 games or something. His avg. slumped to .274, and his slugging went down to .378, almost unheard of for a #3 or #4 hitter in those days. BTW - Murcer was 28 in 1974, th eprime of his career. He was an All Star several times before 1974. He was not some average player.

Yes, lefties are effected by Shea. Maybe not as dramatically as righties, but they are Affected.

This does not mean Delgado will struggle. But it could happen, and has happened before. Even to lefties.

Rusty Staub is another example. He hit 29 and 30 HRS the 2 seasons before he became a Met. His first year as a Met, he was injured, and played only 66 games, with 9 HRs. But he played full seasons the next 3 years, and hit 15, 19, and 19 HRs. His avg. also suffered in Shea.

Rusty played for the Mets from age 28 through 32, or the prime seasons of his career.

I did not say that hitters from the left side would have no affect but lefties at Shea are less affected than righties in my opinion. If Cliff Floyd can knock 30 homers out in a season that is what Delgado given past history can do

I respectfully disagree.

Strawberry had no such problems. Floyd just had a big year at Shea.

I don't think it's a scientific fact lefties numbers suffer at Shea.

Shea is much better to hit in than the Marlins stadium anyway.

I did not say that hitters from the left side would have no affect but lefties at Shea are less affected than righties in my opinion. If Cliff Floyd can knock 30 homers out in a season that is what Delgado given past history can do

And I counter with Murcer and Staub. Both were perinnial All Stars, and both struggled mightily at Shea. Both hit HRs when 25 HRs was an excellent season for a power hitter. Not a good season, but excellent.

Time will tell.

I respectfully disagree.

Lefties are certainly affected, but Id agree not as hugely as righties. I think thats all Faba was saying. People would be nuts to say Shea doesnt cause numbers to drop. But its pretty much gospel that the hitters hurt the most by Shea are righty hitters with alley power. Ive heard all kinds of reasons for it, from the position of the scoreboard to the way the wind swirls from left to right. Guys who can hit to the RF power alley can still rake.

You can look at Shea's Park Factors from 1992-2000 (cause thats all I could dig up right now), and the differential between HRs for lefties and righties other than in 2000 is skewed heavily to lefties.

Run HR Avg L-Avg R-Avg L-HR R-HR H 2B 3B

1992 90 91 97 96 98 96 86 97 98 97

1993 96 98 97 93 101 96 99 98 85 88

1994 109 105 103 104 102 118 97 104 86 112

1995 89 102 99 104 94 124 88 99 90 130

1996 82 79 94 91 96 89 73 94 79 73

1997 101 88 101 101 102 112 77 100 107 100

1998 97 96 96 107 90 104 91 95 96 143

1999 90 81 95 97 93 95 83 93 84 75

2000 89 86 95 93 96 80 87 94 95 41

I think in recent years, guys like Alfonzo and Piazza evened the numbers up to righties.

For every Mercer or Rusty Staub, there's a guy like Darryl Strawberry or a Howard Johnson who can absolutely rake as a lefty at Shea. Im not comparing Delgado to Straw, but if Delgado hits .270/30/100, which I think is very reasonable at Shea, I'm content.

And I counter with Murcer and Staub. Both were perinnial All Stars, and both struggled mightily at Shea. Both hit HRs when 25 HRs was an excellent season for a power hitter. Not a good season, but excellent.

Time will tell.

Ok I counter with HOJO.

You're right time will tell...You are nit picking.

Ok I counter with HOJO.

You're right time will tell...You are nit picking.

HoJo was a switch-hitter, so I would need the breakout first. My point is that he will be effected somehwat. And he is not in his prime, but just leaving it, unlike Murcer, Staubb, and yes, Hojo. :wink:

upsides: potential 30 HR 120 RBI man added to lineup

downside: 33 years old, historically SHOULD be headed into his twilight

overall I like this trade if I'm the Mets, but by no means is this as much of a steal as the Beckett trade was for the Bosox

Archived