Vlad Ducasse & Kyle Wilson

Ghost

It's plausible that at some point this season WIlson may be a very good nickel corner, and may be even a replacement to Cromartie opposite Revis by 2013.

Ducasse scares the hell out of you, between the penalties and the bad. Offsides 2X while facing the Eagles' 2nd unit is reflective of a serious lack of concentration. Wilson's flaws are correctable because they're physical; he can develope ball awareness, and he can also contribute as a KR or PR. Ducasse's problems are mental, may be more so. And that kind of problem may not be correctable.

It's plausible that at some point this season WIlson may be a very good nickel corner, and may be even a replacement to Cromartie opposite Revis by 2013.

Ducasse scares the hell out of you, between the penalties and the bad. Offsides 2X while facing the Eagles' 2nd unit is reflective of a serious lack of concentration. Wilson's flaws are correctable because they're physical; he can develope ball awareness, and he can also contribute as a KR or PR. Ducasse's problems are mental, may be more so. And that kind of problem may not be correctable.

I pretty much agree with your analysis of their flaws, but couldn't disagree more with about mental mistakes being more difficullt to overcome than physical mistakes.

i beleive both players issues are mental.

Though I dont think Wilson has played too badly this preseason I think when you evaluate guys holding up roster spots you look at a corner being held due to draft stock as way more of a problem than an o-lineman. Your last backup O-line guy is normally not pressed into duty except in some jumbo goalline formations and of course in practice. Carrying a guy with upside doesnt really hurt the team in any possible way. Sometimes it just takes them years to find a position they like and play well in. Guys like Robert Gallery and Leonard Davis took ages to find a home and eventually became decent starters.

Corner is different because they are factored into so many facets of the game. In the games you are going to use most of your DB's in coverage at some point. Depth DB's are prime special teams contributors. Carrying contract space (and Im not saying Wilson is that) hurts the squad. This is why carrying Gholston those last three years was an issue. He played a position that uses many substitutions and plays specials. He rarely could be subbed in because he sucked so bad and he was a nobody on specials. The team clearly would have been better off carrying anybody else from a low cost veteran to an unproven rookie with some heart. Thats my bigger beef with Wilson. If he just looks like he will never get it (ala Justin Miller who was physically so gifted, but mentally seemed to have the football IQ of a brick) then its not worth wasting the time of holding him just for the sake of holding him.

Archived