Personnel Decisions

4HCrew

Do you keep a player like Ducasse over a LB, DE that could really help the team? At what point do you give up on projects and move on?

If we dump Ducasse and replace him it most certainly will be with another O-lineman. But I think that replacement should happen now, this team needs to learn when its made a mistake in picking a player and move on roster spots are too valuable in this league.

ducasse is a lock to make this team. a stone cold mortal lock.

here's my random personnel notes, after last night's game

-Scotty McKnight's TD catch could be enough to get him on this team as the 6th WR. ya know Tanny is dying to keep a draft pick, and I think it's good to have Mark's friend around, for support and what not. People will say that's gay, but I don't care if Mark's granny needs a roster spot, this thing is all about Sanchez.

- Ellis Lankster, 10th DB. for those keeping track that's 6CB Revis, Cro, Wilson, Strickland, Cole and Lankster, and 4 S E Smith, Leonard, Pool and Lowery.

- if Greg McElroy is IR'ed, i'd call up Brett Ratliff. He knows the plays right?

- Bellore over Satele, could make this team. Berning his CMU teammate was bashing heads in the 2nd half, perfect psquad guy

ducasse is a lock to make this team. a stone cold mortal lock.

here's my random personnel notes, after last night's game

-Scotty McKnight's TD catch could be enough to get him on this team as the 6th WR. ya know Tanny is dying to keep a draft pick, and I think it's good to have Mark's friend around, for support and what not. People will say that's gay, but I don't care if Mark's granny needs a roster spot, this thing is all about Sanchez.

- Ellis Lankster, 10th DB. for those keeping track that's 6CB Revis, Cro, Wilson, Strickland, Cole and Lankster, and 4 S E Smith, Leonard, Pool and Lowery.

- if Greg McElroy is IR'ed, i'd call up Brett Ratliff. He knows the plays right?

- Bellore over Satele, could make this team. Berning his CMU teammate was bashing heads in the 2nd half, perfect psquad guy

Do you really think they keep 6 WRs?

Do you really think they keep 6 WRs?

Probably not... but it's possible. Patrick Turner helps Schotty but doesn't help Westoff. So if they need another ST guy maybe it's a 6th WR. Payne/Depalma/McKnight type of player. If Payne's injury is minor it will be Payne. If he gets IR'ed it's wide open for a Scotty or Dan D.

I also think the more draft picks Tanny can protect on the roster, the better his drafting record looks.

Satele cut himself last night. He's not making the team or practice squad.

Berning is (practice squad, anyway). At one point, while he was smacking players around, Bart Scott went over to Rex and said something about the kid, and Rex smiled and nodded. He'll be signed to the PS.

Maybin is not making this team. He has one move (speed rush) and was consistently getting washed past the QB by backup OTs. He got a sack or two, but not on plays that would work against a first team offense.

Ducasse is not a Tackle. He's actually rounding out pretty decently as a guard - he's a brawler who does well in the confined space - but at tackle, he doesn't have the feet for it. On the other hand, if you watch closely, you can see how the position switching is messing with his head - as a Tackle, you need to block outside in. As a guard, inside out. He's blocking inside out at tackle. So maybe I'm wrong about his feet, and he's just thinking too much at OT. Either way, the Turner injury may have been a blessing in disguise, if it forces us to pick up a better swing tackle than Ducasse.

Kyle Wilson scares me. The TD wasn't his fault, but he was consistently being beat by backups and 3rd stringers. He looks a bit like Cromartie (in a bad way): incapable of playing off-man coverage. That's not good for a nickel corner who has to cover slot receivers.

Mo Wilkerson isn't ready. He was getting pushed around by backups. The jump from Temple to the NFL is no joke. He'll get there. but Pitoitua should be starting.

Jarron Gilbert should make this team. Find a way to keep him as an 8th DL.

Matt Kroul, it's been a nice run, but your time here is over. See you in camp next year.

Lankster is our 10th DB. Emmanuel Cook is getting cut. Julian Posey to the PS.

Berning is (practice squad, anyway). At one point, while he was smacking players around, Bart Scott went over to Rex and said something about the kid, and Rex smiled and nodded. He'll be signed to the PS.

Maybin is not making this team. He has one move (speed rush) and was consistently getting washed past the QB by backup OTs. He got a sack or two, but not on plays that would work against a first team offense.

Ducasse is not a Tackle. He's actually rounding out pretty decently as a guard - he's a brawler who does well in the confined space - but at tackle, he doesn't have the feet for it. On the other hand, if you watch closely, you can see how the position switching is messing with his head - as a Tackle, you need to block outside in. As a guard, inside out. He's blocking inside out at tackle. So maybe I'm wrong about his feet, and he's just thinking too much at OT. Either way, the Turner injury may have been a blessing in disguise, if it forces us to pick up a better swing tackle than Ducasse.

Kyle Wilson scares me. The TD wasn't his fault, but he was consistently being beat by backups and 3rd stringers. He looks a bit like Cromartie (in a bad way): incapable of playing off-man coverage. That's not good for a nickel corner who has to cover slot receivers.

Mo Wilkerson isn't ready. He was getting pushed around by backups. The jump from Temple to the NFL is no joke. He'll get there. but Pitoitua should be starting.

Jarron Gilbert should make this team. Find a way to keep him as an 8th DL.

Matt Kroul, it's been a nice run, but your time here is over. See you in camp next year.

Lankster is our 10th DB. Emmanuel Cook is getting cut. Julian Posey to the PS.

I get that Maybin only has one move, which is inadequate against a first team offense, but you don't think it's worth it to try and develop him purely as a pass rusher? He'll never be a bull rusher, but could he not learn spin, swims, etc. off of the initial outside burst?

I get that he's a bubble player, but I never really trust how Buffalo runs their team, especially if they did basically shun him last year with the new CS.

Agree with the rest of your thoughts. Wilson looks to have gained about 10-15 pounds of muscle mass. Doesn't change the fact that he's got cromartitis. I'm hoping he continues to develop, because I think him and Ducasse both have the physical tools to be good starters, just hella raw. Pito should get the starting job on merit, but honestly, they rotate so much being a starter is not as important as who gets the most snaps. I can't see Rex trotting WIlkerson out there just because he's a first rounder.

If you draft a guy in round 2 and you know he's going to be a bit of a project, no one cuts said player after 1 season plus 4 preseason games. If he was drafted to be ready-now and he looked lost then he still probably would stick but at least that could be justified somewhat.

He's entering year 2 without the benefit of 2 full, much-needed camps. If this is the team's level of patience they have no business ever drafting someone raw with higher upside. Everyone can't be as ready as a non-Gholston top-10 pick. Many players take a couple of years to develop.

Do you keep a player like Ducasse over a LB, DE that could really help the team? At what point do you give up on projects and move on?

ducasse is no gholston. was he a reach in the second round? i think so. this dude has ALL pysicals skills you want in an olineman. just not there mentally. look how long it took hunter to "get it". i was really down on ducasse in the first pre season game. made it a point to closely watch him since. he has played light years better since. his problems are strickly mental, not pysical. period. hell,it might take him 3 more years.but, the more i think about it,imo, when the light goes on for him, he could be one of the best olineman the jets ever had.

ducasse is no gholston. was he a reach in the second round? i think so. this dude has ALL pysicals skills you want in an olineman. just not there mentally. look how long it took hunter to "get it". i was really down on ducasse in the first pre season game. made it a point to closely watch him since. he has played light years better since. his problems are strickly mental, not pysical. period. hell,it might take him 3 more years.but, the more i think about it,imo, when the light goes on for him, he could be one of the best olineman the jets ever had.

I was really disappointed in him after the Texans game since he looked horrible after spending a year as a pro, but he seems to be improving. I think part of the problem is a team need vs. individual need. They need him to back-up several positions, but I feel like for his development he should be focusing on just one position for now.

Talk of cutting him is just dumb. He's got the physical skill-set (although I still question whether he can nail the footwork as a tackle) and high draft picks just don't get cut after one or two years unless they seriously ****-up off the field, show that they cannot improve, or are cancers in the locker room. Ducasse doesn't fit any of those.

He gets all season thru next year's training camp at a minimum. He's needs coaching and experience. He'll get both over the course of the season, with a sh*tload of coaching next spring/summer. They'll see where they stand with him then.

Probably not... but it's possible. Patrick Turner helps Schotty but doesn't help Westoff. So if they need another ST guy maybe it's a 6th WR. Payne/Depalma/McKnight type of player. If Payne's injury is minor it will be Payne. If he gets IR'ed it's wide open for a Scotty or Dan D.

I also think the more draft picks Tanny can protect on the roster, the better his drafting record looks.

Just don't think they go to six WR's. It's justified if they have two bubble guys like Payne and Turner who each bring something completely different to the table, it's not justified to just carry another guy. DePalma and McKnight are not Payne type players. Payne was doing very well on specials, the others - not so much. The Jets have enough return men in McKnight, Cromartie, Wilson, Leonhard, etc., that they don't need to carry extra bodies for that job.

Berning made a very strong case to make the practice squad. I wish that performance happened in the first game, so they could've experimented with him a little bit afterward. The guy just looks like a football player. I wonder how he looks in practice? If he's useful to Westoff, I'd love to see him as a surprise roster addition. I agree on Satele.

I think Maybin makes the team.

Ducasse will be better served this year inside, although I think they'll try to get him some work as the eligible receiver extra tackle that Turner played for the team the last couple years. I agree that they need to find an additional OT to cover themselves. I think it would be rocky at first to stick Ducasse in at guard if they needed him, but I also think he'd survive there.

Archived