David Carr or Sage Rosenfels

Sanchez: We'll be fine at quarterback

image.JPG

Updated: Sep 02, 2011 09:29 PM

By KIMBERLEY A. MARTIN

There's at least one Jets player who isn't worried about the team's lack of depth at quarterback: Mark Sanchez .

The face of the franchise believes the Jets can weather the rash of injuries, including the dislocated right thumb suffered by backup Greg McElroy .

"That's a tough loss for us, but Greg'll heal up fast,'' said Sanchez, who partnered with Hugo Boss on Friday in Manhattan to donate two checks for $25,000 apiece to Tuesday's Children, a nonprofit organization that supports families impacted by the Sept. 11 attacks.

"He's a young guy. Us young guys are like rubber -- bounce right back,'' he said with a smile.

McElroy had surgery Friday morning after injuring the thumb in the preseason finale. The Jets said he will be out indefinitely, but there are no plans to put him on injured reserve, which would end his season.

"He's going to have the best rehab staff there, so there's no doubt he'll be back as soon as humanly possible,'' Sanchez said of the third-string quarterback, who hit his thumb on the helmet of offensive lineman Matt Kroul .

Sanchez said he's confident that No. 2 quarterback Mark Brunell -- who missed the preseason with an injured pinkie and a strained calf -- will be ready for the Sept. 11 season opener against Dallas. "As far as Brunell's concerned, he's going to be ready this first game, no question,'' Sanchez said. "Fortunately, I'm healthy, I'm ready to go. And knock on wood, I'm not watching either of them play."

Sanchez said Brunell warmed up Thursday. "He looked great,'' he said. "He'll be fine.''

(it's a newsday article, so the link is pretty useless: http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=82F0463C1FA78171D39F.3133?site=newsday&view=sports_item&feed%3Aa=newsday_5min&feed%3Ac=sports&feed%3Ai=1.3141871&nopaging=1)

Brunell looked horrible last preseason, and was hurt this preseason, and it's simply impossible to have any confidence in him at all. Our rookie QB, a low round draft choice, is hurt besides.

Mentor schmentor, get a genuine QB who has led teams down the field fairly recently. Brunell certainly hasn't.

Brunell looked horrible last preseason, and was hurt this preseason, and it's simply impossible to have any confidence in him at all. Our rookie QB, a low round draft choice, is hurt besides.

Mentor schmentor, get a genuine QB who has led teams down the field fairly recently. Brunell certainly hasn't.

Thank You and I feel the same way.