Could THIS Be The Reason We Didn't Try For Braylon?

SoFlaJets

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Braylon's put together a pretty lengthy list of alcohol related incidents, and has shown no sign of learning from his own mistakes. If he can't avoid late night one car accidents and/or bar brawls when he's a UFA looking to cash in, how reliable is he going to be once he has a big contract in hand?

That's what GM's are thinking. That's why -not just the Jets, but- no one gave him a big, long term contract this year.

This possible suspension is just another symptom of a bigger problem.

I honestly think his off the field issues had little to do with it. I think it has everything to do with he and his agent looking back at being the number 3 pick in the NFL draft back in 2005 and thinking it means something in 2011. David Carr is a former number 1 draft pick. He gets paid to be a backup. Im a Braylon fan but they think hes a number 1. We liked to say he was a 1. But the numbers say he isnt a 1. They want to point to numbers he put up back in 2007 which is totally irrelevant to a contract signed in 2011. Hes a good number 2. Number 2 receivers dont get 5 year 40 million dollar deals, with half of it guaranteed. They get 4 year 20-25 million dollar deals with maybe a third guaranteed. That isnt what Edwards wants.

To get the money he wants he has to put up numbers like he did in 2007. That would never happen in NY because of his role on the team. So he went out and found anyone willing to give him a short term deal that might throw the ball alot and allow him to pad his statistics. It also pays to hold off on free agency until 2012 because they knew Fitzgerald would reset the market. That deal alone will see even the number 2 player salaries rise starting in 2012. Braylons never done anything as bad as other players in the NFL to warrant no interest. No interest comes from a high price tag with nothing to back up the price tag request and an agent that will make a circus out of the situation if Edwards were to ever reach those 2007 numbers again.

So we have Plex for a year or two maybe, who is the next big target that can stretch the field either coming on to the free agent market on in the draft next year?

There seems to be a few talented WRs that may be available through free agency next season:

Dwayne Bowe

Marques Colston

Those guys probably top my list. I believe Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garçon are as well. I'm sure there are others that I'm not sure about.

I don't know if Colston would leave the saints but Bowe would bolt from KC. I would love to see Colston opposite Holmes for the next few years.

I loved the set up we had, 2 young in there prime recievers for a young Mark Sanchez to throw to. I sort of felt bad for Edwards though, he came out and said he would take a hometown discount to stay with new york, Holmes said he was going where the money was. With signing Plax and Mason all we did was buy cheap rentals that will need to be replaced in another year.

But i dont understand why Braylon went to San Fran, he's not making money and he's not playing for a competitor. (2.1 million makes me smack my head against the wall). He should of just swallowed his pride, been a number 2 on the jets made at least 3 million and had another shot at a super bowl.

I honestly think his off the field issues had little to do with it. I think it has everything to do with he and his agent looking back at being the number 3 pick in the NFL draft back in 2005 and thinking it means something in 2011. David Carr is a former number 1 draft pick. He gets paid to be a backup. Im a Braylon fan but they think hes a number 1. We liked to say he was a 1. But the numbers say he isnt a 1. They want to point to numbers he put up back in 2007 which is totally irrelevant to a contract signed in 2011. Hes a good number 2. Number 2 receivers dont get 5 year 40 million dollar deals, with half of it guaranteed. They get 4 year 20-25 million dollar deals with maybe a third guaranteed. That isnt what Edwards wants.

To get the money he wants he has to put up numbers like he did in 2007. That would never happen in NY because of his role on the team. So he went out and found anyone willing to give him a short term deal that might throw the ball alot and allow him to pad his statistics. It also pays to hold off on free agency until 2012 because they knew Fitzgerald would reset the market. That deal alone will see even the number 2 player salaries rise starting in 2012. Braylons never done anything as bad as other players in the NFL to warrant no interest. No interest comes from a high price tag with nothing to back up the price tag request and an agent that will make a circus out of the situation if Edwards were to ever reach those 2007 numbers again.

I always love your insight, Jason, but I think you're wrong on this one. I definitely believe his extra-curricular activities landed him his current deal. If it was just a money issue, he should've been able to get a Plax-like $3M guaranteed - at least. And gotten such offers from teams that would've been a better situation for him to cash in the following year. Plax had a number of suitors, but none of them were interested in Braylon at a similar number? Why not?

He had one offer: $1M to spend the year with Alex Smith. That's about as bad as it gets.

I always love your insight, Jason, but I think you're wrong on this one. I definitely believe his extra-curricular activities landed him his current deal. If it was just a money issue, he should've been able to get a Plax-like $3M guaranteed - at least. And gotten such offers from teams that would've been a better situation for him to cash in the following year. Plax had a number of suitors, but none of them were interested in Braylon at a similar number? Why not?

He had one offer: $1M to spend the year with Alex Smith. That's about as bad as it gets.

Burress is a better player than Edwards. Hes a legit number 1 talent and that intrigues people even with the off the field problems and age. I also do not think that there are many teams that are interested in just a 1 year investment in a player unless its someone that can put you over the top. Edwards isnt going to put you over the top. The teams that were supposedly interested in Braylon- Miami, Arizona and Minnesota are the two that come to mind-- were definitely looking to sign a player for 3 or 4 years. The Vikes ended up going for around 3M a year with 2M guaranteed to Jenkins. The Cards I think split the resources between Tood Heap and Chansi Stuckey on low cost 2 year deals. There is no way that a guy thinking he deserves 7+ million a year is going to give up his freedom in a 3 year 15M deal with 4M in guarantees.

Im sure the off the field stuff plays somewhat into it because he doesnt have the stats for teams to put up with the nonsense that guys lie Randy Moss, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Terrell Owens, Brandon Marshall, etc....have put teams through and prior to the Jets he was generally regarded as a bad teammate. But, other than Mangini's time with NY and Cleveland, I cant think of too many teams who are completely moving away from players due to off the field issues.

Nobody gives a f what u want. I love how Jets fans are quick to vilify the guy when we gave a pothead 1 strike away from a year long suspension 50 million and we signed a dude fresh out of prison for guaranteed cash. Oh you guys are choosy about your thugturds arent you? None of you idiots gave a f-ck when Braylon was catching touchdowns in the playoffs. Now that he's on another team its thugturd this and douchebag that. GTFOH

DLJ the basic difference is Santonio and Plax screwed up BEFORE they where Jets and this makes it easier to give them the benefit of the doubt. Braylon continues to digress off field and faces a possible suspension this year. Braylon has no one to blame but Braylon. I hope he gets his act together and gets a big contract one day. Liked him as a Jet. Please refrain from calling people idiots.

Yeah someone still has to justify to me how is Santonio worth FIVE times as much as Braylon. That's just stupid. I recognize that it was a 1 year deal with San Fran, but still...

Pretty simple. 1 is a top 10 talent, the other is some where between 20-30.

Burress is a better player than Edwards. Hes a legit number 1 talent and that intrigues people even with the off the field problems and age. I also do not think that there are many teams that are interested in just a 1 year investment in a player unless its someone that can put you over the top.

Game over, end of story.

It really doesnt matter what reason you think Braylon is San Fran or why he signed for short cash. The bottome line is, the NY Jets think Plaxico is an upgarde. And how can you blame them? Even if they get 90% of what Plax used to be - that is considerably better than Edwards. Plax is a legitimate #1 WR. A top 10 at his position when he was playing. The Jets potentially have 2 top 10 WR's on their roster.

At the end of the day, the Jets have Plaxico and not Edwards because they are trying to improve their sh*tty pass attack. They believe Plax is an upgrade over Braylon. I applaude the Jets for making move likes this. You know what sh*tty teams do? Settle and stay put on their old players who arent improving the team. You know what good teams do? Go get players they believe will make them better. That is what the Jets did. As much as everyone loved Braylon, our passing attack still sucked, he was highly inconsistent (eventhough he made some clutch plays) and from 09-10, the Jets offense improved by 1 TD.

This whole debate was simple. Homles is a much much better player than Braylon, Mark clearly favored him as does the organization. Therefore Holmes is the future. The NY Jets believe Plax is an upgrade over Edwards and is the better value on a 1 year contract. End of story.

There seems to be a few talented WRs that may be available through free agency next season:

Dwayne Bowe

Marques Colston

Those guys probably top my list. I believe Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garçon are as well. I'm sure there are others that I'm not sure about.

I don't know if Colston would leave the saints but Bowe would bolt from KC. I would love to see Colston opposite Holmes for the next few years.

Thats a pretty putrid list outside of Bowe. Colston has had, what, 5 knee surgeries or something? When's the last time he's play a full season? Garcon drops more balls than TO. No way. And Wayne and is on the downside of his career who might have a couple of good years left.

http://bayarea.sbnat...i-no-suspension

by Avinash Kunnath

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Braylon Edwards will be playing an entire full season, and the entire Bay Area can now rest easy.

The NFL has let the 49ers know that Edwards will not be suspended for his driving-while-intoxicated incident last September as a New York Jet, Mindi Bach and Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area report. The league considers the manner closed.

Obviously this case has taken a long time and has left the Niners twisting in the windover whether if the wide receiver would or would not be cleared for the start of the season. The Niners would probably point at the quick resolution of similar incidents from Kenny Brittand Aqib Talib as evidence of a double standard, but Britt and Talib committed acts that occurred when the CBA was not in effect. Edwards's infraction occurred during the season when the personal conduct policy was still in effect.

In terms of football, the 49ers now have two quality receivers to line up for Alex Smith to throw footballs to, as Edwards (currently listed as co-starter with Ted Ginn) and Josh Morgan should team up with Vernon Davis to provide a decent starting lineup. If Michael Crabtree could get healthy, the Niners could finally have an effective and versatile offense that could get their team places in the moribund NFC West.

http://bayarea.sbnat...i-no-suspension

by Avinash Kunnath

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Braylon Edwards will be playing an entire full season, and the entire Bay Area can now rest easy.

The NFL has let the 49ers know that Edwards will not be suspended for his driving-while-intoxicated incident last September as a New York Jet, Mindi Bach and Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area report. The league considers the manner closed.

Obviously this case has taken a long time and has left the Niners twisting in the windover whether if the wide receiver would or would not be cleared for the start of the season. The Niners would probably point at the quick resolution of similar incidents from Kenny Brittand Aqib Talib as evidence of a double standard, but Britt and Talib committed acts that occurred when the CBA was not in effect. Edwards's infraction occurred during the season when the personal conduct policy was still in effect.

In terms of football, the 49ers now have two quality receivers to line up for Alex Smith to throw footballs to, as Edwards (currently listed as co-starter with Ted Ginn) and Josh Morgan should team up with Vernon Davis to provide a decent starting lineup. If Michael Crabtree could get healthy, the Niners could finally have an effective and versatile offense that could get their team places in the moribund NFC West.

Another excuse bites the dust!

The Jets are going to be paying to replace Burress and/or Mason next year. Oh well.

Another excuse bites the dust!

It's not the fact that he was facing suspension that scared off most teams, its the fact that Braylon has gotten in trouble, not once, but TWICE since his run in with Lebrons buddy. As I said before, the guy is one of the most gifted athletes in the league and has all the potential in the world to be one of the top receivers in the league, however, he has consistently shown that he can't be trusted to keep his nose clean and that has hurt his market drastically.

Pretty simple. 1 is a top 10 talent, the other is some where between 20-30.

What are you baseing this on ? Santonio and Braylon both had 1 good year where we could say yeah they are top ten, the rest of the years both guys had were all below 1000 yards and 5 TD's . If the Jets wanted Braylon to walk thats fine Its their choice to make, but Santonio Holmes is NOT a top ten WR . He has the talent to be one but so far in his career he has lacked the consistency to be considered a top 10. Since hes the one the Jets picked to sign I hope to God he Lives up to the top 10 Billing since he was paid top 5 money which I think was totally ridiculous. At best Santonio should have been in the 8 mil range, At Best ! I do think Santonio has turned his life off the field around while Braylon has become worse. Hopefully this ordeal has taught Braylon a lesson in not being an Idiot.

What are you baseing this on ? Santonio and Braylon both had 1 good year where we could say yeah they are top ten, the rest of the years both guys had were all below 1000 yards and 5 TD's . If the Jets wanted Braylon to walk thats fine Its their choice to make, but Santonio Holmes is NOT a top ten WR . He has the talent to be one but so far in his career he has lacked the consistency to be considered a top 10. Since hes the one the Jets picked to sign I hope to God he Lives up to the top 10 Billing since he was paid top 5 money which I think was totally ridiculous. At best Santonio should have been in the 8 mil range, At Best ! I do think Santonio has turned his life off the field around while Braylon has become worse. Hopefully this ordeal has taught Braylon a lesson in not being an Idiot.

This is true. He can probably make top 10 if Sanchez steps up and the offense gets more open. I really don't understand why you'd pair a great defense with a conservative offense. The Jets D forces the most 3 and outs in the league, while the Jets O I believe is very high on the 3 and out list as well.

So just go for broke. Your defense will bail you out but the defense will be far better off if you give them a few big leads here and there instead of asking them to carry you 20 games a year. Instead, try playing 19 games and the defense only needs to carry on say 10. The Jets D seems to be worn out by the end of the season and especially the AFCC game every year.

My question is...

Where is the outrage for him getting off? When this first occurred, everyone and their mother was up in arms over it. The media was all over it, demanding he get suspended right then and there. Now he gets off with a slap on the wrist and...nothing out of our wonderful NY media. Double standard indeed.

Holmes is a top 10 talent. I'm surprised someone who watches as much tape on every player in the league doesnt see it when you study Holmes. He's pretty much unstoppable. I'm not concerned with his numbers, you can flip it and make cases for guys like Wes Welker to be better than him because he catches 100 balls and 1000 yards every year but that doesnt make him a better receiver...its a system. And unfortunately for Holmes, he's played in run first systems with 2 young QBs. The year he broke out, was the same year that the Steelers took the riegns off Big Ben. Consequently, Holmes was a beast.

Its easy to see that nobody can guard Holmes 1 on 1. The skinny post is literally impossible to stop 1 on 1, beauty of that is, Mark throws that pass better than any.

And I know you know the market better than any GM, especially the Jets, and truly understand the value of a player in the NFL, but what do you care how much the Jets paid? Does it hurt your wallet? I for one, see investing in a threat like that to pair with Mark for the future is very wise investment and doesnt hurt my wallet at all...so I'm stoked to see these 2 hopefully become one of the best duo's in the league, pending Mark Sanchez doesnt continue to suck.

Archived