Could THIS Be The Reason We Didn't Try For Braylon?

SoFlaJets

By his spouse. That happens in like 95% of the cases. But does not mean it was not an assault.

And the argument that the JETS made sure it was a non-issue. How could they know that with 100% confidence unless they rigged his bedroom. See how absurd that is.

I see how absurd you are.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By his spouse. That happens in like 95% of the cases. But does not mean it was not an assault.

And the argument that the JETS made sure it was a non-issue. How could they know that with 100% confidence unless they rigged his bedroom. See how absurd that is.

This is quite possibly the single most idiotic rebuttal I have ever seen in my life. No ******* way you meant this seriously.

Knowing that you were somehow trying to deconstruct a non-existent fallacy makes it even worse.

I was trying to be polite instead of calling what it is, plain and pure BS!

If you find it non-existent fallacy than so be it. Or it could just be you now want to pretend its non existent. Whichever does not make a difference.

...and the Jets know MORE about what kind of teammate he was, what kind of person and any behind the scenes trouble than any other team and they didn't make him much of an offer.

I just edited out my usual diatribe about Edwards, but the Jets FO has built this allegedly Super Bowl ready team. If they don't want the guy that's enough for me until proven otherwise. It's not like they didn't address the position. Personally, I think Burress and Mason are better than Cotch and Edwards. Reasonable people might think otherwise, but it's certainly up for discussion. Since Tannenbaum took over there is only one year where the team was not better than the year before. That buys them a sh*tload of credibility in my book.

I appreciate the reasoned tone. But its like we are going in circles all over again.

If the JETS were so concerned with all of that why would they have wanted to sign him. All along the question was about price with Rex Ryan saying that he wanted to sign him for the right price.

Personally i would like to see Santonio, Plax, Braylon all on the same team. The JETS could have signed all three. But they muffed it up.

You are correct that Tanny has done a very good job so far in all these years. But at the same time nobodies beyond reproach. I feel most people just think criticizing the JETS F.O is out of question no matter what they do.

I appreciate the reasoned tone. But its like we are going in circles all over again.

If the JETS were so concerned with all of that why would they have wanted to sign him. All along the question was about price with Rex Ryan saying that he wanted to sign him for the right price.

Personally i would like to see Santonio, Plax, Braylon all on the same team. The JETS could have signed all three. But they muffed it up.

You are correct that Tanny has done a very good job so far in all these years. But at the same time nobodies beyond reproach. I feel most people just think criticizing the JETS F.O is out of question no matter what they do.

Lip service.

If the problem was money, they obviously could've afforded the measly contract he signed with San Francisco. They didn't want to resign him, simple as that. Thirty other NFL teams thought he wasn't worth more than a league minimum deal, either - if that. This isn't about being unwilling to criticize the front office. This is about accepting the reality that Braylon's damaged goods. However much you may like him, or however common DWI's and assault convictions are amongst you and your buddies, the entire league -not just the Jets front office- came to the same conclusion that Braylon's not worth a big deal at this time.

Lip service.

If the problem was money, they obviously could've afforded the measly contract he signed with San Francisco. They didn't want to resign him, simple as that. Thirty other NFL teams thought he wasn't worth more than a league minimum deal, either - if that. This isn't about being unwilling to criticize the front office. This is about accepting the reality that Braylon's damaged goods. However much you may like him, or however common DWI's and assault convictions are amongst you and your buddies, the entire league -not just the Jets front office- came to the same conclusion that Braylon's not worth a big deal at this time.

I think they would probably have signed him instead of Mason, but NOT instead of Burress. I think they did the sam thing with Ellis. They made him an offer, but I'm not so sure they actually wanted him back.

I think they would probably have signed him instead of Mason, but NOT instead of Burress. I think they did the sam thing with Ellis. They made him an offer, but I'm not so sure they actually wanted him back.

I don't know. I think Rex really likes Mason. He knows him from Baltimore, knows what kind of person and receiver he is. He's also a guy who can play the slot and backup the starting job - which Braylon couldn't do. I get the feeling they just moved on, and moved on early. There was talk about that during the lockout, that Sanchez had some knowledge he shared with Edwards about him not being in the Jets plans.

Lip service.

How do you say it was lip service.

Yes they could have afforded his contract at a measly salary. But they did not even try. Thats just an opportunity lost.

Nobody can deny our offense would be more potent right now with Braylon in the mix.

:face:

You really come off silly with the constant face palms.

Slats has made it clear he doesn't feel the Jets wanted Edwards back. Hence the lip service comment. They could afford him, so Slats has a point whether you admit it or not. Your stance appears to be that the Jets knew Edwards game and backstory better than anybody so they should have signed him, but IMO that is more likely the reason they don't want him back. Jason seems to think that Edwards and his agent painted him into a corner demanding more than he could get and were willing to wait it out and try for big money again next year, perhaps banking on a bigger cap and comparisons to Fitzgerald's monster deal.

We may never know for sure, but Slats was consistent. He doesn't think the Jets wanted Edwards back at any price - at least not when they have decent options already on roster. I tend to think they might have taken him back cheap, but Edwards ego and agent wouldn't go for that and they may be happier with Mason who is better suited to all spots and won't end up a straight back up to Burress or necessitate moving Holmes to the slot.

So in your eyes the Jets who have 3 new receivers with limited time getting in sync with their QB is the same as teams who have brought back the same skill players as last year and are familar with the offense and their QB ?

Like Holmes, Keller, LT and Greene? I can name at least 20 teams that we're better off than right now. I know the shortened preseason hurt, but it hurt tons of teams in plenty of other ways. Sure we have a rookie and 2 other new veteran receivers, but our best guy is still here along with Keller and both know the system well.

No its not even close and trust me my understanding is not off. Sanchez has had about 2 weeks to work with Plax and much shorter to work with Mason . The way the situation is now it will take much longer for these guys to get in sync. Adding one WR is understandable but of the 4 we have on the roster Sanchez has experience working with 1 the other three are new to him and the system and one is an unproven rookie . But hey nothing at all to worry about here Like I said we are Immune to Age and timing and every other issue players run into with limited practice time with a new team. We are the NY JETS.
It's not like Plax and Mason are new to the league. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to adapt. We brought in seasoned veterans for a reason. We couldn't have kept Edwards, regardless, so considering the money they had to work with they did pretty well and like I said, Holmes, Keller, LT and Greene know the system and can catch the ball (even though Greene is better off running).

Whats beyond retarded is totally ignoring whats staring you right in the face. Common knowledge in the NFL type situations that you choose to just ignore while making your arguement. Dont call peoples opinions beyond retarded until you get a better understanding of whats been going on in the NFL for years. The odds are not in our favor that a 34 and 38 year old WR tandem will make it through the playoffs in this league yes it does happen in rare cases but that just enhances the fact that the odds are aganist it . Thats not even mentioning the fatc that Plax has been in Jail for 2 years and has not played the game unless you consider 2 hand touch on the jail grounds getting ready for the NFL or his 40 minutes of exercise or WTF ever it is.

I call a cat a cat and a dog a dog. A retarded uniformed opinion is a retarded uninformed opinion. Calling Holmes an underachiever considering his accomplishments is beyond absurd and saying that Plax and Mason are has beens is only partially accurate. Mason had a decent season last year as a #2 / #3 receiver (better than our #3 last year) and Plax is a question mark. A question mark that could very easily end up turning into a dollar sign if he plays decently. We brought in Mason to help Sanchez, as a #3. Obviously his best days are behind him, but if you think he can't still catch the ball and make plays, you've got another thing coming. You are ignoring the fact that SANCHEZ is more important to our passing game than any of those guys. SANCHEZ. You know, the guy who organized Jet West camp and practiced during the lockout. Yeah, that guy. Yes it can help to keep the same guys and build chemistry, but keeping Edwards around wasn't realistic and Cotch wanted to leave. We didn't have much of a choice.

Im glad your hopeful and have a positive outlook... once the season starts I will not address this situation again because i will be rooting hard for Plax Mason Santonio and every other freakin Jet. But Im not stupid either. Even if they light it up there is still a chance they can wear down at the end of the season..... then what ?? practice Squad players for the playoff run ? Im also not into "I told Ya So's" thats not how I roll if it happens I will be just as upset as anyone on this site and I wont bring it up. Lets hope all goes well.

Yeah, I hear ya. I care only about winning. I just feel that being angry at the situation isn't going to change anything. It is what it is. It could have been what it could have been. Doesn't matter. I do feel that Sanchez is going to make the necessary improvements this year to bring him up near elite status. If that happens we could have Joe the plumber as a wide out and be fine.

You really come off silly with the constant face palms.

Slats has made it clear he doesn't feel the Jets wanted Edwards back. Hence the lip service comment. They could afford him, so Slats has a point whether you admit it or not. Your stance appears to be that the Jets knew Edwards game and backstory better than anybody so they should have signed him, but IMO that is more likely the reason they don't want him back. Jason seems to think that Edwards and his agent painted him into a corner demanding more than he could get and were willing to wait it out and try for big money again next year, perhaps banking on a bigger cap and comparisons to Fitzgerald's monster deal.

We may never know for sure, but Slats was consistent. He doesn't think the Jets wanted Edwards back at any price - at least not when they have decent options already on roster. I tend to think they might have taken him back cheap, but Edwards ego and agent wouldn't go for that and they may be happier with Mason who is better suited to all spots and won't end up a straight back up to Burress or necessitate moving Holmes to the slot.

My point being, thats where they dropped the ball!

IMO JETS wanted him. And at some point they stopped the pursuit because they thought they could not have him beyond a certain price. And he went and signed with someone else for a super bargain price. If the FO had not given up they could have signed him for a similar deal!

And just because someone is consistently wrong does not make it right! There is absolutely no proof to JETS indulging in lip service.

IMO JETS wanted him. And at some point they stopped the pursuit because they thought they could not have him beyond a certain price. And he went and signed with someone else for a super bargain price. If the FO had not given up they could have signed him for a similar deal!

And just because someone is consistently wrong does not make it right! There is absolutely no proof to JETS indulging in lip service.

For someone looking for definitive proof about a lot of mundane things in this thread, that's a pretty huge assumption.

It also happens to go against the fact that the Jets didn't sign him. They really seem to do their due diligence the vast majority of the time, why would they make the mistake of letting their starting WR walk away for a little more than the vet minimum if they really wanted him back?

No, it was completely on purpose that they didn't sign him. Just like the other 30 teams who didn't think he was worth $1M for one year, either. This is a guy they don't want around the team. I think that DUI was a big deal, in particular. Not just that he got caught drinking and driving, but that he got busted with choir boy and pro bowl LT D'Brick in the car with him. That's some seriously negative peer activity that the Jets don't need. The bar fight/one car accident this summer just confirmed for everyone in the league except for the 49ers that Braylon is incapable of learning from his own mistakes.

Your point being that you have an opinion. It' s not a fact. For some reason you want everybody to accept your opinion and you degrade those of us that think differently. All of this despite that fact that the Jets and every other FO doesn't seem to share your view of Edwards. There is no proof the Jets indulged in lip service? Well there is a hell of a lot less proof that they were interested in keeping him.

FWIW, Slats and I disagree about a great deal of this. I tend to think teams think a lot less of Edwards as a WR than he does and I put less stock in the bad apple theory. OTOH, if he were a good apple he'd have gotten a better deal anyway. I tend to think the Jets might have accepted him back at a low enough price point. I don't think they are upset about losing him and they are just as happy with Mason.

Rex said that he'd like to have Braylon back for the right price, but Braylon got offended because he wasn't offered a Holmes caliber deal and signed with whoever he could. Jets would have resigned him for 3 mil in a heartbeat given the opportunity. Edwards just wasn't willing to make it happen. We'll see what lies ahead.

FWIW, Slats and I disagree about a great deal of this. I tend to think teams think a lot less of Edwards as a WR than he does and I put less stock in the bad apple theory. OTOH, if he were a good apple he'd have gotten a better deal anyway. I tend to think the Jets might have accepted him back at a low enough price point. I don't think they are upset about losing him and they are just as happy with Mason.

He's performed on the field at a level higher than $1M for one year. He should've been able to get a deal like Plaxico's at a minimum, IMHO, if he didn't have the baggage. He's not great, but he's still very good.

Rex said that he'd like to have Braylon back for the right price, but Braylon got offended because he wasn't offered a Holmes caliber deal and signed with whoever he could. Jets would have resigned him for 3 mil in a heartbeat given the opportunity. Edwards just wasn't willing to make it happen. We'll see what lies ahead.

There's no way Braylon lets his ego get in the way of tripling his take this year. The contract he signed caused more ego damage than putting his tail between his legs for the Jets would've. Chansi Stuckey signed a better FA contract. The Jets could've signed him for $3M, and chose not to - for whatever reason.

Not only that, but they gave his # away to Plax. That sealed the deal. i think they still could have signed all 3 of them if they had held off with the #

For someone looking for definitive proof about a lot of mundane things in this thread, that's a pretty huge assumption.

It also happens to go against the fact that the Jets didn't sign him. They really seem to do their due diligence the vast majority of the time, why would they make the mistake of letting their starting WR walk away for a little more than the vet minimum if they really wanted him back?

No, it was completely on purpose that they didn't sign him. Just like the other 30 teams who didn't think he was worth $1M for one year, either. This is a guy they don't want around the team. I think that DUI was a big deal, in particular. Not just that he got caught drinking and driving, but that he got busted with choir boy and pro bowl LT D'Brick in the car with him. That's some seriously negative peer activity that the Jets don't need. The bar fight/one car accident this summer just confirmed for everyone in the league except for the 49ers that Braylon is incapable of learning from his own mistakes.

Aren't we all dealing in assumptions here. Lip service ?

I think we are going around in circles. At the end of the day all 3 guys Tone, Plax and Braylon have had off field issues. But everybody acts like the other 2 are untouchable and this one guy is the worst of thugturds out there.

All we want them to be productive on the football field for the team we follow and not invite them to our house for dinner!

Your point being that you have an opinion. It' s not a fact. For some reason you want everybody to accept your opinion and you degrade those of us that think differently. All of this despite that fact that the Jets and every other FO doesn't seem to share your view of Edwards. There is no proof the Jets indulged in lip service? Well there is a hell of a lot less proof that they were interested in keeping him.

IIRC i already clarified this in another thread where we started talking about this.

I think the JETS would have wanted him for that price tag but they gave up on negotiating with Braylon , didn't have the lines of communication open (and it could be ego that prevented them) and ended up losing on a serious bargain!

Whether they are upset or not we cannot say and once they sign a player (say mason) they are not going to go around saying ahh it was a mistake.

My problem here is we have two 34 plus receivers and the chances of players staying on the field for an entire season and post season have been less that stellar. And we could have had a much more solid WR corps on the field if only the JETS FO had not fumbled the chance.

IIRC i already clarified this in another thread where we started talking about this.

I think the JETS would have wanted him for that price tag but they gave up on negotiating with Braylon , didn't have the lines of communication open (and it could be ego that prevented them) and ended up losing on a serious bargain!

Whether they are upset or not we cannot say and once they sign a player (say mason) they are not going to go around saying ahh it was a mistake.

My problem here is we have two 34 plus receivers and the chances of players staying on the field for an entire season and post season have been less that stellar. And we could have had a much more solid WR corps on the field if only the JETS FO had not fumbled the chance.

The only problem is that we disagree. I have no problem with having two 34+ year old WRs and I'm glad to have them on 1 year deals so that we have more flexibility next offseason. I think we have upgraded at the position. The fact is, we won't know until after the playoffs, but you seem to want to say I told you so before there is anything to tell us. You could be right, Slats could be right, I could be right. We can't all be right, but we won't know for months, so it's kind of senseless. More than that, even if I am wrong and the old timers get hurt and Edwards has a great year I still can't see killing to FO over doing the same as everybody else.

I dont believe that the Jets were ever presented with an option like what Braylon signed for. I think they were more or less told you know what you have so pay him and the Jets said no. Edwards took a calculated gamble with the deal he signed with the 49ers.

I dont believe that the Jets were ever presented with an option like what Braylon signed for. I think they were more or less told you know what you have so pay him and the Jets said no. Edwards took a calculated gamble with the deal he signed with the 49ers.

The deal he signed -basically a $1M/1yr deal with no chance of hitting the incentives- is what makes me think this guy has been essentially blackballed by the entire league. Maybe the Jets did the blackballing, I don't know, but I do know that on the field, Braylon should've been worth at least the deal that Plaxico signed here. And he should've had multiple suitors.

And being that I have that belief about his football ability, I feel the problem is his cumulative off field issues.

Archived