Could THIS Be The Reason We Didn't Try For Braylon?

SoFlaJets

The only problem is that we disagree. I have no problem with having two 34+ year old WRs and I'm glad to have them on 1 year deals so that we have more flexibility next offseason. I think we have upgraded at the position. The fact is, we won't know until after the playoffs, but you seem to want to say I told you so before there is anything to tell us. You could be right, Slats could be right, I could be right. We can't all be right, but we won't know for months, so it's kind of senseless. More than that, even if I am wrong and the old timers get hurt and Edwards has a great year I still can't see killing to FO over doing the same as everybody else.

I hope i am not right on this one. Because if I am it would not be a good thing for the team. You are correct that it is something we cannot know now. But age is such a huge factor in the NFL. The people who have been productive past a certain age are more of an exception to the rule (like Jerry Rice).

Thats where we disagree. Its the FO's job to get it right even if the rest of the league is outright wrong and specially when it comes to one of our free agents. And to me there is a separation between JETS FO and JETS team. Always root for the team but if the FO is wrong then there should be no problem criticizing them!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont believe that the Jets were ever presented with an option like what Braylon signed for. I think they were more or less told you know what you have so pay him and the Jets said no. Edwards took a calculated gamble with the deal he signed with the 49ers.

The deal that Edwards signed is a 1 million dollar deal. The escalators in the deal are pretty steep. Not impossible to accomplish but very difficult considering Alex Smith will start the season for the 49ers.

And thats where the JETS FO committed a serious mistake. Nobody would come to you and say hey i am signing for a bargain price with another team do you want that bargain. The JETS FO should have kept the lines of communication open.

The deal that Edwards signed is a 1 million dollar deal. The escalators in the deal are pretty steep. Not impossible to accomplish but very difficult considering Alex Smith will start the season for the 49ers.

And thats where the JETS FO committed a serious mistake. Nobody would come to you and say hey i am signing for a bargain price with another team do you want that bargain. The JETS FO should have kept the lines of communication open.

Right, but we are talking about things we don't know. The Jets may very well have kept the lines of communication open and Braylon and his agent may have ignored them. It's a two way street. Just like we don't know that Braylon hasn't been blackballed for his drinking/off the field stuff. It's still possible. One place where I think we can say "I told you so" is that Holmes is obviously considered a better WR than Edwards. At least by the Jets.

Its actually a 1.6M dollar deal with 500K in incentives, that are essentially earned by playing at the same statistical level he did last year. I have no idea how all those rumors got started about the high level incentives in the deal, but they arent there. I cant complain about the Jets not keeping the lines open. When they say we want you for 5M a year (and thats just a guess number) and his agent keeps coming back with 8M its so far away that you break negotiations. Thats a difference that cant be made up.

Its actually a 1.6M dollar deal with 500K in incentives, that are essentially earned by playing at the same statistical level he did last year. I have no idea how all those rumors got started about the high level incentives in the deal, but they arent there. I cant complain about the Jets not keeping the lines open. When they say we want you for 5M a year (and thats just a guess number) and his agent keeps coming back with 8M its so far away that you break negotiations. Thats a difference that cant be made up.

Not that I doubt your information, but I haven't seen anything quoting $1.6M + 500k. Everything I have seen says $1M non-guaranteed with $2.5M bonus for catching 90 balls and making the pro bowl. If it's only a rumor you can start by blaming LaCanfora, but it's been repeated endlessly and I haven't seen it contradicted anywhere. Not to say you aren't right and they aren't wrong. They all seem to be quoting the same tweets from August 5.

http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/99507281967845376

http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/8/5/2346401/braylon-edwards-contract-details-requires-base-salary-incentives

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/braylon-edwards/

Archived