Cowboys Website - Excellent Breakdown of Jets Defense

lamont_jordan_rules

Good reads.

The writer uses the Jets-Bears game as a recipe for beating the Jets' dee, but the Jets scaled way back on their blitzing since that game. They went to much more controlled blitzes and more zone coverage in the secondary in the playoffs. I think that'll be more like the defense you'll see from them this year. A healthy Pace and improved athleticism on the DL will reduce the need for all out blitzes even further.

I wish our OC had the same philosophy. When you find something that works keep doing it until your opponent finds a way to stop you. This principle has been drilled into my head in every single competitive endeavor I've ever engaged in. I'm stunned that Schitty doesn't follow this, especially on a team where the HC so obviously does, at least on defense.

Sure you need to mix things up too, obviously Ryan is only using that blitz 6 times rather 40 times, but the idea does hold true nonetheless.

Good reads.

The writer uses the Jets-Bears game as a recipe for beating the Jets' dee, but the Jets scaled way back on their blitzing since that game. They went to much more controlled blitzes and more zone coverage in the secondary in the playoffs. I think that'll be more like the defense you'll see from them this year. A healthy Pace and improved athleticism on the DL will reduce the need for all out blitzes even further.

Very true, and beyond that I think Rex has shown he's by no way married to a single way of doing things. He's more than happy to change things week to week or even over the course of the game when something isn't working. The Jets D is very game plan specific. Not to mention it's kind of taking things a tad to the extreme to single out the Ds single worst performance of the season as the indicator of how they can be beat. The Jets shut down much better offenses than the Bears multiple times last year who tried to pull the same stuff.

Besides, that Bears game was like it was being played by the Jets players' evil twins. The D couldn't make a stop to save it's life and the O was completely tearing it up. Literally the only loss of the season until the AFC Championship that wasn't entirely on the O.

I wish our OC had the same philosophy. When you find something that works keep doing it until your opponent finds a way to stop you. This principle has been drilled into my head in every single competitive endeavor I've ever engaged in. I'm stunned that Schitty doesn't follow this, especially on a team where the HC so obviously does, at least on defense.

Sure you need to mix things up too, obviously Ryan is only using that blitz 6 times rather 40 times, but the idea does hold true nonetheless.

Don't be silly, everyone knows when your QB is in a good rhythm you pull him off the field to put a WR under center.

the defense is fully healthy and ready to rock. they are going to show the dallas D how to run a ryan defense. rex/mike showed a LOT in the playoffs, specifically that his is willing to to what he has to do rather than what he likes to do to win.

little jimmy makes a huge difference, and a healthy pace measn trouble for homo

jets will shut them out

If Pace's off year was injury related, the Jets defense is going to be in really good shape. I think they will be fine either way but he could take it to another level if he adds 10 sacks! Yeah I am dreaming big.

It's not as crazy of an idea as you'd think. In Rex's first year, Pace lead the team with 8 sacks in 12 games (due to his suspension). Last year he put up 5.5 in 12 games and then added another 3 sacks in 3 games in the playoffs. Certainly not all star numbers, but if the guy can stay healthy and play 16 games, they suggest he's capable of a 10 sack season.

Good reads.

Plus the field conditions were terrible in the Bears game.

Very true, and beyond that I think Rex has shown he's by no way married to a single way of doing things. He's more than happy to change things week to week or even over the course of the game when something isn't working. The Jets D is very game plan specific. Not to mention it's kind of taking things a tad to the extreme to single out the Ds single worst performance of the season as the indicator of how they can be beat. The Jets shut down much better offenses than the Bears multiple times last year who tried to pull the same stuff.

Besides, that Bears game was like it was being played by the Jets players' evil twins. The D couldn't make a stop to save it's life and the O was completely tearing it up. Literally the only loss of the season until the AFC Championship that wasn't entirely on the O.

I don't think that I would put that Pats debacle solely on the offense. They both blew donkeys that day. I'm glad that game was on at 3 a.m. Italian time so that I could sleep through most of it and ignore the replays.

the defense is fully healthy and ready to rock. they are going to show the dallas D how to run a ryan defense. rex/mike showed a LOT in the playoffs, specifically that his is willing to to what he has to do rather than what he likes to do to win.

little jimmy makes a huge difference, and a healthy pace measn trouble for homo

jets will shut them out

I agree about Leonhard. The D took some time getting used to having somebody else make the secondary calls. IIRC the Bears game was still a mess. One other thing you will notice is that in his analysis the player getting blown up during the run is Taylor. The player chasing Forte and flaying his arms at the wheel route is Taylor. Taylor was supposed to be the pass rusher but he spent too much time as regular OLB and it hurt.

FWIW, I think McIntyre is a better pass rusher than Westerman. We'll see who they use. I'm a Rutgers guy so I'd love to be wrong but I'm not holding my breath. I still think they might bring Maybin back.

I don't think that I would put that Pats debacle solely on the offense. They both blew donkeys that day. I'm glad that game was on at 3 a.m. Italian time so that I could sleep through most of it and ignore the replays.

Fair enough, but the Pats game was one of those games where the D sucked, but it didn't matter because even if they didn't suck that night the offense was so pathetically inept it wouldn't have made a difference. The game plan was moronic and the performances even worse. Maybe it would be more fair to say that the Bears game is the only loss of the year you could blame pretty much entirely on the D.

Archived