Scripted plays

Joe Jets fan

Every teams starts the game with like 10 to 15 scripted plays, Rex should take Shotty's script away just before the game starts and make him call plays on the fly. We have not scored a TD from that script in almost 12 months.

I just want a early lead then pound the hell out of the ball setting up the play action. Is this too hard of a concept for sh*tty to understand???

I have a scripted play for you. Picture this. It's the fourth quarter. We're behind multiple scores. We just got the ball back at the 20. First down is an incomplete pass per usual leaving us facing second and ten. What you do here is run LITERALLY ANYTHING IN THE ENTIRE GODDAMNED PLAYBOOK EXCEPT A ******* DRAW. This isn't even a Schottenheimer thing. It's like we have an organizational commitment to this nonsense going back through Hackett and Parcells.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish, and before the games are said and done with, Sanchez and our entire Jets offense gets going. We've made it to the AFC Championship with Shotty Jr calling plays during consecutive seasons; so it's obvious he's doing something right.

In 2009, Sanchez was a rookie. Shotty Jr called for the fewest pass plays of any team in the league. The Jets ended up leading the league in rushing and setting a franchise record for most rushing yards during a single season. That's what you call protecting a raw rookie QB with only 1 season of college starting experience. Shotty Jr knew enough to protect Sanchez with the run game and offensive line. We made it to the AFC Championship game with a great O-Line, great rushing attack and great defense. Shotty Jr called for the running plays.

Last year Sanchez was still an extremely young 2nd year quarterback, Shotty protected Sanchez with the run game once again. We made it to the AFC Championship game. The Jets ranked 2nd in rushing attempts, but we also ranked 18th in passing attempts. In 2009 we ranked dead last in pass attempts. As Sanchez gained experience, Shotty called for more pass plays, allowing Sanchez the chance to make more of an impact. We improved in yards and points scored from 09 to 2010. The same thing will happen this year. Shotty Jr knows exactly what he's doing.

If you all truly believe that scripting an offense and play calling is easy for an OC, that's working with an extremely inexperienced quarterback under center, just goes to show the overall lack of understanding that you really have for the game of football. As Sanchez developes into a leader, we'll see the Jets offense take off with Shotty Jr as offensive coordinator. Sanchez is no longer inexperienced. He's a 3rd year QB with 6 career playoff games under his belt. As Sanchez comes into his own, we're starting to see our offense expand with Shotty Jr calling the plays.

Last night we seen Sanchez throw the football 44 times for 335 yards and two TD's. We only rushed the football 15 times. That would have never happened during our 1st two years with Sanchez under center. Shotty knows EXACTLY what he's doing, and he's protected Sanchez over the past two years better than any OC could have protected a young QB. He protected Sanchez with the run game, wildcat formation, offensive line and allowed our defense to win for us. Sanchez completed 26 passes and connected with 7 different offensive players. Shotty called one hell of a game last night, lets not blame Shotty every time Sanchez makes a mistake, takes a sack or fails to complete a pass.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish, and before the games are said and done with, Sanchez and our entire Jets offense gets going. We've made it to the AFC Championship with Shotty Jr calling plays during consecutive seasons; so it's obvious he's doing something right.

In 2009, Sanchez was a rookie. Shotty Jr called for the fewest pass plays of any team in the league. The Jets ended up leading the league in rushing and setting a franchise record for most rushing yards during a single season. That's what you call protecting a raw rookie QB with only 1 season of college starting experience. Shotty Jr knew enough to protect Sanchez with the run game and offensive line. We made it to the AFC Championship game with a great O-Line, great rushing attack and great defense. Shotty Jr called for the running plays.

Last year Sanchez was still an extremely young 2nd year quarterback, Shotty protected Sanchez with the run game once again. We made it to the AFC Championship game. The Jets ranked 2nd in rushing attempts, but we also ranked 18th in passing attempts. In 2009 we ranked dead last in pass attempts. As Sanchez gained experience, Shotty called for more pass plays, allowing Sanchez the chance to make more of an impact. We improved in yards and points scored from 09 to 2010. The same thing will happen this year. Shotty Jr knows exactly what he's doing.

If you all truly believe that scripting an offense and play calling is easy for an OC, that's working with an extremely inexperienced quarterback under center, just goes to show the overall lack of understanding that you really have for the game of football. As Sanchez developes into a leader, we'll see the Jets offense take off with Shotty Jr as offensive coordinator. Sanchez is no longer inexperienced. He's a 3rd year QB with 6 career playoff games under his belt. As Sanchez comes into his own, we're starting to see our offense expand with Shotty Jr calling the plays.

Last night we seen Sanchez throw the football 44 times for 335 yards and two TD's. We only rushed the football 15 times. That would have never happened during our 1st two years with Sanchez under center. Shotty knows EXACTLY what he's doing, and he's protected Sanchez over the past two years better than any OC could have protected a young QB. He protected Sanchez with the run game, wildcat formation, offensive line and allowed our defense to win for us. Sanchez completed 26 passes and connected with 7 different offensive players. Shotty called one hell of a game last night, lets not blame Shotty every time Sanchez makes a mistake, takes a sack or fails to complete a pass.

Christ dude, just because you disagree with what someone writes, find something else to say than "that just shows how little you know about the game of football," i've seen this phrase verbatim a handful of times from you in the last week.

I can do it too. It's now how you start games, but how you finish games that matters?? Saying how you start games doesn't matter just shows how little you know about the game of football. Starting off slow worked out real well for us last AFCCG didn't it?? You want to start off fast, because it most certainly matters in how we establish and maintain our game plan and allows us to utilize our entire playbook instead of going shotgun-pass-happy and in danger of throwing ints.

I honestly can't believe someone this pompous can advocate that how you start a game doesn't matter.

Every teams starts the game with like 10 to 15 scripted plays, Rex should take Shotty's script away just before the game starts and make him call plays on the fly. We have not scored a TD from that script in almost 12 months.

I just want a early lead then pound the hell out of the ball setting up the play action. Is this too hard of a concept for sh*tty to understand???

Yes

I thought the offense did a pretty good job of adjusting as the game went on. I do think they were too married to their game plan/script early on. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that Dallas secondary was its big vulnerability and Rob guessed right that Jets would come out throwing. Sanchez might as well had a bulls-eye on his jersey the way Dallas teed off on our offense. Had they mixed some draws, counter plays and play action, I don't think we would have been so stale early in the game. Even when Shotty "opens it up" it seems very predictable in the opening sequences.

Understand that there is a very good purpose for scripting plays that goes beyond just trying to score or getting off to a fast start.

What scripting really does is two fold:

First, it allows a coaching staff to affirm that a defense is going to react to a specific alignment or formation the way that it expects them to do through their film study for that week. It can help "affirm" that week's game plan very early on in the contest, which is good for the frame of mind of the coach. If he sees the defense is reacting the way he expects, he can be more confident in the plays he's calling, thereby being more aggressive.

Secondly, coaches design plays in "series", that is they'll line up in a specific formation or "look", that will generally have have 4 or 5 options off of that same look. A script will force the coach into running the base play for that series, allowing them to see how the defense might react to a particular movement, effectively setting the defense up for a more devasting "option" in that play series later in the game.

As I said, scripts can be a very valuable tool during the early parts of a game.

However, a script can hinder a team if the playcaller takes too long to establish a "feel for the game", which is something I've said for a long time that Schottenheimer is not very good at.

It's not that his playcalling is always bad, it's more that he takes too long to recognize that the defense is doing things that in effect, neutralize his Plan A game plan.

Last night was a perfect example of that and I pointed it out in the game thread very early on. It was obvious that the Jet game plan was to attack a depleted Dallas secondary down the field right from the start with 5 and 7 drop pass plays. It was also obvious that Dallas knew that, and the as a result, Rob Ryan's defensive game plan was that he was going to zone blitz early and often by bringing 7 and 8 guys, making it very difficult to attack that defense with the run or any down field passes. We saw the result. We couldn't run the ball because Dallas did a great job with their zone blitzes filling the gaps, and their pass rush was swarming Sanchez because of the long drops and the relatively long down the field routes to develop.

Now I'm not an NFL playcaller (I did call a high school offense for a number of years), but even I know that against that kind of front, you need to attack the flank, either by rolling your QB out, or with quick slants, or something I was calling for for about an hour last night, which is a good old fashioned screen pass, which eventually was called in the last 2 minutes of the half and went for about 30 yards. Hell, why not even put your offense into a "no huddle", which would put much more pressure on the defensive line and not give them 30 or 45 seconds between plays to rest.

Now I'm no genius, but it took Schottenheimer almost 28 minutes to alter what he was doing on offense last night and adjust his offense to what the defense was doing to the Jets in the first half.

Even Rex said to the TV interviewer at the end of the half that it took them too long to recognize what the Cowboys were doing on defense and react to it.

This is my main complaint with Schottenheimer, specifically his lack of ability to develop a "feel for the game" and alter his plan where necessary.

It's a characteristic that every great playcaller, guys like Sean Payton and Norv Turner, has and Schottenheimer just doesn't have it.

And you either have it or you don't.

• 1 month later...

here's a question for all the "fire schotty" folks

what happened to Tom Moore's knowledge?

did mr Moore lose all his OC mastery when he left Indianapolis?

without beating around the bush anymore here what I think: coaches coach, players play and it's up to the players to execute.

without beating around the bush anymore here what I think: coaches coach, players play and it's up to the players to execute.

Tom Moore is home on Sundays and has no impact on "In game decisions" or "offensive play calling".

But if you don't think "in game coaching" and "play calling" has an impact on the outcome of a football game, there's probably nothing I can say that will change your mind, so I won't try.

C'mon. There were those great running plays last night with Conner in motion. Those were "all Bill Callahan". Never mind the fact that the Jets were doing that before he got here and before they even had a TE with Sean Ryan at TE.

Schotty starts the game with 4 scripted plays, and runs them on the first 15 drives until we are losing - then they ask Sanchez to either win it for us, or fail miserably and have everyone in the tri-state area question his future on an ongoing basis.

Those plays: run for 2, run for 4, incomplete 3-yard slant pass, punt

Archived