The Patriots Offense Remains Impressive

Maxman

The Patriots Offense Remains Impressive

by Phil Sullivan on September 13, 2011[edit]

in Featured Editorials,NFL News

ne.gif

During the week one Monday Night Football match-up between the New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins, the Patriots scored 38 points. Tom Brady threw for over 500 yards and Wes Welker caught a 99 yard touchdown pass. Congratulations to the New England Patriots on an impressive offensive game against the Miami Dolphins.

A few other highlights that don’t seem to be getting as much exposure:

• Shaun Ellis only had 1 solo tackle
  • Albert Haynesworth only had 2 solo tackles
  • Chad Ochocinco’s numbers read like this: 1 reception for 14 yards
  • Tom Brady’s regular season streak of passes without and interception came to an end (Jets fans thought this streak was over because of the interception by David Harris in the playoffs; but this was a regular season streak)
  • The Miami Dolphins scored 24 points and Chad Henne threw for 416 yards and 2 TDs.
  • The Miami Dolphins had over 500 yards of total offense
  • Brandon Marshall averaged 19.9 yards on 7 catches.

ESPN seems to be focused on a Patriots highlight reel that includes Tom Brady playing with his hair as he takes his helmet off and Wes Welker’s 99 yard TD reception. We went into this season knowing that the Patriots were an offensive juggernaut. That same offensive prowess has led them to early exits in the postseason in recent years.

During the broadcast last night it was mentioned that the new players in New England have bought into the system. And that New England is where players go to really learn football. I dream of a world where the main stream media is able to move past Tom Brady’s good looks and start talking about the reality of where the Patriots sit today.

In recent years the Patriots offensive statistics have been impressive but the end result hasn’t been quite as impressive.

My take from last night's game:

- The Dolphins defense, especially Cameron Wake, are NOT who many thought they were. They are just plain awful.

- The Pats defense may be even worse than it was last year. Haynesworth brings nothing to the table. Guy was a one-year wonder when playing for free agent dollars.

- Chad Ochocinco is a JAG in the Pats offense. He will get no special treatment or extra balls thrown his way because he shoots his mouth off and he better play the good soldier or Mumbles will cut him loose.

What I watched last night was an historic night in sports. I remember watching Ali fight Foreman on ABC one afternoon with my father. That was the day that Ali invented the rope-a-dope. Last night Tom Brady invented a new way to beat the Miami Dolphins in September in the south Florida heat. I have NEVER seen Miami's usual advantage turned against them like I saw the Pats do it against them in that game. You (as a football fan) had to be in awe and impressed. Just like how I used to root against Ali every fight because he was so great and when he'd win you'd just have to shake your head in awe because you knew you were witnessing something special-Brady is THAT great-up there with Ali and Jordan

What I watched last night was an historic night in sports. I remember watching Ali fight Foreman on ABC one afternoon with my father. That was the day that Ali invented the rope-a-dope. Last night Tom Brady invented a new way to beat the Miami Dolphins in September in the south Florida heat. I have NEVER seen Miami's usual advantage turned against them like I saw the Pats do it against them in that game. You (as a football fan) had to be in awe and impressed. Just like how I used to root against Ali every fight because he was so great and when he'd win you'd just have to shake your head in awe because you knew you were witnessing something special-Brady is THAT great-up there with Ali and Jordan

Max,

We really need negative rep.

Interesting mixing in the STUPID No Huddle (JIF says no Huddles are STUPID Ideas :scare: ) that kept Miami off balance all night . What an amazing concept. NO WR should be as wide Open as the Pats WR's were last night it was ridiculous . Its called creating mismatches and the NO HUDDLE offense, very nice job game planning by the Pats. Make no mistake the Dolphins have a good defense, they were just totally and completely out coached.

IMO Tom Brady is the best QB to ever step on a field ( I say that because I dont want to take anything away from his perfromance last night) yep right there with Joe Montana, but for christs sake my grandmother could have had 400 yards passing last night and shes been dead for 20 years.

Funny how all the teams I see running the no huddle seem to do very well moving the ball into the red zone, yes it is a between the 20's style of offense but its obviously effective. Now that being said how has Mark Sanchez been most effective throughout his carreer up to this point ? The NO HUDDLE. Quite Simple we need to mix this in and we need to start doing it when we can actully catch a team off guard with it not like idiot Shotty did last year opening up the game with it vs the Pats and not creating the proper mismatches.

I think Tom Moore will push this to Rex lets see what happens.

I kind of like it when you guys get all jealous in the morning. LOL!

The defense is a work in progress, obviously. The safeties suck, mostly. The only positive was the 3rd down d - which, for one game anyway, was an improvment over last year. Haynesworth is being worked in slowing. He had one tackle - big whoop. He also kind of drew two holding penalties.

Losing Koppen is a big deal. I suspect the Pats will claim some JAG or worse today or tomorrow. Depth an issue at O-line.

The TE's are going to be a handful this year. Hernandez moves the sticks. Gronk catches TD's. Ochocinco will be a huge disappointment to all the jock sniffers out there. As I said numerous times, there is absolutely no difference between today's Branch and today's Ocho besides height and understanding the O. Ochostinko.

Not sure what last nights game told me. I know what I have in Brady. He's awesome. The way to stop him is to apply pressure up the middle. The defense will get better. It won't be great. It will be better.

I'm not sure if Miami's defense just sucks, is over-rated, or if the Pats O was that good.

Max,

We really need negative rep.

You think it's easy for me to have to write that? I'm a Jets fan but I also am an NFL football fan and I've been watching this game since 1966-last night's game was the greatest passing contest I've seen since Namath vs Unitas in 1972

I kind of like when you guys get all jealous in the morning. LOL!

The defense is a work in progress, obviously. The safeties suck, mostly. The only positive was the 3rd down d - which, for one game anyway, was an improvment over last year. Haynesworth is being worked in slowing. He had one tackle - big whoop. He also kind of drew two holding penalties.

Losing Koppen is a big deal. I suspect the Pats will claim some JAG or worse today or tomorrow. Depth an issue at O-line.

The TE's are going to be a handful this year. Hernandez moves the sticks. Gronk catches TD's. Ochocinco will be a huge disappointment to all the jock sniffers out there. As I said numerous times, there is absolutely no difference between today's Branch and today's Ocho besides height and understanding the O. Ochostinko.

Not sure what last nights game told me. I know what I have in Brady. He's awesome. The way to stop him is to apply pressure up the middle. The defense will get better. It won't be great. It will be better. I'm not sure if Miami's defense just sucks or if the Pats O was that good.

It was fun following you on Twitter last night...

Not sure what last nights game told me. I know what I have in Brady. He's awesome. The way to stop him is to apply pressure up the middle. The defense will get better. It won't be great. It will be better. I'm not sure if Miami's defense just sucks or if the Pats O was that good.

hell yes I'm jealous Tee-I wish Tom Brady was our QB for the past decade. I know I should have been rooting for Miami to beat NE last night but I just couldn't I REALLY hate Miami and can't make myself pretend that I don't even for 1 game-besides my best buddy down here Rich is a Southie and a big Pats fan and I like talking to him when they kill the Fins

I don't see how the Pats improved in the areas they needed to so they could start winning playoff games again. They'll beat up on mediocre and bad teams and look really impressive offensively which will mask their defensive deficiencies and get Peter King's heart aflutter. They got lucky in scheduling as a division champ getting to play the Manning-less Colts and the Steelers older than dirt defense.

The Jets will have a much tougher road having to play Houston and Baltimore.

The end result for the Pats will be their eventual one and done in the playoffs. The window is closed.

You think it's easy for me to have to write that? I'm a Jets fan but I also am an NFL football fan and I've been watching this game since 1966-last night's game was the greatest passing contest I've seen since Namath vs Unitas in 1972

1st - Brady didn't come up with the game plan, that was all Belichick. You only need to see one interview with Brady to know he doesn't possess the brain to draw up a gameplan. He ain't Manning. His job is execution and he does it very well.

Comparing him to Ali and Jordan is a massive insult to Ali and Jordan. Brady is at best an equal to Kobe.

It was fun following you on Twitter last night...

I feel like unfollowing alot of people. Freakin' Madden/Fantasy football generation. Some were hooting and hollering about yardage, fantasy points, etc. Who gives a sh*t about records....I WANT A WIN!

1st - Brady didn't come up with the game plan, that was all Belichick. You only need to see one interview with Brady to know he doesn't possess the brain to draw up a gameplan. He ain't Manning. His job is execution and he does it very well.

Comparing him to Ali and Jordan is a massive insult to Ali and Jordan. Brady is at best an equal to Kobe.

Hahahahahah......you could not be more wrong.

Poor jealous Zippy.

It's one game. Glad it was a division win. That's it.

keep telling yourself that-but you're actually smarter that that Joey B

I feel like unfollowing alot of people. Freakin' Madden/Fantasy football generation. Some were hooting and hollering about yardage, fantasy points, etc. Who gives a sh*t about records....I WANT A WIN!

Fantasy football is for geeks-sorry-I could care less

Archived