Hurry Up Offense - Good or Bad?

Latinlawyer

Ok So I hear people say "The Jets should run their 2 minute O all the time..."

Well, last year in NE, we ran that Offense to start the game and it ended with the Jets being laughed out of Foxboro. Does an extra year change the outcome of running a Shotgun Hurryup O?

I don't know. I think you use the hurry up as a change of pace attack when you need it. I don't think its good all game. For one thing you tire out your O-line, secondly, you are prone to false start penaties as well. I guess we will see if the Jets go Hurry up against Jax.

LL

Well, last year in NE, we ran that Offense to start the game and it ended with the Jets being laughed out of Foxboro. Does an extra year change the outcome of running a Shotgun Hurryup O?

I don't know. I think you use the hurry up as a change of pace attack when you need it. I don't think its good all game. For one thing you tire out your O-line, secondly, you are prone to false start penaties as well. I guess we will see if the Jets go Hurry up against Jax.

LL

I agree with you. Every mook in the league can throw against a prevent. It's not like Sanchez success is earth shattering, it's his lack of success the rest of the time that is shocking. IMO it is a horrible idea for a team that wants to have a defensive identity and it will put pressure on the D. Just run the ******* ball and keep it close. We apply the pressure. I think it's a nice change of pace for when we get teams with the wrong personnel, but I do not want to see a steady diet of it. I think that the Jets like to change personnel on offense so it isn't always particularly helpful. Run TE, Pass TE, RB that runs, RB that catches, WR that plays QB. FWIW, I think Woody is the guy that used to get gassed. I think that Hunter is in much better condition.

I guess we will see how often they go to a Hurry up. I was always amazed at the K Gun O that Buffalo used to employ but you need a team that is on the same page and that has used the O for a few seasons for it to work the way Jim Kelly used to make that hum.

Honestly, we just have to maintain an O that is not just a "Run up the middle, run up the middle, short pass, punt" type. It was funny how it seemed that no matter how many walls the Jets hit running up the middle, they just kept doing that. Please run on the edges, please run a sweep...run up the middle a few times but don't make it look so automated. I felt like I was able to call the next play....

I absolutely LOVE the three TE set. Cumberland and Keller can be absolutely explosive and Mulligan can be that TE that sneaks out into the flat for a goal line TD catch.

LL

in general no NFL team runs the hurry up exclusively this is not the Pac 12. They want to run the clock and win close there is no upside in winning by 40 points or winning by 4. there's no pollsters to impress.

the way the Jets are built, with a strong defense, the HC wants the games to be as short as possible. They want to bleed the clock out and win by a point. That's usually the game-plan Rex hands to Schotty. Last week they obviously had to abandon that but that's what they want to do, more or less.

The 2 minute offense should only be used in game when the appropriate mismatches are in place. Going foward a way for the Jets to utilize it would be to line up in our 2 wr 2 te set and Greene as the back. Lining up in a run formation and then based on the personel for the offense spread these players out and run the 2 minute offense on 2 and 3 downs after. Its knowing when to do it, when to pull the trigger on it. This would either come from Schotty or if they let Mark make that decision. When we opened the game in NE like that it smell like desperation, we had success with the run against them in the past, so to me it made no sense. Especially when we went for that QB sneak.

I agree with you. Every mook in the league can throw against a prevent. It's not like Sanchez success is earth shattering, it's his lack of success the rest of the time that is shocking. IMO it is a horrible idea for a team that wants to have a defensive identity and it will put pressure on the D. Just run the ******* ball and keep it close. We apply the pressure. I think it's a nice change of pace for when we get teams with the wrong personnel, but I do not want to see a steady diet of it. I think that the Jets like to change personnel on offense so it isn't always particularly helpful. Run TE, Pass TE, RB that runs, RB that catches, WR that plays QB. FWIW, I think Woody is the guy that used to get gassed. I think that Hunter is in much better condition.

This is what needs to be considered more. You're not going to get a team's two-minute defense on the field just because you want to run your two-minute offense all game.

The 2 minute offense should only be used in game when the appropriate mismatches are in place. Going foward a way for the Jets to utilize it would be to line up in our 2 wr 2 te set and Greene as the back. Lining up in a run formation and then based on the personel for the offense spread these players out and run the 2 minute offense on 2 and 3 downs after. Its knowing when to do it, when to pull the trigger on it. This would either come from Schotty or if they let Mark make that decision. When we opened the game in NE like that it smell like desperation, we had success with the run against them in the past, so to me it made no sense. Especially when we went for that QB sneak.

This idea would actually be a vote against having Greene on the field. You'd want an all-purpose back back there, not a one-dimensional ball carrier. A guy like LT or McKnight could line up wide or in a run formation. Many more options.

This is what needs to be considered more. You're not going to get a team's two-minute defense on the field just because you want to run your two-minute offense all game.

This idea would actually be a vote against having Greene on the field. You'd want an all-purpose back back there, not a one-dimensional ball carrier. A guy like LT or McKnight could line up wide or in a run formation. Many more options.

Who is a better blocker...that was my thinking. Having Greene able to use his size to help Hunter etc.

LL

Run it all the time ?? No way ..... Mix it in, in the right situations like the Pats did last night ? without a doubt

Also those of you pointing to the fact it will hurt the defense should rethink your position. This is not the run and shoot were talking about here where you throw the ball 50 times a game. The no Huddle is designed to keep defenses from substituting players when you get in a good personell situation. You can run the football very effectively from the no huddle and keep teams off balance. Running it all the time is also not a good theng but it would be nice to see it mixed in from time to time.

I'm not sure many people would advocate for running the two-minute offense exclusively, but I can definitely see a large call the no-huddle. There's a significant difference. The hurry-up or two-minute offense is run no-huddle, but the no-huddle doesn't have to be hurry-up. You can hold the ball as long as you want, just giving the illusion that you could snap it early. It also denies the defense from substituting players and making many on-the-fly adjustments. It also allows a lot of pre-snap reads by the QB, I just don't think Sanchez is the next Jim Kelly...or maybe he is.

Also those of you pointing to the fact it will hurt the defense should rethink your position. This is not the run and shoot were talking about here where you throw the ball 50 times a game. The no Huddle is designed to keep defenses from substituting players when you get in a good personell situation. You can run the football very effectively from the no huddle and keep teams off balance. Running it all the time is also not a good theng but it would be nice to see it mixed in from time to time.

I agree with your general sentiment. Mixing a little in would be okay, but let's not expect too much. It's true that you can run from the no-huddle. It's also true that it doesn't have to mean rushing up to the line and snapping with a lot of time on the play clock. OTOH, every single person that has advocated it has done so because they think it helps Sanchez. The fact is that I have ever team I have seen run the no huddle that has been pass happy. It's pretty easy to adjust if you have a personnel imbalance that favors the run. I honestly think it's a step Sanchez isn't ready to take. You want to put more on his plate? How about something that was mentioned by a couple of guys in the game thread: When the defender jumps into the neutral zone, snap the ******* ball. When he and Mangold can handle that call I will accept they are ready for the no huddle.

Every top team in this league extensively uses the hurry up. All of them. There is not one that only uses it for the final 2 minutes or late in a game down by a lot.

Typical Jets fans, we try something once and it fails against BB, so we give up entirely. Meanwhile we try something else 99% of the time and it fails too, but we keep doing it anyway. I just don't get it.

Did you think you could do one thing and it would work all the time? Have you people ever competed in anything before? We stopped NE's offense that one time, did they just abandon it entirely afterwards?

Archived