It's Rex's fault we've won 25 of our last 39

Jetsfan80

Yeah that was the argument for Chad and Hermy too. Playoffs 4 out of 5 years or something right?

No, it wasn't. Because Chad and Herm never had anywhere close to a .640 winning percentage and only once came close to an AFC Title game. Not to mention, the Patriots had Herm/Chad's number. Not so with Rex/Sanchez.

Yeah that was the argument for Chad and Hermy too. Playoffs 4 out of 5 years or something right?

If it was, then it was a really stupid one. Herm took over a team that was full of talent from the Parcells era that just began the downside of their careers. They were still playing at a mediocre level, but most of them had past their primes. As a result, Herm's tenure was just that, mediocre. Nothing special, never did any more or less than was expected with that group of players. However, once those players fell even further from their primes, so much so that late round draft picks were better options (even though they still werent seeing time over veterans), the team sputtered, and Herm's record over the last two years reflected that.

As for Rex, he took on a pretty young defense who hadn't reached their potential yet, and turned them into the best in the NFL in year 1. He has developed players such as Mike DeVito (who was undrafted), and Sione Pouha (who was a late rd draft pick that many wrote off as a nothing), and turned them into starters. He instilled a mindset of confidence, aggressiveness, and physicality to both the D and the team overall, and made it clear that this team would no longer be bullied by anyone, and the days of the Jets being a laughingstock were over. In fact, he took the notorious "Same Old Jets" phrase, which many fans have used to shed a negative light on the franchise over the years, and turned it into a positive, prideful statement. Last year in his presser after beating NE in the 2nd round, his first words are "well, here we go again, Same Old Jets, back in the AFC Championship game..."

To compare Rex with Herm and Sanchez with Chad is just absurd.

No, it wasn't. Because Chad and Herm never had anywhere close to a .640 winning percentage and only once came close to an AFC Title game. Not to mention, the Patriots had Herm/Chad's number. Not so with Rex/Sanchez.

Add to that Herm and Bradway slowly dismantled a team with great players and replaced them with average players. Herm rode Parcells team for at least 3 years.

So we lost 14 of the last 39. That's atrocious. Horrible. That win percentage is atrocious and horrible. And its atrocious and horrible at the exactly the same time. It does not go from horrible to atrocious during the off season and change back to horrible during the season. Or the other way around! It stays atrocious and horrible all the time.

We should fire Rex for still being in 1985. Think about it that was a good year for me personally. I have pleasant memories of 1985. Stories I cannot tell the world about. Well some maybe when i get more time. I think 1985 was a great year. Anyone still living in 1985 cannot be that bad at all. So i personally vote for keeping Rex around here for quite sometime. He can lose the next 14 out of 39 games for me and i would not complain.

When is this guy going to get past his 1985 mentality at running a defense? We need to seriously consider making a change. I hate winning.

LMFAO. I hate winning. Much rather go back to being the laughing stock of the league.

I mean, did you hear? He wants to run the ball more next game. ******* idiot.

Exactly. What Rex needed to do was to have the league's lowest-ranked passer throw the ball 44x per game starting with game 1 of his rookie season (after bypassing his senior season). How dumb is this Rex guy? We'd be so much better off with Mike Martz who would have Sanchez attempting 650+ passes a season right away.

Exactly. What Rex needed to do was to have the league's lowest-ranked passer throw the ball 44x per game starting with game 1 of his rookie season (after bypassing his senior season). How dumb is this Rex guy? We'd be so much better off with Mike Martz who would have Sanchez attempting 650+ passes a season right away.

Gotta go down swinging. I would much rather see a game like Sunday where Sanchez makes mistakes but also makes plays, than the slow death of last year Ravens opener.

If Sanchez can't win in this league, I want to find out, so we can get a new QB that can.

In football and everything else, you've got to take calculated risks for big rewards if you want to get anywhere. As you posted/implied in another thread, banging a back into the line for 2 yards a pop just so you can get an 8 yard run in garbage time is a terrible strategy.

Did anyone else watch the Eagles game? They just kept throwing even with Vick only hitting about half his passes. Vick would miss on 1st and 2nd down, and then on 3rd down he'd keep getting it right. Then finally by the 4th quarter the Rams just crumbled under the pressure and McCoy and Vick absolutely crushed them--rushing the ball.

You don't need to bang into the line to open up the run late, defenses tire just as much or more from being constantly forced with the threat of the air game, even if you don't really succeed at it.

Most people say Vick is a terrible passer, so if Vick's terrible passing can pressure so hard, why can't Sanchez?

Gotta go down swinging. I would much rather see a game like Sunday where Sanchez makes mistakes but also makes plays, than the slow death of last year Ravens opener.

If Sanchez can't win in this league, I want to find out, so we can get a new QB that can.

In football and everything else, you've got to take calculated risks for big rewards if you want to get anywhere. As you posted/implied in another thread, banging a back into the line for 2 yards a pop just so you can get an 8 yard run in garbage time is a terrible strategy.

Did anyone else watch the Eagles game? They just kept throwing even with Vick only hitting about half his passes. Vick would miss on 1st and 2nd down, and then on 3rd down he'd keep getting it right. Then finally by the 4th quarter the Rams just crumbled under the pressure and McCoy and Vick absolutely crushed them--rushing the ball.

You don't need to bang into the line to open up the run late, defenses tire just as much or more from being constantly forced with the threat of the air game, even if you don't really succeed at it.

Most people say Vick is a terrible passer, so if Vick's terrible passing can pressure so hard, why can't Sanchez?

I actually did watch that game. I watched McCoy run for 122 yards on 15 carries and was the difference in the game. lol

Good case though.

So how many carries would you like to see - 5?

BTW one of the reasons our defense struggled in week 1 was the passing game. If we hadn't gotten away from the run, we might have given them a rest here and there. Green Bay Packers backyard football is really what's boring - throw, throw, throw - opponents throw - throw - throw, before you know it, it's 35-28 in the 4th quarter. ZZZ

Who says Vick is a terrible passer?? Maybe in his first stint in the league, but last year he was anything but. He has such a tight spiral and quick release that his short-passing game is one of the best in the league and besides his rocket arm, he throws a great deep ball. As of last year and this year, he has been a very good passer.

I don't get the notion that you say you want to see if you can win with Sanchez or not, hasn't his 4 road playoff wins proven you can win with him?? We were a few minutes from making the SB last year and yes I'll put a lot of that on Sanchez and the O not getting going early enough, but I think it's pretty clear we can win with him.

BTW one of the reasons our defense struggled in week 1 was the passing game. If we hadn't gotten away from the run, we might have given them a rest here and there. Green Bay Packers backyard football is really what's boring - throw, throw, throw - opponents throw - throw - throw, before you know it, it's 35-28 in the 4th quarter. ZZZ

Absolutely, we came out throwing, couldnt move the chains and the defense was on the field nearly the entire first half.

A good coach calls a game to maximize his team's strengths and minimize its weaknesses. As a generality the strengths will be the strengths all season long and the same for the weaknesses. That, however, can change on any given week depending on who's hot and who's not that day. Most games during the regular season - particularly as a rookie, and particularly in the first 3/4 of the games - the team's strength was more its running game than the passing game. Bad as Schottenheimer is and was, as it's been said many times, he certainly doesn't call for Sanchez to throw behind his receivers, require them to make acrobatic catches when they were pretty wide open, miss them outright, or into the arms of defenders. I think he'll be a good one, but accurate passing has not been Sanchez's forte in most games.

Hell one game we had over 300 rushing yards (!!!), the defense held the opposition to 13 pts in regulation, and we still lost thanks to 6 interceptions. Sanchez dropped back to pass 30 times and connected with a Jets receiver on only 10 of them (5 of which were dumpoffs to RBs). No rational fan thought then (or thinks now) that a lack of passing attempts was the reason we lost.

Now that's only 1 example, but with Sanchez pissing away lots of wins we were still winning at halftime in the championship game. You would have squandered that opportunity - an opportunity that I'd previously watched twice in my life - to go pass-happy with a rookie QB to see if we need to draft yet another QB?

A good coach calls a game to maximize his team's strengths and minimize its weaknesses. As a generality the strengths will be the strengths all season long and the same for the weaknesses. That, however, can change on any given week depending on who's hot and who's not that day. Most games during the regular season - particularly as a rookie, and particularly in the first 3/4 of the games - the team's strength was more its running game than the passing game. Bad as Schottenheimer is and was, as it's been said many times, he certainly doesn't call for Sanchez to throw behind his receivers, require them to make acrobatic catches when they were pretty wide open, miss them outright, or into the arms of defenders. I think he'll be a good one, but accurate passing has not been Sanchez's forte in most games.

Hell one game we had over 300 rushing yards (!!!), the defense held the opposition to 13 pts in regulation, and we still lost thanks to 6 interceptions. Sanchez dropped back to pass 30 times and connected with a Jets receiver on only 10 of them (5 of which were dumpoffs to RBs). No rational fan thought then (or thinks now) that a lack of passing attempts was the reason we lost.

Now that's only 1 example, but with Sanchez pissing away lots of wins we were still winning at halftime in the championship game. You would have squandered that opportunity - an opportunity that I'd previously watched twice in my life - to go pass-happy with a rookie QB to see if we need to draft yet another QB?

Ya dont say? lol

The beauty behind this is serphnx has been one of the biggest Sanchez defenders around.

What's funny about these arguments is that Rex was asked directly about this the other day. It may have even been yesterday's PC when someone asked him if he will run the ball no matter what and Rex cited the Detroit game last year when he said "we're going to run the ball 35 times this week". Detroit was stuffing the run and Rex then asked his players if they thought it would be OK if they DIDN'T make it to his magic number and they all said no, go ahead throw it, we want to win. So the whole argument is moot (mute BP?) because Ryan said he learned a valuable lesson that day and it paid off-don't be stuck to an edict if it's not going to help you win.

What's funny about these arguments is that Rex was asked directly about this the other day. It may have even been yesterday's PC when someone asked him if he will run the ball no matter what and Rex cited the Detroit game last year when he said "we're going to run the ball 35 times this week". Detroit was stuffing the run and Rex then asked his players if they thought it would be OK if they DIDN'T make it to his magic number and they all said no, go ahead throw it, we want to win. So the whole argument is moot (mute BP?) because Ryan said he learned a valuable lesson that day and it paid off-don't be stuck to an edict if it's not going to help you win.

No, you're completely wrong. Rex is inflexible as a head coach, much like Mike Martz or Norv Turner. God Rex is awful.

Archived