Floyd Mayweather and Victor Ortiz about to FIGHT! Here is the link for those who don't have HBO...

JetsFanFromQueens

Mayweather proved to be a classless douche bag in the ending of the fight, topped with his post fight interview. It's a shame because he is a hell of an athlete, and is fundamentally a sound boxer. But his BS antics and how he carries himself I can't stomach to cheer for him, especially after tonight

Floyd did nothing wrong. Protect yourself at all times. Ortiz could have CARED LESS if his vicious and intensional headbutt would have severely damaged Floyd as a boxer, as a matter of fact... He tried to hurt Floyd by cheating. So why should Floyd care about Ortiz trying to say "sorry"? He only tried to say sorry because A) He failed to hurt Floyd and B.) He got busted and a point taken away. For as intensional as that headbutt was, two points should have been deducted. Floyd had every right to knock his a$$ out when he wasn't ready. You think Floyd was ready for an intensional headbutt? Hell no. Ortiz drew first blodd, Floyd ended it. If Ortiz would have never cheated in the first place, he would have never been in that situation to begin with. Ortiz getting knocked out falls on Ortiz himself. Cheaters never win.

I'll agree to the extend that you have to keep your guard at all times but how Mayweather handled the ending was bush league. I don't care for cheating but being a bush leaguer and then ranting about it like you're something special makes you a giant a$$hole. Mayweather will have his day like all boxers where he is going to go down in flames and hopefully it will humble his a$$. Then again he'll be laughing all the way to the bank if he hasn't already

Floyd did nothing wrong. Protect yourself at all times. Ortiz could have CARED LESS if his vicious and intensional headbutt would have severely damaged Floyd as a boxer, as a matter of fact... He tried to hurt Floyd by cheating. So why should Floyd care about Ortiz trying to say "sorry"? He only tried to say sorry because A) He failed to hurt Floyd and B.) He got busted and a point taken away. For as intensional as that headbutt was, two points should have been deducted. Floyd had every right to knock his a$$ out when he wasn't ready. You think Floyd was ready for an intensional headbutt? Hell no. Ortiz drew first blodd, Floyd ended it. If Ortiz would have never cheated in the first place, he would have never been in that situation to begin with. Ortiz getting knocked out falls on Ortiz himself. Cheaters never win.

Ortiz would have never won the fight on a headbutt.

Gayweather is a classless POS, there's no defending him.

I was at a bar, so it was hard to tell whether it was Lampley or Merchant, neither of whom I generally care for, but the best sentiment I heard all night was 'if you say you're the best fighter in the world, you shouldn't have to win a fight like that." I agree with that. But, it's a fight, keep your hands up, period. No excuses. That is literally the first thing they will teach you in any boxing gym. It did suck, a lot, because that was a pretty good fight up until that point, even though Floyd looked to be on his way to winning that one pretty easily.

That being said, once you jump over a dude's gloves and headbutt him in the effing mouth, all bets are off and you deserve whatever the hell you get coming towards you. That is one of the most blatantly dirty moves I've ever seen in a ring. Floyd could have kicked him in the nuts at that point and it would have been justifiable.

I was at a bar, so it was hard to tell whether it was Lampley or Merchant, neither of whom I generally care for, but the best sentiment I heard all night was 'if you say you're the best fighter in the world, you shouldn't have to win a fight like that." I agree with that. But, it's a fight, keep your hands up, period. No excuses. That is literally the first thing they will teach you in any boxing gym. It did suck, a lot, because that was a pretty good fight up until that point, even though Floyd looked to be on his way to winning that one pretty easily.

That being said, once you jump over a dude's gloves and headbutt him in the effing mouth, all bets are off and you deserve whatever the hell you get coming towards you. That is one of the most blatantly dirty moves I've ever seen in a ring. Floyd could have kicked him in the nuts at that point and it would have been justifiable.

This. It was almost on the level of Tyson biting off Holyflelds ear. You could tell he was just super frustrated he couldnt hit him even when he had him in the corner. So he said **** it and let the emotions get the better of him.

But then to kiss him afterward? Grow a pair. If you're going to be dirty, embrace it. Pussy.

He got what was coming to him. I'm by no means a Mayweather fan, but IMO, what happened to Ortiz was just. He deserved it.

I too was at a bar and I havent had a chance to google/youtube the Merchant interview but apparently it was epic.

It certainly got me watching a couple youtube videos about the fight, that's for sure. I watch UFC a little but never boxing.

Lol, would you buy a boxing ppv after seeing that?

Mayweather was the victim of a cheap shot, and then he showed that he's no better and delivered one of his own.

Lol, would you buy a boxing ppv after seeing that?

Mayweather was the victim of a cheap shot, and then he showed that he's no better and delivered one of his own.

This is something that the general public and a lot of diehard boxing fans are going to fundamentally disagree on. By no means is it cheap to deck a dude in the face when he doesn't have his hands up and the ref says box. Sorry, that's just the sport. Whether or not it's acceptable in a bar or whatever is a different debate altogether, but in a ring? Sorry, protect yourself at all times. Golden rule of boxing, or any method of professional fighting really. If your opponent takes advantage of it, that's definitely your problem and not his.

It's been pretty funny watching Facebook reactions and whatnot compared to outlets like Maxboxing and The Ring, or in boxing gyms in general. They haven't really been making a big deal about what Floyd did as anything cheap. It's generally been the same sentiment. Floyd looked brilliant once again, and Ortiz was dirty, then an idiot. His bad completely. There is no such thing as a sucker punch in boxing once the ref says box. The "I wasn't ready" excuse does not exist.

This. It was almost on the level of Tyson biting off Holyflelds ear. You could tell he was just super frustrated he couldnt hit him even when he had him in the corner. So he said **** it and let the emotions get the better of him.

But then to kiss him afterward? Grow a pair. If you're going to be dirty, embrace it. Pussy.

Yeah, that was ridiculous. Don't try and bust a guy's lip open with your skull, then think you can just walk up and kiss the guy. The funniest part about it, for me, is Ortiz still looking towards the ref after getting hit with the left hook. Like if you didn't know if you should have put your hands up before, perhaps now would be the time Vic.

In the weeks prior to the fight, Ortiz and his trainer consistently accused Mayweather of being a dirty fighter and throwing elbows consistently. Which is absurd. He's never intentionally elbowed anyone in his entire career, and any fighter worth his salt will put his arms up like that coming out of a break. That Ortiz wound up going that route was a delicious twist of irony.

He got what was coming to him. I'm by no means a Mayweather fan, but IMO, what happened to Ortiz was just. He deserved it.

I too was at a bar and I havent had a chance to google/youtube the Merchant interview but apparently it was epic.

Merchant is a piece of crap. He gave Michael Katsidis sh*t about his dead brother after he had just lost a war to Marquez last year. The guy's a classless toolbag. It's absurd that HBO has no problem with him getting in the ring and harassing their fighters like he does. The way he handled the Floyd interview was about as unprofessional as it gets.

Yeah, that was ridiculous. Don't try and bust a guy's lip open with your skull, then think you can just walk up and kiss the guy. The funniest part about it, for me, is Ortiz still looking towards the ref after getting hit with the left hook. Like if you didn't know if you should have put your hands up before, perhaps now would be the time Vic.

In the weeks prior to the fight, Ortiz and his trainer consistently accused Mayweather of being a dirty fighter and throwing elbows consistently. Which is absurd. He's never intentionally elbowed anyone in his entire career, and any fighter worth his salt will put his arms up like that coming out of a break. That Ortiz wound up going that route was a delicious twist of irony.

Merchant is a piece of crap. He gave Michael Katsidis sh*t about his dead brother after he had just lost a war to Marquez last year. The guy's a classless toolbag. It's absurd that HBO has no problem with him getting in the ring and harassing their fighters like he does. The way he handled the Floyd interview was about as unprofessional as it gets.

Very confused by it all. The first time he hits you out of the break, wtf did you expect the ref to do? Jump in and tell Floyd to stop punching. Dude, you just got jacked for being a punk, put your ******* gloves up and fight.

He was scared. Looked it the second he hit the ring. Then I think Floyd surprised him with decent power a couple of times and Ortiz folded up. I dont even know how Letterman gave him the round he did. Ortiz had his gloves up under his chin after the first good shot Floyd landed. You're a boxer, you know what that means. Then with Floyds ability to make punches slide of his elbows, Ortiz got frustrated and got school yard. But then to kiss him? **** you faggot.

Just watched the Merchant interview. He was in the middle of complimenting him, but you knew there was going to be a but coming and Floyd beat him to it. Pretty funny hearing Merchant say I wish I was 50 years younger so he could whip his a$$. But yeah, Merchants an idiot. I remember one fight when he was doing his wrap up...and he was so drunk, he said..."And my final thoughts on the fight (pause),...back to you Jim". lol Floyd was right, HBO should fire him. lol

He was scared. Looked it the second he hit the ring. Then I think Floyd surprised him with decent power a couple of times and Ortiz folded up.

This generally tends to be the case with guys who think they can bully him around because he's a defensive fighter. Corrales, Judah, Mosley...etc. It was all the same story. The problem is that his punches are short, crisp, and fast; more importantly, they're accurate. I'd put him right up with guys like Sugar Ray Robinson and Alexis Arguello as one of the most accurate punchers in history. That step back/right hand counter is one of the greatest punches ever as well, it's indefensible.

Like I said earlier, those 4 rounds were simply an incredible piece of work by him. I don't know if Victor was scared at first. Maybe I need to rewatch the fight, but he came out and fought aggressively in the first two rounds. He tried putting pressure on and then when he realized that neither pressure nor movement was working, he had thrown the towel in mentally. When your entire strategy is to try and lock a guy in and throw bombs inside, that's usually a last-ditch effort. Ortiz thought he could bully him into corners and then up on the ropes, and Floyd simply was able to spin out every single time because there has never been anyone who can punch like he does while moving backwards. This is the main reason why I've thought for a long time that he'd be able to beat Manny. I think the matchup favors Floyd from purely a style standpoint, but Manny has Roach in his corner and Roach is Roach. However Manny's last several fights have been awfully easy matchups and his camps have not gone well due to his political distractions, even Roach has admitted this. And I don't think anyone in boxing historically has ever trained harder for fights than Floyd, he's a legend for it; regardless, both are incredible and at this point it's completely pointless for them to be fighting anyone else unless Sergio Martinez decides he wants to lose a ton of weight to meet one of them. Victor was easily the #3 welterweight in the world and he looked completely outclassed from the beginning. Strictly as a fighter, Floyd may be my favorite ever to watch, but both him and Manny need to put the BS aside and do this already. It's a stain on both of their careers at this point. He has no business getting back in the ring with Marquez after fighting his last 3 fights at middleweight and welterweight. If he was going to give him that rematch he should have done it after he fought Hatton at 140. Making Marquez move up to 144 is a joke, he couldn't handle Floyd at almost the same weight and he won't be able to handle Manny's power at this point with the weight he's put on since they last fought, which was 14 pounds ago. All in all the next 2 months are going to give us a reminder of what we knew already, that both of these guys are so far and above everyone else, and that the crews who handle both their careers are ruining a legit matchup at a fair weight for everyone. It's not often you catch even one fighter of this caliber in your lifetime, and right now there's two, and the both weigh the same. This hasn't happened since the 60's.

Floyd gets most of the blame for this because everyone hates him, but the truth of the matter is that it's been equally on Arum as well, which in turn reflects just as poorly on Manny.

Just watched the Merchant interview. He was in the middle of complimenting him, but you knew there was going to be a but coming and Floyd beat him to it. Pretty funny hearing Merchant say I wish I was 50 years younger so he could whip his a$$. But yeah, Merchants an idiot. I remember one fight when he was doing his wrap up...and he was so drunk, he said..."And my final thoughts on the fight (pause),...back to you Jim". lol Floyd was right, HBO should fire him. lol

Yeah, if you can, see if you can dig up the video of him interviewing Michael Katsidis after last year's loss to Marquez. Kid just fought one heck of a fight and got busted up bad, and his brother had died like 6 weeks before the fight, and the first thing Merchant asks him as he's standing there heartbroken is; "I don't want to be morbid...but would your brother be proud of you tonight?"The guy completely broke down and Merchant stood there clueless, not even aware of what he just said. The guy's such a POS and I wish Bernard Hopkins would just lose it on him already and deck him in the mouth.

Yeah, if you can, see if you can dig up the video of him interviewing Michael Katsidis after last year's loss to Marquez. Kid just fought one heck of a fight and got busted up bad, and his brother had died like 6 weeks before the fight, and the first thing Merchant asks him as he's standing there heartbroken is; "I don't want to be morbid...but would your brother be proud of you tonight?"The guy completely broke down and Merchant stood there clueless, not even aware of what he just said. The guy's such a POS and I wish Bernard Hopkins would just lose it on him already and deck him in the mouth.

Merchant is a POS and in his younger days he was a woman beater so eff him but Floyd just completely overreacted to his question. Just answer the damn question Floyd.

I don't think what Floyd did was dirty but I do think it was cheap. Floyd's too good a fighter to be giving fuel to his critics like that. He could have won that fight just as easily if he did it straight up and it would have been completely non-controversial and would have shut all of his critics up.

Instead, in typical Floyd fashion, he does something that gets everyone up in arms.

Merchant is a POS and in his younger days he was a woman beater so eff him but Floyd just completely overreacted to his question. Just answer the damn question Floyd.

I don't think what Floyd did was dirty but I do think it was cheap. Floyd's too good a fighter to be giving fuel to his critics like that. He could have won that fight just as easily if he did it straight up and it would have been completely non-controversial and would have shut all of his critics up.

Instead, in typical Floyd fashion, he does something that gets everyone up in arms.

I don't even know if it was to play up to the character he created. I don't think it went any further than 'this guy just headbutted me in my mouth, I'm punching him in the damn face.' And honestly, I'll say it again, there's no such thing as a cheap shot in boxing once the ref says box. If you're too dumb to protect yourself at all times, you're likely going to get knocked out.

But even so, Victor's the one that opened that door up in the first place.

If the ref said "box" the hit was legal and clean. Did Mayweather have to wait until ortiz was ready? Did he have to wait his turn to hit him? I don't understand. If the ref said box you box. Other than that mayweather is a clown with a lot of talent.

He did nothing wrong. Ortiz got what he deserved. When you drop your hands and lunge to head butt someone...you're a classless pos, who deserves anything thats coming to you.

He did nothing wrong. Ortiz got what he deserved. When you drop your hands and lunge to head butt someone...you're a classless pos, who deserves anything thats coming to you.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. I am not defending Ortiz in any way so I am not sure how bringing him up is remotely relevent.

Champions don't do what Floyd did.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. I am not defending Ortiz in any way so I am not sure how bringing him up is remotely relevent.

Champions don't do what Floyd did.

Meh, champions like to win more than anything. What was he supposed to do? Stop fighting? The ref called break, Ortiz wanted to play lovey dovey and Floyd wanted to fight. Rightfully so, he just got headed butted and kissed in a matter of 30 seconds. The way I see it, it ended what was going to be a 12 round domination by Floyd...so who cares? That was more exciting sadly.

Archived