I've been apartment hunting recently.

Arsis

I think I need a drink and a nap and maybe a cookie. NYC has to be the most expensive place in the world to live in. Jeeze, You would think 50k a year before taxes would be enough to live on your own in a decent neighborhood and also eat food. $1050 for a 350sq ft studio apartment? Really!? REALLY? I've just started the search and have plenty of time to look and find the best options but so far I am discouraged. Any advice you have for a young jet fan trying not to have 3 roommates or live in a hole in bedsty for 1/3 of my monthly salary.

I just did a quick search here: http://streeteasy.com/nyc/rentals/nyc/rental_type:frbo,brokernofee,brokerfee|price:500-1250?page=1&sort_by=price_asc

... and found a number of places under $1000.

What are your options besides shelling out all your income on a rental? Are you living at home with mom & dad now? Is it that bad? Do you have any possible access to a down payment so you can buy something? I see a few places in the low $100's for sale. If you could get your foot in the door buying something, you could turn around and rent that when you're ready for something bigger and better. That's how you get ahead.

I like my privacy, too, but there's a lot to be said for good roommates - if you can find them. They sorta help to serve as a little extra security in a sketchy neighborhood. If you need a place in the city now, and still want to plan for the future, you definitely need to set yourself up with the lowest possible rent.

there's this thing called a train that takes you to huntington NY out on long island. look for a place near the train station. awesome town for a young guy

Haha!

Huntington is a cool town, but if he has to go into the city everyday for work, he's looking at an additional $300/month for the train.

Edit: if commuting's an option, Long Beach is a little closer and also a very cool place for a young guy to live in NY.

Haha!

Huntington is a cool town, but if he has to go into the city everyday for work, he's looking at an additional $300/month for the train.

Edit: if commuting's an option, Long Beach is a little closer and also a very cool place for a young guy to live in NY.

hahaha !

presumably you can find an apartment for $300 less if he is looking at $1050 fo a room 12 feet by 30 feet. in the suburbs renting a room over a garage is better than that. the flip side is one of my big regrets in life is never having lived in the city, but there is a big difference between living in the city and living in a closet in a bad neighborhood

hahaha !

presumably you can find an apartment for $300 less if he is looking at $1050 fo a room 12 feet by 30 feet. in the suburbs renting a room over a garage is better than that. the flip side is one of my big regrets in life is never having lived in the city, but there is a big difference between living in the city and living in a closet in a bad neighborhood

I agree. I plan to retire to a city, if not the city.

Besides that $300 for the train, the other big expense is that you have to have a car in the suburbs. So that's a payment (presumably), gas, insurance... All need to be considered when debating city vs. suburbs.

The only way you can get an apt for your budget is to find an neighborhood with very high crime. Or a sugar momma. Or you can squat in one of those newly constructed buildings that have unsold apts!

Or you can move to one of the other boroughs. You might still have to pay $1050 but atleast you get a place that is bigger than a garbage dumpster. Good luck.

I just did a quick search here: http://streeteasy.co...rt_by=price_asc

... and found a number of places under $1000.

What are your options besides shelling out all your income on a rental? Are you living at home with mom & dad now? Is it that bad? Do you have any possible access to a down payment so you can buy something? I see a few places in the low $100's for sale. If you could get your foot in the door buying something, you could turn around and rent that when you're ready for something bigger and better. That's how you get ahead.

I like my privacy, too, but there's a lot to be said for good roommates - if you can find them. They sorta help to serve as a little extra security in a sketchy neighborhood. If you need a place in the city now, and still want to plan for the future, you definitely need to set yourself up with the lowest possible rent.

I currently rent from family which is proving to be a bit of a headache. I can stay here until I find a place but I'm looking to get a place in the 5 boroughs to shave 2 hours a day off of my commute. It just seems silly to me that I make more than the reported average income for the city and can not afford a 1 bedroom apartment here. That is something that was a bit shocking to me. So I thought I would rant about it a little bit, lol. Seems like a recipe for a lot of moving out in the middle of the night with 6 months back rent due. Unless I can put a down payment on something for about 10 grand I doubt ill be able to swing that yet. Thanks for your advice and that site. I haven't seen that one yet.

The only way you can get an apt for your budget is to find an neighborhood with very high crime. Or a sugar momma. Or you can squat in one of those newly constructed buildings that have unsold apts!

Or you can move to one of the other boroughs. You might still have to pay $1050 but atleast you get a place that is bigger than a garbage dumpster. Good luck.

I've been looking in Brooklyn and Queens as well. When I say NYC, I mean NYC, not just Manhattan. I live in Long Island now and it is a bitch to have to spend 4 hours of your day commuting. Whoever made up the train schedules did it to ruin people's day who have to work. Sitting in penn station for a half hour + everyday isn't my idea of fun.

I think I need a drink and a nap and maybe a cookie. NYC has to be the most expensive place in the world to live in. Jeeze, You would think 50k a year before taxes would be enough to live on your own in a decent neighborhood and also eat food. $1050 for a 350sq ft studio apartment? Really!? REALLY? I've just started the search and have plenty of time to look and find the best options but so far I am discouraged. Any advice you have for a young jet fan trying not to have 3 roommates or live in a hole in bedsty for 1/3 of my monthly salary.

I say bite the bullet and do whatever it takes to live in manhattan. I lived in the city for about 10 years and it was awesome. When i first moved out I was 21, i had been living at home on the jersey end of staten island and spending 2 hours each way commuting to midtown. Working 9-5 and then going to school full time at night for about a year finally drove me crazy, and i decided to sacrifice anything in the world to get into the city. I used a site called easyroommate.com (mind you this was like 12 years ago so ymmv) and found 2 guys who were looking for a 3rd roommate for a place downtown on Gold st right off Fulton. I had looked at a few other places and people, but i would have my own bathroom in my room and these 2 guys were both finance guys out of college with stable jobs and seemed like total pushovers, so i knew i would be the alpha male in the house. It had come down to this or a seedy place in the east village with a female, blonde, lesbian, cute aspiring rapper, but she had a cat and one of those cat climbing things in the kitchen and i can't deal with cats even though she had like 4 different hot gay/bi chick friends come by while i was there chatting with her. Anywho, it all worked out with the roomies, with me really deciding to part ways a year later only because of 9/11 and my place being 3 blocks from the foot of the towers.

Anyway, the first few years on my own were a struggle financially, but just being in the city made the struggle worthwhile, and something i would never change, it was a great experience.

I say bite the bullet and do whatever it takes to live in manhattan. I lived in the city for about 10 years and it was awesome. When i first moved out I was 21, i had been living at home on the jersey end of staten island and spending 2 hours each way commuting to midtown. Working 9-5 and then going to school full time at night for about a year finally drove me crazy, and i decided to sacrifice anything in the world to get into the city. I used a site called easyroommate.com (mind you this was like 12 years ago so ymmv) and found 2 guys who were looking for a 3rd roommate for a place downtown on Gold st right off Fulton. I had looked at a few other places and people, but i would have my own bathroom in my room and these 2 guys were both finance guys out of college with stable jobs and seemed like total pushovers, so i knew i would be the alpha male in the house. It had come down to this or a seedy place in the east village with a female, blonde, lesbian, cute aspiring rapper, but she had a cat and one of those cat climbing things in the kitchen and i can't deal with cats even though she had like 4 different hot gay/bi chick friends come by while i was there chatting with her. Anywho, it all worked out with the roomies, with me really deciding to part ways a year later only because of 9/11 and my place being 3 blocks from the foot of the towers.

Anyway, the first few years on my own were a struggle financially, but just being in the city made the struggle worthwhile, and something i would never change, it was a great experience.

Agree. Womenfolk who live in the city aren't usually going to come home with you on an hour-plus train to Huntington at 2-4am. Once in a while maybe but I wouldn't bet on it happening with the desired regularly. And of course that's how long it takes from train station to train station after you're already on the train. Try timing traffic via subway or taxi when you know a train leaves at exactly 2:11am or whatever. One does not plan to arrive at Penn Station at 2:10 unless you're a fool or drunk or both. So add in another 5-15 minutes of lead-time to make sure you don't miss your train. Then there's the time it takes to get to Penn Station from wherever you are (another 5-15 minutes). By the time you get home, if you've gotten a girl that far, she's sleeping - or sober - already since door-to-door it's been almost 2 hours since you left the bar.

Even if you live in a dump, you can get girls coming back with you if it's reachable within 15 minutes by taxi. The city may be a giant stinkhole if you're not making enough to avoid the stinkhole-ness, but for a young guy who's not looking to settle down you tend not to notice and there aren't many more fun places to live...until you get sick of it which many (if not most) eventually do. Then we only go back to the city when we absolutely have to and dread it every time.

But I do think it's a good experience for young people. It was for me. I think it would be tough to swing living on one's own on $50K since everything costs double or triple in the city to begin with.

So you hate cats more than you like pussies! :)

Actually there was a time i lived like a king in Manhattan on wages that i would struggle to keep my head above water today. That was 15 years ago. Times have changed to a point where not sure if one can live in a dumpster on decent wages for half a month. So look at you financial position. If you can make ends meet go for city living. Or else move to Long eyeland and find a neighborhood bar. Maybe you could get some good action locally.

Archived