Mangold has "high ankle sprain"

JetsFan220

He wanted to play yesterday. You could see it on his face when he was on the sidelines.

He'll be out there as soon as the Jets will allow him to be. Consider that up until yesterday he's a guy who had taken some nasty shots over the years, and usually was down on the field at least a couple of times per season, and then was back out on the field the very next drive. He said himself he wanted to go back in the game yesterday. The guy is one tough SOB.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's simply wrong to suggest that an Olineman would miss upwards of 6 games to a high ankle sprain. Olineman play with broken hands, knee sprains, and various other ailments. I've really never heard of an OLineman missing over a 1/3 of a season from a high ankle sprain.

Heck, Curtis Martin played a whole season with a high ankle sprain.

I think this is a 2 week injury tops. Olineman are different. They don't sit up a bunch of games for these types of injuries.

I hope they just give it a chance to do some healing. I'd rather he sit for a month now, than come back after two weeks and have it linger the rest of the season. Even if the Jets have to face Ngata and Wilfork without him. Although, if he can go, I don't see him missing the NE game.

The flipside, of course, is that the Jets' offense is so bad that losing their best player really doesn't hurt the overall team all that much. :)

I hope they just give it a chance to do some healing. I'd rather he sit for a month now, than come back after two weeks and have it linger the rest of the season. Even if the Jets have to face Ngata and Wilfork without him. Although, if he can go, I don't see him missing the NE game.

The flipside, of course, is that the Jets' offense is so bad that losing their best player really doesn't hurt the overall team all that much. :)

Holmes will play.

I think it's simply wrong to suggest that an Olineman would miss upwards of 6 games to a high ankle sprain.

i suggested 4-5 weeks. maybe he shortens it to 3-4 with very aggressive rehab, but if Mangold is out there in 2 weeks with a high ankle sprain that would be amazing. I know he wants to do it but this isn't the super bowl it's a regular season game and Mangold is hopefully a Jet for life. I'd rather the doctors not rush him.

i suggested 4-5 weeks. maybe he shortens it to 3-4 with very aggressive rehab, but if Mangold is out there in 2 weeks with a high ankle sprain that would be amazing. I know he wants to do it but this isn't the super bowl it's a regular season game and Mangold is hopefully a Jet for life. I'd rather the doctors not rush him.

I get what you're saying, Bit, but an Olineman being out 4-5 weeks on a high ankle sprain is pretty much unprecedented.

They're just built different than other players. I don't want Mangold rushed, but it's the nature of the position. David Harris would miss 4 weeks and Holmes 6 weeks because of their respective positions. I would not be surprised if we see Mangold against the Ravens.

I get what you're saying, Bit, but an Olineman being out 4-5 weeks on a high ankle sprain is pretty much unprecedented.

They're just built different than other players. I don't want Mangold rushed, but it's the nature of the position. David Harris would miss 4 weeks and Holmes 6 weeks because of their respective positions. I would not be surprised if we see Mangold against the Ravens.

I agree. Rex hasn't ruled him out for this week. He's calling it "very iffy" I really think Rex will want him back against the Ravens, and Pats.

We'll see

They're just built different than other players.

it depends on the injury. the fact that he's definitely out next week tells me it could linger more than a week. for him to go from out week 3 to probable week 4 that would be some rehab. mangold might not be running around as much as a WR but he's got to plant and drop anchor when a wilfork decides to bullrush, he can't do that on 1 leg.

and let me reiterate it's week 4 of the regular season. these guys play in pain and that's great but pain is your body telling your brain something isn't right. Mangold could conceivable take every needle under the sun and get back out there if it was the Super Bowl, but what further damage will it do? I don't want the best center in the game to be less than 100% all year and certainly don't want him to shorten his career.

it depends on the injury. the fact that he's definitely out next week tells me it could linger more than a week. for him to go from out week 3 to probable week 4 that would be some rehab. mangold might not be running around as much as a WR but he's got to plant and drop anchor when a wilfork decides to bullrush, he can't do that on 1 leg.

and let me reiterate it's week 4 of the regular season. these guys play in pain and that's great but pain is your body telling your brain something isn't right. Mangold could conceivable take every needle under the sun and get back out there if it was the Super Bowl, but what further damage will it do? I don't want the best center in the game to be less than 100% all year and certainly don't want him to shorten his career.

Rex hasn't ruled him out this week. That should tell us something. Heck, Rex says that Mangold wants to play, but Rex will leave it up to the trainers.

Don't get me wrong, Bit. I'm not advocating rushing Mangold out there. I just stating an opinion that he will play again sooner than later based on the reality of the game and the position he plays. Olineman rush back from injury. That's a fact.

No, it's just that high ankle sprains are usually caused by cutting or by getting tackled by the ankle so they don't happen to offensive linemen all that often. Claim that recovery time would be unprecedented is of course groundless nonsense.

How the **** can anybody tell? It's a sprain. There are levels. It might be very severe or it might be fairly mild. It's impossible to pick a date just because it's a high ankle sprain. They can be a bitch, but we have no way of telling how long he'll be out just because it's "high".

Unless you're Cowherd, who claims to know all.

No, it's just that high ankle sprains are usually caused by cutting or by getting tackled by the ankle so they don't happen to offensive linemen all that often. Claim that recovery time would be unprecedented is of course groundless nonsense.

Never said recovery time would be unprecedented, you twit. I said he'd be out there playing, recovery or not. An Olineman would have the same recovery time as others, but would still play earlier than others. That's reality.

Never said recovery time would be unprecedented, you twit. I said he'd be out there playing, recovery or not. An Olineman would have the same recovery time as others, but would still play earlier than others. That's reality.

I give up. Just switch over the username and find an avatar pic of you fisting a marlin.

Archived