if Curtis Granderson does NOT win the AL MVP.....

Blackout

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MVP award should change it's name to Babe Ruth Award.

Pitchers win Cy Young Award, offensive players win Babe Ruth award. Problem solved.

Walter Johnson should have the CYA in his name then

it's not Walter's fault that Cy Young died right around the time of the award so they named it after him

\

I'm a Yankee fan. But Verlander's season is off the charts. He is the definition of "most valuable".

He's having a great year- but it isn't all time great. Plus the Tigers lineup is solid. The MVP if it were a Tiger is Miggy.

Bautista's numbers are far and way better than everyone else's. It would be a shame if he doesn't win. Take Granderson off the Yankee lineup and they're still pretty good. To say where would they be without him is a bit dramatic.

MVP award should change it's name to Babe Ruth Award.

Pitchers win Cy Young Award, offensive players win Babe Ruth award. Problem solved.

Well there is the little known Hank Aaron Award which is supposed to go to each league's best hitter. I think it was initially developed to prevent guys from sub .500 teams from winning the MVP but of course it hasn't worked out that way and most people don't even know the damn award even exists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Aaron_Award

\

He's having a great year- but it isn't all time great. Plus the Tigers lineup is solid. The MVP if it were a Tiger is Miggy.

Bautista's numbers are far and way better than everyone else's. It would be a shame if he doesn't win. Take Granderson off the Yankee lineup and they're still pretty good. To say where would they be without him is a bit dramatic.

Take Bautista off the Jays and they still suck.

Guys on non-playoff teams should be ineligible for the MVP.

Why?

He's still the best player.

He's the best hitter. Give him the Hank Aaron Award. That's why it exists.

You used the argument earlier that if you took Granderson out of the Yankees lineup they wouldn't be all that affected by it. Well, aside from my total disagreement, your logic is flawed if that is your basis for giving the award to Bautista.

The Blue Jays are a .500 team with no chance of making the playoffs. Take Bautista out of their lineup and they are still going nowhere. How VALUABLE can he possibly be if the team stinks with or without him?

It's the Most VALUABLE Player award, not the "Hitter With the Most Impressive Numbers" award.

Put Bautista on the Yankees and they win 110 games. It's really not even close who contributes the most wins individually to a team, which makes Bautista the most valuable to his team. He gets on base the most, walks the most, has the most home runs, best slugging % and the highest OPS.

Granderson is having a great season, but Bautista is doing everything better.

And Arod won it on a last place team, so it's not like it hasnt happened before.

Put Bautista on the Yankees and they win 110 games. It's really not even close who contributes the most wins individually to a team.

Granderson is having a great season, but Bautista is doing everything better.

And Arod won it on a last place team, so it's not like it hasnt happened before.

Doesn't work that way and A-Rod shouldn't have won it that year.

So you're just looking for anyone who's not a Yankee to give it to?

Granderson has 15 more HR and 22 more RBI than Cabrera. Granderson is leading the AL in runs and RBI, Cabrera is leading the AL in arrests.

Next...

Its 2011 breh. We off that. However' Grandy I'd probably give it to over Cabrera.

But its Bautista's award.

It makes perfect sense. Engage your brain.

I just don't fault the best player being on a bad team when he's clearly having the best season. Best player = the most valuable. Easy logic really. Bautista shouldnt be penalized for that, just like Granderson shouldnt be given extra points for playing on the AL's best team.

All you're arguing is that the best player on the best team should win the award.

I just don't fault the best player being on a bad team when he's clearly having the best season. Best player = the most valuable. Easy logic really. Bautista shouldnt be penalized for that, just like Granderson shouldnt be given extra points for playing on the AL's best team.

All you're arguing is that the best player on the best team should win the award.

EXACTLY!

That's what it's supposed to be!

Since I discount defense when considering MVP (with the exception being if a guy is exceptionally great or exceptionally bad or plays a position like catcher that can hinder offensive production), here are some numbers to digest:

Jose Bautista's oWAR (Offensive WAR) is 7.9 with Toronto's cumulative team total being 17.6 for the year.

Curtis Granderson's oWAR is 5.5 on a team with a total of 23.4.

Ellsbury is a 6.4 on a team with a total of 30.6.

Ryan Braun is leading the NL in batting and is fifth in RBI and has 33 homers for a playoff-bound team.

If they establish that you have to be on a good team then I wouldn't have a problem with this logic. But guys that have had great seasons on teams not playing in October have won the award. And you cant deny, statistically, Bautista is having the best year.

If they establish that you have to be on a good team then I wouldn't have a problem with this logic. But guys that have had great seasons on teams not playing in October have won the award. And you cant deny, statistically, Bautista is having the best year.

I don't. I also never liked it when players on lousy teams won the MVP. That's why they created the Hank Aaron Award in the first place. Its criminal that MLB has done nothing to promote the award because it would make discussions like this moot.

Archived