Let's re-evaluate Carl Crawford's year

Blackout

Since us Yankee fans are apparently obsessed with the Red Sawx why not look at CC this year (not Sabathia, Carl Crawford)

batting average / onbase % / slugging %

total: .255/.292/.401

with RISP: .232/.267/.370

23 walks / 100 strikeouts (ouch)

Vs AL East

NYY: .266/.288/.406

TBR: .224/.255/.286

TOR: .196/.233/.304

BAL: .207/.233/.276

But hey, he has hit well when the Sox are up or down by 4 or more runs: .353/.392/.574

Plus he is stealing base at a much smaller rate than ever before....probably because you can't steal first.

so far he's earned his salary this year

The problem is that Crawford doesn't really fit in the line-up as it is currently constructed. He's a top of the order guy, but he doesn't really fit at the top of the Sox order. The Sox need a right handed hitting power hitter to protect A-Gon and got a left-handed hitting speed guy instead.

Some people can handle Boston, some people can't. It's not for everyone. As bad as he has been though, Lackey is worse.

Like I said earlier

Sawx would have been better off keeping VMart and Belte over Gonzo and CC

Sawx just didn't need another lefty, and basically moving Youk back to 3rd has ruined him, and his season

Gonzalez was needed

but Crawford was NOT and they shoulda done kept V-mart over Saltynuts

Like I said earlier

Sawx just didn't need another lefty, and basically moving Youk back to 3rd has ruined him, and his season

Youkilis was not ruined by moving back to 3rd base. That's ridiculous. He was hurt last year and got hurt this year. There is no rhyme or reason to that line of thinking. And getting Gonzalez was definitely the right move. Any suggestion otherwise is dumb.

Gonzalez was needed

but Crawford was NOT and they shoulda done kept V-mart over Saltynuts

V-Mart has caught how many games this season? The Sox didn't need another DH. They needed a catcher. Crawford didn't make sense then and still doesn't make sense. It would probably have been smarter to bring in Werth for the money each guy got paid.

Crawford was replaced the second TB drafted Desmond Jennings. Once they started to develope Jennings, it became a wrap.

Crawford has been overrated by the media, and most definitely not worth the money he was trying to strong arm the Rays front office for.

If he weren't overrated, he would have always been a leadoff hitter for the Rays, one whom also played center field. But he couldn't. He's always been too uncomfortable to play both positions. He's always been overrated because of his overall speed.

He's the greatest Ray they've ever had, but I'm pretty sure Longoria, Price and Jennings will take that title away from Crawford over the next couple of years.

Lets be honest here... His game is based off of top of the line speed. Speed on the bases and speed in the outfield. He's now 30 years old. As he ages, and as he starts to lose top end speed, his game will decline in major ways. At the age of 30, he was never worth the money he was looking for out of Tampa Bay, and he most definitely wasn't worth the money the Red Sox signed him for.

Crawford only had a batting average of .255 with the Red Sox this year. The lowest batting average of his 10 year career. He only scored 64 runs, the lowest amount of runs scored since his rookie season. 103 strike outs, the 3rd highest of his career. Only 18 stolen bases, the lowest amount of stolen bases since his rookie season. He's been thrown out trying to steal 6 times... Proof that he's losing his overall speed/acceleration at the age of 30. An on base % of only .290; the lowest since his rookie season.

The Rays knew what they were doing in regards to Crawford. They had Desmond Jennings, a fine young ball player waiting in the wings. The Red Sox got this one wrong. One thing is for sure, the Rays as a franchise has seen the best of Carl Crawford; the Red Sox will enjoy his decline from here on out.

One thing is for sure, the Rays as a franchise has seen the best of Carl Crawford; the Red Sox will enjoy his decline from here on out.

To be fair, the Yankees have been on the wrong end of plenty of those deals, too. Randy Johnson and Kevin Brown spring immediately to mind.

To be fair, the Yankees have been on the wrong end of plenty of those deals, too. Randy Johnson and Kevin Brown spring immediately to mind.

First and foremost, I'm not a Yankees fan and last but not least... Why bring up the Yankees when talking about the fact that Crawford has been an epic bust in Boston?

On a side note. Randy Johnson was aging, but still put up a record of 34-19 with the Yankees. Consecutive 17 win seasons. Since when was that bad? He also averaged 215.1 innings per season during the two years he pitched in New York.

Like I said earlier

It was just as ridiculous earlier.

VMart and Beltre are nice, but they are not worth 130+ million in contracts at the age of 32.

Gonzo is. Crawford, is only one year in to his contract. Let him suck for at least a 2nd season like Lackey.

Since us Yankee fans are apparently obsessed with the Red Sawx why not look at CC this year (not Sabathia, Carl Crawford)

batting average / onbase % / slugging %

total: .255/.292/.401

with RISP: .232/.267/.370

23 walks / 100 strikeouts (ouch)

Vs AL East

NYY: .266/.288/.406

TBR: .224/.255/.286

TOR: .196/.233/.304

BAL: .207/.233/.276

But hey, he has hit well when the Sox are up or down by 4 or more runs: .353/.392/.574

Plus he is stealing base at a much smaller rate than ever before....probably because you can't steal first.

so far he's earned his salary this year

He was a bargain compared spending 31 million on a player who played 99 games with 16 HRs.

Spot on and 90% of Yankee fans and a good part of the front office were pointing to the day the Rays could not afford him so he could be their next left fielder. The thread reaks with hypocritical hindsight.

Spot on and 90% of Yankee fans and a good part of the front office were pointing to the day the Rays could not afford him so he could be their next left fielder. The thread reaks with hypocritical hindsight.

He wasn't spot on, not using Randy Johnson as an example. Randy wasn't great for the Yankees, but he won 34 games during his two year span in NY. Helping NY win 17 games during both seasons.

I'll agree in terms of Carl Crawford. Yankee fans did drool over the thought of Carl Crawford in pin stripes, but then again... Crawford's speed would have at least been useful playing left field in Yankee stadium. In Fenway park? He's a joke. Worst situation possible for Carl Crawford. Too bad Crawford refuses to play any other position, other than left field.

Cashman decided he didn't want him though. So if a fan thought it would be a good signing two years ago and the Yankees GM passed, I think Yankees fans still have a right to gloat.

Maybe they should let Carl Crawford pitch and Lackey can play left field. It is that kind of out of the box thinking that will help the Sox turn this around.

I'll tell you this

Both Beltre and VMart are playing, what are Crawford and Gonzo doing

Who got the better end of those deals??

Cashman decided he didn't want him though. So if a fan thought it would be a good signing two years ago and the Yankees GM passed, I think Yankees fans still have a right to gloat.

I am not sure Cashman "decided he did not want him". Chasing Cliff Lee, the Jeter contract disrespect by both the FO and fanbase along with awaiting Andy's retirement decision meant that he could not throw "blow everyone out of the water" money at him and sign him quickly.

In spring training he said Theo kicked his butt in the off season. Now he says he faked Crawford interest to drive up the price. This from a guy who basically bid against himself for C.C. It worked out well for the Yanks.....so far.

I am not sure Cashman "decided he did not want him". Chasing Cliff Lee, the Jeter contract disrespect by both the FO and fanbase along with awaiting Andy's retirement decision meant that he could not throw "blow everyone out of the water" money at him and sign him quickly.

In spring training he said Theo kicked his butt in the off season. Now he says he faked Crawford interest to drive up the price. This from a guy who basically bid against himself for C.C. It worked out well for the Yanks.....so far.

It is just gamesmanship both sides play.

Cashman said he didn't want him. I trust him lol.

Archived