Sanchez Debate

lancemehl

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geno 12 td, 21 ints. Mark's worst year since his rookie campaign 13 td, 18 int with best year 26 td, 18 int. discuss.

I'm not sure Sanchez would have been as bad as Geno but with this offensive roster Im not sure any QB would have faired well.

I will still stand by my original feeling Sanchez would have been a decent QB with some talent and safety valves around him and would have grown as a QB if the Jets made a real effort to surround him with talent rather than 35 year old bandaids. Sanchez was simply not ready for bandaids he needed to grow with young WR's around him that had talent. Just like an Andy Dalton. You just cant change WR's every year and then OC's and expect a young QB to respond its just not going to happen. The Jets did a really poor job handling Sanchez and Im afraid they are making the same dumb mistakes with Geno.

Not to single out jgb here, but there's a weird phenomenon going on here where the fanbase has talked itself into believing that the Jets are a reeeeeally reeeeeally good team all of a sudden. Listening to WFAN on the way home, you'd think people were talking about a 13-3 team or some sh*t. It's weird, but it's the natural result of diminished expectations, combined with the Giants struggles. Jets fans started the season in the bunker, raging against charges that their team was going to go 2-14, and they're now emerging, waving some victory flag simply because their bunker didn't get nuked. People, the goal is to win titles, not to defy preseason predictions. You should be mad that your team was knocked out of the playoffs three weeks ago. You should be upset about not going to the playoffs for a third straight year. You should be upset that your team gets blown off the field every other week. It should embarrass you that your $8 million dollar receiver only plays when he wants to. You should be upset that your expensive corners can't play. You should be pissed that the starting quarterback play has sucked for five years. Instead, you're celebrating the hope of going .500, and you're desperate to reward the coach who brought you here--the same coach who used to guarantee Super Bowls on a regular basis. I'm embarrassed for you. I really am. What the **** is wrong with you?

Not to single out jgb here, but there's a weird phenomenon going on here where the fanbase has talked itself into believing that the Jets are a reeeeeally reeeeeally good team all of a sudden. Listening to WFAN on the way home, you'd think people were talking about a 13-3 team or some sh*t. It's weird, but it's the natural result of diminished expectations, combined with the Giants struggles. Jets fans started the season in the bunker, raging against charges that their team was going to go 2-14, and they're now emerging, waving some victory flag simply because their bunker didn't get nuked. People, the goal is to win titles, not to defy preseason predictions. You should be mad that your team was knocked out of the playoffs three weeks ago. You should be upset about not going to the playoffs for a third straight year. You should be upset that your team gets blown off the field every other week. It should embarrass you that your $8 million dollar receiver only plays when he wants to. You should be upset that your expensive corners can't play. You should be pissed that the starting quarterback play has sucked for five years. Instead, you're celebrating the hope of going .500, and you're desperate to reward the coach who brought you here--the same coach who used to guarantee Super Bowls on a regular basis. I'm embarrassed for you. I really am. What the **** is wrong with you?

Lowered expectations?

Did you guys even watch how Snachez sucked in preseason? He is a 4 yr vet who maybe outplayed Geno by a c unt hair.

He was still throwing ints to the DL and fumbling and letting the clock run out in the red zone or did you forget?

2 things

It was pre-season wgf...David harris was getting beat up and down the field too if you remember.....some players dont even show up and have probowl years

I beg to differ on c unt hair it was at least as wide as miley cyrus is long 

U and Lucy ought to open up buz together...charge 10c and f**k with that blockhead charlie brown.

yeah that works for me very smart  we could have a QB that somebody else wants

We could? Lets see, the starter we have now was passed over by EVERY team in the draft, and is currently dead last in the NFL rankings, and the guy he replaced has some of the all-time worst numbers for a starting NFL QB.

Do you mean Simms?

We could? Lets see, the starter we have now was passed over by EVERY team in the draft, and is currently dead last in the NFL rankings, and the guy he replaced has some of the all-time worst numbers for a starting NFL QB.

Do you mean Simms?

Simms is a UFA.  Let's hope someone signs him, starts him a few games, finds out he sucks, and nets us a 5th round compensatory pick.

I think our record would be largely the same. Early on Geno won a couple games that Sanchez would not have lost, and there have been a couple that maybe Sanchez would done the opposite. Does not change the fact that as a 4th year starter he was marginally at best better than Geno as a rookie. Plus he is 100% guranteed to get cut so whats the point?

Sanchez was going to have a breakout year I believe. Geno Smith was exactly the motivation Sanchez lacked his first four seasons when all he had to worry about was Brunell and Tebow was just a joke. I think if Sanchez had not been hurt he would have won the QB job and led the Jets to a 10-6 record or better. Yes, Sanchez has looked bad the last two years, but I think he may have finally realized his time was short and would have improved under MM especially.

Sanchez was going to have a breakout year I believe. Geno Smith was exactly the motivation Sanchez lacked his first four seasons when all he had to worry about was Brunell and Tebow was just a joke. I think if Sanchez had not been hurt he would have won the QB job and led the Jets to a 10-6 record or better. Yes, Sanchez has looked bad the last two years, but I think he may have finally realized his time was short and would have improved under MM especially.

LOL.  Dude sucked for 4 years, but the motivation of Geno and Marty Morhinweg were going to save him?  Tell me, in what way is Mark Sanchez a good fit for MM's West Coast Offense?  Last I checked that system requires accurate throws and good decision making, two skills Sanchez has forever lacked and will always lack.  Meanwhile, there was a point this season that Geno was in the top 5 of the NFL in downfield accuracy.  Sanchez can't throw short, intermediary, OR deep passes.

There were zero signs Sanchez was due for a "breakout season".  He looked absolutely awful in preseason, just like always.  This mythical "we'd win 3 more games with Sanchez" argument is completely nonsensical.  We would have very likely done WORSE with him under center. 

Another thought...the Jets fans were sold on the idea from ESPN and the rest of the media that the Jets were in a death spiral...*create the impression of low expectations*...add to that the Giants suck donkey balls this year...*sell the idea that the Jets have a better future*...the Jets overachieve in the won-loss department...*quietly push the narrative that Rex did a masterful job*...Woody Johnson the champion of popular will, calms the masses and keeps Rex for another year...*media applauds decision while secretly relishing how to spin story for maximum profit*...Jets fans rejoice as the Jets continue to dominate the back pages while the Giants quietly build another contender.

LOL.  Dude sucked for 4 years, but the motivation of Geno and Marty Morhinweg were going to save him?  Tell me, in what way is Mark Sanchez a good fit for MM's West Coast Offense?  Last I checked that system requires accurate throws and good decision making, two skills Sanchez has forever lacked and will always lack.  Meanwhile, there was a point this season that Geno was in the top 5 of the NFL in downfield accuracy.  Sanchez can't throw short, intermediary, OR deep passes.

There were zero signs Sanchez was due for a "breakout season".  He looked absolutely awful in preseason, just like always.  This mythical "we'd win 3 more games with Sanchez" argument is completely nonsensical.  We would have very likely done WORSE with him under center. 

Gotta lean on 80s take in this discussion...Sanchez like worse than dogsh*t during the preseason...yes, it would have been nice to have a real veteran QB to relieve Geno when he struggled but to expect anything more than what we saw the last four years is nothing more than wishful thinking.

Yes, motivation was Sanchez's downfall. With every turnover I found myself thinking... "If only he was more motivated to throw the ball to Jets players, none of this would be happening." The only problem I see in your prediction of a breakout year was his poor training camp and preseason. His motivation was still like a 4. But, I guess I understand, preseason is soooo lame, it'd be hard to get your motivation to optimal levels.

Yes, motivation was Sanchez's downfall. With every turnover I found myself thinking... "If only he was more motivated to throw the ball to Jets players, none of this would be happening." The only problem I see in your prediction of a breakout year was his poor training camp and preseason. His motivation was still like a 4. But, I guess I understand, preseason is soooo lame, it'd be hard to get your motivation to optimal levels.

Hey remember when Sanchez said that, to cut down on the turnovers, all you do is "Just stop"?  Good times.

Do you mean Simms?

well every team that passed on him did not need a qb and teams like to have QB that they can put in just in case their #1 gets hurt , like that joke flynn.Geno was the best or 2nd best qb in that draft we used a 2nd big deal money is not much and maybe somebody in the future will give us something for him,or if we draft some talent maybe we can hide his bad side i guess.anyway GQ said we suck

well every team that passed on him did not need a qb and teams like to have QB that they can put in just in case their #1 gets hurt , like that joke flynn.Geno was the best or 2nd best qb in that draft we used a 2nd big deal money is not much and maybe somebody in the future will give us something for him,or if we draft some talent maybe we can hide his bad side i guess.anyway GQ said we suck

I agree, being a 2nd doesnt kill us, and we dont take much of a hit, if we do unload him. I coulfd see him being a very serviceable backup, for us or someone else, but a bonafide NFL staring QB? I highly doubt it.

Yeah, Geno better than Sanchez "that part is impressive". Wow, we dont set the bar high as Jet fans do we?

The context of the thread was would the Jets have made the playoffs with Sanchez.  I answered that post.

The playoffs are not the goal a Super Bowl is the goal.  So I have the bar set pretty high, since all I care about it them winning the Super Bowl.

All joking aside, you bring up a really good point.  I, and others, felt like Sanchez would have had his best season under Marty (yes his best still wouldn't have been good enough so please spare the the responses about that).

Anyhow based on what Mark did in the pre-season this is ALL speculation.  Because he didn't go out and put any doubts to rest.  Which is why I think it is a joke that people blast Rex for playing Mark behind a backup offense line.  This isn't Peyton Manning he put out there.

Mark could have won the job before that, he didn't.

I agree, being a 2nd doesnt kill us, and we dont take much of a hit, if we do unload him. I coulfd see him being a very serviceable backup, for us or someone else, but a bonafide NFL staring QB? I highly doubt it.

well the sad part of it is only time will tell i hope he becomes great   the jets need this and us fans do also

The context of the thread was would the Jets have made the playoffs with Sanchez.  I answered that post.

The playoffs are not the goal a Super Bowl is the goal.  So I have the bar set pretty high, since all I care about it them winning the Super Bowl.

OK, but was Geno really more "impressive than Sanchez"? From what I saw, he was remarkably similar to Sanchez, from a Jet fans perspective, that is very disturbing.

Archived