Positive \ Negative Rep vs "Like"

Maxman

Positive\Negative Rep or "Like" System?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer?

• Positive \ Negative Rep Option
    • Like System

When we upgraded to the latest version of IPB we installed their new "Like" system. That allows you to click like on any post and your name is displayed after you do.

Give us some feedback, would you prefer that system or the one that I just activated: Positive \ Negative Rep? You can't leave comments, that has been requested in the past, but let us know which one you prefer.

Majority decides -- pick an option in the poll, thanks.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I took negative rep away awhile back after that one dude made a death threat on it. But we used to be big believers in letting the community police itself and the + / - is a good way to take the pulse. As long as BP isn't orchestrating neg rep bombs anymore.

I know I took negative rep away awhile back after that one dude made a death threat on it. But we used to be big believers in letting the community police itself and the + / - is a good way to take the pulse. As long as BP isn't orchestrating neg rep bombs anymore.

Do we still have daily rep limits?

Death threat over getting a negative for a post? Damn.

I like +/-. I really like rep commentary, but its o.k. that you cant get that back, I'll still post here.

Death threat over getting a negative for a post? Damn.

I like +/-. I really like rep commentary, but its o.k. that you cant get that back, I'll still post here.

Why don't you take a break while we try to sort it out. Should only take two years or so, haha.

Are you saying that people who vote on the other side are idiots? :winking0001:

Not at all. Just saying I feel I know the JN community so well, that I'm confident most people appreciate having the ability to give a sh*tty post neg rep.

Why don't you take a break while we try to sort it out. Should only take two years or so, haha.

Are you trying to tell me something? You know, you take me for granted. Maybe I should take you up on that idea just to show you what this place would be like with out me around.

Not at all. Just saying I feel I know the JN community so well, that I'm confident most people appreciate having the ability to give a shitty post neg rep.

Are you trying to tell me something? You know, you take me for granted. Maybe I should take you up on that idea just to show you what this place would be like with out me around.

You know that I care deeply.

The only problem I see with a negative rep system, is for example, say "x" poster doesn't like "y" poster, for whatever reason... Even when "Y" poster creates an excellent post, "X" will still give a negative rep, all because of some type of silly internet hatred for "y" poster. The only thing a negative rep system can do, is create even more negativity on a fun message board.

I could be wrong, just my thoughts.

The only problem I see with a negative rep system, is for example, say "x" poster doesn't like "y" poster, for whatever reason... Even when "Y" poster creates an excellent post, "X" will still give a negative rep, all because of some type of silly internet hatred for "y" poster. The only thing a negative rep system can do, is create even more negativity on a fun message board.

+

So, so, so tempted to hit the neg rep button for this one.

So, so, so tempted to hit the neg rep button for this one.

All because we have different views and opinions on a certain situation? This is exactly how a negative rep system has it's flaws. This is only one example I'm using. I gave the best input I could give, but at the same time, could still get hit with negative rep after negative rep. Nice to know.

God forbid someone has something positive to say about Mark Sanchez, the Sanchez harpers will come out in full force, hitting the negative rep button like never before. Or vice-versa. No, not because you were a negative prick during a post/thread; but because you have a different opinion from one another.

Both setups we ok by me, but I voted for the pos/neg rep option.

Although, the ability to leave an attatched comment is a must have for either in my opinion.

Just spent some time looking for that...still don't see it. The good news is several sites have requested it. Doesn't help us today but hopefully it makes it in eventually. Thanks.

What's the purpose of neg rep anyway? The truth is the truth, regardless if somebody likes it or not. When Galileo said the earth went around the sun, I 'll bet he would have been neg repped to death.

That makes no sense. The internet wasn't even around back then.

Archived