****The Official Gameday Thread: New York Jets @ Oakland Raiders****

JetsFanFromQueens

Sunday - 4:05 PM - CBS - From "The Black Hole"

• New York Jets: (2-0)
  • @
  • Oakland Raiders: (1-1)

Jets begin their longest regular-season road trip since 1982 in Oakland

(By Associated Press: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011092508/2011/REG3/jets@raiders#menu=gameinfo&tab=preview&preview=fullstory)

The New York Jets have gotten used to road trips under coach Rex Ryan, though they usually come much later in the season.

New York begins a stretch of three straight road games Sunday when it faces the Oakland Raiders, who are coming off a demoralizing defeat.

The Jets are 2-0 for the fifth consecutive season, winning both at home after a 32-3 rout of Jacksonville last week. New York hasn't played three straight road games in the regular season since 1982, though Ryan's teams have done so in reaching back-to-back AFC championship games.

The Jets are 11-5 on the road in the regular season under Ryan, and 4-2 in the playoffs. "We're not intimidated by any surroundings that we go into," Ryan said.

Following this trip to Oakland, the Jets travel to Baltimore before an AFC East showdown with New England. Each contest presents a different challenge, but they are taking the trip step by step.

"We've just got to focus on Oakland, and that's it," cornerback Antonio Cromartie said. "We have to make sure we come in and prepare for what we need to throughout the entire week and get ready for a long trip."

They'll be facing a Raiders team coming off an emotional 38-35 loss in Buffalo last week in which it allowed touchdowns on each of the five Bills' second-half drives.

Oakland (1-1) gave up the game-winning touchdown on fourth down, when a defensive breakdown left Bills receiver David Nelson wide open in the end zone with 14 seconds to play.

"Any time you lose, especially in that fashion, it's very disappointing," defensive tackle Richard Seymour said. "But one game doesn't make the season. You move forward. I've been in many games in my career, and that's one of the most heartbreaking ones I've had. You move forward, and you've got to get better as a team."

The challenge will be improving a defense which allowed 223 rushing yards and 481 overall. The Raiders ranked sixth in the AFC allowing 322.8 yards per game in 2010, but are 25th in the NFL this season, giving up an average of 395.5 yards.

"You can't take a play off, you can't take an opportunity off, you have to finish everything you do," coach Hugh Jackson said. "It's tough in the NFL. We have a good group of men in that locker room who, hopefully, have learned a very valuable lesson that we can learn from this and move forward."

Oakland ranks 27th in the league allowing 127.5 yards on the ground, which may bode well for the Jets' struggling running game. New York has run for 146 yards in its first two games combined, its lowest total through the first two weeks since 2007. Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson together are averaging 2.7 yards per carry.

Making matters worse, All-Pro center Nick Mangold suffered a high ankle sprain against the Jaguars, and Ryan called his status "very iffy."

In the last meeting with the Raiders -- a 38-0 victory Oct. 25, 2009 -- New York ran 54 times for 316 yards and Mark Sanchez went 9 for 16 for 143 passing. Though Ryan keeps saying he'd like to get the running game going, it's doubtful he could have that sort of imbalance again. "I thought (the running game) was slightly better (versus Jacksonville), but I'm not concerned with that," guard Brandon Moore said. "That'll get better as the season goes. We'll be OK."

Running the ball hasn't been a problem for Oakland with Darren McFadden handling the load. He's averaging 111.0 yards after his breakout season in 2010, and he also leads the team with eight receptions. The Jets defense, however, has allowed only one 100-yard rusher -- Chicago's Matt Forte on Dec. 26 -- in the last 25 games.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again; Darren McFadden is one of the most exciting players in this league, bar none," Jackson said. "There's greatness in Darren, and I expect him to play that way as the season goes."

New York has won four of the last five meetings.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

J-E-T-S

Jets!

Jets!!

Jets!!!

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screw injuries Colin Baxter will be fine for us. Who cares how you feel about Sanchez for 4 hours we are all on the same side hoping for the Jets victory. Let's show those Oakland Raiders we don't give a crap that they resemble a some what competent team now and most importantly lets end the game with this glorious image gracing our screens again...

J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

I think this might be my single favorite thing about Rex Ryan. I am not relegated to praying for a magical season. To dreaming that everything will go right and we will somehow have a chance. We are the favorites and we are going to **** up every team that stands in our way. It keeps me from obsessing about whether the person that starts the game thread is a mush or used the wrong number of asterisks..

"I've said it before and I'll say it again; Darren McFadden is one of the most exciting players in this league' date=' bar none," Jackson said. [/quote']

Hue channelling Yogi Berra. Love it. Too bad the AP can't spell his name right (or maybe we should just blame his parents).

Screw injuries Colin Baxter will be fine for us. Who cares how you feel about Sanchez for 4 hours we are all on the same side hoping for the Jets victory. Let's show those Oakland Raiders we don't give a crap that they resemble a some what competent team now and most importantly lets end the game with this glorious image gracing our screens again...

J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

Iceman... you can be my wing-man any time. So long as you bring the wings! ;)

The Jets have done a lot of innovation in their time - mostly, they have innovated new ways to lose. But this week, no, this week they have a brand new innovation - the disfavored favorite. I can't recall a Jets game like this before, one where we have the line but yet, seemingly every expert is picking against us - outright. (Not to fail to cover the spread, but to actually lose)

The Jets have done a lot of innovation in their time - mostly, they have innovated new ways to lose. But this week, no, this week they have a brand new innovation - the disfavored favorite. I can't recall a Jets game like this before, one where we have the line but yet, seemingly every expert is picking against us - outright. (Not to fail to cover the spread, but to actually lose)

LOL -- but it will be nice when they win. 3 and 0 is going to feel good. Then everyone can pick Baltimore to win next week as well....

The key to winning this game, on the defensive side of the ball, is by eliminating Darren McFadden. Swarm the run, keep McFadden under 65 yards rushing and 85 all-purpose yards, and we'll blow this Raiders team out of Oakland.

McFadden has put up 42 carries, 222 rushing yards, 5.28 yards per carry, 1 rushing TD, to go along with 8 receptions, 77 receiving yards and 1 receiving TD over the past two weeks. That's an average of 21 rushes, 111 rushing yards, 4 receptions, 38.5 receiving yards and 1 overall TD per game.

But I'm sorry Raider fans, we aren't featuring laughing stock D's of the Bills and Broncos; we'll keep McFadden in check, and once that happens? It's over for Jason Campbell and the Raiders offense. Campbell may have a QB rating of 99.7 on the year, but up against this Jets defense? I wouldn't be shocked to see us keep him under a QB rating of 60 today.

As long as we can contain McFadden, this game won't be close.

Jets inactives: QB Kevin O'Connell, WR Logan Payne, S Emanuel Cook, RB Bilal Powell, C Nick Mangold, OL Rob Turner, DT Kenrick Ellis.

OAK inactives: WRs Jacoby Ford, Louis Murphy and Nick Miller, CB DeMarcus VanDyke, S Mike Mitchell, T Stephon Heyer, TE David Ausberry.

I guess we're never going to see Kenrick Ellis play during his rookie season, ahah, but yeah, I trust in Rex Ryan; especially when it comes down to the defensive line. If he's not ready yet, he's just not ready.

Lets get PUMPED UP for this Jets-Raiders game baby!

Could we have ASKED for a better start to our football Sunday?!?

The Dolphins drop to 0-3.

The Saints are on the verge of beating the Texans.

The Jaguars lost to the Panthers and dropped to 1-2.

And the Bills are giving the Patriots all they can handle!!!

Yes, a Bills win over NE would become AMAZING, but you know what? This has ALREADY been a great NFL Sunday. Jets winning is all that matters.

Archived