Can't blame Sanchez for this loss..

Latinlawyer

No, its not. The argument made here and on the Jets postgame show is that the INT changed momentim and prevented the Jets from putting them away. At 7-7 its hard to make that argument. The Jets still put up a big lead after that.

What the interception did was not allow those late scores to put the game away. If Sanchez doesnt do that I think the 13 or 17 point lead is probably a killer. Really the bigger play was the Mulligan drop in the end zone. He has to catch that. Holding the Jets to a FG was big for Oakland. I also thought they made a personnel mistake there. This was the one point in the game where Greene was running really well, but they replaced him with Tomlinson mainly because I think the Jets wanted to get LT a TD on the ground and put him in the goalline package. Tomlinson did get a big run on 1st down but I thought that was where you bring Greene back in.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last one is only the wrong call if you think there is any realistic chance that the Jets march 60 yards in about 25-30 seconds (at best) with no timeouts. The only realistic shot they had was scoring from the 2, then recovering an onside kick, then moving the ball 30 yards in 40-45 seconds. You are getting caught up in the fact that we needed 2 scores without any consideration to the likelihood of getting 2 scores. A 19-yard FG is a slam-dunk. Moving 60 yards in 25-30 seconds is only a chance on paper. In reality it has almost no chance.

If the Jets actually ran the FG unit on the field they would have probably had about 40 seconds left after the kick. It took them about 30 seconds to get to the Oakland 9 from their own 40 on the last drive so I dont think its impossible. Scoring in the red zone may be, though. I just dont get why the offense stalls so badly inside the 10.

The Jets D gave up 34 points to the Raiders. I'm sure there will lots of opportunities to beat up Sanchez. Today wasn't one of them.

The way the OL is playing Sanchez won't finish the season, so I guess everyone should start preparing their, "We hate Brunell rants now"

If the Jets actually ran the FG unit on the field they would have probably had about 40 seconds left after the kick. It took them about 30 seconds to get to the Oakland 9 from their own 40 on the last drive so I dont think its impossible. Scoring in the red zone may be, though. I just dont get why the offense stalls so badly inside the 10.

I don't know that they get set up that fast. And getting to the 9 isn't nearly as difficult as getting into the endzone, as we just found out.

What was maddening is the way we were still calling running plays and short passes over the middle on the prior drive. Reminded me of NE in the playoffs, acting like there was all the time in the world. Yeah we got the TD, but we're playing against Oakland and against the clock. Schottenheimer called plays like we were only playing against the former.

The Jets D gave up 34 points to the Raiders. I'm sure there will lots of opportunities to beat up Sanchez. Today wasn't one of them.

The way the OL is playing Sanchez won't finish the season, so I guess everyone should start preparing their, "We hate Brunell rants now"

I don't think there is much argument that, while there were many contributors, the defense lost the game more. I wouldn't credit them for the full 34, though, as Cromartie handed Oakland at least 3 of their last 7 points on that botched return. Even if they held Oakland to a FG they still played lousy except for a brief period in the first quarter (after Oakland's first TD that is).

I don't know that they get set up that fast. And getting to the 9 isn't nearly as difficult as getting into the endzone, as we just found out.

What was maddening is the way we were still calling running plays and short passes over the middle on the prior drive. Reminded me of NE in the playoffs, acting like there was all the time in the world. Yeah we got the TD, but we're playing against Oakland and against the clock. Schottenheimer called plays like we were only playing against the former.

My only reason for assuming they would get the play off that quick is the fact that they did get the play off at 52 seconds on offense and the offense was not exactly speeding things up there. At first it looked like Sanchez was calling for a spike and then realized it was 4th and called a play. It was chaotic. So I cant see the FG taking that much more time. The onside kick should take almost no time at all since the clock wont start until contact with the ball and usually those are fast plays unless the ball bounces all over which is rare. That whole sequence was strange. It was like they felt a TD won the game rather than thinking all it did was extend the game an extra down.

As for the time management I was saying the same thing watching it. Its like the Jets have a built in strategy regardless of the clock that the hurry up can not be used until the clock goes under 4 minutes or something like that.

My only reason for assuming they would get the play off that quick is the fact that they did get the play off at 52 seconds on offense and the offense was not exactly speeding things up there. At first it looked like Sanchez was calling for a spike and then realized it was 4th and called a play. It was chaotic. So I cant see the FG taking that much more time. The onside kick should take almost no time at all since the clock wont start until contact with the ball and usually those are fast plays unless the ball bounces all over which is rare. That whole sequence was strange. It was like they felt a TD won the game rather than thinking all it did was extend the game an extra down.

As for the time management I was saying the same thing watching it. Its like the Jets have a built in strategy regardless of the clock that the hurry up can not be used until the clock goes under 4 minutes or something like that.

You can rush Folk up there only so fast. He's not exactly Mr. Automatic to begin with and needs as much time as he needs, even for a 25-30 yarder. We've seen him miss stupidly easy kicks without being rushed.

Even with all the awfulness all game long, we were still in it with plenty of time (4 minutes) remaining if Pace doesn't hold McFadden. That one was brutal.

Brunell: 37.5%

i honestly think mcelroy could be good if we gave him a shot. Just because he was a late draft pick doesn't automatically make him a bad qb

That's nice.

However, it reeks like residual Jets homer optimism about the backup QB who showed a little sumpin sumpin in the preseason being the next Joe Willie.

Sanchez is the guy.

Right now, he is not being put in position to win. Ask Brady where he'd be in his career without his offensive line and coaches devising game plans to exploit opponents weaknesses. Period.

The Raiders have one weapon, Rex couldn't stop him.

The Raiders have a terrible pass D, Schotty couldn't keep Sanchez upright long enough to attack it.

Add in some boneheaded play because the team was pressing when they realize the Raiders were exposing them as frauds... and there you go.

And he has run that kind of la di da offense in exactly that kind of scoreboard situation in the 4th quarter forever. I don't understand it. He lucked out week 1 when Romo screwed the pooch. But he does it all the time.Schotty is calling his plays, scorebard, clock and timeout situation be damned. And who exaclty is fooled with play action, unless you're dumb enough to do it. Yoh lose either a reciever or a blocker for no real advtange; the defense KNOWS you ahve to pass.

The way the OL is playing I wonder if there is a chance of McElroy being back.

P.S: Forget it. McElroy is on IR!

Yes, that INT certainly was bad. But guess what? Sanchez still led the team to 17 more points after that (2 TD passes & FG) and led them to a 17-7 lead until the wheels fell off the defense.

It's remarkable how people ignore that Sanchez is better in essentially every statistical category. People like to extrapolate the negative (projected 21 INTs) while ignoring the positive (projected 32 TDs).

But consider this--48.

What's that? The projected number of times Sanchez will be sacked this year. Last year Sanchez was sacked 27 times and 26 the year before.

So Sanchez is on pace to be sacked about TWICE as many times as he was last year.

Yes, that INT certainly was bad. But guess what? Sanchez still led the team to 17 more points after that (2 TD passes & FG) and led them to a 17-7 lead until the wheels fell off the defense.

It's remarkable how people ignore that Sanchez is better in essentially every statistical category. People like to extrapolate the negative (projected 21 INTs) while ignoring the positive (projected 32 TDs).

But consider this--48.

What's that? The projected number of times Sanchez will be sacked this year. Last year Sanchez was sacked 27 times and 26 the year before.

So Sanchez is on pace to be sacked about TWICE as many times as he was last year.

But he's still making the same bad plays, it doesn't matter if he's making them at a lesser rate apparently or if he's making his good plays at a higher rate.

Apparently.

Even with all the awfulness all game long, we were still in it with plenty of time (4 minutes) remaining if Pace doesn't hold McFadden. That one was brutal.

That play hurt especially since you saw it play out on TV. The whole defense just didnt have their act together and never played as a team. All I can assume is that Pace had no idea whose assignment McFadden was and was afraid it was his so he just held him up. Right now I think the Jets were affected moreso by the lockout than these other teams with a decent defense. The Jets dont have great players other than Revis. They rely so heavily on scheme and alot of that scheme comes in the offseason workouts. Plus there are only so many new wrinkles you can bring in on defense. The 2010 defense was not as good as the 2009 version because teams went to work on the Jets in the offseason. Right now it looks like the 2011 version is way way way worse than the 2010 version. Thats a really bad sign for a team with an inconsistent QB and an awful offensive line.

So what, it hit him right between his numbers.

It hit him in the numbers but that isn't where it was going. That's so what. I don't blame the loss completely on Sanchez, but he had a sh*tload of balls tipped and that INT was inexcusable. He deserves his share of the blame. Sometimes tips can be blamed on the OLine, but with that many the QB should take some blame.

Oh and if Pace didn't hold on that play it wouldn't have been 3rd and 8 because that ball would have been completed and probably been a 1st anyway.

The Jets defense is big and slow. It has trouble with speed and they kept losing contain.

It's remarkable how people ignore that Sanchez is better in essentially every statistical category.

I don't think anyone ignores this. Sanchez is better in essentially every statistical category. The problem being that previously he was as bad as you can get, and now he's just not as bad as that. That's essentially the level of improvement we're talking about here. Very bad to just bad.

It hit him in the numbers but that isn't where it was going. That's so what. I don't blame the loss completely on Sanchez, but he had a sh*tload of balls tipped and that INT was inexcusable. He deserves his share of the blame. Sometimes tips can be blamed on the OLine, but with that many the QB should take some blame.

I understand this Dom, but he still should have caught that.

And he has run that kind of la di da offense in exactly that kind of scoreboard situation in the 4th quarter forever. I don't understand it. He lucked out week 1 when Romo screwed the pooch. But he does it all the time.Schotty is calling his plays, scorebard, clock and timeout situation be damned. And who exaclty is fooled with play action, unless you're dumb enough to do it. Yoh lose either a reciever or a blocker for no real advtange; the defense KNOWS you ahve to pass.

He clearly doesn't have plays planned out in advance properly. Scripted plays at the start of the game (or half) I'm not a huge fan of, but it seems he's either running scripted plays or coming up with something in the 10-15 seconds after the prior play ended, with the game clock ticking down. I've seen too many instances with Sanchez (or QB's before him) with their arms in the air pantomiming the international symbol for "I don't know" while waiting for a play to get called in.

BS needs to know what he's going to call, in advance, depending on the result of the current play. While chains are being moved or the ball is being set down by the ref BS should be relaying the next play in. It almost seems as though he doesn't start to think about his next play until the ref puts the ball into position (unless the next play is a spike). Maybe other OC's can do that but BS simply doesn't get the play in fast enough to do that. We're in no-huddle and still taking upwards of 30 seconds of game clock to get a play off.

The one exception was the fake spike to Plaxico. Every other time it seemed, even in no-huddle, Sanchez is looking at Schottenheimer, waiting for a play, while we lose precious seconds we couldn't afford to lose. Too often he was taking 30 seconds to come up with one clock-eating play after another, each with minimal chance of big yardage, when we're losing and battling the clock.

Archived