Can't blame Sanchez for this loss..

Latinlawyer

Its not comforting. It just means that these Qb's dont grow on trees and every team without one is in the same position, so it doesnt really set you back at all. Again, its not like any of the younger QB who hypothetically the Jets could have are that much better than Sanchez.

I find comfort in that at least we know he steps up in the big spots and that I believe he's good enough to win a SB.

Personally I think you have lots of people here who say he could potentially be that. Then there are others who say no, he's not that and he probably won't be that.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't really mean money. I meant having to find a new quarterback all over again.

I dont think it sets you back. I look at being set back from a rookie as investing alot of time in a player and being awful during that time only to remain awful for years and never get any benefit out of it. It gets compounded when the player keeps you from being able to upgrade the talent. There are only a handful of QB's in the league who really become difference makers---Id say from the last 10 years or so its been Manning, Brady, McNabb, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, and Rivers that were drafted by their team and Warner and Brees who were free agent pickups--- and pretty much anyone else we would all be looking to get rid of for various reasons. Some other guys might make that list, but thats it for now. So I just dont see Sanchez as any different than the majority of the NFL.

I do think if the Jets front office and head coach honestly thought that they would have been as good as they were in 2009 they never would have drafted Sanchez. They would have made that trade early for Edwards and done everything in their power to bring Favre back. If Favre would have been willing to come back the Jets would have won the Super Bowl that year.

I do think if the Jets front office and head coach honestly thought that they would have been as good as they were in 2009 they never would have drafted Sanchez.

That's fair, but even if they didn't know they were going to be that good they were negligent if they didn't realize that the team was peaking. So this is basically saying that our best shot still wasn't good enough to bother with a real quarterback. Worst part is that might actually be true considering that he's actually been good in the playoffs. **** this ******* team.

OK, hypothetical fun-time!

The Seahawks land the first overall pick. Pete Carroll calls you and says he'll give you that pick for Mark Sanchez, and you'd end up with Andrew Luck.

Any takers?

A few years ago probably not since the player would cost 60 million or so, but now with the cost around 20 Id say you would do it contingent on Sanchez just remaining status quo this year. The NFL is always about the neverending search to find a great QB. Unless you have one of those handful of players I mentioned above you have to take the gamble and try to upgrade the position.

The Seahawks land the first overall pick. Pete Carroll calls you and says he'll give you that pick for Mark Sanchez, and you'd end up with Andrew Luck.

Any takers?

I would make the deal, but I doubt Tanny and Rex would do it. You can see their strategy--ascending QB and core players in their primes. With Luck it would be ascending QB and core players past their prime.

What would be interesting if a team like the Rams get the No. 1 pick. Would they pass on Luck for Bradford? Could their GM sleep at night faced with that decision?

Any takers?

My broke a$$ would pay for Sanchez's flight.

It won't happen simply because of the hours, money, and more hours invested in Sanchez, but I have a man crush on Andrew Luck. He's not quite as badass as pre-shoulder injury Sam Bradford, but he also hasn't had his shoulder wrecked and rebuilt. It'd be cool to have a QB who can move despite being tall and heavy.

My broke a$$ would pay for Sanchez's flight.

It won't happen simply because of the hours, money, and more hours invested in Sanchez, but I have a man crush on Andrew Luck. He's not quite as badass as pre-shoulder injury Sam Bradford, but he also hasn't had his shoulder wrecked and rebuilt. It'd be cool to have a QB who can move despite being tall and heavy.

Luck is like Big Ben without the stupid INTs and multiple rape allegations.

I'm well aware of that. I know 3 games is a small sample size although it's about 1/5 of the season. We'll see where his number lie later on, but again, his completion % (the main thing everyone bitched about last year) is getting better. Baltimore's a good defensive team, so we'll see how it goes then. Alls I'm saying is he's heading the right way, especially in completion %. If he keeps it up we'll be good, and it's hard evidence that you can't blame Sanchez for this loss, as the title name suggests.

The completion percentage over 3 games this year is only proof of improvement if you think prior to 2011 he played 1/3 of his games against weak Jacksonville-types and 2/3 of his games against weak secondaries showing soft zone defense to prevent quick-strike 50-yard plays.

Five automatic first downs by pass interference or defensive holding, plus a fumbled kickoff, plus surrendering 220+ yard rushing? I haven't seen anyone pin this loss on Sanchez despite how many here feel they've needed to make some argument against it.

The completion percentage over 3 games this year is only proof of improvement if you think prior to 2011 he played 1/3 of his games against weak Jacksonville-types and 2/3 of his games against weak secondaries showing soft zone defense to prevent quick-strike 50-yard plays.

Five automatic first downs by pass interference or defensive holding, plus a fumbled kickoff, plus surrendering 220+ yard rushing? I haven't seen anyone pin this loss on Sanchez despite how many here feel they've needed to make some argument against it.

I was just agreeing with the thread title. Like i said, if he keeps it up, he will be miles better this year. If he doesn't, then hey, I was wrong. So far he's looked decent, but this game against the Ravens will be a sort of measuring stick for him. If he's still in the same place statwise next week and we come away with the win, I feel he'll be THAT GUY for us this season. It's still early, like you mentioned, but so far so good. I wouldn't call Oakland's defense a pushover, our receivers couldn't get open almost the entire 2nd half. The cowboys as well. Both of those teams came with very good defensive gameplans against us, however. In the Cowboys game we adjusted a little bit better, in Oakland we did not.

Archived