Jets Place Cumberland, Turner On IR; Rex Addresses Defensive Issues, Namath

JetNation

helmet.gif

Cumberland placed on IR- Tight end Jeff Cumberland tore his ACL on Sunday and will be placed on injured reserve.  This injury leaves the Jets a bit thin at tight end with Matthew Mulligan backing up Dustin Keller and it would not be surprising to see the team sign a free agent.  In the meantime Josh Baker will be elevated from the practice squad.

Turner to the IR- According to several media outlets the Jets will be placing offensive lineman Robert Turner on the IR.  The Jets were initially hoping that Turner could return by mid-season, so this is a huge blow to the offensive line in terms of depth.  Look for Gang Green to sign a veteran lineman or possibly two to add much needed depth to the line.

Rex addresses defensive issues- On Monday New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan addressed the defensive issues his team had on Sunday.  Here are some of Rex’s quotes courtesy of the Jets.

“Obviously, we want to get that game behind us, but we have to learn from it. What we said yesterday basically holds true. You look at the tape, that old saying, ‘It’s never as bad as you think it is, it’s never as good as you think it is.’ That holds true in this game. We did a lot of good things on defense, I mean there were five three-and outs, things like that. But the thing that really hurt us was we never set the edge. We talked about that, and when you play against an explosive player like (Darren) McFadden, that’s the number one thing you have to do. And so I think that was the biggest disappointment. Obviously he ripped us for that 70-yard touchdown run. He had a broken play where he goes for 30 (yards). They run a reverse, we have three guys there and don’t get him on the ground. So, overall it was not up to our standards by any stretch, and quite honestly there’s only one other time I can remember a game like that happening to me, and (I’ve) coached, what, 15 years in the NFL? So it doesn’t sit too well with me or anybody in this organization and the good news is we get to play Sunday.”

On if he is concerned about his defense…

“No. Like I say, it’s a long season. We’re certainly not starting off with a bang, but I have confidence that we’ll get it fixed.”

On Hue Jackson wanting to ‘bully the bully’ and if the Jets don’t have an ‘edge’ this year…

” I don’t think so. They got around the perimeter a bunch on us. (They) tried a throwback pass, we covered it and the guy outran us for 30 yards. (They) ran a reverse. I hardly think that’s really bullying us. And you know what? Maybe we’ll get a chance to play them again. I hope so.”

On why they replaced Cromartie with Donald Strickland and not Kyle Wilson…

“First off, Kyle, he had some cramps and things, so he was actually out of the game for a little bit. He came back, but at one time, we were like, ‘Ok,’ looking around. It was one of those deals. We’ll see. Strick (Strickland) is an excellent player. That’s why we brought him back. He knows our system. He’s tough, he’s competitive and we can do a lot worse than Donald Strickland.”

My take: Sunday’s defensive performance was pathetic but you have to give Rex the benefit of the doubt that he will get things cleaned up.  Rex Ryan is one of the best defensive minds in the game and I am not buying into the notion that team’s have figured out his schemes.  The Jets played a clunker, nothing more, nothing less.

Rex responds to Namath- On Monday Rex Ryan responded to Joe Namath’s comments that Gang Green was overconfident and lacked preparation.

On whether you can make players overconfident…

“The great thing is I’m confident with our football team. There’s no question about it. I’ve told you this many times, I’ve never gone into a game I didn’t think I’d win. (I) haven’t won them all, but I certainly think we can and will. I’m not going to change who I am because Joe Namath said something. Namath can come in here, and if he can still throw, we’ll have him as a backup quarterback, but you know what? He doesn’t know our team. He’s on the outside. Even though he’s a Jet, and once you’re a Jet, you’re always a Jet, but he’s on the outside. He’s not in these meetings. I think if he was, he’d be shocked with the preparation.”

On Joe Namath questioning the team’s preparation…

“I welcome him to come out here and watch our guys prepare. He’d see a team that, in my opinion, prepares as well as any team I’ve been around. I disagree with him.”

My take: I think it is way too early to be pressing the panic button.  Yes this was a horrible performance by the Jets, but it is only week 3.  The landscape of the NFL changes on a weekly basis and I expect Gang Green to bounce back strong and put up a big time effort against the Ravens.

di</img>di</img>

vxyxLZ7Efww

View the full article

Rex sounded like an idiot with his schoolyard "let him come out here" responses to Namath's comments... someone get the guy a GPS, and pre-program it with the route to the high road.

Love Rex, but less soundbytes, more results - please, thanks.

Rex sounded like an idiot with his schoolyard "let him come out here" responses to Namath's comments... someone get the guy a GPS, and pre-program it with the route to the high road.

Love Rex, but less soundbytes, more results - please, thanks.

^^This!

Less talk; more action. But Rex will have a chance to put it all on the line against his former team. His brother came through last night against the Redskins; Rex lead your team through against Edgar Allan Poe's team this week!

Namath's record as Jets starting QB: 60-61-4, .496 win % (2-1 postseason)

Ryan's record as Jets head coach: 22-13, .629 win % (4-2 postseason)

Just saying.

What a very DWC-like point to make. This has nothing to do with any of what I said.

My statement, "less soundbytes, more results" is about Rex not telling us he has the best defense, and instead proving it. His bluster was an essential part of him redefining this team, but its old now... and the team is playing the worst it has in his tenure, specifically the D.

Rex's last 4 games: 1-3

Including a loss in the AFC Championship where the D came out flat and allowed Pittsburgh to go right down the field on the opening drive... we wait a whole offseason, and what happens? Dallas does the same damn thing. The defense hasn't functioned well going back to the AFCC game. My comment has nothing to do with overall track records... I just want him to focus on fixing the D, not sparring with Namath through the media.

He should have come out and said, "I appreciate Joe's point of view, and we're going to fix it." Then moved on.

What a very DWC-like point to make. This has nothing to do with any of what I said.

My statement, "less soundbytes, more results" is about Rex not telling us he has the best defense, and instead proving it. His bluster was an essential part of him redefining this team, but its old now... and the team is playing the worst it has in his tenure, specifically the D.

Including a loss in the AFC Championship where the D came out flat and allowed Pittsburgh to go right down the field on the opening drive... we wait a whole offseason, and what happens? Dallas does the same damn thing. The defense hasn't functioned well going back to the AFCC game. My comment has nothing to do with overall track records... I just want him to focus on fixing the D, not sparring with Namath through the media.

He should have come out and said, "I appreciate Joe's point of view, and we're going to fix it." Then moved on.

Rex has gone 2-2 in his last 4 games.

At the same time "defending" his team like he did is very Rex. I could see the team getting behind their coach with him doing that. Seeing how they bounce back this week will be a good indicator if Rex is pushing the right buttons still.

At the same time "defending" his team like he did is very Rex. I could see the team getting behind their coach with him doing that. Seeing how they bounce back this week will be a good indicator if Rex is pushing the right buttons still.

I have no doubt that Rex is still able to press the right buttons... it comes down to the players letting their buttons be pressed. If they got complacent with being the best in the press clippings, that's a problem.

Only time will tell. I'm just sick of Rex defending these guys, especially when he defends Schotty... sometimes you need to make people accountable, that is my belief.

I have no doubt that Rex is still able to press the right buttons... it comes down to the players letting their buttons be pressed. If they got complacent with being the best in the press clippings, that's a problem.

Only time will tell. I'm just sick of Rex defending these guys, especially when he defends Schotty... sometimes you need to make people accountable, that is my belief.

I'm saying I, as a person, would respond to Rex defending me from a guy like Namath. I probably would get annoyed with some guy who won a SB 300 years ago complaining and to have my head coach tell him to **** off would get me amped to listen to him and play for him. I think that's a big part of the way we assess our coaches, how we personally would respond to them.

He's not going to publicly throw Schotty under the bus. You don't know that he didn't tear Schotty and Callahan a new one after the game. Don't expect him to dump on them to the media. Rex ain't that kind of guy.

I'm saying I, as a person, would respond to Rex defending me from a guy like Namath. I probably would get annoyed with some guy who won a SB 300 years ago complaining and to have my head coach tell him to **** off would get me amped to listen to him and play for him. I think that's a big part of the way we assess our coaches, how we personally would respond to them.

Gotcha.

I think Rex and Namath are working together. Rex uses Namath to challenge the team. Namath goes on air and says the Jets dont prepare and then Rex goes to the team...."we'll show that old drunk"!!!

I know this was said jokingly, but with all of what has been and will be written in the media over the course of this week, Rex really would not have had to look even as far as namath to find a "doubter" to challenge his team with.

Although I will say, the negative press saying that the team isnt preparing well enough is better than the neg press that the team just flat out sucks, that our oline cant run or pass block, and our qb still has tunnel vision... So there's that.

Joe Namath 1-0 record in Superbowls.

Other Jets' QBs?

Ken O'Brien?

Vinny Testaverde?

Richard Todd?

Nuff said!

This is a real slick comment, but it doesnt really tell the truth and you know it.

This is Namath's record throughout his ENTIRE career.

Namath's record as Jets starting QB: 60-61-4, .496 win % (2-1 postseason)

This is what Ryan/Sanchez has done in 2 YEARS!

Ryan's record as Jets head coach: 22-13, .629 win % (4-2 postseason)

You mentioned his SB which he got in I believe his 5th year. Rex/Sanchez in just 2 seasons have been a game away from the dance....twice. Look, I know you were around to see Namath and all but seriously dude, Namath needs to STFU already, lay off the booze and understand that for the most part, us fans that he would consider "youngin's" can really care less about what his gums are poppin.

He needs to have a seat.

“The great thing is I’m confident with our football team. There’s no question about it. I’ve told you this many times, I’ve never gone into a game I didn’t think I’d win. (I) haven’t won them all, but I certainly think we can and will. I’m not going to change who I am because Joe Namath said something. Namath can come in here, and if he can still throw, we’ll have him as a backup quarterback, but you know what? He doesn’t know our team. He’s on the outside. Even though he’s a Jet, and once you’re a Jet, you’re always a Jet, but he’s on the outside. He’s not in these meetings. I think if he was, he’d be shocked with the preparation.”

On Joe Namath questioning the team’s preparation…

“I welcome him to come out here and watch our guys prepare. He’d see a team that, in my opinion, prepares as well as any team I’ve been around. I disagree with him.”

I couldn't agree with Rex more. Namath's comments were a bit silly, considering he isn't consulting, advising or working with the team at all, he honestly doesn't know enough to say that the Jets think they're better than they are. They are confident, but since when has that ever been an issue? Those of you bashing Rex for responding, Rex is going to be himself and he's going to respond, guess what? It doesn't affect our team for him to take 20 seconds of an interview to address the comments that HE WAS QUESTIONED ABOUT. Namath took the low road, by throwing an uninformed cheap shot at the team, instead of talking about how they can improve and Rex was 100% dead on.

Archived