Nevermind: 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

RutgersJetFan

I've been reading articles about Nevermind being a "cultural phenomenon." I think society really, really needs to come together on what "cultural phenomenon" means, exactly. Nirvana was a curiosity who provided a soundtrack for the burgeoning antidepressant-addict community, and they empowered The Gap to start selling flannel shirts for $45.

I've been reading articles about Nevermind being a "cultural phenomenon." I think society really, really needs to come together on what "cultural phenomenon" means, exactly. Nirvana was a curiosity who provided a soundtrack for the burgeoning antidepressant-addict community, and they empowered The Gap to start selling flannel shirts for $45.

Until that time you could buy a decent pair of jeans and a clean collared shirt from the Gap $50 total. Nothing fancy, basic everyday stuff at a reasonable price.

Then the Gap thought they were selling clothes to hipsters and supermodels instead of moms and lumpy middle class graybeard husbands. Since the former doofuses don't shop at the Gap and the later fat suburubanites(like me) weren't overpaying for the new crap, the Gap's market share and stock price went in the toilet.Classic case of a business reinventing tiself to appeal to customers who would never buy their product anyway while ignoring their backbone client customer base.

It's also the 20th anniversary of the album Ten. Which I'd rather listen to than Nevermind. Just personal taste.

That said, I'd also rather listen to the Foo Fighters than Nirvana as well.

I like a few Nirvana songs, but, really, pretty overrated.

And anyone who compares Nevermind with Appetite is crazy.

Nirvana is the Britney Spears of Grunge. Nothing more than an MTV made creation so they could get control of a band and shove it down our throats. AIC, Soundgarden, and alot of others were already on scene and alot better.

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on here.

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on here.

AIC's Man In the Box was on headbanger's ball for at least a year before Nirvana came out. Bleach is Nirvana. Nevermind was Nirvana post MTV and record companies dressing them up and putting lipstick on the pig so they can brand them as they're own and shove it down our throats as if they discovered it.

The whole "grunge" thing exploded when I was in College. Pearl Jam played my College's Spring Fest my freshman year and no one had ever heard of them. They opened for The Alarm or The Fixx, I can't remember (April 1991). 6 months later Nirvana was huge and Pearl Jam wasn't far behind.

Nirvana is OK even though I will never understand the love for Cobain. As some have pointed out, Dave Grohl was by far and away the best musician/songwriter in the band. I like Foo Fighters much more than Nirvana.

Edited by Gainzo

Nobody was better than GNR.
I've heard DUff McKagan interviewed a bunch the last month, since he has a book out. He is from Seattle, and he was seated next to Cobain on the last flight he ever took from LA to Seattle. Neither was clean and sober, yet they politely spoke a great deal about life, their bands, business, all the pitfalls and headaches, and so on. And agreed to get together some time soon.And then...

You think that the music business is some great cookie cutter affair-punk rock over here, grunge over there, hari bands and heavy metal in their pigeonholes. And it's not like that at all.Musicians, anyway, play all kinds of different stuff, though they might get sent to a cubbyholes once their music gets big.It's all kind of the similar stuff, but marketed different. Or it was until recently.

Nirvana is the Britney Spears of Grunge. Nothing more than an MTV made creation so they could get control of a band and shove it down our throats. AIC, Soundgarden, and alot of others were already on scene and alot better.

If I had to metaphorically pick a Britney to Grunge I would probably have gone with Pearl Jam. Nothing against Pearl Jam, super talented and they made some great music but they had a more of a mainstream, poppier sound than the others imo.

Edited by HessStation

The whole "grunge" thing exploded when I was in College. Pearl Jam played my College's Spring Fest my freshman year and no one had ever heard of them. They opened for The Alarm or The Fixx, I can't remember (April 1991). 6 months later Nirvana was huge and Pearl Jam wasn't far behind.

Nirvana is OK even though I will never understand the love for Cobain. As some have pointed out, Dave Grohl was by far and away the best musician/songwriter in the band. I like Foo Fighters much more than Nirvana.

That's basically how I feel. I liked Nirvana and all. Have all their albums whatnot. But I've always been a bigger fan of Foo Fighters tbh.

If I had to metaphorically pick a Britney to Grunge I would probably have gone with Pearl Jam. Nothing against Pearl Jam, super talented and they made some great music but they had a more of a mainstream, poppier sound than the others imo.

Several years ago I read an account on the birth of grunge by some record exec. He said that kids didn't know what they wanted, but they wanted something different so when Nirvana come around they embraced them, but what the kids really wanted was Pearl Jam.