ALDS Predictions Thread

CrazyCarl40

The Rays are without question, the much better team when compared to the Texas Rangers. A team that's been a product of an easy schedule. Put the Rangers inside of the AL East, and they win no more than 83-86 games.

The Rangers beat the Rays 5 out of 9 times this season. Without question.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just said the rays were going to get housed. Now its anything can happen. Ok.

I think the Rays are going to get housed. But I am also certainly aware that anything can happen, especially in October baseball. People make predictions all the time. I'm not sure why you're confused by this.

I think the Rays are going to get housed. But I am also certainly aware that anything can happen, especially in October baseball. People make predictions all the time. I'm not sure why you're confused by this.

Because you're obviously now hedging your bet.

And yet they will still get housed by Texas.

On a side note, you've forgot to mention one important aspect of this Rangers-Rays series; The Rangers no longer have Cliff Lee.

The Rangers may have beat the Rays during a 5 game playoff series last season, but without their ACE of Cliff Lee? They never get past the Rays. Not a chance without Cliff Lee.

Cliff Lee pretty much eliminated the Rays himself. He picked up two of their three wins. (2-0). He pitched 16 innings, including one complete game. He only allowed 2 runs. He pretty much won that series himself. 21 K's/0 walks. Unreal. Lee also dominated a Yankees lineup during the playoffs last season.

As of right now? Cliff Lee is killing it with the Phillies. He's dominating the national league. Thank god he's no longer with Texas.

CJ Wilson is good, he's very good, he's had plenty of success against the Rays in years past, but I'm sorry... He's not a Cliff Lee type of Ace. Not many are. CJ Wilson most definitely isn't. Cliff Lee won games 1 and 5 for Texas last year. That won't be the case for CJ Wilson this year.

If the Rays could go 5 games with Texas last year, with Cliff Lee pitching remarkable... Without Cliff Lee? I can't see this Texas team beating Tampa Bay.

Hahahahaha

The Rays.....Hahahahahaha

Who would have thought heading into September right?

But on a side note, the Phillies, Yankees and Rays are the only 3 teams that's been to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. I'm not sure how Yankee fans see things, or why you find it so "funny", but making the playoffs 3 out of 4 years is quite the accomplishment. Especially for a small markey franchise such as the Rays. We won the AL East both in 2008 and last year. This is the first year we've ever made it into the playoffs as a wildcard team. It's exciting.

They're a nice little story, but their win yesterday reminds me of the win The Jets had against the Colts in "09

They shouldn't even be in the playoffs to tell you the truth

Since when hasn't 91 wins been worthy of the playoffs? The Angels were 2nd place coming out of the west with 86 wins and the Indians were 2nd place out of the Central with 80 wins.

Not one 2nd place team out of the national league had as many wins as 91. I guess the Cards don't deserve to be there either, they "only" won 90 games.

We deserve to be in the playoffs. Lets not act like the Rays never played a huge part in Boston missing the playoffs either. We went 6-1 against the Red Sox during the month of September. Gaining a full 5 games against Boston ourselves.

Don't act like the Yankees rolled over and played dead for Tampa Bay either. Because they didn't.

During the first game, you all played Jeter, Granderson, Cano, A.Rod, Posada, Martin and Gardner. All had at least 3 at bats. Most had 4. During the 2nd game, other than Jeter, every offensive starter played for NY. Granderson, Tex, Swisher and Martin all had 4 at bats. Cano, Posada and Gardner all had 3 at bats. Doesn't sound like a team who "let" the Rays win anything. Colon pitched. He's a starter. Not our problem. The Yankees had TB dead to rights, until the Rays made a comeback against our former closer in Soriano during the bottom of the 7th inning. You all played mostly every starter inside the lineup during all 3 games.

NY may have rested all of their bullpen pitchers during the 3rd game of last night, but then again, the Rays only have a payroll worth 40 million dollars. Even if the Rays lost last nights game, because the Yankees put in Mo... We'd still have a shot at the playoffs with a 1 game playoff against Boston tonight.

Speaking of the 3rd game, the Yankees were up 7-0 because of Jeter, Granderson, Tex, Cano and Swisher all had 3 at bats. Yeah, being down 7-0 heading into the 8th inning, but the Yankees "gave the Rays" that game. You guys also gave Boston a game on the day/night double header, playing nothing but backups during the night game.

To say the Rays "don't deserve to be in the playoffs" after we lost 30 million worth of payroll during the offseason, losing KEY starters such as Crawford(LF), Pena(1B), Bartlett(SS), Garza(SP), Aybar(DH), Navarro(Catcher), Soriano(Closer), our ENTIRE bullpen + Manny (During the season)... Shows how little respect you have for the game of baseball. Not every team can BUY Championships and AL East crowns.

The Rays earned our playoff apperance, only a fool would say otherwise. 91 wins.

Don't act like the Yankees rolled over and played dead for Tampa Bay either. Because they didn't.

They did roll over and played dead

Robertson, Sori or Mo, would have close you out

Had we used our bench, maybe ARod pinch hits

You got lucky, plain and simple. No shame in backing in

Anyone in the playoffs has a chance, including the Rays.

I remember a few years ago, when the lame-a$$ wildcard Tigers were down 3games to the formidable Yankees. How did that turn out?

I'm rooting for the Tigers, and a return of 'The curse of the Gran Torino', but if we can't send the Yankees to the golf course, I hope the Rays do it.

Stop trying to act is if the Rays needed "luck" inorder to beat NY during our 3 game series. During the month of May, these two teams split 1-1 inside the Trop. During the month of July, you all went 2-1 in NY, followed by a 2-2 split inside of the Trop. Both teams split once again, 1-1 in August. Heading into September... The Yankees only held a 6-5 lead after 11 games. Yes, later on in September you all took the series 3 games to 1 in NY, but that doesn't mean you all would have beat us during our last 3 game series inside the Trop. At the end of the year? 9-9 split.

Also, if the Yankees are "so much better" than the Rays... Then please explain why the Rays dominated the Boston Red Sox 12 games to 6 (12-6), but yet, the Yankees got crushed by the same Red Sox team, 6 games to 12 during the regular season. (6-12).

They did roll over and played dead

If the Yankees would have "rolled over and played dead"... Jeter, Granderson, Cano, A-Rod, Tex, Posada, Swisher, Gardner and Martin wouldn't have combined for 71 plate apperances during a 3 game series. The Yankees jumping out to a 2-0 lead during game 1, a 3-2 lead during game 2 with Colon on the mound and a 7-0 lead heading into the 8th inning of game #3 doesn't sound like a team that was "rolling over" for anyone.

Robertson, Sori or Mo, would have close you out

Nothing against Mo, he's the greatest closer of all-time, but I've seen these Rays have plenty of success against Rivera over the years. Since 2008, I've seen Rivera blow 4 saves/games against the Rays. There is no guarantee that Mo would have been able to shut down our lineup during game #3. Sometimes destiny prevails over anything.

And lets not even mention "Soriano". You mean the overrated setup man with an ERA of 4.12, are you kidding me? how can you say "Sori would have closed it out"? You're starting to sound very foolish. Did you not see the Rays offense dominate Soriano during game #2? The Yankees went into the bottom of the 7th inning with a 3-2 lead. How'd that work out for the Yankees? In comes Soriano. 1 inning pitched, 2 walks, 1 hit allowed (which was a HOME RUN), 3 earned runs allowed; and the Rays went on to win by the score of 5-3.

Had we used our bench, maybe ARod pinch hits

Yeah, and I'm sure he "would have" hit his 17th home run of the season during game #3. You mean the same A.Rod that only went 1/4 during game #1 of the series, or the A.Rod with an average of only .276 on the season? Or the same A.Rod who's listed as being day-2-day as of right now? If A.Rod would have came off the bench, chances are, he wouldn't have changed a thing.

You got lucky, plain and simple. No shame in backing in

The Rays won 91 games this year. We don't need "luck" to win a series. We won the AL East back in 2008 over the Yankees and Red Sox. We also took the AL East last year over both the Yankees and Red Sox. This team doesn't need "luck" to win a game and or series; plain and simple. Also, it's kind of hard to "back into the playoffs" when we've won 5 consecutive games heading into postseason play.

Last but not least...The Yankees have a payroll worth $202,689,028. The Rays have a payroll worth only $41,053,571. The Yankees have 161,635,457 more in payroll than what the Rays have. But yet, the Yankees could only finish 6 games ahead of the Rays? You still wanna talk about "luck"? You're lucky the Rays front office doesn't have the type of money that the Yankees front office has, or else we'd win 110+ games each and every year with the best team money could ever dream of buying. You wanna talk about "backing into the playoffs"? Well, the Rays have PLAYED our way into the playoffs win 91 wins. The Yankees and their $200 Million+ payroll can only buy their way into postseason play.

To get back on track... Rays over Rangers. Yankees over Tigers during the ALDS. Rays vs Yankees during the ALCS. We'll see which team want's it more.

Well, the Rays and Rangers are on the verge of starting up the 2011 ALDS. Should be an exciting series. Only 30 minutes until gametime. Everyone should turn to TBS for pre-game coverage.

I can't believe Matt Moore is getting the start today, but I'm excited to see Moore get the nod over Jeff Niemann. The Rangers have absolutely destroyed Jeff Niemann in recent memory. Moore will become the youngest pitcher to ever start a playoff game one, but With Moore? He's an unknown quality. Could be very tough for the Rangers lineup to handle tonight. One thing about Moore? This kid can pitch. He's ranked as the Rays #1 prospect, as well as MLB's #2 overall prospect behind only Bryce Harper. Hopefully our lefty can give this powerful Rangers lineup plenty of fits and struggles.

Last second predictions:

Rays over Rangers in 3 games.

Yankees over Tigers in 4 games.

Phillies over Cards in 4 games.

Diamondbacks over Brewers in 5.

I'll be pulling for the Yankees over the Tigers. Yes, the Yankees are the much better team when compared to Detroit, but if the Rays were to advance to the world series? I'd love for them to go through the greatest sporting franchise of all time; The New York Yankees.

As I was saying... Cliff Lee only allowed 2 runs after 2 games last postseason against the Rays. He won both games. He pretty much won the series himself. Pitched a complete game during game 5 and and went 7 full during the 1st game.

This go around? With CJ Wilson on the mound? 6-0 Rays heading into the bottom of the 3rd inning. CJ Wilson has already thrown over 60 pitches.

Like I stated heading into the series... CJ Wilson is no Cliff Lee. Not many are.

You should send Girardi a fruit basket....this would never have happened had he not layed down

I disagree. You wanna talk about "laying down"? Look at the night game of the double header; that's what you call laying down for the Red Sox. Joe Girardi or the Yankees never layed down for TB. NY had to plan for the playoffs. But they still tried to win all 3 games. Soriano blew a save during game #2. And who cares about the minor league pitchers that played during game 3? The Rays have used 6 rookie pitchers this year. Brandon Gomes, Jeremy Hellickson, Matt Morre and Jake McGee are 4 of the rookie pitchers we're heading into the playoffs with, It's not our fault that those Yankee minor league pitchers suck. Blame your farm system for that lol. The Rays had something to play for. You can't blame a team for sweeping the Yankees to advance to the playoffs. The Rays beat who was on our schedule and ended up with 91 wins. We had home field advantage, the Yankees weren't winning games 1 or 2 regardless of who they sent out.

The Rays won 91 games with a 40 million dollar payroll. The Yankees? 200 Million plus.

The Rays and Yankees split 9-9 during the regular season.

The reason why the Rays made the playoffs and finished only 1 game ahead of Boston? Because we went 12-6 against Boston and 6-1 against the Red Sox during the month of September. We were the reason why Boston missed out. They couldn't beat the Rays.

Keep in mind... This is the same Rays franchise that took out the Yankees and Red Sox for the AL East during 2008 and 2010 (last year).

Tampa Bay Rays go into Texas and shut down the Rangers by a score of 9-0. Like I stated heading into this series, without Cliff Lee? There was no chance Texas could last with this Rays team.

What a pitching performance from our rookie Matt Moore. He just proved to the baseball world, why he's ranked as MLB's #2 overall prospect.

Matt Moore: 7 innings pitched. Only 2 hits allowed (both to Josh Hamilton). 6 K's/2 walks. W.

At the age of only 22, he becomes the youngest pitcher to ever start (and win) game one of a playoff series.

It's only one game JFFQ. No need to get ahead of yourself.

The Rays will have an interesting decision on their hands next season. Trade Shields and promote Moore? Trade Shields and leave Moore in AAA to save his time served.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rays GM was considered in Chi town. Maybe he'll take Tito with him. Francona won't be unemployed for long.

It's only one game JFFQ. No need to get ahead of yourself.

The Rays will have an interesting decision on their hands next season. Trade Shields and promote Moore? Trade Shields and leave Moore in AAA to save his time served.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rays GM was considered in Chi town. Maybe he'll take Tito with him. Francona won't be unemployed for long.

Heading into this series, I thought you said... "Rangers over Rays - The Rays can't hit, the Rangers can". 9-0 says otherwise. Like I made it known heading into this series, the Rays offense has played great during the month of September, and we're full of players who can not only swing the bat, but also put up runs.

This was more than "just" one game. This was a game, where we beat the Rangers ace (CJ Wilson) with a rookie who's only had one career start prior to tonights game. This was a game, where we won on the road, eliminating the Rangers previous home field advantage.

The Rays aren't trading James Shields who's coming off a monster season either. If anything, we'll move Jeff Niemann into the bullpen to promote Matt Moore. David Price, James Shields, Matt Moore, Jeremy Hellickson, Wade Davis. Would make for one hell of a starting rotation. Niemann would improve our bullpen in more ways than one.

And Andrew Friedman isn't going anywhere. He's not leaving the Rays for the Cubs (or White Sox). Sternberg, Friedman and Maddon have built this Rays franchise, and could be on the verge of building a dynasty. Andrew isn't leaving any time soon. Now, as a franchise, we may not have the money to pay players such as Crawford 100 million, but there is no way Sternberg lets Friedman walk; our owner will throw the money to keep our GM. No question about it.

The Rays GM can walk when he wants. He can get the same money or better elsewhere. He'll be a hot commodity soon.

And yes, the Rays will explore trading Shields in offseason. Everyone knows it. It is the way they have to operate. You should know that by now.

And it was just one game. The series is at 1-0.

The Rays GM can walk when he wants. He can get the same money or better elsewhere. He'll be a hot commodity soon.

And yes, the Rays will explore trading Shields in offseason. Everyone knows it. It is the way they have to operate. You should know that by now.

And it was just one game. The series is at 1-0.

Yes, he can walk when he want's... But he's made it known, time and time again; that he loves it here in St.Pete. He's a hot commodity, but then again, he's been a hot commodity. This doesn't change the fact that he's loyal and commited to the Rays. It's not about the money with Andrew, he's been paid very well over the years, and he'll be paid alot more as the years go on by our owner. He's not leaving something that he started.

As far as Shields is concerned... We're not trading him. We'll get him locked up long-term. We have money as a franchise, but during the offseason, it made no sense to pay players such as Crawford and Pena all that money. Trust me, this franchise has money to spend, especially after knocking 30 million off our payroll this past offseason. Shields is getting locked up. He'll be a 30 year old pitcher next season, so we'll get him for a fair price. On a side note, he's not a free agent until 2013. Not something we'll have to worry about THIS offseason. Long story short, he'll be in a Rays uniform for 2012.

Spin City, this dude makes your homerism look infantile.....lol

Spin City, this dude makes your homerism look infantile.....lol

Believing in your team and being confident doesn't mean you're a "homer". The Phillies, Yankees and Rays are the only 3 teams that's been to the playoffs 3 out of the past 4 years. The Rays have also taken the AL East 2 out of the past 4 years. We have a very good ball club and it's something that I'm proud of. I know we can compete during the postseason, because we feature top of the line pitching and defense; which makes me a realist, not a "homer".

Archived