Mark Sanchez vs Chad Pennington career playoff performances

JetsFanFromQueens

Pennington:

2002 vs Colts: 19/25, 222 yards, completion % of 76, 3 TD's/0 INT's. QB rating of 142.0. Jets won 41-0.

02' @ Raiders: 21/47, 183 yards, completion % of 44.7, 1 TD/2 INT's. QB rating of 44.9. Jets lost 10-30.

2004 @ Chargers: 23/33, 279 yards, completion % of 69.7, 2 TD's/0 INT's. QB rating of 115.6. Jets won 20-17.

2004 @ Steelers: 21/33, 182 yards, completion % of 63.6, 0 TD's/1 INT. QB rating of 65.5. Jets lost 17-20.

2006 @ Patriots: 23/40, 300 yards, completion % of 57.5, 1 TD/1 INT. QB rating of 79.2. Jets lost 16-37.

2008 @ Ravens (With MIA): 25/38, 252 yards, 65.8%, 1 TD/4 INT's. QB rating of 53.7. Dolphins lost 9-27.

Overall: 6 playoff games: 132/216, 1418 yards, 8 TD's/9 INT's. Average QB rating of 83.4. Put up 113 playoff points during 6 playoff games. Average of 18.8 points per game. Career playoff record of 2-4.

Sanchez:

2009 @ Bengals: 12/15, 182 yards, completion % of 80%, 1 TD/0 INT's. QB rating of 139.4. Jets won 24-14.

2009 @ Chargers: 12/23, 100 yards, completion % of 52.2, 1 TD/1 INT. QB rating of 60.1. Jets won 17-14.

2009 @ IndyColts: 17/30, 257 yards, completion % of 56.7, 2 TD's/1 INT. QB rating of 93.3. Jets lost 17-30.

2010 @ IndyColts: 18/31, 189 yards, completion% of 58.1, 0 TD's/1 INT. QB rating of 62.4. Jets won 17-16.

2010 @ Patriots: 16/25, 194 yards, completion% of 64.0, 3 TD's/0 INT's. QB rating of 127.3. Jets won 28-21.

2010 @ Steelers: 20/33, 233 yards, completion % of 60.6, 2 TD's/0 INT's. QB rating of 102.2. Jets lost 19-24.

Overall: 6 playoff games: 95/157, 1155 yards, 9 TD's/3 INT's. Average QB rating of 97.45. Put up 122 playoff points during 6 playoff games. Average of 20.3 points per game. Career playoff record of 4-2.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about Mark Sanchez CRAPPING THE BED each and every time he faces a good defense ala Chad Pennington come playoff time.

Chad Pennington had QB ratings of 44.9, 65.5, 79.2 and 53.7 during his 4 playoff loses. That's only an average QB rating of 60.8 during the games that his team lost. To make it worse, he only threw 3 TD's compared to 8 INT's during those 4 playoff loses. His teams only averaged 13 points per game during those 4 playoff loses. Chad Pennington was THE REASON why his teams could never advance. He was awful against good D's.

Mark Sanchez on the other hand? He's put up QB ratings of 93.3 and 102.2 during our previous 2 playoff loses. No one can blame Sanchez for the Jets not beating both the Colts and Steelers to advance to the SB over the past two years. Sanchez did all he could do against those teams. Average QB rating of 97.5 during those two loses. 4 TD's compared to only 1 INT during those two AFCCG loses. The Jets averaged 18 points per game on the offensive side of the ball against both the Colts and Steelers combined. Sanchez wasn't perfect, but unlike Pennington, you can't PIN those two loses on Mark Sanchez himself.

All I know is this, we have a 3rd year quarterback in Sanchez who can perform against any defense out there. He's already proven it. If Pennington were quarterbacking this week against the Ravens, we'd all know we have no chance this Sunday in Baltimore. With Sanchez under cente, we at least know we have a fighting chance for offensive success.

To make a long story short, why would I create a silly thread, such as this one? For the fans who support our developing franchise QB in the making. For the fans who harp and bash Sanchez during each and every thread, it's funny, because I guess they've forgotten about all the other Jet QB's who've came before Sanchez.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers. He's only a 3rd year quarterback, but this Sanchez kid is a winner.

I just find it sad how everyone harps all over Sanchez, a young developing QB, who's already proven that he's able to compete against good D's and at the same time, these same fans who've been killing Sanchez for each and every mistake he's made, are the same fans who forget how dreadful we had it with Chad Pennington under center. Or what about Kellen? Yeah, you're right; Sanchez "sucks".

All I'm trying to say is this... At least we have a quarterback who gives us a fighting chance against tough D's. A franchise QB who we can actually build our team around for many of years to come. A quarterback who can perform (and has performed) come playoff time.

As long as Sanchez can stay healthy, we won't have to worry about which QB to trade up for during the draft, or which FA QB is a "must sign" etc, etc. We can BUILD our team around this kid. Not every quarterback will develope into a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but at least the Jets drafted a franchise QB. Bash away.

I just find it sad how everyone harps all over Sanchez, a young developing QB, who's already proven that he's able to compete against good D's and at the same time, these same fans who've been killing Sanchez for each and every mistake he's made, are the same fans who forget how dreadful we had it with Chad Pennington under center.

All I'm trying to say is this... At least we have a quarterback who gives us a fighting chance against tough D's.

When you put it like that averageness seems so awesome.

How about completion percentage? it might just be me being lazy, but I think our boy lost that one.

I love sanchez and loved chad, if he had half the arm of most of the qbs in the league he would have been awesome. and no one can deny that. chad's in the past, why keep bringing him up?? wheres the vinny threads? boomer? lol leave the man alone already

How about completion percentage? it might just be me being lazy, but I think our boy lost that one.

I love sanchez and loved chad, if he had half the arm of most of the qbs in the league he would have been awesome. and no one can deny that. chad's in the past, why keep bringing him up?? wheres the vinny threads? boomer? lol leave the man alone already

i can.. he was a pathetic yellow loser

I'm actually surprised it took so long for this thread.

Bravo!

What do you mean? This is every week. We've all took turns scrapping up numbers, because truthfully, Sanchez' numbers CLEARLY show a successful draft pick. The increase in production from year one to week 4 year 3 has been as steady as they have brought him along. He's already has the best record BY FAR of any jet QB. He's taken us further than many here have ever been with this team, and my two favorite things: 1. He is a winner, not a choker......do we have to state how important that is?? 2. He is not a limited guy. He makes all the throws, unlike Chad, and he could move unlike Vinny. Throw in leadership, smart, and says all the right things....and we have something many of us have only heard about in stories....a real live franchise QB.

Nice job pulling the stats. The kid makes it pretty easy. If you remember last week I put his numbers next to Favre, Manning and Elway (first three I saw on the refernce site) and he is neck and neck or ahead in every category.

He's also carrying the offense, despite a running game that;s in the cellar. Don't you remember, JFIQ, being down two touchdowns in the fourth behind poor Chad?? Can you ever remember having confidence trailing by 14 points in the final quarter like we did last week? I LIKE that! lmao

But with all that said, this is still a minority opinion. It's one of those baffling things.

When you put it like that averageness seems so awesome.

What averageness are you speaking of, Vic89? Sanchez? You can't tell me that 63% 900yards 6 TD 4 Ints ( and a fourth quarter comeback) / 2-1

in 3 games with the lousiest running game in the league is average. I'd say, simply going by the standard NFL benchmarks, that is "very good" to "great" short of "awesome" or 'elite' but far from average. No?

What do you mean? This is every week. We've all took turns scrapping up numbers, because truthfully, Sanchez' numbers CLEARLY show a successful draft pick. The increase in production from year one to week 4 year 3 has been as steady as they have brought him along. He's already has the best record BY FAR of any jet QB. He's taken us further than many here have ever been with this team, and my two favorite things: 1. He is a winner, not a choker......do we have to state how important that is?? 2. He is not a limited guy. He makes all the throws, unlike Chad, and he could move unlike Vinny. Throw in leadership, smart, and says all the right things....and we have something many of us have only heard about in stories....a real live franchise QB.

Nice job pulling the stats. The kid makes it pretty easy. If you remember last week I put his numbers next to Favre, Manning and Elway (first three I saw on the refernce site) and he is neck and neck or ahead in every category.

He's also carrying the offense, despite a running game that;s in the cellar. Don't you remember, JFIQ, being down two touchdowns in the fourth behind poor Chad?? Can you ever remember having confidence trailing by 14 points in the final quarter like we did last week? I LIKE that! lmao

But with all that said, this is still a minority opinion. It's one of those baffling things.

Excellent post lancemehl. And yes, I do remember being down by 10+ with Pennington under center. It was an awful feeling. Most of the time? He'd thrown an easy INT or even a pick 6, on a simple 12 yard out-route. It was hard to watch.

This thread wasn't to bash Chad Pennington though. I made this thread, because I'm thankful that we've landed a franchise QB such as Mark Sanchez. A quarterback that we can build our team around during drafts, and through free agency.

We need an OLB? Lets draft one to replace Bryan Thomas during round 1. We need a RT to replace Wayne Hunter? Lets draft one during round 2. We need a WR once Plaxico leaves? Lets draft one during round 3. At least we don't have to worry about drafting, finding, or getting lucky with a quarterback.

Sanchez improved in major ways last year, when compared to his rookie year. That's a great sign. What happened to the "sophmore slump" Sanchez critics were talking about during last years offseason? And as of right now? He's improved upon his sophmore season. His completion % and accuracy has improved big time (behind an awful offensive line thus far).

I have a strong feeling, that as a fan base, once this season is over and done with... We'll be able to say that Sanchez has improved each and every season (stat wise) since being drafted into the league. We all know Sanchez improved as a quarterback last year when compared to his rookie season. Only time will tell, but so far so good, he's improving... And I can't ask for anything else out of our quarterback; other than improvement.

What averageness are you speaking of, Vic89? Sanchez? You can't tell me that 63% 900yards 6 TD 4 Ints ( and a fourth quarter comeback) / 2-1

in 3 games with the lousiest running game in the league is average. I'd say, simply going by the standard NFL benchmarks, that is "very good" to "great" short of "awesome" or 'elite' but far from average. No?

I am a Sanchez fan and hope he grows into a top 10 QB. He is not one right now.

I love what he has done in the post season for the most part. What you and JFQ completely overlook is the long stretches Sanchez has experienced every season so far where he was flat out horrific along with the quality of the secondaries he has faced so far this year. I would say he is middle of the road right now with the potential to become much better if he does away with INT's like last week and staring down his receiver. Maybe a new OC would speed up that development.

Archived