Ground & Pound is BACK!

Integrity28

Addressing the team on Monday, a "furious" coach Rex Ryan told his players that the Jets will scrap their pass-heavy offense in favor of a run-first approach going forward.

"Ground and pound is back," reports beat writer Rich Cimini. According to LG/C Matt Slauson, Ryan was "emotionally hurt" after Sunday's loss to the Ravens, but "today, he was pissed." The approach would make sense if the Jets were generating any production from the running game. Through four games, New York ranks 30th in the league in yards-per-carry average (3.09) and starting running back Shonn Greene's 3.08 YPC clip ranks 50th among players with at least 15 rushing attempts. This is shaping up as a nightmare offense.

Great.

So, Rex has lost touch with reality apparently... we already do the whole run at their 8-men in the box and keep our own defense on the field too much thing, and then we fall behind and ask Sanchez to throw to get us back in the game... and then he gets clobbered because our O-line sucks, wish is the reason the running game didn't work to begin with.

Wow.

This is shaping up for a game vs. NE where we run, run, run, get stopped, then the "Schotty can't gameplan to attack the Patriots secondary" threads come... and round and round we go... LOL.

Why does Rex feel compelled to even declare sh*t like this? Go ******* fix it. Don't tell me about it... just fix it.

This is shaping up to be a disaster. The Jets dont have the horses to pull this off. The guys up front just arent good enough, Greene isnt trustworthy enough to handle the ball like that and LT is not that style of runner. Im sure he is trying to challenge his guys to prove everyone wrong, but what can you do when the talent just isnt there? Im guessing Colin Baxter will take the Turner "jack of all trades" role and they will need to sign a new TE to replace Mulligan for this to even have a hope of working. Just seems like it has no hope and might be an overreaction to one really bad game. The Jets have players who are meant to go down the field in Burress, Keller, and Holmes. They have to design ways to get them open not expect them to get out and block for Greene. Mason might do it if he was a starter, but the other two are not going to be good in that regard without touches.

This is shaping up for a game vs. NE where we run, run, run, get stopped, then the "Schotty can't gameplan to attack the Patriots secondary" threads come... and round and round we go... LOL.

Why does Rex feel compelled to even declare sh*t like this? Go ******* fix it. Don't tell me about it... just fix it.

+1.

Couldn't agree more.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ...

Just STFU Rex, would you already?

Just STFU and coach the team.

Geez man, all the yappin' this guy does is just gettin' old.

And I like him as a coach, but please just focus on COACHING THE TEAM instead of being the center ring clown at the circus.

Im guessing Colin Baxter will take the Turner "jack of all trades" role and they will need to sign a new TE to replace Mulligan for this to even have a hope of working.

Right on cue:

Jets are bringing in 10-year veteran tight end Brandon Manumaleuna for a visit tomorrow, per a source. Last played for Bears in 2010. #nyj

This team is ******* hopeless.

They are playing the Pats. They will probably be able to run. It's as good a time to make this proclamation as any.

If they run right at Wilfork-like they did Seymour last week and Ngata this week-that's freaking pointless. And either you will be asking Baxter or a diminished Mangold to block him. Good luck with that. And the idea you can keep pace with the Pats' offense scoring 17 points on a few 15-play 85 yard run-oriented drives is lunacy.It's looking like Hitler in the bunker on youtube.

Not sure what you mean at all... First of all, Rex didn't say it to the media, he said it to the team. If Matt Slauson decides to share, whatever. But either way, players and coaches have to answer questions every week. What do you want him to do, go back into the Mangini shell?

Not sure what you mean at all... First of all, Rex didn't say it to the media, he said it to the team. If Matt Slauson decides to share, whatever. But either way, players and coaches have to answer questions every week. What do you want him to do, go back into the Mangini shell?

In theory I wouldn't want him to give away a gameplan. It's Hermedwardsesque.

But in reality, I don't think he's giving away much. The whole planet knows the Jets are going to try to run the ball. Whether that split is 50/50 or 60/40 or 70/30, NE's preparation for the game is no different. It's not like he's announcing what the sequence of plays is going to be. I mean, BB will probably guess right a lot, but it's not like he sent BB an email with the play sequence.

So it's not my thing, but the proclamation won't matter once the game begins anyway.

You crowing about giving McFadden only 5.4 yds/carry ?

DMC had 75 yards and no TDs. Id say NE did a great job containing him and forcing Campbell to beat them.

Although, Ridley had almost 10 yards a carry http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/live/NFL_20111002_NE@OAK and he gets to play vs the 29th rushing defense in the NFL this Sunday. Cant wait!

DMC had 75 yards and no TDs. Id say NE did a great job containing him and forcing Campbell to beat them.

Although, Ridley had almost 10 yards a carry http://www.cbssports...20111002_NE@OAK and he gets to play vs the 29th rushing defense in the NFL this Sunday. Cant wait!

Perfect. That's what we want. The only way Sanchez has success is if the other team is trying to contain the running game and forcing Sanchez to beat them.

Read the article you posted. Rex told his team and Slauson told Rich Cimini..

I did read it, my disdain for him declaring it had more to do with the gibberish he was spitting during his press conference today.

we;; the jets running did really well in the past (going to 2 afc championships). Sanchez passing 40 somthing times a game is not working out so why not go back to ground and pound, hopefully mcknight gets some action i wanna see what he can do.

This is not the 09-10 OL. This OL sucks

Archived