Rex vs Namath

Joewillie2k12

I heard Rex make a wisecrack about Namath saying that any QB would have played bad with the protection Sanchez got vs the Ravans even Joe Montana, then he made a wisecrack stating well maybe not Joe Namath. Dear Rex I like you a lot and think your a good head coach but please dont start a fight with our beloved HOF QB, he speaks the truth-from outing the teams the inability to coach up Sanchez to take a simple snap from center to drafting bad players and keeping them around taking up space. KEEP MAKING IT REAL JOE!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Namath again lays into Jets

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 4, 2011, 7:10 AM EDTj-namath.jpg?w=133 AP

The man who led the New York Jets to victory in Super Bowl III is not done ripping this year’s version of the Jets.

Joe Namath, who last week said Rex Ryan has made the team too cocky, this week said G.M. Mike Tannenbaum has done a bad job in the draft, especially on the offensive line, where 2010 second-round pick Vlad Ducasse hasn’t worked out as expected.

“I’m not sure what’s going on there,” Namath said on ESPN 1050, via the New York Post. “We picked some poor players and we’re not owning up to it. That’s what it amounts to. You’ve got guys on the roster who have been picked and you keep trying to say, ‘OK, they’re going to work out.’ Well, guess what? We tried that with [Vernon] Gholston and it didn’t work out. You have to [say], ‘Hey, I made a bad pick, a bad selection,’ and move on. The Jets didn’t do that and it’s a little late for the season to get it righted.”

But while Namath criticized the Jets’ offensive line, he also criticized Jets receiver Santonio Holmes for telling reporters after Sunday’s game that the line needs to do a better job of protecting Mark Sanchez.

“That was a mistake, it surely was,” Namath said. “For Holmes, as a captain, to go outside, to the media, and start pointing fingers. . . . I mean, he’s right about the ball getting out late to him [on Sanchez's third-quarter interception], and he’s right about the offensive line, but that can create a problem in the locker room. . . . That divisiveness can bury a team. They’ve got to correct that right away.”

Namath isn’t necessarily wrong in his criticisms, but he is running the risk of sounding like his criticisms are personal. No one likes to hear the old guy talk about how things were different “back in my day,” and that’s what Namath is starting to sound like.

The 2 points that Joe makes here - that Tanny doesn't want to own up to the bad pick in Ducasse, and that Santonio shouldn't be throwing the O-line under the bus to the media are BOTH solid and correct points. Joe is right.

The way PFT is trying to spin it? Well, Florio is a woman, so its a bunch of mellow-dramatic sh*t.

The 2 points that Joe makes here - that Tanny doesn't want to own up to the bad pick in Ducasse, and that Santonio shouldn't be throwing the O-line under the bus to the media are BOTH solid and correct points. Joe is right.

The way PFT is trying to spin it? Well, Florio is a woman, so its a bunch of mellow-dramatic sh*t.

And you know what? Namath continually running his mouth to the media every game with obvious intent for it to get back to Rex isnt helping either. He's doing more bad than good.

I've grown to dislike Namath. Which is unbelievable. As he was always held as a hero in my house growing up.

But he's right on with both statements here.

I don't think they should have released Ducasse and moved on. As he was expected to be a project. But it was painfuly obvious in the preseason that he wasn't ready to play.

At that point Tanny has to decide that Ducasse will ride the practice squad and go out and sign a quality back-up.

Also the fact that he didn't learn from the Gholston disaster and wasted another draft pick on a workout wonder is a little disconcerting.

But Tanny/Rex have led the team to the best run they've had in my lifetime.

So Tanny/Rex > Namath in my book.

Fire Tanny and Rex.

Let Namath buy the groceries and cook the dinner.

Super Bowl!!!!

Meh, I don't think anyone is saying that JIF.

Ducasse is a bust, it wouldn't be that big a deal if they wouldn't have positioned the guy as the #6 OL. Frankly, Ducasse as the 8th OL and a project is okay... but as the first sub on the line, and someone the team won't keep on the field over players like Baxter? Well, that's a problem.

Regarding his comments on Santonio... there's really no argument here. You don't throw your teammates under the bus to the meda. Its a universally accepted unspoken rule, he should have kept it in the locker room.

And you know what? Namath continually running his mouth to the media every game with obvious intent for it to get back to Rex isnt helping either. He's doing more bad than good.

Are you kidding me? Rex has critics EVERYWHERE and all Joe is at this point is another guy in the media with an opinion... I agree with his opinion... and if it makes it to Rex and resonates as being right with Rex, maybe he'll get Holmes to keep that sh*t in the family... maybe he'll ride Tanny to do something about the OL, or actual involve himself finally. My guess is though, that Rex ignores Joe - just like he does everyone else in the media. So "more harm than good" is pretty much pure conjecture pal.

Nobody is above criticism. NOBODY.

I know you and I have the same opinions of Rex - and I haven't changed mine. I also know that if he is going to continue to grow from a DC to an HC, that constructive criticism will be key. In this case, Joe's giving him good advice about Holmes... and about how much he should trust Tanny evaluating talent. IMO

I've grown to dislike Namath. Which is unbelievable. As he was always held as a hero in my house growing up.

But he's right on with both statements here.

I don't think they should have released Ducasse and moved on. As he was expected to be a project. But it was painfuly obvious in the preseason that he wasn't ready to play.

At that point Tanny has to decide that Ducasse will ride the practice squad and go out and sign a quality back-up.

Also the fact that he didn't learn from the Gholston disaster and wasted another draft pick on a workout wonder is a little disconcerting.

But Tanny/Rex have led the team to the best run they've had in my lifetime.

So Tanny/Rex > Namath in my book.

This isn't one of those "pick a side" types of discussions. Joe is right on both counts.... saying he's right doesn't mean you are anti-Rex or Tanny. However, it does mean that you don't have your head up your a$$ about what is obvious.

Holmes should keep that nonsense in the locker room. Truth.

Tanny screwed up his assessment of the OL depth. Ducasse should be the 8th or 9th guy, not the 6th. I know, I know Turner and Hunter, yada, yada... the minute they lost Turner to a long-term injury, they should have made a move. At that time Gurode, McKinnie, as well as a handful of others were out there... and if they are good enough for Ozzie Newsome, they are good enough for me.

Correct, only Rex has earned the right to run his mouth. :blink:

Ducasse is a bust, it wouldn't be that big a deal if they wouldn't have positioned the guy as the #6 OL. Frankly, Ducasse as the 8th OL and a project is okay... but as the first sub on the line, and someone the team won't keep on the field over players like Baxter? Well, that's a problem.

Regarding his comments on Santonio... there's really no argument here. You don't throw your teammates under the bus to the meda. Its a universally accepted unspoken rule, he should have kept it in the locker room.

I have no problem with Holmes telling the truth to the media. We need to fix protection, no sh*t, big deal. I highly doubt this isnt known around the locker room.

And I dont have a problem with the Jets not giving up on Ducassse in his 2nd year. He was a project and everyone knew it. Those types of players you have to committ to and giving up after one season when he wasnt needed is silly. I'm sure the Jets never wanted him to see the field. Its their fault for nothing having another option behind Turner after he went down...but I dont think you could have predicted Hunter being this bad and Moore clearly missing a step coupled with losing the best Center in the game and your best back up.

Are you kidding me? Rex has critics EVERYWHERE and all Joe is at this point is another guy in the media with an opinion... I agree with his opinion... and if it makes it to Rex and resonates as being right with Rex, maybe he'll get Holmes to keep that sh*t in the family... maybe he'll ride Tanny to do something about the OL, or actual involve himself finally. My guess is though, that Rex ignores Joe - just like he does everyone else in the media. So "more harm than good" is pretty much pure conjecture pal.

Nobody is above criticism. NOBODY.

I know you and I have the same opinions of Rex - and I haven't changed mine. I also know that if he is going to continue to grow from a DC to an HC, that constructive criticism will be key. In this case, Joe's giving him good advice about Holmes... and about how much he should trust Tanny evaluating talent. IMO

Calm down Ape Nuts. Of course he deserves criticism...but not from someone who is supposed to be a Jet. Namath is doing this with specific intent...IMO, it creates more bad than good. Now, Rex has to field questions about Namath on top of, why do you guy suck. Its just another distraction. Clearly.

Correct, only Rex has earned the right to run his mouth. :blink:

Thats not what I'm saying. Namath isnt helping out the situation. Its just creating another distraction that the Jets dont need.

Headlines "Superstar QB who guaranteed the only Jets SB says Rex is a big mouth idiot" - how does that help the situation?

I have no problem with Holmes telling the truth to the media. We need to fix protection, no sh*t, big deal. I highly doubt this isnt known around the locker room.

And I dont have a problem with the Jets not giving up on Ducassse in his 2nd year. He was a project and everyone knew it. Those types of players you have to committ to and giving up after one season when he wasnt needed is silly. I'm sure the Jets never wanted him to see the field. Its their fault for nothing having another option behind Turner after he went down...but I dont think you could have predicted Hunter being this bad and Moore clearly missing a step coupled with losing the best Center in the game and your best back up.

Calm down Ape Nuts. Of course he deserves criticism...but not from someone who is supposed to be a Jet. Namath is doing this with specific intent...IMO, it creates more bad than good. Now, Rex has to field questions about Namath on top of, why do you guy suck. Its just another distraction. Clearly.

Exactly. If Namath has something to say to Rex he should pick up the ******* phone.

The reality of the situation is that Rex Ryan, as good a football coach as he is, has consciously chosen to INVITE more criticism with his arrogant and boastfull approach to coaching.

You can't conduct yourself in the manner in which he conducts himself and then get offended when people criticize you.

Does he get more criticism than most? Probably. But he brings it upon himself AND his team because he has made them everybody's favorite team to hate.

This is the problem with being brash. If you win it all quick, you're beloved. If the Jets go another year or two without winning, or God Forbid, have one bad season, even the Jets fans will start to turn. The act gets old real fast when the results don't come with it.

He needs to tone down the rhetoric.

By the way ... while I wish Namath would keep his comments to himself, he couldn't be more right with just about everything he's said up to this point about Rex and the Jets.

Thats not what I'm saying. Namath isnt helping out the situation. Its just creating another distraction that the Jets dont need.

Headlines "Superstar QB who guaranteed the only Jets SB says Rex is a big mouth idiot" - how does that help the situation?

Hopefully it will wake Rex up, less talk more substance.

Exactly. If Namath has something to say to Rex he should pick up the ******* phone.

Yes, or tailor you message. IMO, this is has malicious intent. If he was coming out and saying things like....The Jets need to fix the OL problems. IMO, maybe the FO messed up by not getting more depth. etc etc etc. But I'm confident in Rex and Co. that they'll fix it. He's a great coach with a great team...etc.

It just comes off totally different. Namath is trying to create controversy. Its painfully obvious.

Rex isn't going to change because Namath says something.

Guess what? Rex has had truck loads of substance the last 2 yrs.

Yes he has, but it's this year now.

I don't expect him to, so what's the problem with calling him out for it?

Namath speaks the truth and that is what he gets paid from ESPN to do. He's not Chis Carter mouthing off with ridiculous statements just to get some face time on ESPN2

Uhm, Namath isn't an ESPN analyst. He's a guest on the Michael Kaye radio show. He gets the standard guest fee. He's not on the ESPN payroll.

I can't understand Jets fans sometimes. Ducasse was NOT a project when he was drafted. We had an open spot at LG when he was drafted with the release of Faneca. Ducasse was supposed to be the possible starter at LG if Slauson wasn't cutting it. Don't any of you recall the Hard Knocks episode when Rex was watching Slauson getting trucked constantly and wondering aloud how bad the guy behind him (Ducasse) must be if he can't beat out Slauson? At the absolute worst Ducasse was supposed to fill in for Woody at RT, his natural position, once Woody was either cut or retired. Ducasse was NOT drafted to sit for the next 3-4 years and develop. You don't take guys in the 2nd round to do that. It's like Ducasse is so bad that people suddenly just switch from expecting him to potentially start as a rookie to just assuming he must be some kind of pet project. Rob Turner was a project. You take projects in the late rounds or they go undrafted (as Turner was). Wayne Hunter was a guy who had underachieved everywhere he went before last year. It wasn't even conceivable that either one of them were better than Ducasse. Ducasse was a huge swing and miss and it hurt this team tremendously.

I'm calm gheymofag, just don't agree with you. I don't see how the fans arguing over Namath's relevancy as a critic distracts the team. Like I said, I'm pretty positive Rex ignores it, like he does everyone else in the media... you have to ignore it, in his position. So I go back to what I said earlier... Holmes wants to be a captain? Wants to come down on his OL? Do it in the locker room. Plain and simple. Holmes will be a bigger distraction mouthing off to the media about his teammates than Joe Namath ever could dream of being.

I also never said give up on Ducasse in his 2nd year... I said entering the season with Ducasse as your 6th OL was Tanny's mistake. If you whiff on a 2nd rounder, and you need him to step up... find a replacement, don't spin it into a story about how much potential the project has... bury the project on the roster and get talent in the meantime that can keep you competitive. Tanny didn't do this, it was a mistake.

Yes he has, but it's this year now.

I don't expect him to, so what's the problem with calling him out for it?

What's wrong? It rings hollow. Rex talks the talk and walks the walk. He backs up his words. Telling him to shutup is against his nature.

I really don't get why people complain about Rex or anyone else talking.

Are people seriously that down on Rex? Jet fans.......

I'm not. I'm trying to discuss what he needs to work on... but, made the mistake of trying to discuss it on a message board that turns everything into a polarized argument.

I pick Rex's side - which must mean I'm not allowed to discuss shortcomings, mistakes, or things he could do better. I didn't get the memo I suppose.

Beat me to it on this one. The idea that the Jets should have cut a 2nd rounder to start year 2 is beyond idiotic, so Namath is dead wrong on that one, but it certainly is a legitimate point that if the guy isn't ready to go, you bury him on the depth chart and give him another year to prove he can get it done. Once Turner was hurt, there's absolutely no reason for the Jets not to bring in one or more veteran OL to fill in depth positions over Vlad. Hell, even with Turner healthy it probably would've been wise to bring at least one of those type of guys in.

As far as Holmes, the guy is an a$$hole, I don't know why this is news to anyone. There's a reason the Jets got him for the price that they did in the first place. He's just one of those players that as long as the Jets are winning he'll be the good solider but as soon as they lose, he's going to be a problem. Hell, just look at last year, 2 playoffs wins wasn't even enough to keep him from publicly bashing the team as soon as they lost in the AFC Championship. Granted he didn't catch too much heat for it because it was Schotty and most people agreed with his evaluation that the guy blows at his job, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's who he is. He shouldn't be saying anything anyway, but frankly, Holmes has been far from impressive so far this year, so it's all the more reason he really needs to shut his mouth.

What's wrong? It rings hollow. Rex talks the talk and walks the walk. He backs up his words. Telling him to shutup is against his nature.

Talking trash, and throwing teammates under the bus are two totally different things. I see what Holmes did as the latter.

Perhaps its no big deal, but having played team sports I am ingrained with the mentality that you "keep it in the family" when it comes to internal conflict.

Yeah, because a 70 year-old fan giving his opinion is gonna bring the organization to its knees.

Sounds like a guy doing anything he can to stay relevant long past the time people care.

This was actually about to be my next comment after reading through the rest of this thread. Namath is clearly doing everything he can to keep himself in the spotlight and his name in the media. It's kind of sad.

Not complaining, just think if Rex can talk, then why can't Joe.

I mean they both guaranteed Super bowls, right?

Sounds like a guy doing anything he can to stay relevant long past the time people care.

I can't hate on Namath for trying to make a buck... he's how old now, and he's taken it on himself to be the engine for his own web content and social media campaign. He says things that start discussions, its actually quite brilliant, because if you look at the model he has set up... he's build a small social web experience around his point of view, to get and keep the conversation going.

Good for him I say. You don't see many old farts using the social web successfully, and he's a good case study for industry professionals imo.

Archived