Rex vs Namath

Joewillie2k12

This was actually about to be my next comment after reading through the rest of this thread. Namath is clearly doing everything he can to keep himself in the spotlight and his name in the media. It's kind of sad.

Its not sad... he's 70 years old, and this is his passion. I hope at 70 years old I am able to put down the prune juice long enough to be at the center of a social web experience related entirely to the Jets.

Oh wait... that might be ******* miserable... but you get my point, I think.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, Boozer, Ape & BG.

Vlad was brought in to compete for a starting job last year and be a starter this year. The lack of offseason has really hurt him and his development is in shot phase. As such, there was no way Rex, Schitty & Callahan should have trusted him as the 6th OLIneman when Turner went down.

And, yes, Holmes is an ahole. He's always been an ahole. The difference now is he has the big contract and some sway in the lockerroom and coaching staff. So, ultimately, his statements may have been a necessary evil. I don't know how long Rex can keep his head in the sand about this.

Back to the Oline--I'm wondering if the Zone Blocking Scheme that worked so well in 2008 and 2009 and mostly 2010 is a detriment now with Horrendous Hunter, Baxter, and Vlad. It's not just for running. In Zone blocking the Oline has to block an area and not just a man. Maybe guys are getting confused. Vlad looked confused when he just let Ngata go.

I can't understand Jets fans sometimes. Ducasse was NOT a project when he was drafted. We had an open spot at LG when he was drafted with the release of Faneca. Ducasse was supposed to be the possible starter at LG if Slauson wasn't cutting it. Don't any of you recall the Hard Knocks episode when Rex was watching Slauson getting trucked constantly and wondering aloud how bad the guy behind him (Ducasse) must be if he can't beat out Slauson? At the absolute worst Ducasse was supposed to fill in for Woody at RT, his natural position, once Woody was either cut or retired. Ducasse was NOT drafted to sit for the next 3-4 years and develop. You don't take guys in the 2nd round to do that. It's like Ducasse is so bad that people suddenly just switch from expecting him to potentially start as a rookie to just assuming he must be some kind of pet project. Rob Turner was a project. You take projects in the late rounds or they go undrafted (as Turner was). Wayne Hunter was a guy who had underachieved everywhere he went before last year. It wasn't even conceivable that either one of them were better than Ducasse. Ducasse was a huge swing and miss and it hurt this team tremendously.

Wrong. The kid was a project. He was a 4th round grade until the Senior Bowl where he went off. His stock skyrocketed and it still landed him in the back of the 2nd round basically a 3rd round pick. He doesnt have a ton of experience playing Football and he played at UMass for christ sake. Coming out of college the book on him was he was raw and dominated lesser competition and that he needed a lot of work to take it to the next level. I'm sure they had higher hopes for him and didnt want him to be this bad...but acting like the Jets were drafting an immediate starter is just flat out wrong.

This is the best write up I could find on the kid coming out. Its a great analysis that literally pin points everything he still currently struggles with. I can remember the talk around this very site...everyone knew this was a boom or bust pick and that the Jets had the luxury of drafting because even with the absence of Fanceca...Slauson, Turner or Hunter could have filled that spot. Faneca was pretty bad in pass protection but good at run blocking...just like the guys who the Jets had on their bench.

Here's a link to Vlad's draft stock. He was a project. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1251194

Talking trash, and throwing teammates under the bus are two totally different things. I see what Holmes did as the latter.

Perhaps its no big deal, but having played team sports I am ingrained with the mentality that you "keep it in the family" when it comes to internal conflict.

I agree with you. Holmes was in the wrong, but it may be a necessary evil.

Not complaining, just think if Rex can talk, then why can't Joe.

I mean they both guaranteed Super bowls, right?

Rex never guaranteed a Super Bowl. He talks about it. Says he think his team is going to it, but he never pulled what Namath did. Namath said "We're going to win the game, I guarantee it."

I can't hate on Namath for trying to make a buck... he's how old now, and he's taken it on himself to be the engine for his own web content and social media campaign. He says things that start discussions, its actually quite brilliant, because if you look at the model he has set up... he's build a small social web experience around his point of view, to get and keep the conversation going.

Good for him I say. You don't see many old farts using the social web successfully, and he's a good case study for industry professionals imo.

Not hating.

Just looking at his comments through the lens we both agree they should be viewed with.

Sounds like a guy doing anything he can to stay relevant long past the time people care.

Exactly.

Yeah, because a 70 year-old fan giving his opinion is gonna bring the organization to its knees.

Wow, you guys are totally blowing what I'm saying out of proportion. Namath is trying to create controversy. To deny that, is foolish. Should it effect the Jets...god I hope not. But to act like its not a distraction when they have enough problems already is very nieve.

I agree with you. Holmes was in the wrong, but it may be a necessary evil.

Rex never guaranteed a Super Bowl. He talks about it. Says he think his team is going to it, but he never pulled what Namath did. Namath said "We're going to win the game, I guarantee it."

All the more reason, I like to hear Joe talk more.

I'm not. I'm trying to discuss what he needs to work on... but, made the mistake of trying to discuss it on a message board that turns everything into a polarized argument.

I pick Rex's side - which must mean I'm not allowed to discuss shortcomings, mistakes, or things he could do better. I didn't get the memo I suppose.

I'm not saying you. Just some people are already calling for heads. I agree with you no one is above criticism. I think you at least keep it within a reasonable scope.

Exactly.

Wow, you guys are totally blowing what I'm saying out of proportion. Namath is trying to create controversy. To deny that, is foolish. Should it effect the Jets...god I hope not. But to act like its not a distraction when they have enough problems already is very nieve.

Who is blowing what, exactly? No homo

Exactly.

Pretty much. He's not just any fan.

He's our most recognizable legend and a tie to our only championship. Look at any other situation. What if Montana started spouting off about Harbaugh being a moron and how he hasn't won anything so he should operate differently. When someone with that much recognition publicly, and with direct ties to the organization starts talking sh*t, the media is going to grab onto that and plaster it everywhere. If any random analyst says it we would call him a moron here but it wouldn't end up back page material like this.

Pretty much. He's not just any fan.

He's our most recognizable legend and a tie to our only championship. Look at any other situation. What if Montana started spouting off about Harbaugh being a moron and how he hasn't won anything so he should operate differently. When someone with that much recognition publicly, and with direct ties to the organization starts talking sh*t, the media is going to grab onto that and plaster it everywhere. If any random analyst says it we would call him a moron here but it wouldn't end up back page material like this.

Thats my point. He's the most recognizable figure in Jets history and he's taking direct malicious shots at probably the best thing to happen to this organization since that drunk guaranteed victory. And he's doing it during the most difficult time in Rex's tenure. If this is Rich Cimini...nobody gives a ****. Since its Joe Willy Namath, Rex has to answer questions and has to deal with another distraction when he's already got enough on his plate.

Do I think this should negatively impact the Jets? No. But it doesnt help, thats for damn sure. If Joe was trying to help the situation, he'd be singing a different tune.

Thats my point. He's the most recognizable figure in Jets history and he's taking direct malicious shots at probably the best thing to happen to this organization since that drunk guaranteed victory. And he's doing it during the most difficult time in Rex's tenure. If this is Rich Cimini...nobody gives a ****. Since its Joe Willy Namath, Rex has to answer questions and has to deal with another distraction when he's already got enough on his plate.

Do I think this should negatively impact the Jets? No. But it doesnt help, thats for damn sure. If Joe was trying to help the situation, he'd be singing a different tune.

JiF, when you talk like Rex you have to expect this when things do not go right.

I'd rather hear if from Joe, than a schmuck like Cimini.

JiF, when you talk like Rex you have to expect this when things do not go right.

I'd rather hear if from Joe, than a schmuck like Cimini.

I do expect this but not from one of our own. The approach is off. He's trying to create controversy. Thats the wrong thing to do if you have the Jets best interest in mind...especially when its not your job.

Joe's a drunk moron, right or wrong.

I do expect this but not from one of our own. The approach is off. He's trying to create controversy. Thats the wrong thing to do if you have the Jets best interest in mind...especially when its not your job.

Joe's a drunk moron, right or wrong.

O NOEZ DONT TALK LIKE DAT ABOUT TEH NAYMETH

All the more reason, I like to hear Joe talk more.

That's fine and Joe has a right to talk like anybody else. But I agree with Jif that the reason is Joe's comments aren't constructive, they cause more distraction, and only purpose is to cause controversy.

Further, if Rex rights the ship and Jets end up in the SB during his tenure, I don't want to see Namath anywhere near the team or in the host city during SB week. You don't crap on the team and then try to bask in the team's glory.

This is their own fault...they were the people who invited Namath to TC last year and let him sit in on the QB meeting when he was speaking about Sanchez taking the snaps. That probably made him think he's actually relevant again, but I'm one of those that wishes he would just shut up. He should have never gone to the media with this stuff. Now, the dickheads in the media (i.e. Cimini) are going to go to Joe after every single ******* game to try to get his opinion. I honestly don't care what someone thinks who played the game before I was even born in 1972. I respect his contributions to the team, but that's where my loyalties to Namath end. Some people act like he can do or say no wrong, and that's just foolish.

This is their own fault...they were the people who invited Namath to TC last year and let him sit in on the QB meeting when he was speaking about Sanchez taking the snaps. That probably made him think he's actually relevant again, but I'm one of those that wishes he would just shut up. He should have never gone to the media with this stuff. Now, the dickheads in the media (i.e. Cimini) are going to go to Joe after every single ******* game to try to get his opinion. I honestly don't care what someone thinks who played the game before I was even born in 1972. I respect his contributions to the team, but that's where my loyalties to Namath end. Some people act like he can do or say no wrong, and that's just foolish.

That was for HBO.

It "probably didn't make him think he was relevant again" because, as is the case with most human beings - he never thought he wasn't relevant. He's just a guy with an opinion, like most of us. All he has is his video blog, his passion for the team and a point of view... sounds like pretty much everyone here. The ONLY differentiation is in who he is to the franchise and fan base, it doesn't mean anything though... especially when he's saying things that are commonly accepted truths of football.

Don't throw your teammates under the bus in the press. = what he said about Santonio this week.

Don't take your opponents lightly... and if you are going to talk the talk, then walk the walk. = what he said about Rex last week.

If you don't prioritize protecting the QB, you are going to suck. = what he said about Tanny and Ducasse this week.

Honestly, none of these 3 statements is anything other than common cliche statements we've been hearing as football fans for decades.

Wrong. The kid was a project. He was a 4th round grade until the Senior Bowl where he went off. His stock skyrocketed and it still landed him in the back of the 2nd round basically a 3rd round pick. He doesnt have a ton of experience playing Football and he played at UMass for christ sake. Coming out of college the book on him was he was raw and dominated lesser competition and that he needed a lot of work to take it to the next level. I'm sure they had higher hopes for him and didnt want him to be this bad...but acting like the Jets were drafting an immediate starter is just flat out wrong. This is the best write up I could find on the kid coming out. Its a great analysis that literally pin points everything he still currently struggles with. I can remember the talk around this very site...everyone knew this was a boom or bust pick and that the Jets had the luxury of drafting because even with the absence of Fanceca...Slauson, Turner or Hunter could have filled that spot. Faneca was pretty bad in pass protection but good at run blocking...just like the guys who the Jets had on their bench. Here's a link to Vlad's draft stock. He was a project. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1251194

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree, mainly because you're wrong. :tongue:

I think Namath gets asked questions and he answers them as honestly as he can. We're just not used to seeing this in the media. You're either a relentless homer like Greg Buttle or a professional chain-puller like Francesa. Namath could give a sh*t about what the organization thinks about him. He's an icon who will be here long after Rex, Tannenbaum and Vlad Ducasse are gone.

And you know what? Namath continually running his mouth to the media every game with obvious intent for it to get back to Rex isnt helping either. He's doing more bad than good.

I don't think it has any meaningful impact one way or another. And at least when Namath feels like running his mouth it doesn't cost us a timeout.

I think Namath gets asked questions and he answers them as honestly as he can. We're just not used to seeing this in the media. You're either a relentless homer like Greg Buttle or a professional chain-puller like Francesa. Namath could give a sh*t about what the organization thinks about him. He's an icon who will be here long after Rex, Tannenbaum and Vlad Ducasse are gone.

Nobody is asking Namath any questions. He spews this crap on his video blog.

Yeah, Joe hasn't been relevant since 69. He openly criticizes the jets, but then gets angry when a team captain comes forward and explains why they lost. He can go die in a fire. He's the ultimate hypocrite and he's retarded ta boot.

Soooooooooo...distractions are a thing now?

Elementary, cactus head.

Jets win = team is loose and fun

Jews lose = too many distractions

Wow. Its unreal sometimes. You say one thing and then you're thrown into a bucket.

Have fun fellas.

Archived